PDA

View Full Version : What Nazr & NBA Players Are Listening To?

milkyway21
06-08-2005, 03:37 AM
What NBA players are listening to
Story Tools: Print Email XML
DIME Magazine / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 4 hours ago

You can't go into an NBA locker room these days without seeing headphones all over the place. Copping the hottest albums and trading playlists — for ballers, music is a necessity.

We wanted to get a first-hand look at what's bumping in the NBA these days, so Dime Magazine checked in with the Phoenix Suns, Denver Nuggets and a handful of other NBA players to see what everyone is listening to.

Phoenix Suns
Quentin Richardson: "Music's very important to me," Richardson says. "I listen to music all the time. Taking a shower, chilling, playing video games, in the car, everywhere."

Of course, his fiancee Brandy is at the top of the list of artists. He has all of her albums downloaded and has a "B-Rocka" (Richardson's nickname for Brandy) playlist.

Brandy aside, Richardson listens to a lot of old-school artists including Al Green, Anita Baker and Barry White. He also has Enya "because of Brandy. She loves Enya." R. Kelly and Tupac are among his other favorites.

Of course Quentin Richardson's fiancee Brandy is on his music list. (Andrew D. Bernstein / Getty Images)

Shawn Marion: "Anyone who knows me knows I'm a music fanatic," Marion says. "Music is my everyday life. I gotta have music, whether it's a CD or an iPod, I gotta have something."

Marion says he has more than 6,000 songs downloaded.

Marion rocks a lot of hip-hop — Jadakiss, The Game and R. Kelly — but he also enjoys soft rock and alternative music, including Elton John, George Michael, Creed, Avril Lavigne and Kylie Minogue.

Joe Johnson: The majority of Johnson's music is by "Down South" artists, as he likes to stay true to his Arkansas roots. His favorites include Ludacris, T.I., Lil' Wayne and Nelly. JJ also likes to keep it old school with Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson and Johnny Taylor.

Steve Nash: Like Richardson, Nash signed with the Suns as a free agent last summer. But unlike Richardson, Nash isn't permanently tethered to his music. "I like to read on the road, so I don't bring my iPod very often," Nash says.

Nash, who was born in South Africa but grew up in Victoria, British Columbia, likes music from all ends of the earth. He listens to Brazilian and Latin music, along with classic rock from the Rolling Stones and David Bowie.

Amare Stoudemire: "I love music, but I'm not obsessed with it," Stoudemire says. "It's a relaxing thing and it's good to listen to when you're alone or when you're chilling with your buddies."

Stoudemire often listens to music in his hotel rooms on the road. Since the rooms are almost always equipped with CD players, he brings his Tupac Shakur library to help him get both relaxed and hyped. Stoudemire says Tupac is "all I listen to."

Coach Mike D'Antoni: While his players mostly listen to hip-hop and R&B, D'Antoni favors a wide range of music. "Michael McDonald to Toby Keith to Five for Fighting to Bruce Hornsby," D'Antoni says. "Then there's Phil Collins and James Taylor."

Of course, D'Antoni listens to Brandy too. "Because of Quentin," D'Antoni says. "I gotta have that."

Denver Nuggets

Marcus Camby rocks a ton of classic 70s and 80s songs, plus current hip-hop, R&B and even some Alan Jackson. (Garrett Ellwood / Getty Images)

Now that the Nuggets are out of the playoffs after a first-round loss to the Spurs, they'll have plenty of time to dig in and get their play lists updated. But here's what they have been listening to.

Marcus Camby: "Every day I listen to music," Camby says. "You spend a majority of time in a hotel room. There's only so much SportsCenter you can watch."

He rocks a ton of classic 70s and 80s songs, plus current hip-hop, R&B and even some Alan Jackson. "I'm an East Coast Guy, so I probably have the most East Coast music on the team."

Carmelo Anthony: Anthony has two separate playlists, one with "old school" music and one with "new school" songs. His old school favorites include artists like Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, Gladys Knight and Kenny G.

'Melo's new-school favorites include Jadakiss, Method Man and Jay-Z, and he's quick to point out: "I don't have any country or heavy metal."

Bryon Russell: "Music is life. Life is Music. Music calms the nerves," Russell says. "Whenever we go on road trips, I have to have it. Even if it's a one day trip."

Russell listens to a ton of oldies. "The O'Jays, The Isley Brothers, Club Nouveau, you name it, I got all that," Russell says." The old-school stuff is side-by-side with plenty of Snoop, Xzibit, Jadakiss and Fat Joe.

Rodney White: White might have the most intriguing mix of all of his Nuggets teammates. "Gospel and Christian songs, R&B rap — the whole variety." :angel

Some of White's favorite musical choices are Sade, Marvin Gaye, Lenny Kravitz, a lot of old-school music and Michael Jackson's entire library.

What are other players listening to?

Vince Carter, Nets: Well, I listen to all types of music from hip-hop to R&B to jazz to rock and I try to keep them all in heavy rotation. As for jazz though, I love old school and new school stuff, like Miles Davis and even Kenny G.

Kirk Hinrich, Bulls: "I got everything from Aerosmith to Guns 'n Roses, Creed, hip-hop."

Nazr Mohammed, Spurs: "Crunk Juice, Usher, T.I. And I just bought the new Trick Daddy." :)

Kareem Rush, Bobcats: "R&B and hip-hop. I'm a big Jay-Z fan, Eminem fan, huge John Legend fan, huge Maxwell fan. I always gotta go with my classic Maxwell for the ladies. I mess with The Game — he's hot.

Ben Gordon, Bulls: "I got pretty much every genre except rock and roll, and country. The last CD I bought was 50 Cent's new album."

Jerome Williams, Knicks: "Beenie Man, Usher, Snoop. Ya know, Snoop's my cousin. He's in the Dogg Pound too."

Tyson Chandler, Bulls: "The Game. That's my boy."

------------------------------------------------------

Marion says he has more than 6,000 songs downloaded. ..that's a lot of song there, Marion:D

....so, anybody here knows Duncan's playlists?

:music :music :music :music :music

gospursgojas
06-08-2005, 03:43 AM
What NBA players are listening to

Now that the Nuggets are out of the playoffs after a first-round loss to the Spurs, they'll have plenty of time to dig in and get their play lists updated.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Timoha
06-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I think that Tim has said that he listens to rap/hip hop but I'm not sure what in particular.

timvp
06-08-2005, 03:48 AM
Nazr Mohammed, Spurs: "Crunk Juice, Usher, T.I. And I just bought the new Trick Daddy."

The Spurs officially have a real center.

Congrats, Spurs fans.

http://wmg.jp/artist/trickdaddy/images/666-mid.jpg

Ah ha
Okay
Wassup
Shutup

Sense
06-08-2005, 03:50 AM

Congrats, Spurs fans.

Ah ha
Okay
Wassup
Shutup

Ooo I see another fan...

milkyway21
06-08-2005, 03:50 AM
I think that Tim has said that he listens to rap/hip hop but I'm not sure what in particular.and i read somewhere he likes raggae music? forgive me, but i don't even know what a kind of music raggae is.....:music

BTW, it seems the NBA had second thoughts on banning players from using iPods since that Vince Carter's incident. Maybe bec. Vince made some remarks on Duncan using of it too?

Sense
06-08-2005, 03:52 AM
and i read somewhere he likes raggae music? forgive me, but i don't even know what a kind of music raggae is.....:music

BTW, it seems the NBA had second thoughts on banning players from using iPods since that Vince Carter's incident. Maybe bec. Vince made some remarks on Duncan using of it too?

I also believe Duncan likes Raeggae...

I think there was an interview at one point during the season that the ESPN Crew asked him what kind of music he had in his ipod..

He answered all those three...

If I remember correctly.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 03:53 AM
The iPods are still banned in the official warmup period. They always have been.

Sense
06-08-2005, 03:56 AM
The iPods are still banned in the official warmup period. They always have been.

Why? Did I miss this ? I think I had seem Tim use one while warming up...

milkyway21
06-08-2005, 03:58 AM
I also believe Duncan likes Raeggae...

I think there was an interview at one point during the season that the ESPN Crew asked him what kind of music he had in his ipod..

He answered all those three...

If I remember correctly.if Duncan likes music, certainly the "kid" of the team Parker likes :music, too! But i didn't see Parker w/ an iPod before.

milkyway21
06-08-2005, 04:00 AM

okay iPods are only allowed in the locker rooms:cry

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 04:00 AM
They are allowed to listen to headphones/iPods in warmups, just not in the official 20-minute warmup period right before the tip -- because it goes against the NBA's dress code or something to that effect.

milkyway21
06-08-2005, 04:05 AM
Of course, D'Antoni listens to Brandy too. "Because of Quentin," D'Antoni says. "I gotta have that."
:lol i hope it's not mandatory, coach...:shootme

Dingle Barry
06-08-2005, 04:48 AM
Q listens to Enya? He is officially a homo

Useruser666
06-08-2005, 07:32 AM
Enya makes great fishing music.

TDMVPDPOY
06-08-2005, 07:54 AM
I think duncan is listenin to bad boys bad boys what you gonna do, wht you gonna do when we come for you...

spur219
06-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Alright Shawn Marion and Kirk Hinrich listen to Creed. But someone should tell them that they are now the new and improved with new singer Alter Bridge. They are better than Creed.

Solid D
06-08-2005, 08:22 AM
and i read somewhere he likes raggae music? forgive me, but i don't even know what a kind of music raggae is.....:music

Turn sound on
http://www.bobmarley.com/music/

SPARKY
06-08-2005, 08:34 AM

Congrats, Spurs fans.

Ah ha
Okay
Wassup
Shutup

:lol Indeed.

spurschick
06-08-2005, 08:40 AM
I actually have a Tim Duncan mix CD. A friend of mine used to work at a detailing shop. Tim brought one his cars in and the guys made a copy of the CD that was in the player.:rolleyes The mix is called "Def Jam Recordings 1995-2001". I'm not familiar with titles and artists, but I do recognize most of the songs. Among them are:

Pop Goes The Weasel - 3rd Base
Fight For Your Right - Beastie Boys
Party Up - DMX
Fight The Power - Public Enemy

I'll be happy to make anybody a copy.

SouthernFried
06-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Someone doesn't know what Raggae is? What's the world coming to when Bob Marley's music is no longer even recognized...

I'm encouraged to see there is so much "old school" music being listened to. Marvin Gaye was one of the best...died way too young and tragically.

I thought there'd be much more rap and hip-hop listened to. There's still way too much of it...but, this article is encouraging, and hopefully, it's on the decline.

It's hard to call something music, when the majority of it nobody's even playing an damned instrument! Poetry with a drum track is the best I could call it.

With apologies to poets...and to drummers.

MI21
06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
:lol @ Timvp.

Never though I would hear that a Spurs center listens to Dirty South music. Nazr doesn't look the type either.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/jack_mccallum/03/03/contenders/t1_nazr.jpg

"Get back motherfucker you don't know me like that"

MI21
06-08-2005, 09:39 AM
I thought there'd be much more rap and hip-hop listened to. There's still way too much of it...but, this article is encouraging, and hopefully, it's on the decline.

It's hard to call something music, when the majority of it nobody's even playing an damned instrument! Poetry with a drum track is the best I could call it.

:(

Granted I don't know much about Reggae, but isn't that just singing over a very simple drum type beat? Now isn't the time nor the place to get into an argument about music, but is absolutely amazing to me how Hip-Hop is hated by so many in this forum, particuly a basketball forum.

Nikos
06-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Most forms of music originated specifically to express thoughts, ideas, etc.

Why is it always assumed that music has to be some complex form of instrumentaion?

Some people might tend to prefer good beats or instrumental work -- some prefer their music to have strong vocals/lyrics.

Solid D
06-08-2005, 09:52 AM
I would think someone named Duncan would like Hip-hop and rap because people are always sayin'....
"Yo Yo".

http://store1.yimg.com/I/y4lcom_1843_6088802 http://store1.yimg.com/I/y4lcom_1843_8561049

SPARKY
06-08-2005, 09:53 AM
This might be Radosoft's problem. Someone needs to slip him some hip hop when he's not looking...

boutons
06-08-2005, 09:56 AM
"What's the world coming to when Bob Marley's music is no longer even recognized..."

I was in Jamaica last November for a week, in Long Bay on the non-touristique east end of Jamaica.

A couple of the neighbor guys are DJs and singers. They said there's almost no Reggae left in Jamaica, it's all hip-hop, rap. At least, what gets requested at the clubs is no longer Reggae.

SouthernFried
06-08-2005, 10:02 AM

Why is it always assumed that music has to be some complex form of instrumentaion?

Some people might tend to prefer good beats or instrumental work -- some prefer their music to have strong vocals/lyrics.

Well, as a musician...I always considered "music" to be...well, musical.

I like good vocals/lyrics as well. Some fantastic vocals done during mo-towns glory days. Harmonies were king in those days. Why I was encouraged so many NBA players listed Marvin Gaye. You don't have to have "complex" instrumentation to be musical. A single guitar and good vocals/lyrics can do it. Hell, you don't even need instrumentation to have music. A good singer, singing alone would do it. Although some might say a good singers voice is, in fact...an instrument. Which I agree with.

The reason I don't consider rap, hip-hop music is...well, cuz it ain't. There is basically no instrumention outside of computerized drum tracks...and the singing...well, what singing?

Music is supposed to be musical. Rap and hip-hop are more poetry than music. And, imho, lousy poetry for the most part :)

MI21
06-08-2005, 10:17 AM

Cha-Ching.

I love a crunchy guitar solo, but I also love a great beat or an awesome flow. Why deny yourself of something good to hear just because of some generally preconceived notion of what "music" is?

(Not talking directly to you SouthernFriend, just in general)

Anyhoo, no more, this topic gets me rambling If I am not careful! :)

Go Spurs Go!!!

Nikos
06-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Music is an expression of the deepest feelings, beliefs and desires of the musician. Good music comes from deep inside, and deep down in yourself, your emotional sides, and intellectual sides merge.

While some rap may seem to have very simple lyrics or several samples from 80s songs with a poor rapper spittin' lyrics over them, not ALL rap is like that. There is actually some excellent rap acts over the years that aren't all about the GANGSTA image. Try a group like A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Eric B and Rakim, EPMD etc... Some of these acts are musical, some have excellent lyricists. Not all rap is like the stuff you see on MTV today (even that stuff is not all that generic and unoriginal).

As far as the instrumentation and the computerized comment, how many times can a recording be played back before it is no longer music? If I record a drummer playing a loop, and then play it back while I rap to it, does that mean that the drum loop is no longer music?

Just because someone plays keyboard and is not playing the direct instrument (rather pressing buttons that represent an instrument) doesn't mean he or she is not a musician. I know you did not imply that, but a song can be considered musical in its arrangements as well as the simple act of playing a tangible instrument.

Some Rap Acts do sample old songs from the 80s, but many do it in a clever way and arrange their songs to form a very artistic musical piece.

Personally I do like most forms of music, and I do appreciate good instrumentation (I even like a lot of songs with no lyrics at all). But I don't find it neccesary that a singer has to harmonize his voice in order to be effective as a singer/lyricist in a song.

Just a preference. Not saying all Rap Acts are extremely musical, some aren't, but there is also a large amount of groups that have a lot of instrumentation to them.

mattyc
06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Kirk Hinrich, Bulls: "I got everything from Aerosmith to Guns 'n Roses, Creed, hip-hop."

Creed?!!?! :sleep :vomit

milkyway21
06-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Turn sound on
http://www.bobmarley.com/music/:lol thanks Solid D. Dumb me. I actually like Bob Marley's song, he used to play in Boracay once... only I refer it as Jamaican.

:music

Dre_7
06-08-2005, 09:31 PM
I read somewhere that Tim likes both Reggae and Hiphop.

Love Nazr's game, but HORRIBLE taste in music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

spur219
06-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Alter Bridge is a lot better than Creed. Myles Kennedy is the best voice in rock music right now.

milkyway21
06-08-2005, 09:36 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Dre_7
06-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Creed?!!?! :sleep :vomit

Dude your high, creed is good stuff!

RobinsontoDuncan
06-08-2005, 10:04 PM

I agree, a lot of kids I work with listen to to that stuff, and at first I defended it..... but the thing is once I learned to understand the lyrics I was horrified. The part that bothers me is that these 16, 17, and 18 year olds believe what they hear in songs are real.

Dre_7
06-08-2005, 10:10 PM
I agree, a lot of kids I work with listen to to that stuff, and at first I defended it..... but the thing is once I learned to understand the lyrics I was horrified. The part that bothers me is that these 16, 17, and 18 year olds believe what they hear in songs are real.

Has nothing to do w/ the lyrics, crunk music just sucks!!!! :lol

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Alright Shawn Marion and Kirk Hinrich listen to Creed. But someone should tell them that they are now the new and improved with new singer Alter Bridge. They are better than Creed.

You're 14, right?

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Alter Bridge is a lot better than Creed. Myles Kennedy is the best voice in rock music right now.

Ok, you're 12. :lol