PDA

View Full Version : Most Encouraging Thing About the Win.....

Mugen
04-28-2011, 12:20 AM
The Spurs finally executed down the stretch.

-HUGE reverse layup by Hill to cut it to 1
-Great play drawn up to Ginobili for the easy 2
-CLUTCH shot by Manu on a broken ass play
-Gary Neal finally on the floor on a last second play and he hits a 3 to save the season.
-TP taking over overtime with the JUMPER and the Spurs getting stops/rebounds when they needed to.

That's what happens when you don't try to be too cute with your late game plays, Pop, like having 3 centers in the same time or have Steve (0.1 apg career average) Novak inbound the ball.

For the first time in about 3 months, the Spurs executed down the stretch like the vintage Spurs and did it when their season depended on it...

Get Game 6 at all costs. Win this shit in 7.

SenorSpur
04-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Finally the Spurs showed the type of veteran experience needed to "squeeze" a young team down the stretch. All they have to do is continue the aggressive play, get some key stops when necessary and keep the game close.

NewJerSpur
04-28-2011, 12:24 AM
That Novak inbound in Portland was a terrible decision....that said, nice playcall on the layup Manu made from Tim that only took about 1 second off the clock and more importantly, nice execution. Rim threw a laser in there.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2011, 12:31 AM

-Gary Neal finally on the floor on a last second play and he hits a 3 to save the season.
-TP taking over overtime with the JUMPER and the Spurs getting stops/rebounds when they needed to.

That's what happens when you don't try to be too cute with your late game plays, Pop, like having 3 centers in the same time or have Steve (0.1 apg career average) Novak inbound the ball.

For the first time in about 3 months, the Spurs executed down the stretch like the vintage Spurs and did it when their season depended on it...

That play drawn for Manu was brilliant, everything about it. I was shocked, I thought Popovich had gone full-retard, but I guess it applies more to his love affairs.

And this post really makes one realize how many miraculous events happened for the Spurs to pull that win. That reverse layup by Hill was NUTS. I was wondering how the F he pulled that off, especially with all of the pressure of that moment. Then Manu was able to dash through away from Tony Allen, and then his shot was unbelievable, I literally thought they were done. Then the Gary Neal shot speaks for itself as well. And then Tony came up huge in OT when the Grizz were not dying, that team keeps fighting. Tony hit a few huge jumpers.

You make a good point that they executed well down the stretch for once, but at the same time it makes me wonder if in fact encouraging is not the best describer given all of the miraculous things that needed to happen for the Spurs to win that game.

It can be encouraging to the team though and hopefully it gives them confidence, because they will need it in order to win in Memphis. No doubt.

DJ Mbenga
04-28-2011, 12:35 AM
scrambled play ginobli was lucky to get the ball, dice was trying to tip it to the other end of the court. paker gave the ball to tony allen, fastbreak where hill fouled him but it didnt matter randolph had a one handed layup rebound. grizz 3pt defense wasnt bad it was just a prevent defense. mayo played off him not hoping to get the old pump and foul. weak contest and a heck of a shot.

04-28-2011, 12:36 AM
good to see the spurs finally execute down the stretch. however, it took two fortunate 3 pt heaves over a relentless defense to keep the spurs alive on their home court. that's not a good sign.

timtonymanu
04-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Spurs just need to keep their level of play consistent for 48 minutes and stop turning over the ball so much.

peskypesky
04-28-2011, 12:40 AM
spurs got lucky. real fucking lucky. i mean, i'll take it, but dont talk about execution.

peskypesky
04-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Spurs just need to keep their level of play consistent for 48 minutes and stop turning over the ball so much.

nope. Spurs need to find either the fountain of youth or a time machine.

dav4463
04-28-2011, 12:42 AM
We get to play at least one more game! That's all that matters right now.

spurs10
04-28-2011, 12:48 AM
good to see the spurs finally execute down the stretch. however, it took two fortunate 3 pt heaves over a relentless defense to keep the spurs alive on their home court. that's not a good sign.
Fuck you!

4>0rings
04-28-2011, 12:58 AM
That play drawn for Manu was brilliant, everything about it. I was shocked, I thought Popovich had gone full-retard, but I guess it applies more to his love affairs.

And this post really makes one realize how many miraculous events happened for the Spurs to pull that win. That reverse layup by Hill was NUTS. I was wondering how the F he pulled that off, especially with all of the pressure of that moment. Then Manu was able to dash through away from Tony Allen, and then his shot was unbelievable, I literally thought they were done. Then the Gary Neal shot speaks for itself as well. And then Tony came up huge in OT when the Grizz were not dying, that team keeps fighting. Tony hit a few huge jumpers.

You make a good point that they executed well down the stretch for once, but at the same time it makes me wonder if in fact encouraging is not the best describer given all of the miraculous things that needed to happen for the Spurs to win that game.

It can be encouraging to the team though and hopefully it gives them confidence, because they will need it in order to win in Memphis. No doubt.
I could of SWORN LA ran that same play with the Hornets the other night in the last seconds when they lost. Pau cut to the basket the same way Gino did. In that timeout I was hoping Pop would call that play, it was a work of art. Seemed like the same one.

Mugen
04-28-2011, 12:59 AM
spurs got lucky. real fucking lucky. i mean, i'll take it, but dont talk about execution.

the ball getting tipped around before Manu got it was pure luck. his prayer 2/3 was luck too.

But when your 26 year old rookie hits a ice cold 3 pointer with 1 sec left to save the season, and barely bats a eye after hitting it....thats fucking execution.

MannyIsGod
04-28-2011, 01:54 AM
The play for neal was good. The play for the Manu 2 was good. Hill was pure luck, though. Luckier on that layup than Manu was on his 2.9999 pointer..

NewJerSpur
04-28-2011, 02:01 AM
The play for neal was good. The play for the Manu 2 was good. Hill was pure luck, though. Luckier on that layup than Manu was on his 2.9999 pointer..

Hill actually had the ball hit the backboard at a decent angle....team was lucky it went in imo because no one was trailing the play.

MB3//
04-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Something nobody has talked about yet that I'm confused on. Ginobili's right foot was still on the ground when his left foot was in the air. So really, shouldn't it have been a 3? Just curious what the ruling is on that.

NewJerSpur
04-28-2011, 02:16 AM
Something nobody has talked about yet that I'm confused on. Ginobili's right foot was still on the ground when his left foot was in the air. So really, shouldn't it have been a 3? Just curious what the ruling is on that.

Both feet still have to be behind the line upon lift off. Only way it would've been a 3 is if he'd lifted up the left foot, stood on the right on (one-legged) and then shot the ball.

crc21209
04-28-2011, 02:17 AM

+1. They finally looked like the Spurs we all know and love....

lowdown
04-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Just finished watching the game (& most of the postgame) on the DVR. I can safely say that Memphis played like the better team throughout regulation and I was thinking about my Eulogy to this team and in particular the awesome trio of the Spurs. This is as all three superstars were fumbling the ball, turning over the ball and just taking some bad shots - those Ginobili 3s down the stretch. My anger for Jefferson, Bonner, & Mcdyess would happen at times throughout this game but I kept on thinking about what a dissappoinment this would be to lose this game. Then we get the 2 pointer! Then the 3! I hope this roster can come back all the way but one thing is clear: my hat's off to Ginobili for that shot, Parker for those OT shots, G. Hill for that layup & late free throws, Splitter to play as if he's been getting minutes all year, & to Mr. Gary Neal for that 3. Please team (& coach) let it all on the line for game 6!

MB3//
04-28-2011, 02:23 AM
Both feet still have to be behind the line upon lift off. Only way it would've been a 3 is if he'd lifted up the left foot, stood on the right on (one-legged) and then shot the ball.

I see. Thanks for clarifying. It ended up working out better that way. (obviously). Had he tied it with that shot, Memphis would've had a chance to end the game with one shot. Yikes.

NewJerSpur
04-28-2011, 02:32 AM
I see. Thanks for clarifying. It ended up working out better that way. (obviously). Had he tied it with that shot, Memphis would've had a chance to end the game with one shot. Yikes.

No prob. Just the Spurs' night in terms of the bounces, FINALLY....a few games ago Manu doesn't even get the ball to take the shot. Hopefully the momentum is shifting.

DeadlyDynasty
04-28-2011, 02:38 AM
Was good to see no doubt, but it's still pretty disconcerting how San Antonio hasn't been able to blow them out in any of these games. You'd figure maybe one of these contests the Spurs would be able to shake 'em and get an easy W. Take the epic Celtics-Bulls series a couple years ago...pretty much all those games were nailbiters, but Boston was still able to annihilate them in one of the games. In this series they've all been close except for the Game 4 massacre--won by Memphis. That would give me cause for concern.

MB3//
04-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Yup. I think we can really end game 6 early with a big first quarter. If you take their crowd out early, let a little doubt creep in, I like our chances.

Pauleta14
04-28-2011, 06:09 AM

True, but what about memphis in the 1st and 3rd game??

It was about time the spurs get some luck...

No team can win it all without some luck anyway!!

Danny.Zhu
04-28-2011, 06:40 AM

This.

leemajors
04-28-2011, 06:51 AM
Was good to see no doubt, but it's still pretty disconcerting how San Antonio hasn't been able to blow them out in any of these games. You'd figure maybe one of these contests the Spurs would be able to shake 'em and get an easy W. Take the epic Celtics-Bulls series a couple years ago...pretty much all those games were nailbiters, but Boston was still able to annihilate them in one of the games. In this series they've all been close except for the Game 4 massacre--won by Memphis. That would give me cause for concern.

the turnovers are just killer. every time they started to get near or over double digits they would automatically turn it over - way too many careless passes.

JonNOKC
04-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Some people are acting like Memphis dominated the game - The Spurs outplayed Memphis with the exception of the 3rd Qtr and with better execution/shot selection in particular from the 5 min mark on in the 4th this game would of not needed to come down to a couple lucky plays by Spurs

Muser
04-28-2011, 08:00 AM

I've got a feeling the Spurs blow them out of the water in game 6, a young team with little experience just lost a heartbreaker. Hell I could be wrong and probably am, i'll take any type of victory at this point.

ginobilized
04-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Believe.

Hope is alive.

Memphis could start to crumble a little bit. I like our chances, or, that we still have at least one more chance in this series.