PDA

View Full Version : Post-Game Quotes Grizzlies Game Five 4-27-11

duncan228
04-28-2011, 12:27 AM
Post-Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/)

Gregg Popovich

(On the last possession of the fourth quarter...what option was Gary Neal) “He made the shot. He executed the play well. He made the shot. I don’t know what else to tell you. Sometimes they go in; sometimes they don’t. That one worked well.”

(On Tony Parker’s play in overtime…taking over and making his perimeter shots) “He was huge. That’s the most confidently he’s played in the series. We’ve been trying to figure out why he hasn’t been more aggressive, especially with his shot. He’s been hitting that mid-range shot all year long and done a great job of it. Tonight he did that and it was a huge help for us and it kept us in a position to win because of what he did in that regard. I thought he played well at the defensive end also. This was his most aggressive night, I think, at both ends.”

(On how the defense fueled the offense tonight) “It’s not just us. Because you win, doesn’t mean that your defense was good and the other team’s was bad and vice versa. Both teams played their butts off and it was a physical game. Both teams played very good defense. Both teams made a lot of stops; it was anybody’s ball game. So, it’s not just about our defense. I think both teams did a hell of a job in that regard. ”

(On how they picked themselves up off the mat after having a good lead and coming back to win) “I think teams that are in the playoffs, at this point, have that ability. Nobody’s gonna die. People are going to always try and come back. Some nights you can’t do it, but it’s not going to be for lack of effort. I expected our guys to hang in. They came back strong. They did a great job and we hung in tough. That’s all about character and I never doubt that our guys have that for sure. ”

(Does Manu Ginobili still surprise him with some of the shots he makes) “Or misses (jokingly). He’s the man. He’ll do things out there. If I don’t think it’s quite the most fundamentally sound thing that I’ve ever seen…I’ve learned to shut up. He wins games a whole lot more often than I do.”

(On going back to Memphis) “Well, as one would expect, they would like to finish it out. I’m hoping the game will be as similar there as it was here tonight. That’s what I’m looking for; that kind of aggressive play. It’s a challenge, but its basketball. It’s nothing complicated that none of us has not done before.”

(On George Hill getting aggressive) “We need that. Every night we need a few more players to play well in this series and tonight we got that. George off the bench played at both ends and contributed to the win significantly because he was aggressive. He didn’t need to score a lot of points. He was aggressive at the rim. He played good “D” and that’s what we need him to do if we’re going to be successful in the series.”

Manu Ginobili

(On whether or not he thought his shot at the end of regulation was going in) “No. To tell you the truth, I didn’t. I didn’t even see the rim. I had Mark [Gasol] on top of me as I was falling out of bounds. I just got lucky. That’s the truth.”

(On the Spurs’ heart coming down the stretch of the game) “I think when you are facing elimination you always get something out of nowhere; some energy or those kinds of shots. Sometimes that happens. I don’t really think that we showed the heart of a champion. We got lucky. It’s the truth. They played better in the second half. They executed very well down the stretch; their defense is always tough. Zach was great, from the line and from the paint. Overall they played a better game [in the second half]. We just stuck in there, kept fighting. We played together way more than in Memphis, so we supported each other. We made those two shots that kept us alive. After that shot from Gary, of course, really got us going. That overtime was a different story, but we were very close to being on vacation right now.”

(On the first time he heard of Gary Neal) “It was mid-September and I was working out and he showed up one day. They told me that this was the new shooter we had. I’m not lying when I say that I saw him miss the first 20 shots he took. I’m not kidding. We were playing open gym and he was shooting confidently but he wasn’t making one. Then he got used to playing with us and started feeling slowly that he belonged. And then he started showing us what he’s shown all season long. That was my first impression of him.”

(On Pop’s decision to call the final play for Neal) “I think it was a very good call by Pop besides it was the kind of play that designed for him to take a shot like that because he’s the one with the quickest release. Matt Bonner probably has a better percentage and Richard has a great percentage, but it’s hard for them to create their own shot and Gary is really good at that. He’s quick and he’s got a great, high release. He made a great shot. If you see the whole roster, you probably won’t expect the undrafted rookie to take the shot to save us. But he earned it. It’s not that Pop went crazy and made a crazy decision. He knew what was going on.”

(On how much the defense drove their offense tonight) “For the first half we had very good defense and it helped us get over the excitement. We were a little antsy and it caused us a few turnovers and some bad shots and some silly mistakes. But it was because of thinking too much and because of the situation we were in, being down 1-3 and facing elimination. We were a little too antsy, but the energy in the first half was great. Then in the second half they executed really well. They are a good team; they know how to use their strengths. Zach is playing great. Gasol in the paint is huge and he can play. Conley is playing well, too. We struggled in the second half and that’s why they got the lead.”

(On what it’s going to take to get their first win of the season in Memphis) “It’s going to be so hard. They are a team that usually plays with edge and fire. And then imagine how that arena is going to be, having the opportunity to eliminate the #1 seed in the West. It’s going to be wild, it’s going to be rough. We’ve got to be smart; don’t just give them the ball and let them run. We can’t make silly mistakes. We just have to use our experience; that age that everyone is talking about, we have to use it.”

Richard Jefferson

(On Gary Neal’s three-pointer) “That’s one of the biggest shots I’ve ever been a part of in my basketball career, high school, college, pros. It was a big clutch shot for him. At this point in time, they say it’s win or go home and you do whatever you have to do. Gary gave us one more opportunity to go out there and play a better game. I believe we’re improving. We had a better attack today, but there’s still a lot of things we need to improve on, but that’s why you have to win four out of seven games.”

(On Manu Ginobili) “Manu was great. He’s getting more into his rhythm with that brace on his arm and just overall as a team, we’re getting a better attack on the offensive end. Tony (Parker) passed the ball great in the first half, got me some open looks, got Matty (Bonner) some open looks, and I think that really helped us get into that focus that we need.”

(On Tony Parker) “That’s the part of our attack that we haven’t done consistently. We can still play better. They’ve been playing great, they’ve had a great series thus far. Sometimes you have to come off 10 times and make that pass and later in the game, that jumper will be there for you. Our aggression is good but sometimes it can go against you when it’s your strength. I think Tony did a good job of getting everybody involved early and when players started to stay at home, he was able to do that one-on-one attack and get to the shot and get to the layup.”

(On if this loss can have a carry-over effect on the Grizzlies) “They’re a confident team. They didn’t come into this situation and put us to the brink of elimination by being a weak-minded team. They’re going to be ready to go in Memphis. They’re town is going to be ready to go. It’s going to be fun and we’re looking forward to that. Our job is going to be to come back here and force a game seven.”

George Hill

(On if this is the craziest ending he’s been a part of) “Pretty much. It was pretty crazy, but when he (Gary Neal) let it go, it looked so good and I knew it was kind of going to count.”

(On if Gary Neal’s three-pointer was “incredible”) “If that’s what you say. I don’t have a word for it.”

(On if this game will have a carry-over effect on the Grizzlies) “Pretty much, but we know they’re going back home. Their fans have been great so far in the two games there, so we know we’re going into a hostile crowd and them really wanted to win. So we still have to bring it and don’t ask for anything.”

Gary Neal

(On if he knew his game-tying shot was going in) “It felt good. I knew I had good legs going into it. It felt good. I followed through and it went in.”

(On if he is surprised he got a clean look) “Not really. Timmy (Duncan) had set a great screen and the guy defending me was behind me. I knew he was going to cut over and play me so he was a little aggressive. So I got a strong swing-through going to my strong hand, the right and I just got my legs into it and it went in.”

(On how it felt to save the Spurs’ season) “You really don’t think about the magnitude of making or missing it. You just think about trying to get the best shot that you can get and it went in today. I think that was the best shot I could’ve got in that situation.”

(On reflecting on where he was a year ago in Europe) “I probably could’ve never really pictured this. Last year, I was in Spain at this time and I could have never pictured being in a Game 5 with an opportunity to tie the game up and extend the series. It’s been a long road for me, but it’s been great. I’m just blessed and thankful to be here.”

Tony Parker

(On the sense of everyone when Gary Neal hit the shot at the end of the game) “It was like a new life. It gave us a lot of energy. Gary Neal made some big shots for us all season long and he made a huge one tonight. We just finished the job after that.”

(On the second half) “It was kind of tough the second half because we played well the first half. We were moving the ball well, playing good basketball between going inside and outside. Timmy (Duncan) was playing well and second half, in the fourth quarter, for whatever reason they made some big shots. (Sam) Young made another big three and it was just tough until the end. Manu (Ginobili) made a big shot and Gary Neal made a big shot. Then in overtime, we played a lot better.”

(On where this game ranks as far as how crazy it was) “It’s hard to beat Tim Duncan’s three against Phoenix in 2008, but it is definitely up there. It was a crazy game. We made two buzzer shots with Manu (Ginobili) and Gary Neal.”

(On how the Spurs can use this game to their advantage) “We won. I don’t know if we put doubts in their mind, but we won the game and now we get another shot to try to win on the road. You know the history here, we always win big games on the road, so now we get another opportunity.”

(On if he sensed nervousness from the Grizzlies) “I don’t know, we’ll see. It’s going to be a very tough game. They play very well at home. They play with a lot of confidence and they’re definitely going to be ready for us on Friday, so we’re going to have to be ready and match their energy and match their physicality. It’s going to be a war.”

Tim Duncan

(On the Gary Neal’s three-pointer) “A lot of guys made a lot of big plays and that was as huge as it came. Gary (Neal) came off the bench and set himself up well, got open. I’m screaming at the end of the game because he’s got like 1.7 seconds or something like that, he takes a dribble and I’m like ‘shoot the ball.’ He gets it off and makes it and gives us life. We took advantage of that. We’re going to continue that and take it up to Memphis and hopefully force a Game 7.”

(On if the experience from being champions helped in this game) “We’re just trying to grind it out. It doesn’t matter what we’ve done in the past. It matters what we’re doing now. Memphis put themselves in a great position to end this series and we’re fighting to stay alive. We’re not going to give up until that horn goes off in the end. We’re excited to stay alive here tonight and we’re going to do the same thing in Game 6 to try and force another one.”

(On the trust between Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker) “We do trust in each other. We’re going to fight from horn to horn. We know it’s our playoff life at stake here and we’re going to do everything we can to try to stay alive.”

Grizzlies Head Coach Lionel Hollins

(When asked, what did you tell your guys after the game) “You just have to let it go. We’ve had tough losses before. In Phoenix we lost to a three at the buzzer. We lost to Sacramento with a 75 foot shot at the buzzer, after we scored to take the lead. It’s the nature of the game. It hurts and it’s a difficult loss because of the magnitude of where we are. It’s a loss anyway you look at it and we just have to let it go.”

(When asked, you only made one shot in OT was it because of the Spurs defense or your offence) “I think that we were down after the loss of the lead; then they tied it up at the end. We had too many guys that were hurt and not mature enough at this stage and just let it go. They (Spurs) attacked us, (Manu) Ginobili and (Tim) Duncan started off early and Ginobili carried them a lot in the fourth quarter. Then (Tony) Parker took over in the late in the game and in over-time. It was a heck of a ball game. I tried to get our guys to get out on the three point line and I said even if they score a two pointer it doesn’t matter. I look up and I’m yelling because everyone is inside the three point line and trying to guard their man. They should have just came out and caught them. I had the option to foul, which I don’t like to do. But I think that at that particular moment if we just give up a two and call a time-out get the ball in bounds and get the foul we win the game. We didn’t execute a couple of out of bounds plays late. Things that we normally do we didn’t do.”

(When asked, even in defeat how proud are you of your guys) “I’m very proud of them. They showed a lot of character. I knew it was going to be a battle early on. They were going to come out on us. We held them to 20 points even though we scored 14. Then they jumped out on us 33 to 18 and we just kept battling. In the third quarter we took the lead. I think at the start of the fourth quarter we relaxed. Also breaks didn’t go our way. The ball gets hit and instead of going to us it goes to them. Even the last play that (Manu) Ginobili hit the two on that they thought it was a three. I mean we had to steal it. If we steal it the game is over; the ball falls and we don’t get the loose ball they pick it up and drive throw it to (Tim) Duncan we all turn our heads then they toss it to Ginobili and we were just fortunate that it wasn’t a three. That’s the way it goes.

Tony Allen

(What goes through your mind when the three goes in?) “It was a great shot by Gary Neal.”

(Was it a tough loss?) “Yes it’s a tough loss considering the fact that we had our chances to close it out. I think throughout the game it’s a lot of things that led up to the loss. For example, the fifty-fifty balls we lost, I count can count numerous times we gave them second chance points off the free throw line, gambles, missed coverage’s on defense, and we still had our chances but for the most part the game boiled down to them playing harder than us in overtime.”

(Did you guys learn how difficult it is to close out a game in the playoffs?) “It was definitely going to be tough, we didn’t think it was going to be a cake walk. They fought harder than we did today and it showed in the stat sheet all around the board. We have to just stay together and keep our focus and togetherness going into the game at home.”

(Do you feel you guys still have some momentum left going home?) “Yea, we feel like we just have to win one out these next two. However we have to get it, it’s going to take everybody and everyone focusing to fight against the former champs.”

O.J. Mayo

(What did it say about the team being able to come back from being down 16 earlier in the game?) “We feel like we’re one of the tougher teams in the league and we’ve fought through a lot this year, and we will continue fighting.”

(Was it a tough loss for the team?) “Yea, it was a tough loss.”

(What changed from the past two games to this game?) “We just lost. We fought back, had a lead, we were up three with 1.7 seconds and Gary Neal hit a nice shot.”

(Is the team’s confidence level the same going into the next game?) “Yea, always. We had an opportunity to end it here but it was a tough loss so now we have to end it on Friday.”

Mike Conley

“That’s playoff basketball. Basketball at it’s best. It was back and forth with a lot of runs and a lot of big shots. There were a lot of big plays and that’s what we play for in this league.”

“It was a tough situation at the end. They hit two huge shots near the end of the game and that gave them a lot of momentum heading into overtime. In the extra frame they were able to pull away and take the victory. Now we just have to be able to wash that taste out of our mouths.”

“The plan on that last possession was just to play it out and deny the 3 point line. That’s the one thing we didn’t want to give up. If they wanted to drive inside, fine. I thought O.J. did a good job defensively on Neal, he just hit the shot.”

“Now we just have to stick to our game plan and do what we know we can do well. I think the fans at home deserve that. We are playing a great team in the Spurs and we embrace that. You want to play the best. You just go in focused, execute, and hopefully we can get it done at home.”

Crookshanks
04-28-2011, 12:41 AM
Sounds like this loss was a lot tougher on Memphis than we thought. I hope that little seed of doubt grows bigger and bigger before Friday!

I think if the Spurs can get a big lead in game 6, it will make a huge difference in the way Memphis plays.

ezau
04-28-2011, 01:26 AM
I feel that this game has somewhat affected Memphis. No matter how hard they try to hide it, those youngsters in that team will feel the pressure of closing us out on Friday. It's easy to play basketball when everyone's doubting you and that's what they did in winning three games in this series so far. Now that they need to close us on in their homecourt, let's see how they're going to respond.