PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable: Game 7 (if necessary) Scheduled for 12pm CT Sunday

Gooshie
04-28-2011, 05:07 PM
This makes absolutely no sense to me.

IF the Spurs can somehow grind out a Game 6 win on Friday at Memphis, our reward will be to fly back to SA and play Game 7..... at 12PM CT on Sunday morning!! Why? Just so that the Game can be on ABC and so that Boston and Miami can have the "prime" 2:30pm CT start time.

The reason I bring this up is not because (with our old, tired legs) this start time would clearly favor the young Grizz, but because in 2006, an almost exact same scenario occured. Then, we won Game 6 at Sacramento late on Friday night and had to come back to San Antonio to play Game 1 vs. Dallas at Noon on Sunday.

Despite complaints from the Spurs and (of all people) Kings coach Rick Adelman, the League did not change the start time because they wanted the Heat to play in the 2:30pm CT time slot.

However, a couple of days later, the League admitted their mistake and said they should not have scheduled the Spurs-Mavs game so early - that it was not fair to the Spurs.

Now, unlike 2006, I realize that both the Grizz and Spurs would be in the same boat, but wouldn't you think the League would want both teams to be at the top of their games for a classic Game 7??

I hope the Spurs have already called the League and complained about this. They should at the very least flip-flop the Boston-Miami time slot with the Spurs-Grizz time slot. But whatever, the chances of that happening are slim to none.

honestfool84
04-28-2011, 05:10 PM
i hope the Spurs call and complain... this is bullcrap.

rayray2k8
04-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I think Memphis is playing the game game.
If the Spurs don't win on friday, you won't have to worry about sunday.

rayray2k8
04-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Wait, there's no other game beside the Heat and Celtics game. What makes you think it'll be an early game time??

toki9
04-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Nobody outside of Memphis/San Antonio really cares about either of the two teams...the league certainly doesn't...it's just about ratings...nothing personal or fair about it...it just is...

Gooshie
04-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Wait, there's no other game beside the Heat and Celtics game. What makes you think it'll be an early game time??

Go look at the schedule on ESPN.com. It's already scheduled to be on ABC

mexicanjunior
04-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Worry about winning game 6 before the scheduled start time of game 7...

ElNono
04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Nobody outside of Memphis/San Antonio really cares about either of the two teams...the league certainly doesn't...it's just about ratings...nothing personal or fair about it...it just is...

How is it about ratings if nobody cares? :lol

Pick a lane...

rayray2k8
I'm looking on yahoosports, spurs.com and nba.com
They have it at TBD. I think they'll probably move this to a later time.

fyatuk
Didn't the same thing happen after beating NO and heading to LA (with the added miscue of being stuck on the tarmac overnight)?

Gooshie
04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Worry about winning game 6 before the scheduled start time of game 7...

True. But the point is to win the Series, not just Game 6. In my opinion, we would be at a huge disadvantage in Game 7.

Gooshie
04-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Didn't the same thing happen after beating NO and heading to LA (with the added miscue of being stuck on the tarmac overnight)?

Nope, Game 7 vs. NO was a Monday night, and Game 1 vs. LA was a Wednesday night. I have no problem with that.

Gooshie
04-28-2011, 05:26 PM

God, I hope so! But ESPN is owned by ABC, so they may have already decided that's what they want. Usually what they want, they get.

ChumpDumper
04-28-2011, 05:27 PM
After a day's rest I don't see much to complain about.

Reck
04-28-2011, 05:29 PM
It only means Memphis gets to go home by 3PM.

Kidding. But really, who cares.

Hoops Czar
04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
True. But the point is to win the Series, not just Game 6. In my opinion, we would be at a huge disadvantage in Game 7.

Why? Because we are playing two hours earlier. Do you really think it matters if the Spurs had the primetime time slot, the outcome would be any different?

This isn't the same situation as 2006. The Spurs aren't starting a second round series. They're finishing up the first round and you can bet your ass that if Miami or Boston were still playing first round opponents, ABC would take them instead. It certainly beats the old days where they played b2b's.

alchemist
04-28-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm not even concerned about Sunday, nobody should honestly. We have long odds to even win tomorrow and that's the only thing I'm worried about.

rascal
04-28-2011, 06:10 PM

They will showcase the Boston-Miami game at the time they determine will draw the best ratings. That is the big game of the day, even better than a game 7 between two teams the country doesn't care about.

xtremesteven33
04-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Hopefully the plane actually makes it to San Antonio Friday night and not have to sleep in the plane again...

SAtown
04-28-2011, 06:13 PM
After tomorrow's beatdown you dipshits are going to wish there was a game at noon on Sunday.

JR3
04-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Sweet! Duncan does well in noon games.

toki9
04-28-2011, 06:18 PM
How is it about ratings if nobody cares? :lol

Pick a lane...

Nobody cares about either of the two teams, so no use in wasting a better time slot on them...it's the undercard to the main event...remember Cleveland/San Antonio finals? One of the least watched NBA finals in history?

JamStone
04-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Maybe as a #1 seed, don't let the series get to a game 7 and you don't have to worry about the time of game 7. Spurs have only themselves to blame if it does get to a game 7.

NewcastleKEG
04-28-2011, 06:29 PM
That's enough rest. NHL plays the next day!

TE
04-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Worry about game six first.

Plus, as chumpdumper noted, there will be a day for rest.

Dex
04-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Maybe as a #1 seed, don't let the series get to a game 7 and you don't have to worry about the time of game 7. Spurs have only themselves to blame if it does get to a game 7.

So #1 seeds should be penalized because they are better than everybody? What exactly is supposed to be the incentive to win the most games then?

I know where you're coming from; 8 seed should be a weak opponent and an easy out. The fact of the matter is, that shit doesn't happen in the West anymore. Maybe in the East, but out here, teams 1-8 are all teams capable of an upset. Especially when those teams purposefully tank for positioning.

I'm not expecting them to lay out the red carpet or anything, but come on. We had to deal with a noon-start in Game 1. Noon games are notoriously quieter because people show up late, the beer isn't flowing, and most people are still rubbing the weekend sleepies out of their eyes. Home-court advantage has less of an impact when your crowd isn't really into it.

Maybe I'm just being spoiled, but I'll be less than happy if they try to force another one of these on us for a Game 7, especially following a late Friday game and flight home.

MannyIsGod
04-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Well no shit but whats the point of getting the #1 seed if you still managed to get screwed?

siraulo23
04-28-2011, 06:41 PM
not gonna end well
bumps tomorrow=nightmare

rmt
04-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Don't think about Sunday. Spurs will be lucky to have a game to play on Sunday no matter the time.

JamStone
04-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Well no shit but whats the point of getting the #1 seed if you still managed to get screwed?

Where would game 7 be played?

That's the point.

Chief
04-28-2011, 08:02 PM
who gives a shit !

we would be lucky enough to even be in that situation the play we have played this series, time to Man Up, they can rest during the summer !!

FromWayDowntown
04-28-2011, 08:06 PM
In a very technical sense, the scheduling makes perfect sense because it ensures -- if there is a Game 7 -- that the entire First Round will be over by the time that the Second Round starts with MIA/BOS on Sunday.

At this point, they could schedule Game 7 for 7:00 am on Sunday and if the Spurs had to play at that hour, I'd take it.

With that said, I absolutely agree with JamStone. If there is a Game 7, the Spurs have only themselves to blame if they face an adverse schedule.

san antonio spurs
04-28-2011, 08:19 PM
I could understand if you were complaining about that game and both teams weren't in the same situation.
No excuses...just be glad that IF there is a game 7 it's in SA.

rwb
04-28-2011, 10:22 PM
IF there is a Game 7, we all know how well the Spurs play at noon on ABC. In other words, we're screwed.

Obstructed_View
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I must be missing something. How exactly are the Spurs being "screwed" in a game seven at home against a team that has to make the exact same trip?

Oh, never mind. We can discuss this if the Spurs manage to get it together and win what's going to be one of the major fucking gutchecks of the Duncan era.

Spurminator
04-28-2011, 10:46 PM
In a very technical sense, the scheduling makes perfect sense because it ensures -- if there is a Game 7 -- that the entire First Round will be over by the time that the Second Round starts with MIA/BOS on Sunday.

At this point, they could schedule Game 7 for 7:00 am on Sunday and if the Spurs had to play at that hour, I'd take it.

With that said, I absolutely agree with JamStone. If there is a Game 7, the Spurs have only themselves to blame if they face an adverse schedule.

My thoughts exactly. Mia-Bos is a 2nd round game. It deserves the better spot.

Anyway, the Spurs had plenty of time off between the first few games.

04-28-2011, 10:50 PM
lol spur fans acting like the spurs already won game 6.

stnick2261
04-28-2011, 10:56 PM
The big difference is before, there was a different opponent between friday and sunday and the Mavs were already rested... this year, both teams have the same amount of rest.... yeah, it favors the young guys, but not enough to get upset about it

Sean Cagney
04-28-2011, 11:13 PM

This is very true there.

50 cent
04-28-2011, 11:33 PM
One other thing to note is that this series has been the slowest first round series in the entire Playoffs. The Spurs got their rest early (probably because the league didn't expect this series to go 7) and now they want to get the 1st round over with.

hsxvvd
04-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I really hope I get a chance to be pissed off about this.

Sean Cagney
04-29-2011, 12:19 AM
I really hope I get a chance to be pissed off about this.

timtonymanu
04-29-2011, 12:20 AM
Let's just worry about winning Game 6 right now.

ALVAREZ6
04-29-2011, 12:22 AM
oh please, who gives a shit, complaining about this is stupid and useless

The Spurs have been lucky as hell with that last game, and winning game 6 will likely also take a nice amount of good fortune. Game 7 could be on Saturday and I'd be happy. One game at a time you jackass, you should only be focused and concerned on game 6.

ElNono
04-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Nobody cares about either of the two teams, so no use in wasting a better time slot on them...it's the undercard to the main event...remember Cleveland/San Antonio finals? One of the least watched NBA finals in history?

If nobody cared, they'll move it to NBA TV in the afternoon...

DMC
04-29-2011, 01:39 AM
It's always something. Win or go home. That's all that matters.

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2011, 02:11 AM
Imagine if there's a noon game on Sunday AND Joey Crawford is calling it....

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2011, 02:13 AM
Imagine if there's a noon game on Sunday AND Joey Crawford is calling it....

Honestly, as long as the Spurs win game 6 they can have Bryant Reeves reffing for all I care :lol

ElNono
04-29-2011, 02:30 AM
If you assured me there's going to be a Game 7, I don't care if it's Sunday at 1 AM and Stern himself refs it... I think the players probably feel the same way...

Bruno
04-29-2011, 05:25 AM
I like that. The soonest is the game 7, the more rest Spurs will have before the first game against a well rested Thunder team.

Now, Spurs just need to win game 6 and game 7 against Grizzlies. :downspin:

bigfan
04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Enough whining. Lets win game 6 first, who gives a shit when game 7 is?

Jimcs50
04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Hell, if we get a game 7 after being down 3-1, I do not care if Spurs play at midnight.

:p:

timvp
04-29-2011, 09:32 AM
I agree with Gooshie. The chances of the Spurs winning Game 6 and then coming back and winning Game 7 on short rest (the closest thing to a back-to-back in these playoffs) has to statistically be pretty slim. Add the travel and the overtime of Game 5 ... and it's gonna be tough.

Jimcs50
04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with Gooshie. The chances of the Spurs winning Game 6 and then coming back and winning Game 7 on short rest (the closest thing to a back-to-back in these playoffs) has to statistically be pretty slim. Add the travel and the overtime of Game 5 ... and it's gonna be tough.

It favors the home team on back to backs.

And this year, I think Spurs faired pretty well on back to backs, if I'm not mistaken.

Is this not why Pop limited our older players' minutes this year, for this very reason?

polandprzem
04-29-2011, 10:17 AM

And this year, I think Spurs faired pretty well on back to backs, if I'm not mistaken.

Is this not why Pop limited our older players' minutes this year, for this very reason?

Yup he limited their minutes so now they are not prepared for the longer stretches of playing

mexicanjunior
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM

That's at least what we were sold for 82 games...I think the Spurs would be ecstatic to just force a game 7 in the first place and would play it at 4am if they had to...

kaji157
04-29-2011, 04:39 PM
If we get to the game 7 that itself will give them the energy to go and play it.

SplitterHook
04-29-2011, 04:53 PM
That's what happens when you need 7 games to beat the 8th seed.

Unfortunately..

Ginofan
04-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Just being happy to get to game 7? Come on! I'm not gonna be satisfied with anything less than a championship. They've worked hard for that #1 seed, they SHOULD have some benefits for it besides getting HCA.

I know the NBA has not given a rat's ass about the Spurs during our entire franchise history and yet we've managed to shove 4 trophies down their throats, it's about time they gave us some credit and quit with these BS commercials and shitty scheduling. Their schtick is getting old and has been long past the point of being lame. Not everyone is a Lakerfan, deal with it.

scottspurs
04-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Just need to win tonight for starters. I doubt the spurs even care about it as of right now. It's a problem they hope they have.

timvp
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM

In this specific scenario, the Grizzlies would have a massive advantage in a back-to-back. Duncan and Ginobili both played a lot worse in games with no rest this season.

DMC
04-29-2011, 07:28 PM
Honestly, as long as the Spurs win game 6 they can have Bryant Reeves reffing for all I care :lol
Or Tim Donaghy.

Kori Ellis
04-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Spurs just need to blow out the Grizz today, rest the starters in the second half...and then it won't matter what time the game is on Sunday. Spurs by 20. ;)

Pero
04-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Spurs just need to blow out the Grizz today, rest the starters in the second half...and then it won't matter what time the game is on Sunday. Spurs by 20. ;)

Looking good for the Spurs getting a lot of rest so far. :lol

FromWayDowntown
04-29-2011, 08:38 PM

I'd be happy at this point if the Spurs could score 20 in a quarter. . . . [/grumble]

tlongII
04-29-2011, 08:45 PM
lol @ game 7

ecksrobecks
04-29-2011, 10:38 PM
good news, they get to sleep in now

SAtown
04-29-2011, 10:55 PM
You idiots still want to cry about this?