PDA

View Full Version : Two alternatives that Memphis should have done earlier to advance:

Venti Quattro
04-28-2011, 07:28 AM
a) Miss the freethrow shot intentionally - riskier move
b) Make the freethrow shot, and then foul - WAI DIDN'T U DO DIS LOL

As great as they have been at playingthe Spurs in their series, missing out on minute details like this remind fans that they still lack the gamesmanship and the savvy. After all, their most experienced veteran's experience is only until the 2nd round.

Chieflion
04-28-2011, 08:39 AM

As great as they have been at playingthe Spurs in their series, missing out on minute details like this remind fans that they still lack the gamesmanship and the savvy. After all, their most experienced veteran's experience is only until the 2nd round.

As much as I hate to say this, that thug ass player Tony Allen won a championship in 2008.

Axe Murderer
04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-nativeamerican/ChiefJoseph5-500.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/lionking/images/d/d2/Lion.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
picture of an axe.jpeg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0bkp2XT0pNcbm/340x.jpg

Venti Quattro
04-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Holy shit my basketball rep has been destroyed :cry

stretch
04-28-2011, 09:50 AM
Battier messed up badly too on the inbounds with like 2 seconds to go and up one, because Conley got some massive separation from Parker or whoever was on him, and if Battier gave it to him in the backcourt, he might have been able to run most or all of the clock down

Killakobe81
04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Battier messed up badly too on the inbounds with like 2 seconds to go and up one, because Conley got some massive separation from Parker or whoever was on him, and if Battier gave it to him in the backcourt, he might have been able to run most or all of the clock down

Yep two huge errors by that shane "uncle Tom" Battier ...

I know he is an uncle Tom because he went to Duke and Jalen rose says so ...

Killakobe81
04-28-2011, 10:09 AM
Grizz may come to rue those mistakes ... if SA wins game 6 i think they take 7 too ...

Killakobe81
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
I thought duke players were supposed to have high BBall IQ's?

Trainwreck2100
04-28-2011, 11:46 AM

2 seconds left the guy is guaranteed to shoot so there is a higher risk of fouling a three point shot. They could have fouled with the nine seconds but that play was a clusterfuck

nkdlunch
04-28-2011, 11:48 AM
:lmao

lakerfans crying about their farm team

Venti Quattro
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
:lmao

lakerfans crying about their farm team

Great insight on your win!

JamStone
04-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Disagree. I think Memphis played it right.

To me, missing the second free throw only should be an option if it's under a second to go, and closer to .5 seconds or less.

And I think Hollins and the Grizz were right not to foul. It took an exceptional shot under pressure to tie the game. When your opponent makes an exceptional shot under pressure, you tip your cap. The worst case scenario is going into overtime. That's the right call. I'd play it how the Grizz played it 10 times out of 10.

I agree about the Battier inbounds except with one qualifier. I think the Grizz were dead set on getting the ball into Zach's hands for the free throws. Not that Conley can't make two free throws, but I think they wanted to go with Zach as the guy to close it out. I can't call them on that one too much even though it did seem like it might have been a better idea to try to run some clock.

Muser
04-28-2011, 11:54 AM
If you're up 3 you should always foul, it's logical.

JamStone
04-28-2011, 11:58 AM
With around 2 seconds left, the guy catching the inbounds pass is almost certainly going to go up with the shot and do it quickly. You risk fouling a three point shooter and giving them three free throws. If they make the three, especially when it's a role player and not someone like Ginobili, you live with it. Fouling makes no sense to me under those circumstances with the risk of fouling. If there were more seconds on the clock, say 5-10 seconds, where they can actually run a play and you force them to catch the basketball out towards halfcourt, then you can foul if you can make sure you do it without them going up for a shot. In last night's situation, I don't foul.

DJ Mbenga
04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5057243773_bcd2ae528a.jpg

Venti Quattro
04-28-2011, 12:01 PM
With around 2 seconds left, the guy catching the inbounds pass is almost certainly going to go up with the shot and do it quickly. You risk fouling a three point shooter and giving them three free throws. If they make the three, especially when it's a role player and not someone like Ginobili, you live with it. Fouling makes no sense to me under those circumstances with the risk of fouling. If there were more seconds on the clock, say 5-10 seconds, where they can actually run a play and you force them to catch the basketball out towards halfcourt, then you can foul if you can make sure you do it without them going up for a shot. In last night's situation, I don't foul.

2 seconds is enough for 1 dribble, square, shoot. Definitely you can grab a guy while he takes 1 dribble and squares up

cheguevara
04-28-2011, 12:05 PM
lakerfan why don't you go ahead and bump some more of my threads. I like when bitches do shit for me.

JamStone
04-28-2011, 12:06 PM
The NBA has an extremely loose interpretation of "shot attempt" in those situations. It's why players can take two steps and still get a continuation call. The player can take the dribble and almost simultaneously go up with the shot and while the defender is trying to grab him, the discretion at which an official will call the foul gets hazy. Could easily still be called a foul in the act of shooting.

Plus we're also talking about Gary Neal. I know he's a great three point shooter. But if he makes the game tying shot, then so be it. I'd be more open to your idea of fouling if it were Ginobili. Neal? Not so much, especially under the circumstances of the situation.

Cry Havoc
04-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Disagree. I think Memphis played it right.

To me, missing the second free throw only should be an option if it's under a second to go, and closer to .5 seconds or less.

And I think Hollins and the Grizz were right not to foul. It took an exceptional shot under pressure to tie the game. When your opponent makes an exceptional shot under pressure, you tip your cap. The worst case scenario is going into overtime. That's the right call. I'd play it how the Grizz played it 10 times out of 10.

I agree about the Battier inbounds except with one qualifier. I think the Grizz were dead set on getting the ball into Zach's hands for the free throws. Not that Conley can't make two free throws, but I think they wanted to go with Zach as the guy to close it out. I can't call them on that one too much even though it did seem like it might have been a better idea to try to run some clock.

:tu

The odds of Neal making that were awful. It was a one-dribble rushed shot, and he was NOT set, his legs were not even fully underneath him.

Just one of those shots that goes in. If you go out to foul, you could easily give them a 3 point play where there was a 2, a 4 point play where there was a 3, or even foul before the ball was inbounded.

Force them to make the shot. It's the right call. Even Manu said it: "We got lucky."

stretch
04-28-2011, 01:00 PM

If I were Conley, as soon as I catch the ball, I would chunk the ball as high in the air as possible. With only 2.2 seconds or whatever it was, there is no chance it ends up landing anywhere with time still on the clock.

JamStone
04-28-2011, 01:04 PM
If I were Conley, as soon as I catch the ball, I would chunk the ball as high in the air as possible. With only 2.2 seconds or whatever it was, there is no chance it ends up landing anywhere with time still on the clock.

crazy shit can happen in the NBA when you play not to lose

s5bqF4VDSx4

48zgjdNBES4

stretch
04-28-2011, 01:07 PM
both of those were awful inbounds passes though. Conley was wide open. But I get your point.

JamStone
04-28-2011, 01:14 PM
True, I'm just saying... anything can happen.

And it was only a 1 point game at that point.

Axe Murderer
04-28-2011, 01:32 PM
lol Michael Ruffin's dumbass only threw the ball like 20 feet in the air

ChrisRichards
04-28-2011, 01:39 PM
It was the right play IMO. its a gamble anyway you look at it. Had the grizz foul, the Spurs could make 1 FT and intentionally miss the second one for a putback, if you ask me I think a putback basket has a higher chance of going in than a out of balance three pointer.

Neal made an unbelievable shot, nothin you can do about that shit lol.

FailureNotAnOption
04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Lionel Hollins made the right call. The idea of fouling a shooter who has a play run for him just so he can catch the ball and hopefully have separation is (IMHO) obviously fallacious. He's going to catch the ball with two screeners like Duncan and Dyess on the floor; attempting to foul a *for sure* 3pt shot/shooter could easily be a huge, game-costing mistake.

cobbler
04-28-2011, 03:22 PM

The grizz made the right move as you said. You don't miss the free throw because it now gives the opposition a high difficulty shot TO WIN. You don't foul either for the same reason. The possibility of the 4 point play is there. Worst case scenario is OT.

You live with that shot Neal took. He made it! Unreal! Tip of the hat and now lets play 5 more mins since they have owned the spurs all series.

The Grizz played it right... It just didnt pan out because a great and unlikey shot was made.

Cessation
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Well grizz hit two fluke 3's already, it's about time something went spurs way.

Killakobe81
04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Jam makes some great points but my biggest issues were:

1. Battier not jumpingthe play after duncan's screen because what the fuck can tim do to hurt you that late in the shot clock INSIDE the 3 point line?

2. true, conley is not a great FT shooter but with his speed he runs off most of that clock ....

I do agree when you lose on that shot, Manu's AND the fluke "flip jumper" that Neal earlier (when the grizz had stripped the ball loose) ...you chalk it up to bad luck ...but Grizz hurt themselves as well.

Killakobe81
04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
And my biggest issue (and I admit I hate duke) is Battier. I had been advocating him playing because the Grizz have so many young unproven players and you need a savvy vet in the mix. Last night he was the opposite of that ...with the aforementioned plays plus couple of and 1's fouls ...

Sure you cant fault losing on an amazing shot ...but you can fault your best veteran leader making key mistakes that led to your downfall ...

ElNono
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Venti for COY, imho, tbh

SourCandy
04-28-2011, 05:52 PM
crazy shit can happen in the NBA when you play not to lose

I remember a play where steve kerr did something like that in a playoff game irrc. I was to young to remember the details(it may have been a championship dvd) But I remember steve hitting the ball away like a volleyball just to waste time. I remember thinking wtf is he doing!? :lol

Axe Murderer
04-28-2011, 06:00 PM
sup SourCandy

SourCandy
04-28-2011, 06:07 PM
sup SourCandy

http://goodshepherd-rcfe.com/images/waving_smiley_face.gif

hi axe murderer :(

jmill
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
lakerfan why don't you go ahead and bump some more of my threads. I like when bitches do shit for me.

hubris or hybris

— n
1. pride or arrogance
2. (in Greek tragedy) an excess of ambition, pride, etc, ultimately causing the transgressor's ruin