PDA

View Full Version : House Money

MannyIsGod
04-27-2011, 10:37 PM
When I played poker I obviously wanted to win each hand I was in. Of course that is impossible and the bad players will win from you from time to time. The thing is, you actually liked to see bad players win and build up a good pile of chips.

Thats the point when they started playing with house money. They were running well and they would just play loose and wild. That works for awhile, but eventually they'd lose their stack and would keep playing loosely and would lose it all.

There's a kind of analogous situation to that in basketball. When everything is going their way the Griz can't miss. Sam Young puts up near career highs, OJ Mayo plays like he's not a bust, Zach Randolph tosses in 3 pointers, and Marc Gasol looks like a future all star. They're playing with House Money. Confidence is huge in basketball. You don't think as much, and you just act which turns out well when you're a finely tuned athlete and NBA player. You're playing free and loose. Things are easy.

Well, the Griz just lost a little bit of that house money. Now being down and falling behind in the 2nd doesn't mean you go home to play game 6, it means you go back to San Antonio to play the four time NBA champs in a game 7. You think about that and you're not as loose. All of a sudden that rim looks a bit smaller and you feel it all slipping away.

In other words, your nuts shrivel a bit and maybe you remember you're an eight seed. The Griz are a young team who only within the past week won their first playoff game in franchise history. Right up until the Neal shot they had gotten nearly every break in the series and had yet to take a real punch. Even the Ginobili shot seemed like another break that was going to lead to Memphis winning.

So lets see how well they do without some of that House Money. Lets see how they react to being punched right in the mouth. They're definitely going to feed off their crowd, but the stakes are much higher now and thats going to affect them.

The Spurs showed the heart of a champion tonight. Hopefully, the Griz will show the heart of an eight seed on Friday.

MannyIsGod
04-28-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm gonna try again!

Bump.

InRareForm
04-28-2011, 12:51 AM
Those jumpshots are going to harder to make for that young grizz team in game 6. WIth Parker looking great in OT, he can hopefully continue that going into game 6.

If Grizz still drain those FG's at the pace they have been, kudos, they deserve to move on..because those motherfckers are relentless. I like the Spurs chances tho of making this another close game in Mem.

Winner of game 6 wins series.

gospursgojas
04-28-2011, 12:51 AM
I with you manny. I said a few days ago that all the smack Tony allen and even Hollins was talking showed you they were calling it series a lil too early. And it would work in the spurs' favor.

gospursgojas
04-28-2011, 12:52 AM
Those jumpshots are going to harder to make for that young grizz team in game 6. WIth Parker looking great in OT, he can hopefully continue that going into game 6.

If Grizz still drain those FG's at the pace they have been, kudos, they deserve to move on..because those motherfckers are relentless. I like the Spurs chances tho of making this another close game in Mem.

Winner of game 6 wins series.

Yes. It fucking pisses me off that they cant seem to miss from 15-20 ft.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2011, 12:53 AM
You're damn right, I've been talking about confidence as well. Spurs need to ride it as much as they can, they need to roll into Memphis with attitude, energy, and confidence after that win. It's surprising how much better you shoot the ball with confidence. Just look at how cocky some of the Memphis players are...it doesn't surprise me one bit that they've been hot as hell.

4>0rings
04-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Make it rain on game 6!

Nathan89
04-28-2011, 01:08 AM
BMH3QJxIzJk

Mark in Austin
04-28-2011, 01:11 AM
I don't know. Spurs barely won a home game in OT where even Manu said he just got lucky on his last shot. Bonner and Jefferson shooting 2-8 combined from behind the arc. Still no answer to Z-Bo.

Don't get me wrong. I hope the Spurs win. But I'd be surprised if they do.

InRareForm
04-28-2011, 01:13 AM
I don't know. Spurs barely won a home game in OT where even Manu said he just got lucky on his last shot. Bonner and Jefferson shooting 2-8 combined from behind the arc. Still no answer to Z-Bo.

Don't get me wrong. I hope the Spurs win. But I'd be surprised if they do.

I think with the clutch 3 point shots we just hit, the confidence on the 3ball has emerged. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Spurs hit a nice streak of 3's if they can get some looks.

mingus
04-28-2011, 01:15 AM
When I played poker I obviously wanted to win each hand I was in. Of course that is impossible and the bad players will win from you from time to time. The thing is, you actually liked to see bad players win and build up a good pile of chips.

Thats the point when they started playing with house money. They were running well and they would just play loose and wild. That works for awhile, but eventually they'd lose their stack and would keep playing loosely and would lose it all.

There's a kind of analogous situation to that in basketball. When everything is going their way the Griz can't miss. Sam Young puts up near career highs, OJ Mayo plays like he's not a bust, Zach Randolph tosses in 3 pointers, and Marc Gasol looks like a future all star. They're playing with House Money. Confidence is huge in basketball. You don't think as much, and you just act which turns out well when you're a finely tuned athlete and NBA player. You're playing free and loose. Things are easy.

Well, the Griz just lost a little bit of that house money. Now being down and falling behind in the 2nd doesn't mean you go home to play game 6, it means you go back to San Antonio to play the four time NBA champs in a game 7. You think about that and you're not as loose. All of a sudden that rim looks a bit smaller and you feel it all slipping away.

In other words, your nuts shrivel a bit and maybe you remember you're an eight seed. The Griz are a young team who only within the past week won their first playoff game in franchise history. Right up until the Neal shot they had gotten nearly every break in the series and had yet to take a real punch. Even the Ginobili shot seemed like another break that was going to lead to Memphis winning.

So lets see how well they do without some of that House Money. Lets see how they react to being punched right in the mouth. They're definitely going to feed off their crowd, but the stakes are much higher now and thats going to affect them.

The Spurs showed the heart of a champion tonight. Hopefully, the Griz will show the heart of an eight seed on Friday.

that's one of the reasons i want the Spurs to double on Randolph more than they have. make these unproven guys hit 3s under pressure. 3 consecutive misses or so could be the difference b/w young scoring 18 and 4.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2011, 01:27 AM
that's one of the reasons i want the Spurs to double on Randolph more than they have. make these unproven guys hit 3s under pressure. 3 consecutive misses or so could be the difference b/w young scoring 18 and 4.

Pardon me but I don't want OJ Mayo taking open 3s. He's not the next Kobe, but he can still shoot. Play Splitter more on Gasol while Duncan is on Randolph and the problem is reduced as much as possible.

mingus
04-28-2011, 01:31 AM
Pardon me but I don't want OJ Mayo taking open 3s. He's not the next Kobe, but he can still shoot. Play Splitter more on Gasol while Duncan is on Randolph and the problem is reduced as much as possible.

no i agree with Mayo. I mean Young and Allen.

As far as Duncan & Splitter. I'm not so sure. In game 4 the offense looked bad when both those guys were on the floor together. Just not enough chemistry. Small sample size, but still... Splitter's role should be to play minutes where he played them he did tonight IMO.

Nathan89
04-28-2011, 01:35 AM
I think Tony and Manu are going to be a lot more aggressive next game. The confidence is going to be higher for Manu,Tony,Neal, and Hill. The only thing I am worried about is Randolph because he is unstoppable.

gospursgojas
04-28-2011, 01:38 AM
I think Tony and Manu are going to be a lot more aggressive next game. The confidence is going to be higher for Manu,Tony,Neal, and Hill. The only thing I am worried about is Randolph because he is unstoppable.

Let him get his....stop everyone else. No fucking 3's from Mayo, no shitty mid range jumpers from Young, etc.

04-28-2011, 01:48 AM
grizzlies have their excellent defense to fall back to. expect another grind out game.

Doe
04-28-2011, 01:59 AM

As far as Duncan & Splitter. I'm not so sure. In game 4 the offense looked bad when both those guys were on the floor together. Just not enough chemistry. Small sample size, but still... Splitter's role should be to play minutes where he played them he did tonight IMO.

Agree with that, the Duncan/Splitter lineup didn't look so great. Besides Splitter seems to do most of his damage against their second unit running the P&R with Manu.

crc21209
04-28-2011, 02:07 AM
I think the fact that the Spurs eeked out this win and broke the hearts of the Grizzlies shrivels their confidence even more than a blowout loss would. With a blowout loss the Grizzlies would think "Ehh, well we blew them out last game at home." But with a close loss in OT now they're thinking "Fuck, they forced OT with an amazing shot and then beat us down in OT, now what are we going to do?"

ezau
04-28-2011, 02:16 AM
I think the fact that the Spurs eeked out this win and broke the hearts of the Grizzlies shrivels their confidence even more than a blowout loss would. With a blowout loss the Grizzlies would think "Ehh, well we blew them out last game at home." But with a close loss in OT now they're thinking "Fuck, they forced OT with an amazing shot and then beat us down in OT, now what are we going to do?"

This.

The Grizzlies gave it their best shot but they hung on with Neal's dagger-three and couldn't recover in OT.

TampaDude
04-28-2011, 01:54 PM
We played a crappy 3rd quarter and still won. A decent 3rd quarter and we win by 10 in regulation.

Fabbs
04-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Whjle i agree Manny that Baboon Randolph is playing with house money, he does have skilz. Dice completely bit on the leg step fake he gave as if he was going to drive with 4 on the shot clock. When Dice backed up, it gave Baboon -I mean Randolph plenty of room to launch the go ahead jumper.

But yes i like your analagy and hope the Grizz cool off.

Bruno
04-28-2011, 02:26 PM
Grizzlies were playing with no pressure and as the 8th seed they had nothing to lose. For the first time, they will have some pressure in game 6. Even when you are the 8th seed, when you are up 3-1 at a point of a series, you had to win it. Grizzlies will enter in this game with something to lose that is not choking the series.

Grizzlies are a young team so their reaction is hard to predict but they could start to have some doubt in game 6 especially if they haven't a great start.

silverblk mystix
04-28-2011, 06:45 PM
The key, I believe, is that the spurs have to take the lead early...they have to quiet the crowd at least a little and take a lead.

If the grizzlies are chasing the spurs for most of the game then I think the doubt/desperation/overthinking/mistakes,etc... will all begin to play a part.

If the grizzles start out hot and take a good lead and the crowd and players are pumped...it will be very,very hard to pull out a win.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Well you're nailed it on the head, it's a small sample size and they can't get worse. If you add Manu to that lineup, given he plays well with both of those players, I think it should be effective. Manu got Tiago some great looks last night and they have on some occasions during the regular season. They seem to understand each other.

FailureNotAnOption
04-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Good post. Battier even said they're still playing with house money. That could easily become problematic for a young, inexperienced team, in the throes of their first real battle as a group.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2011, 07:02 PM
The key, I believe, is that the spurs have to take the lead early...they have to quiet the crowd at least a little and take a lead.

If the grizzlies are chasing the spurs for most of the game then I think the doubt/desperation/overthinking/mistakes,etc... will all begin to play a part.

If the grizzles start out hot and take a good lead and the crowd and players are pumped...it will be very,very hard to pull out a win.

100% agree with this. If that Grizzlies squad gets a nice lead at home, I don't see the Spurs being able to overcome it. They gotta start off the game with really tough defense, smart shots, and please, little turn overs. Turnovers are key. Can't go on any scoring droughts.

thispego
04-28-2011, 07:02 PM
me, not really down with poker analogies

Fabbs
04-28-2011, 07:28 PM

If the Spurs get off to a good start can we count on Gregg Popper bringing in 6th man of the year Matty Bonner to freeze the momentum?

DMC
04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Good post. Battier even said they're still playing with house money. That could easily become problematic for a young, inexperienced team, in the throes of their first real battle as a group.
It could also be a battle for Memphis.

MannyIsGod
04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Obviously if the Spurs come out early hard it will put pressure on them, but more than anything I would rather keep it close then go on a 2nd half run. A 2nd half run with the clock running down in Memphis could crush that team.

I do think they might react well. Thats always a possibility, but I find it hard to believe that the Griz are a team that won't crack.

MannyIsGod
04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Grizzlies were playing with no pressure and as the 8th seed they had nothing to lose. For the first time, they will have some pressure in game 6. Even when you are the 8th seed, when you are up 3-1 at a point of a series, you had to win it. Grizzlies will enter in this game with something to lose that is not choking the series.

Grizzlies are a young team so their reaction is hard to predict but they could start to have some doubt in game 6 especially if they haven't a great start.

Exactly

1Parker1
04-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Exactly

I don't get it...what exactly have the Grizz shown that they will crack? They were in it EVERY SINGLE GAME THIS SERIES in the 4th quarter. The only time they showed even a slight crack---when Ginobili made a blind 2 pointer to get Spurs within 1 and when Neal hit a 3 pointer with 1.7 sec left. Basically--they cracked when the Spurs made impossible/miraculous shots. That's the only way I can see the Grizz cracking again...if the Spurs make so many shots throughout the game and the Grizz are unable to stop them, they may start falling apart.

Grizz have all the confidence in the world. They know they are at home and they know they have the upper hand and they are the only team in this series that hasn't gotten blown out.

This game isn't about the Grizzlies anyways. It's about whether Ginobili and Parker can continue what they did in Game 5 and if Tim Duncan can step up his game and if one of our loser role players (i.e. Bonner, RJ, or George Hill) can step it up on the road. If these things happen, Spurs have a chance to stay in the game and possibly take it. But if even ONE of those things don't happen, it's going to be a disaster and I could see Game 6 being a blowout by the Grizzlies.

silverblk mystix
04-28-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't get it...what exactly have the Grizz shown that they will crack? They were in it EVERY SINGLE GAME THIS SERIES in the 4th quarter. The only time they showed even a slight crack---when Ginobili made a blind 2 pointer to get Spurs within 1 and when Neal hit a 3 pointer with 1.7 sec left. Basically--they cracked when the Spurs made impossible/miraculous shots. That's the only way I can see the Grizz cracking again...if the Spurs make so many shots throughout the game and the Grizz are unable to stop them, they may start falling apart.

Grizz have all the confidence in the world. They know they are at home and they know they have the upper hand and they are the only team in this series that hasn't gotten blown out.

This game isn't about the Grizzlies anyways. It's about whether Ginobili and Parker can continue what they did in Game 5 and if Tim Duncan can step up his game and if one of our loser role players (i.e. Bonner, RJ, or George Hill) can step it up on the road. If these things happen, Spurs have a chance to stay in the game and possibly take it. But if even ONE of those things don't happen, it's going to be a disaster and I could see Game 6 being a blowout by the Grizzlies.

Well, you can't underestimate how ONE shot can change a series...and for the spurs to hit TWO of those shots...well...this is the kind that might creep into the grizzlies heads just enough for them to hesitate a little...to just start thinking a little bit in their shot selection...their gambling on defense...their execution on offense,etc...

Maybe the spurs opened the door a little and maybe that little opening caused the spurs to believe a little more...to trust each other a little more...

You never know.

ezau
04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
According to sources, Z-Bo can't even sleep last night because of Neal's shot. Of course everyone remembers Fisher's .4 and that shot alone broke the hearts of the Spurs.

mingus
04-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Theres more pressure on this Grizz to win this series. I don't know where Battier is getting this house money shit from. Many people picked the Grizz to win. This isn't GS vs Dallas. Second, the Spurs didn't play their best player for one game. Memphis basically had HCA after that point. Third Memphis was great Post All Star break. Memphis isn't playing with house money. There's a ton of pressure for them to win. They tanked to get the Spurs. That says a lot about their expectations going into it. They're smoking crack if they think they can give this series away and it would be nothing of consequence just because they're an withhold seed. Fuck that. They lose this series and they're in the record books for being the wrong side of the biggest comeback in NBA history. Shit, sports history. They're playing with more than house money.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2011, 11:49 PM

Very solid post. :tu to intelligent females

J/K :lol

In all seriousness, I also think there are no signs as of yet that the Grizzlies are going to crack. They hardly go on scoring droughts, the bring the intensity almost always, and their great defense is always present. They're simply a tough team, and they really don't have too much to lose, they're still an 8th seed overall and don't have to meet the expectations of a 1 seed to not get bounced in the first round. True, they were once up 3-1, but they still have the edge in my opinion. I still believe it's going to be really hard for the Spurs to win this series, and it basically all comes down to game 6 in Memphis.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Theres more pressure on this Grizz to win this series. I don't know where Battier is getting this house money shit from. Many people picked the Grizz to win. This isn't GS vs Dallas. Second, the Spurs didn't play their best player for one game. Memphis basically had HCA after that point. Third Memphis was great Post All Star break. Memphis isn't playing with house money. There's a ton of pressure for them to win. They tanked to get the Spurs. That says a lot about their expectations going into it. They're smoking crack if they think they can give this series away and it would be nothing of consequence just because they're an withhold seed. Fuck that. They lose this series and they're in the record books for being the wrong side of the biggest comeback in NBA history. Shit, sports history. They're playing with more than house money.

I don't buy that there is more pressure. They have a bright future with some of their solid young players, the Spurs on the other hand are in win now mode. This is probably their last realistic shot (and I was saying this last year too, about last season).

You even brought up the point that they tanked for the Spurs and their expectations...precisely why it may alleviate their pressure. They WANTED the Spurs for a reason, they liked their chances against them, and probably still do because a home win ends this series. Last game at home was a blow out. Last Spurs win was a miracle, literally. It was several miracles actually. I can't say the opposite is true about the Spurs, that they WANT to play Memphis.

mingus
04-29-2011, 12:01 AM
I don't buy that there is more pressure. They have a bright future with some of their solid young players, the Spurs on the other hand are in win now mode. This is probably their last realistic shot (and I was saying this last year too, about last season).

You even brought up the point that they tanked for the Spurs and their expectations...precisely why it may alleviate their pressure. They WANTED the Spurs for a reason, they liked their chances against them, and probably still do because a home win ends this series. Last game at home was a blow out. Last Spurs win was a miracle, literally. It was several miracles actually. I can't say the opposite is true about the Spurs, that they WANT to play Memphis.

There is more pressure. How many people expected the Spurs to lose to Memphis b4 the series started vs. how many people expect Memphis to lose it after going up 3-1?

ALVAREZ6
04-29-2011, 12:17 AM
There is more pressure. How many people expected the Spurs to lose to Memphis b4 the series started vs. how many people expect Memphis to lose it after going up 3-1?

OK..I understand, but what's your point? Try to address some of the things in my post.

The Grizz wanted the Spurs, and they've proven a more dangerous team so far. They shouldn't be as worried because they have great go to options in their big men that cannot be stopped. Their defense is always there. Spurs on the other hand almost always go on a scoring drought, due to the combination of persistent tough Memphis defense and tendency for Spurs to go through stretches of bad shot selection and turnovers.

Memphis blew the Spurs out completely in their last home game, the rest have gone down to the wire. You can say they got lucky on the Randolph three, but I wouldn't. Although he doesn't normally take threes, he's still a great shooter for a big man and has a fundamentally sound shot. He's proving it this series. Duncan gave him too much space..I count that as a defensive lapse in that moment of the game. He could have been a foot or too closer to ZBo. He also proved he can hit the outside shot even under pressure this past game. Then the wide open Battier three...a complete defensive mental fart. You just don't get that too often from Memphis. Combination of superior defense and superior inside play will always give them the advantage in any single game. The Spurs last victory came after many miracles...not only the Ginobili 2.9 and Neal 3, but that Hill out of control lay up to set those opportunities up was completely miraculous.

I don't know, I don't see how there is more pressure on Memphis. You can argue for both teams having a large amount of pressure, and could make a strong case. If anything, they have at least an equal amount, for different reasons. But with all of the above and considering this is the Spurs last shot at their goal (contrary to Memphis having a bright future), I can't say the Spurs have less pressure.

TD 21
04-29-2011, 12:28 AM

Exactly.

Outside of hopefully demoralizing the Grizzlies some, the biggest thing the Spurs have going for them going into game six, is law of averages. Credit their defense, but the Spurs are long overdue to resemble the sharp shooting, explosive offensive team they've been this season. On top of that, Young, Arthur and Vasquez, are due to regress to the mean.

silverblk mystix
04-29-2011, 12:32 AM
One other thing that I forgot about...
If there is any way to get Conley in early foul trouble...it would absolutely change the game as Vasquez is out of his element in running a team...

this is why Conley has been playing a LOT of minutes....

If the spurs keep the lead..Hollins will have no choice but to overplay Conley..so a few fouls on Conley will screw up the grizzlies plans.

ALVAREZ6
04-29-2011, 12:38 AM
If there is any way to get Conley in early foul trouble...it would absolutely change the game as Vasquez is out of his element in running a team...

If the spurs keep the lead..Hollins will have no choice but to overplay Conley..so a few fouls on Conley will screw up the grizzlies plans.

It's just tough to try to make the opposing point guard to rack up fouls. A center or PF is another story, but it's a very limited tactic in nature to go for a guard, let alone PG.

TD 21
04-29-2011, 12:51 AM

Speaking of Vasquez, I have no idea why the Spurs aren't having Hill pick him up full court and harass his every dribble every time he's in the game. They're letting them off the hook every time they let him bring it up with no pressure. They could be taking valuable seconds off the shot clock and forcing them to get into their offense later in the clock. They could also force a turnover or two.

Isitjustme?
04-29-2011, 01:03 AM
I expect the Spurs to get destroyed in game 6. Can't even talk myself into a scenario where they win.

ElNono
04-29-2011, 01:04 AM
I think there's more tangible stuff than mind games in this series... they play defense and we, at least for long stretches, don't. They have a good game plan, and they execute it even when they're down 15 on the road... Unlike the Spurs, if their shots aren't falling, they know they have that confidence of knowing they can get it back at the other end.

The only way you break the back of a team like that is not with lucky shots, but actually showing them that they can't control what you do. Entering into the series, I though we had those mismatches on Tony, Manu and even RJ... I thought Manu was the guy that did better, but the other two barely materialized.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-29-2011, 02:10 AM

We have only been blown out once and the other two losses were close affairs.

Their big men stop shooting like Dirk Nowitzki and it becomes a different story.

If two or three of Sam Young, Darrell Arthur, Mike Conley and Tony Allen start shooting jumpshots for over 50% again, we are going to have problems. They normally do not play like All-Stars.

There were series where three or four possessions in a row would see low shot clocks and a Memphis jumper. That kept a lead of twelve down to 6 but more importantly it kept the momentum away from the Spurs.

Man In Black
04-29-2011, 03:40 AM
Speaking of Vasquez, I have no idea why the Spurs aren't having Hill pick him up full court and harass his every dribble every time he's in the game. They're letting them off the hook every time they let him bring it up with no pressure. They could be taking valuable seconds off the shot clock and forcing them to get into their offense later in the clock. They could also force a turnover or two.

Agree, Their offense is predicated on multiple back picks to free their post players. If the team went full court press, that would throw them off and would force an adjustment.

1Parker1
04-29-2011, 07:08 AM
We have only been blown out once and the other two losses were close affairs.

Their big men stop shooting like Dirk Nowitzki and it becomes a different story.

If two or three of Sam Young, Darrell Arthur, Mike Conley and Tony Allen start shooting jumpshots for over 50% again, we are going to have problems. They normally do not play like All-Stars.

There were series where three or four possessions in a row would see low shot clocks and a Memphis jumper. That kept a lead of twelve down to 6 but more importantly it kept the momentum away from the Spurs.

Let's just put it this way...what happened the last time the Spurs were in Memphis with their backs against the wall in a critical Game 4 that was essentially a Must-Win for the Spurs? They folded in the 3rd Qtr when Memphis drastically upped its intensity and blew them out.

People forget that Game 4 was just as important and had just as much pressure for the Grizz, if they had lost that one, they would have essentially lost the HCA they won when they stole a game in SA. They didn't fold under pressure, the Spurs did.

Regardless, I just don't think this is about mind games or experience at this point. Grizz aren't your typical 8th seed. These aren't the same players that got swept in the playoffs every year. This game is about which team's players can step up under pressure. And the Grizz have CERTAINLY shown that their players can do that, our roll players have not shown they can do that on the road. Add to it, Spurs can't seem to get stops in this series.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 07:35 AM
The Grizz and their crowd were tight in the last game. They'll be doubly so tonight if the Spurs can keep the pressure on them. Translation, show up for the entire game.

will_spurs
04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
I don't buy that there is more pressure.

Oh yeah? Well let's just see what Hollins had to say after the game:

It hurts and it’s a difficult loss because of the magnitude of where we are. It’s a loss anyway you look at it and we just have to let it go.

I think that we were down after the loss of the lead; then they tied it up at the end. We had too many guys that were hurt and not mature enough at this stage and just let it go.

We didn’t execute a couple of out of bounds plays late. Things that we normally do we didn’t do.

This is pressure right there, and it's going to linger into Game 6 for sure.

Cessation
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Pop also panicked in game 4 and started splitter in the third and it was only a two point game at half time, I'm sure spurs will take a score like that in a game 6 on the road any day. Spurs came out different in game 5, I think they had their meltdown and are over it now. Question is who wants it more? I really believe if spurs come out focused and ready to play, they'll take game 6.

ALVAREZ6
04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Oh yeah? Well let's just see what Hollins had to say after the game:

This is pressure right there, and it's going to linger into Game 6 for sure.

Right, I understand that argument. What's so faulty on my take on the Spurs and the points I make? My final conclusion is that there is a lot of pressure on both teams, for different reasons, and I don't see what's so wrong in thinking that way. This isn't a zero-sum game, AKA one team's gains or losses (pressure in this case) is not exactly balanced by the other teams gains or losses (pressure).

Let's just see how game 6 goes. If any team is going to play consistently well throughout the game, I expect it to be Memphis. Their defense is always present, that of the Spurs simply is not. The Spurs also frequently go on scoring droughts and turnover sprees.

mexicanjunior
04-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Lets hope the Spurs Crack their Aces (Z-bo & Gasol) and hand them the worst Bad Beat possible...we have made the Turn (Game 6), now hopefully we can see that River card (Game 7)...Time for this team to go ALL-IN!

http://kkenkk.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/poker-all-in.jpg

GrandeDavid
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM

I never thought I'd ever hear the word unstoppable being applied to Zack Randolph. But its true, he has been unstoppable in this series! Let's hope the pressure gets to him a bit tonight.

sexinthatsx
04-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I just don't understand why the spurs are freaking double-teaming Z-Bo every time. By double-teaming him, they give so many open looks to OJ Mayo and Battier. I don't care if Z-Bo can score 40 points tonight, but our chances are better if we D up 1 on 1 rather than double team... Z-Bo's a piece of shit that deserves no respect and should not be double teamed

MannyIsGod
04-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Yeah, the Griz have played well in this series, but the point is that they've completely overachieved so far. It would be one thing to expect them to play this well had they shown the ability to do it consistently before but they haven't. We may very well be seeing their emergence but I'm not ready to say that quite yet.

The only point is that the shots the Griz have hit are much easier to hit when things are going your way. Its undeniable that when you play with confidence you can achieve a much higher level of play in basketball. So far things have all gone the Griz's way and they're playing a much higher level - IMO - because of that. Well, for the first time something has gone against them. How are they going to react?

Young inexperienced teams don't typically win playoff series for this very reason. If the Griz react well and it doesn't get to them, then props. We'll see.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Damn, I was hoping this thread was an announcement that Hugh Laurey was launching a new gangsta rapper persona. Already got the pimp cane.

50 cent
04-29-2011, 04:03 PM
I see it as just the opposite as Manny. The Spurs were dead and out of the tournaments and hit a one-outer on the river to double their chip stack. They are still short stack, but not that short of a stack. They are now a dangerous player and the leader is gonna have to play tighter because the Spurs are now playing with House money when they should have been ousted.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I just don't understand why the spurs are freaking double-teaming Z-Bo every time. By double-teaming him, they give so many open looks to OJ Mayo and Battier. I don't care if Z-Bo can score 40 points tonight, but our chances are better if we D up 1 on 1 rather than double team... Z-Bo's a piece of shit that deserves no respect and should not be double teamed

The Spurs double team everyone virtually all the time. It shouldn't be a surprise that the jump shooters are killing them when they're left alone.

MannyIsGod
04-29-2011, 06:13 PM
BTW did Battier actually use the words house money? Fucker is reading my posts.

SpursWoman
04-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Those exact words. :lol

ALVAREZ6
04-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Where y'all that, those that said my argument was outrageous, or at least so implied it????

Who played like they had a shit load of pressure on their backs tonight???? I know one thing for sure, Memphis certainly didn't.