PDA

View Full Version : Memphis is a FANTASTIC basketball team

TDfan2007
04-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I've never seen a bottom seed execute like this while showing such mental fortitude. It's been absolutely unbelievable. These guys hit the big shots, have active hands, never get rattled, and just keep competing and executing. They don't have a game-changing superstar, but they have so many solid pieces that it doesn't matter.

Well-coached too. It's safe to say that the Spurs have never played a tougher first round opponent in the Tim Duncan era.

dbreiden83080
04-27-2011, 10:47 PM
I still don't think they are that good.. We have played like shit on O. Some of that is their aggressive D, some of it is our shitty ass play. If Tim was a few years younger this shit would have been Spurs in 5..

Calispursfan11
04-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I agree, and don't forget, they don't even have Rudy Gay right now.

HarlemHeat37
04-27-2011, 10:50 PM
They would have been the 6th seed or so, had they not tanked, but they were playing like a top-tier team in the 2nd half of the season..however, they aren't as good as they have shown IMO, they just match up very well against the Spurs..

They probably lose in 5 next series, if they play OKC IMO..

GrandeDavid
04-27-2011, 10:53 PM
I've never seen a bottom seed execute like this while showing such mental fortitude. It's been absolutely unbelievable. These guys hit the big shots, have active hands, never get rattled, and just keep competing and executing. They don't have a game-changing superstar, but they have so many solid pieces that it doesn't matter.

Well-coached too. It's safe to say that the Spurs have never played a tougher first round opponent in the Tim Duncan era.

Next round? Memphis ain't goin nowhere but golfing next round.

Banzai
04-27-2011, 10:54 PM
1 game at a time.

Budkin
04-27-2011, 10:56 PM
If they win and play OKC they're going to get smoked.

k_nguyen93
04-27-2011, 10:57 PM
I wanna say Memphis could be #5 seed with Gay but the guy was bringing team down. They had same almost same record as Spurs (something like 32-17) after he got hurt in January. More team basketball. They beat all the good teams and choke against bad ones. Swept by Nets.

Mugen
04-27-2011, 10:58 PM
If anybody is still underestimating Memphis, you're fucking nuts. They're playing Spurs like basketball and they are all playing out of their minds. It can't be a fluke if they've played the same way the last 5 games. They're the more consistent team so far and looked the superior squad as well.

With that said, fuck them and their tanking bitch ass team and I hope they choke like the hoodrat bitches they are this Friday.

weebo
04-27-2011, 10:58 PM

Easy there. The Spurs just ran into a hot team. They've made the plays they've needed to but the Spurs have had a hand in that.

Reck
04-27-2011, 11:01 PM
Memphis aren't shit.

They just mentally have the Spurs knelt down taking cocks up their asses. If only the Spurs played like they did in the regular season they would have been with this team in 6.

TwelveGs210
04-27-2011, 11:04 PM
If Tim was a few years younger this shit would have been Spurs in 5..
Gtfo with that bs..give them some credit..the reason why we are struggling with shitty offense is because they are forcing us into shitty offense..they are a tough team inside, hats off to them.

romsho
04-27-2011, 11:08 PM

Concur. They have obviously made a committment to defense, and they play very hard..they can play against anybody. Easily the best eight seed the Spurs have ever played.

bigfan
04-27-2011, 11:11 PM
They are a good team, anyone who is not a total retard will have to admit that. The Spurs are going to have to play two more games with the intensity as tonight to beat them, a tough challenge.

NewcastleKEG
04-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Yup, so are they gonna have Rudy & Shane next year?

They are more experience & 3point shooter away from being a title contender in the near future

Nathan89
04-27-2011, 11:35 PM
I feel like the Lakers fucked the Celtics and Memphis was born.

Obstructed_View
04-27-2011, 11:39 PM
The sad thing is that they're not. They're better prepared for the playoffs and came into the postseason playing better basketball, but this has been an abysmal Spurs team on both ends of the floor and only one game so far wasn't extremely close.

The Spurs should be able to crush the Grizzlies the next two games. It's simply unforgiveable if they don't.

DeadlyDynasty
04-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Whoever wins this series has a beatdown awaiting them, tbh.

Obstructed_View
04-27-2011, 11:44 PM

The Spurs could probably sleepwalk through the next two games and accidentally win them, but they won't get away with that in the next round. Of course, the same thing applies to the Lakers.

Mugen
04-27-2011, 11:44 PM

I will gladly watch the Thunder assfuck the Spurs if it means SA can smack that hoodrat smile off Tony Allen and Z-Bo's face.

I think the Thunder will still be favored against Mem/SA but we match up much much better against the Thunder than the Grizzlies.

Gotta get there first, tho.

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
imo they are overrated

we underachieve or playing below the level that got us 61 wins

they wanted to make history with their first win, and a series win over a 1st seed

lol the spurs will be part of history when they come down from 3-1 series to win the series...when our shots fall, we are unable to be beatened

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
imo they are overrated

we underachieve or playing below the level that got us 61 wins

they wanted to make history with their first win, and a series win over a 1st seed

lol the spurs will be part of history when they come down from 3-1 series to win the series...when our shots fall, we are unable to be beatened

NewcastleKEG
04-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Not the way Durant & Westbrook are bickering

Kamala
04-27-2011, 11:52 PM
If the Spurs ever start defending the in between game we may be in business. I can live with Randolph getting his, but got damn Conley and Arthur are looking all world which is just unacceptable.

mencken
04-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Memphis reminds me of the 2008 Hornets. They were the next up-and-coming team that would be dominant in a few years. Look at NOH now.

Plus, Zach Randolf just got his fat contract, so expect him to be fat and lazy as usual next season.

Chomag
04-27-2011, 11:54 PM
They do remind me allot of the Spurs when they were just starting their championship runs. They play gritty tough defence and play team ball.

TDMVPDPOY
04-27-2011, 11:55 PM
splitter looms bitches

ElNono
04-27-2011, 11:58 PM
I don't think they win more than 1 game next series if they advance...

I give them credit because they never quit, but our defensive ineptitude made even the Timberwolves look really good this season...

DeadlyDynasty
04-27-2011, 11:58 PM
The Spurs could probably sleepwalk through the next two games and accidentally win them, but they won't get away with that in the next round. Of course, the same thing applies to the Lakers.

Agreed. Lakers still have to finish the Hornets...the Mavs look pretty tough now.

I will gladly watch the Thunder assfuck the Spurs if it means SA can smack that hoodrat smile off Tony Allen and Z-Bo's face.

I think the Thunder will still be favored against Mem/SA but we match up much much better against the Thunder than the Grizzlies.

Gotta get there first, tho.

Spurs got this...young teams don't comeback from losses like that. If Spurs jump out on them early then I see them taking it.

DeadlyDynasty
04-27-2011, 11:59 PM
I see the Spurs coming out like they did in Game 3 of the 2008 First Round, where TP went off.

itzsoweezee
04-28-2011, 12:00 AM
If Tony plays like he did in overtime, the Spurs win this series easily. I don't know what's got into him, but hopefully this turns things around.

YoMamaIsCallin
04-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Sean made the comment that they look like a younger version of the Spurs. I think that's right on.

NewcastleKEG
04-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Memphis reminds me of the 2008 Hornets. They were the next up-and-coming team that would be dominant in a few years. Look at NOH now.

Plus, Zach Randolf just got his fat contract, so expect him to be fat and lazy as usual next season.
Hornets were a 1-man team though and once that man blew his knee out they were done

mytespurs
04-28-2011, 12:14 AM
All I know is that it took OT to beat the Grizzlies tonight; these grizzlies aren't going down w/o a fight. Right now, their upside looks much better than our Spurs. Bottom line, they match up very well with the Spurs.

Still, I think they may come down to earth next round-should they make it. I hope they play this well should they make it to the next round. I'd be very disappointed in the Spurs should Memphis turn back into a 8th seed pumpkin next round.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2011, 12:16 AM
All I know is that it took OT to beat the Grizzlies tonight; these grizzlies aren't going down w/o a fight. Right now, their upside looks much better than our Spurs. Bottom line, they match up very well with the Spurs.

Still, I think they may come down to earth next round-should they make it. I hope they play this well should they make it to the next round. I'd be very disappointed in the Spurs should Memphis turn back into a 8th seed pumpkin next round.

Makes no sense. The Spurs have had nobody playing at the top of their game this series. Not a single player. Everyone on the Grizzlies has been contributing, and the games have all been really close with the exception of the one the Spurs quit.

TDMVPDPOY
04-28-2011, 12:19 AM
the both playoff games in memphis, if the refs allow us to play our game, we can beat them

so far they are still getting away with physical fouls and refs are keeping them in the game with fkn bailouts

DeadlyDynasty
04-28-2011, 12:20 AM

Why? The playoffs are a game of matchups. Memphis beat them 3/4 times this season, but only once with Perkins. If OKC can win that series then they'll be scary, b/c it means they can match any team's style of play. The Lakers can do that as well, though not as effectively anymore.

GSH
04-28-2011, 12:23 AM
They are a matchup nightmare for the Spurs, but they are also very well coached. They made some good adjustments after that first quarter. They were out in our passing lanes, and too much of the time they knew where the next pass was going and had a man on the ball when it got there. Not many people catching the ball with any space to work. That last shot that Manu hit in regulation? I don't know what it looked like on TV, but it looked like they had been looking over Pop's shoulder when he drew up the play. Manu just made lemonade.

I think a lot of their confidence comes from having scouted the Spurs extremely well, and knowing they have a good gameplan for them. That comeback they made didn't look like any fluke. They knew what they were doing. If that's not enough to be a good team, I don't know what it would take.

BUT - if Parker and Neal really found their shots at the end of this game, they can't beat the Spurs without the Spurs helping them out. Those two would be more than enough to tip the balance.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2011, 12:25 AM
the both playoff games in memphis, if the refs allow us to play our game, we can beat them

so far they are still getting away with physical fouls and refs are keeping them in the game with fkn bailouts

If the Spurs rebound, execute, take care of the ball and get good shots the refs won't matter. If they rely on calls they'll watch the semis from home.

mencken
04-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Hornets were a 1-man team though and once that man blew his knee out they were done

That's not fair to that Hornets team.

David West:
G1: 30pts on 13-23 shooting
G3: 23pts on 10-19 shooting
G5: 38pts on 16-25 shooting
G7: 20pts on 8-19 shooting
(games 2, 4 and 6 were bad outings for West)

That team also had Peja Stojakovic when he had a pulse and Tyson Chandler. That's hardly a 1-man team. They did have bench issues but, what team doesn't?

DMC
04-28-2011, 12:30 AM
Look at Memphis' record since January 1st. Compare that with the Spurs. Only a game or two difference.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Look at Memphis' record since January 1st. Compare that with the Spurs. Only a game or two difference.

I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis doesn't have a better record since January 1, but it's more an indication of how far below their potential the Spurs are playing.

howbouthemspurs
04-28-2011, 12:41 AM
they are alright

Mark in Austin
04-28-2011, 01:23 AM

If they were playing Rudy Gay now instead of Battier SA would have already won the series. Gay makes Memphis worse defensively.

sexinthatsx
04-28-2011, 01:58 AM
If they were playing Rudy Gay now instead of Battier SA would have already won the series. Gay makes Memphis worse defensively.

+1

The funny thing is we all watch these games thinking to ourselves, are these Grizzles for real? I mean, they drain big bucket after big bucket. After the first two or three, you brush it off and say it's luck. But given the way they have been draining most of their big shots in this series, as much as I fucking hate to admit it they look pretty legit. That said though, our rotational match up with the Grizzles is just horrible.

And like a poster above said... I give them credit but fuck the Grizzles for tanking and being able to pull something like this.

sexinthatsx
04-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Which is also why I hate seeing the spurs matchup against teams that seldom/never get into the playoffs because the deadliest ones are the ones that play like they're not afraid to lose and go balls to the wall, like how Chicago almost beat the Celtics a couple years ago and how the Thunder gave Lakers a scare as well.