PDA

View Full Version : Believing Once Again? (Spurs @ Grizzlies - Game 6)

timvp
04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
To be honest with you, I was seething down the stretch of Game 5. With the Spurs down by three points and nine seconds remaining, I couldn't believe Pop had Antonio McDyess inbounding the ball. McDyess happens to be the worst passer on the team and statistically the most turnover-prone. I literally said, "Damn it, he's gonna throw it away." And a couple seconds later, McDyess throws a bad pass that is nearly stolen. He manages to get the ball back … only to throw it away again.

When Manu Ginobili scooped up the second McDyess misfire, I had hope once again. But as he launched the jumper, I saw referee Bob Delaney signal that it was a two-pointer, so I thought the game was over. No way Manu makes that shot. Falling backwards, over Marc Gasol, with no angle to see the rim? Only Manu.

Two Zach Randolph free throws later and the Spurs have another chance to tie with a three-pointer. Oh good, McDyess isn't inbounding the ball. But, wait, what in the what? Pop has Manu inbounding the ball? There's no time for a second pass! How can Pop not draw up a play for the team's hottest shooter who just so happens to be one of the best big moment players the game of basketball has ever known? I was shocked.

When Gary Neal caught the ball, I thought: "Well damn, after Neal misses this shot his confidence is going to be crushed. He's going to spend all summer replaying this shot in his mind. Pop and the rest of the team will probably lose belief in him. And after an unavoidable slow start to next season, Neal will probably go the way of Roger Mason, Jr. …"

Splash.

Wow. I don't think Neal has gotten enough credit for that shot. For a moment in time as the ball was in the air, the buzzer had sounded. The season was over. The Spurs didn't just lose to an eighth seed, they got manhandled by an eighth seed in five games. I wouldn't live to ever see a top seed fall quicker in the NBA playoffs.

Not only is Neal a rookie with virtually no history of taking game-deciding shots on a big stage, he had played a total of two minutes and 15 seconds since the end of the first half. After not making the proper defensive switch and exacerbating the situation by fouling as Gasol made a layup, Pop unceremoniously benched Neal. Even as the Spurs desperately searched for someone to provide offense in the third quarter, the first year guard out Towson was nailed to the bench.

But when Neal's number was called, he calmly delivered. Like it was absolutely no big deal. (I really do need to stop doubting Gary Neal. Apologies.)

Anyways, I'm hoping the Game 5 magic has the Spurs believing once again. It's been a couple of months since the team played with that winning edge that allowed for 61 wins. For much of the season, the Spurs seemed to relish opportunities to make a sometimes spectacular but always tough-minded run to capture victory and vanquish yet another unsuspecting victim. It became routine. But, especially since Tim Duncan's ankle injury, the Spurs had transformed from unyielding finishers to a team that turned into Larry, Curly and Moe plus two down the stretch.

Heading into Game 6, the Spurs need as much going right as possible. The unfortunate truth is that if both teams play well, the Grizzlies will probably win the game. Being at home is part of it. However, the biggest reason why the Spurs are at a disadvantage is the fact that Memphis has six players who are having a good amount of success posting up on the low block (Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol, Darrell Arthur, Shane Battier, Sam Young and Tony Allen). The Spurs, on the other hand, counter with Tim Duncan as their sole post up threat -- and he's had hardly any success posting up against this big and athletic Grizzlies squad.

As a result of the disparity in the post, the Grizzlies can get better shots at a much more consistent rate, while the Spurs have to scratch and claw for just about every bucket. Over the course of 48 minutes, it becomes a rather large chasm the Spurs have to overcome. To win Game 6, the Spurs need something out of the ordinary to happen. Whether it's a sizable free throw discrepancy, a barrage of three-pointers, Zach Randolph getting in foul trouble, a gaggle of offensive rebounds or a cold shooting night by Memphis, the Spurs need something. Status quo won't cut it.

Individually, the Spurs can't afford any collapses. Each of the nine players in the rotation need to produce, especially since the Grizzlies role players are sure to play much better in front of their raucous home crowd.

In Game 5, Tim Duncan came out of the gates with both guns blazing. He scored 11 points in the first quarter and appeared to be primed for a classic outing. That, however, didn't happen. He scored on an offensive rebound in the second quarter … and then never scored another point the rest of the way. In the third quarter, he got roundly outplayed by Gasol. In the fourth quarter and overtime, Duncan was invisible on the offensive end. To his credit, he played solid defense most of the time and pulled down important rebounds, but Duncan obviously needs to do more in Game 6.

I like the idea of Duncan being extremely aggressive on the offensive end -- especially if the Grizzlies seem tight due to the pressure. If he can get their bigs in foul trouble, that could be a game-changer. On the other end, Duncan's work on the defensive board will continue to be vital.

Manu Ginobili had a classic performance in Game 5. Sometimes (mostly in the fourth quarter) he made vexing decisions (like looping cross-court passes in the guts of the game or shooting a step-back three-pointer when it was 5 on 4) but came up with momentous plays at the end (most notably the no-look shot). The best news is that his elbow appeared to be less bothersome than any of the previous three games.

In Game 6, Ginobili needs to keep playing like Manu Ginobili. All out, every minute. Defensively, he has to step up a bit. Late in Game 5, the Grizzlies went right at him and had a lot of success. The Spurs can't afford for him to be a liability on that end.

It was odd that it took overtime for Tony Parker to come to life. If Neal's shot rims out, we would have spent most of the summer wondering what happened to Parker in the playoffs. It was like something finally snapped and he remembered who he was. In that extra session, Parker knocked down three huge jumpers and continuously broke down the Grizzlies D.

Playmaking-wise, Parker was also a lot better throughout Game 5. He went from having one assist and seven turnovers in Game 4 to posting nine assists and one turnover. And if it wasn't for his teammates missing a ton of open shots, especially in the third quarter, Parker's assist total would have been even more impressive. In Game 6, if he can continue to create shots and play with the confidence he had in overtime, the Spurs will have a fighting chance.

In all the hoopla, George Hill's contributions have been forgotten. But if it wasn't for his strong play late in the third and early in the fourth quarter as the Grizzlies seemed to be about to pull away, there would be fishing poles in hands right now. Hill scored eight straight points as he played by far his most aggressive basketball of the series. Hill's late acrobatic layup also shouldn't be overlooked. His defense, which was horrible in Game 4, was much better. Tonight, more assertive play out of Hill would be a godsend.

With regards to Richard Jefferson, it may come down to hoping he doesn't suck. That couldn't be said for his Game 5 performance. Outside of a three-pointer and a lucky three-point play, Jefferson was atrocious. His defense effort was poor -- both mentally and physically. He couldn't contribute offensively. Basically, it was a disaster. Let's hope against hope for better.

I liked the fight we saw out of Antonio McDyess in Game 5. On both ends, he was giving it his all. The production didn't always match the effort but his will to win was infectious. If McDyess can slow down Randolph at all in Game 6, he could be the hero.

Like always, Matt Bonner got his 20 minutes. We can expect another 20 minutes in Game 6 … even though I have no idea why Pop keeps the faith. It's painfully obvious Bonner isn't a player who thrives in pressure. Add in the fact that Bonner is 0-for-8 on three-pointers in his last four postseason games played on the road and I can't say I'd be upset with a DNP-CD.

Tiago Splitter played about as well as one could imagine given the circumstances. His pick-and-roll play with Ginobili was very good. He rebounded. He played tough defense. He finished at the rim. He protected the rim. And perhaps most importantly, he showed a lot of improvement from Game 4. For example, in Game 4 he clogged the lane by standing under the basket while teammates were running pick-and-rolls. In Game 5, he kept his man occupied on the weakside and only flashed to the paint when he was open.

Splitter will get minutes in Game 6 when Duncan rests. However, I'd be all for him getting a lot more minutes. He's showing an ability to learn on the fly. He's a natural fit for this sort of playoff intensity. Right now, he's playing his best basketball of the season. The bottomline is that Splitter competes and the Spurs need as many competitors as possible against the Grizzlies.

Speaking of competitors, Gary Neal needs an expanded role. I see no harm in Neal taking some of Jefferson's minutes. If Hill is passive, Neal should be called upon. At the very least, Pop should see if Neal can build upon his Game 5 heroics. A big night by Neal could be just that something the Spurs need to send this thing to a Game 7.

Believe.

Mugen
04-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm most worried about Tim this game, actually. I think Manu and TP will attack the rim constantly tonight and hopefully get to the line a lot. But Tim has gotten worse offensively as the series has progressed. That blown layup last game can't be attributed to old age. He needs to step it up.

Biggest thing defensively tonight will be to keep the role players in check. It's going to be tough since they're playing at home but if we can limit Arthur, Young, Allen, Vasquez from providing a spark then I like the Spurs chances.

BoricuaCJA
04-29-2011, 12:59 PM
Believe!!
Neal with it!

ginobilized
04-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Amen!

Good read. The significance of Neal's shot was huge. Pop's trust, team's trust, hell the trust of Spurs nation and the city of San Antonio has been well-earned in one shot. The season's outcome was handed to a rookie and he delivered to let us live one more day.

I noticed no mention of Blair, timvp. Do you think he's done for this series?

The Spurs have definitely put Memphis in a pressure situation with a shadow of doubt from the last game.

Believe.

mingus
04-29-2011, 01:08 PM
It all comes down the beginning of the 3rd quarter. Keep it within styling distance going into the 4th and the guys that have been making shots for them all series are going to miss them down the stretch with all the pressure.

crc21209
04-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Believe.

Cry Havoc
04-29-2011, 01:17 PM
If Tiago doesn't play more than Matt Bonner tonight, I am seriously going to want Holt to demand answers from Pop. Wishful thinking, I know, but still, it's infuriating how much better Tiago is than Matt Bonner unless Bonner's shooting 50%+ from 3.

Brutalis
04-29-2011, 01:26 PM
I believe. I needed my team to inspire me and give me a reason to cheer. That's not being fair weather, that's my team quitting in game 4 and giving me nothing to go off of.

I'm on board for tonight.

polandprzem
04-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Sorry i didn't go through all the post LJ but dayumn one sec in your life is long as heck.

Spurs are in huge disadvantage. And "UR ->" about that something extra needs to happen.

Spurs has been outplayed so much it's not even funny and that have to play different kind of ball different from what they've been playing all year long.

To add to the drama - Pop now plays big with Splitt on the court while he has not been tested in this rotation. More! he has not been in rotation at all!
From my perspective right now it is not the best time to learn all the stuff.

All in all it was good to see TP playing better esp. at the playmaking department.
But still the spurs need to push the ball to have a chance. This series their pushing the ball into turnover.

Game 5 was a miracle. LJ have mentioned all that Dyess Gino Neal stuff but I can also remind you a Hill layup which was also fricking out of normal and % low play. Running full speed back scoop?

Jeeez

I was watching this game at the end with no emotions. When Neal nailed that shot I had absolutely no emotions what so ever.

Grizz are better

Spurs are spurs

Budkin
04-29-2011, 01:41 PM
Everyone on this team needs to leave it all out on the floor. Hustle on every play. Defend with intensity. Light it up. Destroy the confidence of these playoff rookies and take this shit back home for Game 7.

1. Believe.

TJastal
04-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Everyone on this team needs to leave it all out on the floor. Hustle on every play. Defend with intensity. Light it up. Destroy the confidence of these playoff rookies and take this shit back home for Game 7.

1. Believe.

+1

The spurs are outmatched physically and athletically but they have yet to draw on the reservoir of experience & mental toughness which should be in their favor.

spurs50_
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Does Novak really weigh more than Bonner? They probably have the same matador defense, but I think novak is a better shooter. Bonner has been stone cold this series and don't get me started on RJ. Go Spurs! Please win this game cause if it comes back to SA you will have to cut manu's arm off if you want to beat us at home.

Tp9gospursgo
04-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Believe.

polandprzem
04-29-2011, 02:17 PM
And btw.

Tiago is the best screener on the team. I think even better then TD esp. when TD does not paying much attention to set good pick - not waiting long enough.

If you want to play slip you play slip but when you want to set pick set a good one not something between.

Also spurs D inside was better. They were doubling more and interrupting memphis frontcourt.

Damn I wish mem be in a shooting slump

TDfan2007
04-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Great post, timvp. I expect another set of solid games from Tony and Manu. Being that it's a road game we're going to have to rely heavily on the big 3. Tim is the biggest question mark for me. He just looks off out there. Not sure what's going on, but he needs to get his shit together.

Think about this: we haven't had even ONE game this series where the big 3 all play well, and yet we've won two games. If Tim, Tony, and Manu can step up their games today our role players will feel less pressure and probably perform better.

Wing pick and rolls with Tony and high pick and rolls with Manu are a must. On Tim's touches on the wing the spacing needs to dramatically improve. Tim needs to stick with the faceup game on Gasol. Gasol is too big and strong for Tim on the block.

Let's get this one, then blow these guys out at home.

mouse
04-29-2011, 02:29 PM
It's sad that a Mav's fan like myself has more faith in your team than your taint sniffing wannabee Spur fans.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/kingsfan/duncan-hell.jpg

z0sa
04-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Nice Mouse!

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
It's a long hard Journey to the top, but Don't Stop Believing in this team.

Frenzy
04-29-2011, 02:41 PM
When neal nailed the 3 all I was thinking was...yes yes!...but will they make this worth it? When people come close to death they often turn their whole lives around with change. I hope with my heart of hearts they do. They become the spurs we saw earlier in the season. As soon as the game was over I said to my self what was told to private Ryan on that bridge.

6:50 mark.
LBXjThmQwWY

But will they...

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 02:43 PM
It's a long hard Journey to the top, but Don't Stop Believing in this team.

Yeah, I'm Feelin' That Way too.

quentin_compson
04-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Please, it's bad enough already without Journey. :p:

Well, as great as the comeback has been with the positive psychological impact for the Spurs and a possibly bad one for Memphis, there were many things in Game 5 that don't bode well for tonight's game. Memphis just doesn't quit, and they were pretty clutch down the stretch as well. Spurs again let their offensive rhythm be disrupted by this stingy Grizzlies defense.

I guess the Grizzlies will start out strong and the Spurs will have to stay afloat early on. Hopefully, there won't be one of those bad 3rd quarters we all know and fear.

Well: Believe.

mouse
04-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Don't Stop Believing

lSVnt3--Nnk

Bill_Brasky
04-29-2011, 02:50 PM
It's sad that a Mav's fan like myself has more faith in your team than your taint sniffing wannabee Spur fans.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/kingsfan/duncan-hell.jpg

Dude you just don't understand what it's like to be in our situation right no-

Wait......

Killakobe81
04-29-2011, 02:54 PM
To be honest with you, I was seething down the stretch of Game 5. With the Spurs down by three points and nine seconds remaining, I couldn't believe Pop had Antonio McDyess inbounding the ball. McDyess happens to be the worst passer on the team and statistically the most turnover-prone. I literally said, "Damn it, he's gonna throw it away." And a couple seconds later, McDyess throws a bad pass that is nearly stolen. He manages to get the ball back … only to throw it away again.

When Manu Ginobili scooped up the second McDyess misfire, I had hope once again. But as he launched the jumper, I saw referee Bob Delaney signal that it was a two-pointer, so I thought the game was over. No way Manu makes that shot. Falling backwards, over Marc Gasol, with no angle to see the rim? Only Manu.

Two Zach Randolph free throws later and the Spurs have another chance to tie with a three-pointer. Oh good, McDyess isn't inbounding the ball. But, wait, what in the what? Pop has Manu inbounding the ball? There's no time for a second pass! How can Pop not draw up a play for the team's hottest shooter who just so happens to be one of the best big moment players the game of basketball has ever known? I was shocked.

When Gary Neal caught the ball, I thought: "Well damn, after Neal misses this shot his confidence is going to be crushed. He's going to spend all summer replaying this shot in his mind. Pop and the rest of the team will probably lose belief in him. And after an unavoidable slow start to next season, Neal will probably go the way of Roger Mason, Jr. …"

Splash.

Wow. I don't think Neal has gotten enough credit for that shot. For a moment in time as the ball was in the air, the buzzer had sounded. The season was over. The Spurs didn't just lose to an eighth seed, they got manhandled by an eighth seed in five games. I wouldn't live to ever see a top seed fall quicker in the NBA playoffs.

Not only is Neal a rookie with virtually no history of taking game-deciding shots on a big stage, he had played a total of two minutes and 15 seconds since the end of the first half. After not making the proper defensive switch and exacerbating the situation by fouling as Gasol made a layup, Pop unceremoniously benched Neal. Even as the Spurs desperately searched for someone to provide offense in the third quarter, the first year guard out Towson was nailed to the bench.

But when Neal's number was called, he calmly delivered. Like it was absolutely no big deal. (I really do need to stop doubting Gary Neal. Apologies.)

Anyways, I'm hoping the Game 5 magic has the Spurs believing once again. It's been a couple of months since the team played with that winning edge that allowed for 61 wins. For much of the season, the Spurs seemed to relish opportunities to make a sometimes spectacular but always tough-minded run to capture victory and vanquish yet another unsuspecting victim. It became routine. But, especially since Tim Duncan's ankle injury, the Spurs had transformed from unyielding finishers to a team that turned into Larry, Curly and Moe plus two down the stretch.

Heading into Game 6, the Spurs need as much going right as possible. The unfortunate truth is that if both teams play well, the Grizzlies will probably win the game. Being at home is part of it. However, the biggest reason why the Spurs are at a disadvantage is the fact that Memphis has six players who are having a good amount of success posting up on the low block (Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol, Darrell Arthur, Shane Battier, Sam Young and Tony Allen). The Spurs, on the other hand, counter with Tim Duncan as their sole post up threat -- and he's had hardly any success posting up against this big and athletic Grizzlies squad.

As a result of the disparity in the post, the Grizzlies can get better shots at a much more consistent rate, while the Spurs have to scratch and claw for just about every bucket. Over the course of 48 minutes, it becomes a rather large chasm the Spurs have to overcome. To win Game 6, the Spurs need something out of the ordinary to happen. Whether it's a sizable free throw discrepancy, a barrage of three-pointers, Zach Randolph getting in foul trouble, a gaggle of offensive rebounds or a cold shooting night by Memphis, the Spurs need something. Status quo won't cut it.

Individually, the Spurs can't afford any collapses. Each of the nine players in the rotation need to produce, especially since the Grizzlies role players are sure to play much better in front of their raucous home crowd.

In Game 5, Tim Duncan came out of the gates with both guns blazing. He scored 11 points in the first quarter and appeared to be primed for a classic outing. That, however, didn't happen. He scored on an offensive rebound in the second quarter … and then never scored another point the rest of the way. In the third quarter, he got roundly outplayed by Gasol. In the fourth quarter and overtime, Duncan was invisible on the offensive end. To his credit, he played solid defense most of the time and pulled down important rebounds, but Duncan obviously needs to do more in Game 6.

I like the idea of Duncan being extremely aggressive on the offensive end -- especially if the Grizzlies seem tight due to the pressure. If he can get their bigs in foul trouble, that could be a game-changer. On the other end, Duncan's work on the defensive board will continue to be vital.

Manu Ginobili had a classic performance in Game 5. Sometimes (mostly in the fourth quarter) he made vexing decisions (like looping cross-court passes in the guts of the game or shooting a step-back three-pointer when it was 5 on 4) but came up with momentous plays at the end (most notably the no-look shot). The best news is that his elbow appeared to be less bothersome than any of the previous three games.

In Game 6, Ginobili needs to keep playing like Manu Ginobili. All out, every minute. Defensively, he has to step up a bit. Late in Game 5, the Grizzlies went right at him and had a lot of success. The Spurs can't afford for him to be a liability on that end.

It was odd that it took overtime for Tony Parker to come to life. If Neal's shot rims out, we would have spent most of the summer wondering what happened to Parker in the playoffs. It was like something finally snapped and he remembered who he was. In that extra session, Parker knocked down three huge jumpers and continuously broke down the Grizzlies D.

Playmaking-wise, Parker was also a lot better throughout Game 5. He went from having one assist and seven turnovers in Game 4 to posting nine assists and one turnover. And if it wasn't for his teammates missing a ton of open shots, especially in the third quarter, Parker's assist total would have been even more impressive. In Game 6, if he can continue to create shots and play with the confidence he had in overtime, the Spurs will have a fighting chance.

In all the hoopla, George Hill's contributions have been forgotten. But if it wasn't for his strong play late in the third and early in the fourth quarter as the Grizzlies seemed to be about to pull away, there would be fishing poles in hands right now. Hill scored eight straight points as he played by far his most aggressive basketball of the series. Hill's late acrobatic layup also shouldn't be overlooked. His defense, which was horrible in Game 4, was much better. Tonight, more assertive play out of Hill would be a godsend.

With regards to Richard Jefferson, it may come down to hoping he doesn't suck. That couldn't be said for his Game 5 performance. Outside of a three-pointer and a lucky three-point play, Jefferson was atrocious. His defense effort was poor -- both mentally and physically. He couldn't contribute offensively. Basically, it was a disaster. Let's hope against hope for better.

I liked the fight we saw out of Antonio McDyess in Game 5. On both ends, he was giving it his all. The production didn't always match the effort but his will to win was infectious. If McDyess can slow down Randolph at all in Game 6, he could be the hero.

Like always, Matt Bonner got his 20 minutes. We can expect another 20 minutes in Game 6 … even though I have no idea why Pop keeps the faith. It's painfully obvious Bonner isn't a player who thrives in pressure. Add in the fact that Bonner is 0-for-8 on three-pointers in his last four postseason games played on the road and I can't say I'd be upset with a DNP-CD.

Tiago Splitter played about as well as one could imagine given the circumstances. His pick-and-roll play with Ginobili was very good. He rebounded. He played tough defense. He finished at the rim. He protected the rim. And perhaps most importantly, he showed a lot of improvement from Game 4. For example, in Game 4 he clogged the lane by standing under the basket while teammates were running pick-and-rolls. In Game 5, he kept his man occupied on the weakside and only flashed to the paint when he was open.

Splitter will get minutes in Game 6 when Duncan rests. However, I'd be all for him getting a lot more minutes. He's showing an ability to learn on the fly. He's a natural fit for this sort of playoff intensity. Right now, he's playing his best basketball of the season. The bottomline is that Splitter competes and the Spurs need as many competitors as possible against the Grizzlies.

Speaking of competitors, Gary Neal needs an expanded role. I see no harm in Neal taking some of Jefferson's minutes. If Hill is passive, Neal should be called upon. At the very least, Pop should see if Neal can build upon his Game 5 heroics. A big night by Neal could be just that something the Spurs need to send this thing to a Game 7.

Believe.

hey great post/preview ...when most of your fanbase had written off the Spurs you stay true to your squad .. not only LAST game but the whole series ... props. :toast

mouse
04-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Please, it's bad enough already without Journey. :p:

Then post a better song that best describes what a "real" Spur fans is thinkig.

Like the many original San Antonio spurs fans in this city already know, one thing is for sure......you can't stop loving the Spurs........
like you can't stop .

GaehBH7DtR4

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/kingsfan/SBC-black.jpg

MaNuMaNiAc
04-29-2011, 02:59 PM
All we need is Parker back. If he can put in his 20 pts, we've got this.

silverblk mystix
04-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I am hoping like hell that this game is the one game where the spurs click on all cylinders...and while everyone is thinking of another grind out game...that the spurs just roll...

one of those games where everyone just clicks together and blows out this grizzlies team.

ploto
04-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Must win game at home and it took 2 miracle shots just to send it to overtime.

Splits
04-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Then post a better song that best describes what a "real" Spur fans is thinkig.

Like the many original San Antonio spurs fans in this city already know, one thing is for sure......you can't stop loving the Spurs........
like you can't stop .

GaehBH7DtR4

Umm, no. On ST, I'm pretty sure this is the only song on anyone's mind...

Come join me, dance with me
All you fellas chat along with me
sN62PAKoBfE

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 03:09 PM

It did? I'm sure this forum is full of people that didn't know that. Captain obvious with a vagina. :rolleyes

peacemaker885
04-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I believe in the guys.

Brutalis
04-29-2011, 03:14 PM
SA better bring it hard tonight. Memphis crowd will be electric, and that team will be hungry and ready to avenge the loss that was taken from their throats.

Four quarters. Anything less will be a loss.

mouse
04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
Umm, no. On ST, I'm pretty sure this is the only song on anyone's mind...

Come join me, dance with me
All you fellas chat along with me
sN62PAKoBfE

You want to dance already?

at least be safe when you do..............

7movKfyTBII

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/kingsfan/00-spurs.jpg

Beaverfuzz
04-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Time to box out, stand tall vs Z-Bo and Gasol, and hit some layups in the lane which opens up the three ball in the corner.

Spurs by 7.

mingus
04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
the psychological challenge is going to be the biggest challenge IMO. one of the things that made the Spurs championships teams so good was their ability to tune out the crowd of opposing teams. they were never shaken up. i think Neal is a guy that has the ability to do that. that's why i think he needs to be on the floor a lot tonight.

baseline bum
04-29-2011, 03:42 PM
It's going to take another effort like game 5's. I don't know if that'll translate to a win against a Memphis team that has taken some great punches from the Spurs and come back and hit harder, but I think we'll see another balls-out performance at least.

GrandeDavid
04-29-2011, 03:55 PM
If Tiago doesn't play more than Matt Bonner tonight, I am seriously going to want Holt to demand answers from Pop. Wishful thinking, I know, but still, it's infuriating how much better Tiago is than Matt Bonner unless Bonner's shooting 50%+ from 3.

I agree. Pop's smart mouth and surliness with the press will be a dead act if the Spurs lose tonight. Time for accountability by all personnel. Hey, when faced with adversity or something like free agency, its become cliche for NBAers to claim its "a business". Since its a business, time for accountability.

I'd give Matter Bonner two clanks then yank him permanently from the game. Seriously, two clanks and that's his quota. I'd try to get him to shoot one early to see how painfully off he appears. I absolutely get bummed when I see him light posting in the paint on defense.

1Parker1
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Maybe Neal's heroics will finally rub off on Bonner. :depressed

Spurs need to get stops. Period. Even if they get offense from our scrubs, guys like Vasquez and Conley and Strong seem to just score away at the other end. Spurs need to limit the scrubs on the Grizzlies.

I just don't understand what the f*ck is wrong with Richard Jefferson?! Pop spent the ENTIRE summer with him, Spurs resigned him to a longer deal----and he's just a ghost when he's on the floor. He's either playing terrible, terrible, terrible defense---against not even elite scorers, and he drives weakly to the basket and misses or he shoots 3's from the top of the arc and irons it. Honestly, he's such a huge weak link on the roster, it's borderline sickening.

HankChinaski
04-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Honestly this series has been all about the bench/role players. Memphis has been getting an exceptional boost from their bench that is playing above what would be expected from players on their team. If the spurs could get similar production from their bench this could be an entirely different series.

Spurs game plan has been effective in keeping the Grizzlies start squad from totally taking advantage of us and making them work at times. But when their bench rolls out on the court our own bench just doesn't match them out on the floor and it has killed us every time in the middle of the 2nd quarter and late in the 3rd quarter every game.

This series has been so frustrating to watch, yet this spur's team is capable of winning this series. I've just been watching and waiting for them to show up for a entire 48 minutes.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2011, 04:03 PM

Spurs need to get stops. Period. Even if they get offense from our scrubs, guys like Vasquez and Conley and Strong seem to just score away at the other end. Spurs need to limit the scrubs on the Grizzlies.

I just don't understand what the f*ck is wrong with Richard Jefferson?! Pop spent the ENTIRE summer with him, Spurs resigned him to a longer deal----and he's just a ghost when he's on the floor. He's either playing terrible, terrible, terrible defense---against not even elite scorers, and he drives weakly to the basket and misses or he shoots 3's from the top of the arc and irons it. Honestly, he's such a huge weak link on the roster, it's borderline sickening.

The #1 issue I have with the whole RJ fiasco is that people who defended his contract were saying that he was the only legit SF on the roster, and that he couldn't do any worse than his first season.

Well, I honestly think Danny Green >>> RJ, and I think we could have easily found a couple of hungry younger players for $38 Million.

The only thing I will say in fairness to RJ is that he is a run and gun, open court player, and the Spurs have slowed down way too much since January. It's no surprise RJ had his best stats at the beginning of the year when the Spurs were pushing the ball.

1Parker1
04-29-2011, 04:06 PM
The #1 issue I have with the whole RJ fiasco is that people who defended his contract were saying that he was the only legit SF on the roster, and that he couldn't do any worse than his first season.

Well, I honestly think Danny Green >>> RJ, and I think we could have easily found a couple of hungry younger players for $38 Million.

The only thing I will say in fairness to RJ is that he is a run and gun, open court player, and the Spurs have slowed down way too much since January. It's no surprise RJ had his best stats at the beginning of the year when the Spurs were pushing the ball.

His offense would just be a bonus. I'm more PO'ed about his atrocious defense. In Game 5 they showed in slow motion him fighting for a loose ball--it was the weakest "fight" for a loose ball I've seen in a while. He needs to show toughness, he can still rebound, and he can still play smart defense even if his shots aren't there.

Splits
04-29-2011, 04:09 PM

RJs been pretty bad defensively all series. But he shot very well the first two games. If we can have that RJ, and have one of those seven-players-in-double-figures nights, it shouldn't be close.

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 04:09 PM
What the Spurs need from RJ is free throw attempts. Pure and simple. Everything else follows that.

mingus
04-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Yeah I'm eating crow right now. I was wrong, plain and simple about RJ. Whole he has improved in areas I thought he would, it's nowhere near enough to justify that contract. It will weigh on the Spurs if they can't get someone to take his contract.

IronMexican
04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Believe.

Kuestmaster
04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
1.Believe
One game at a time, we can do this

Go Spurs Go!:flag:

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah I'm eating crow right now. I was wrong, plain and simple about RJ. Whole he has improved in areas I thought he would, it's nowhere near enough to justify that contract. It will weigh on the Spurs if they can't get someone to take his contract.

This year's worse than last year by far, because we've seen what he could be and how good the Spurs are when he plays that well. Imagine what the Spurs could have gotten for him in a trade of his expiring contract as well as he played through January.

Mugen
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Defensive Adjustment I'd like to see for tonight:

-Manu on Young & RJ on Allen to start the game. Young has blown by RJ all series long. He's killing us.
-Switch up Dice & Timmy on Gasol/Randolph. Ideally i'd like to see Dice to stay out of foul trouble early but also see Timmy on Z-Bo late.
-More Hill on Conley & Parker on Mayo. Obviously not for long stretches at a time bc I don't want TP getting exhausted. But TP seems to do a better job of running through screens and chasing guys like OJ around. I think Hill's length can bother Conley as well and at least contest those jumpers a little better.
-Contain Arthur. Arthur has lit up Bonner all year long. I would not be adverse to a Bonner/Battier and RJ/Arthur cross matchup to try and throw something different at Arthuer.

Basically, cross matchups are key tonight and I wanna see more of it.

duncan228
04-29-2011, 04:24 PM

One game, one quarter, one possession at a time. Always Believe.

timvp
04-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm most worried about Tim this game, actually. I think Manu and TP will attack the rim constantly tonight and hopefully get to the line a lot. But Tim has gotten worse offensively as the series has progressed. That blown layup last game can't be attributed to old age. He needs to step it up.

Speaking of TD and free throws, it's amazing to me that he's only gotten to the free throw line 14 times in the five games. Duncan used to get to the line that much in one good game. I know he's older and not as involved offensively ... but you'd think he'd be due for a game where he earns a bunch of free throws.

I noticed no mention of Blair, timvp. Do you think he's done for this series?

Yeah, I think Blair is done for the series. Splitter has earned the minutes behind Duncan and (unfortunately) Bonner is cemented as the backup power forward behind McDyess.

silverblackfan
04-29-2011, 04:39 PM
And btw.

Tiago is the best screener on the team. I think even better then TD esp. when TD does not paying much attention to set good pick - not waiting long enough.

If you want to play slip you play slip but when you want to set pick set a good one not something between.

Also spurs D inside was better. They were doubling more and interrupting memphis frontcourt.

Damn I wish mem be in a shooting slump

I like Taigo's screens, but I think Dice does the best job. Especially setting hard screens. All that experience with Hamilton and Prince in Detroit shows.

timvp
04-29-2011, 04:42 PM
When people come close to death they often turn their whole lives around with change. I hope with my heart of hearts they do. They become the spurs we saw earlier in the season.

Well said ... and I have the same hope.

The Spurs are called the silver and black sometimes because their official team colors are silver and black.

It was hilarious when Bonner talked about Neal's shot.

“It was amazing to me that he had the composure not to take the first one. To take the dribble and create the extra space and then knock it down was something to see."

:lol Bonner even talks like a guy who would be incapable of consistently delivering under pressure.

Mugen
04-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Speaking of TD and free throws, it's amazing to me that he's only gotten to the free throw line 14 times in the five games. Duncan used to get to the line that much in one good game. I know he's older and not as involved offensively ... but you'd think he'd be due for a game where he earns a bunch of free throws.

He keeps expecting the refs to give him that call when he shoots the fadeaway hook on Gasol. They haven't and he needs to adjust and take it strong on the faceup.

Similarly, Manu needs to stop flopping every time Young/Battier/Allen take him to the post. They're not going to give him that flop in this series and I pull my hair out everytime he does it and his man gets an uncontested layup.

spurs10
04-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Something clicked with Tony. If he plays like he did in OT, we've got a good shot. I think he's enjoying the game again. We haven't seen the team that kept winning all season long until OT the other night.....

SA210
04-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Go Spurs!

objective
04-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Splitter needs to play more, Bonner needs to play ZERO.

The whole "Splitter and Duncan can't play together" belief perpetrated by the media and others is a MYTH.

Everyone go back and re-watch that 3 minute stretch of q3 in game 4. Splitter wasn't a problem. Hell, his missed shot was a great look that came off a feed from Duncan as Splitter got into the right place at the right time, just like Oberto used to. He missed the shot, but it was a great look and play from Splitter. Earlier in that possession Jefferson passed on a three, but that's RJ being RJ.

What else happened? Nothing that was Splitter's fault. Yes, he took a good foul on Gasol. Yes, he tried to take a charge on an unimpeded perimeter player.

But everything else, nothing to do with Splitter. A Parker turnover on a pick-and-roll with Duncan? Splitter and his man weren't there. A double from Tony Allen on a Duncan post up that got the ball loose and had George Hill vomit all over himself and unable to retrieve? Not on Splitter. A Sam Young jumper that fell over RJ? Not on Splitter. A missed open three from Parker that came as a result of a PnR of Manu and Splitter? Not on Splitter

A three man big rotation of TD, McDyess, and Splitter would be best with spot minutes from Blair if necessary.

AND NO MORE JEFFERSON

Play Neal, play Green, activate Fat Anderson, whatever it takes, because RJ got PAID.

The more Bonner and Jefferson play the harder it is for the Spurs to win.

timvp
04-29-2011, 05:07 PM
RJs been pretty bad defensively all series. But he shot very well the first two games.

True.

The worst part about his defense is that it's just a lack of learning and understanding scouting reports. He's been falling for way too many pump fakes and he's been closing out too hard on non-shooters. On top of that, he's too soft to fight down low against the Grizzlies bigs.

During the regular season, RJ was best defensively when he had a specific job to do and didn't have to think things through. Against the Grizzlies, that's just not possible because his main job is to be a help defender. When his man gets the ball, he panics and almost always overplays the situation.

What the Spurs need from RJ is free throw attempts. Pure and simple. Everything else follows that.

In a perfect world, yes. Unfortunately, the Grizzlies all know there's about an 80% chance they can draw a charge if they just stand between him and the basket when RJ starts his drive.

The best chance at free throws is if they Spurs can get out and run a little bit. But that's easier said than done in this series.

Defensive Adjustment I'd like to see for tonight:

-Manu on Young & RJ on Allen to start the game. Young has blown by RJ all series long. He's killing us.
Fully disagree. Young abused Manu in the fourth quarter in Game 5, while Manu has been fantastic against Allen. When Manu and Allen are in the game, Manu can just play free safety and interfere in whatever Memphis is trying to do. The rare times Allen tries to do something on Manu, the outcome is almost always very good for the Spurs.

RJ just has to do a better job on Young. There's no way the Spurs can change the matchup since Manu roaming off of Allen is about the best thing the Spurs have going in this series.

-Contain Arthur. Arthur has lit up Bonner all year long. I would not be adverse to a Bonner/Battier and RJ/Arthur cross matchup to try and throw something different at Arthuer.

Pretty good idea. Arthur against Bonner is basically an automatic two points. Might as well switch it up to see if better results can be had. Maybe Bonner can stay with Battier on the perimeter ... plus Bonner could defend that Battier-in-the-post play.

igruex
04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
“It was amazing to me that he had the composure not to take the first one. To take the dribble and create the extra space and then knock it down was something to see."

:rollin

I don't know what else could Bonner do to not play more than 5 minutes per game... yet he's playing 20. It's beyond comprehension at this point.

mingus
04-29-2011, 05:15 PM
I would like to see RJ cut the the basket more w/o the ball. I think thats one way he can score.

I hope RJ developes a post game for next year. He's got a big enough body and he's more than tall enough to take other SFs not named Bron and Artest into the paint.

igruex
04-29-2011, 05:15 PM
AND NO MORE JEFFERSON
The more Bonner and Jefferson play the harder it is for the Spurs to win.

For a lot of reasons Bonner and Jefferson would be (theoretically) much useful against OKH. Pop's showing his worse side (again) and that's his inability to adapt the roster to certain teams.

DPG21920
04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Only a day has passed, the night has gone by
But still they find time to put that bump off in your eye
Total chaos for these playas thought we was absent
We takin another route to represent the Spurs family

mingus
04-29-2011, 05:19 PM
He's gotta find a way to be more effective in the halfcourt. His production value at his contract is laughable. He made strides last summer, hopefully he does the same. RJ likes the cock, not sure why he doesn't have a back-the-basket game in his arsenal.

objective
04-29-2011, 05:20 PM
For a lot of reasons Bonner and Jefferson would be (theoretically) much useful against OKH. Pop's showing his worse side (again) and that's his inability to adapt the roster to certain teams.

Bonner wouldn't of much use against any playoff team that's left that comes to mind.

Bonner against OKC would get slaughtered by Ibaka, pulverized by Perkins, and bullied by Collison. And on defense he could easily be covered by either ignoring him while he doesn't even get the ball or clanks a shot, or covering him by rotating Westbrook or Maynor or whoever out to him so that he passes up shooting.

fonzy16
04-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Neal with it!
Believe!

objective
04-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Matt Bonner on Gary Neal:

“It was amazing to me that he had the composure not to take the first one. To take the dribble and create the extra space and then knock it down was something to see. And he hasn't even swindled the Spurs out of $10 million per contract yet! What's this guy's problem?"

full quote has been added :depressed

DPG21920
04-29-2011, 05:29 PM
I met Neal and he hipped me to some clutch cutz
To activate and stimulate Spurs left and right nutz
Said baby boi you only funky as your last game
You focus on the past your ass will be hasbayne

Splits
full quote has been added :depressed

Bonner makes $3mil a year, not 10. He's the 7th highest payed player on the roster, making less than Splitter, Dice, RJ, and obviously the big 3. Everyone who makes less than him is either playing in their first contract or was picked up off waivers/d-league with the exception of Quinn.

Mugen
Fully disagree. Young abused Manu in the fourth quarter in Game 5, while Manu has been fantastic against Allen. When Manu and Allen are in the game, Manu can just play free safety and interfere in whatever Memphis is trying to do. The rare times Allen tries to do something on Manu, the outcome is almost always very good for the Spurs.

RJ just has to do a better job on Young. There's no way the Spurs can change the matchup since Manu roaming off of Allen is about the best thing the Spurs have going in this series.

I hear what you're saying but RJ has just been getting abused by Young. I think it'll be easier for RJ to stay on Allen and not over commit on Allen's pumpfakes and I lack the confidence in RJ's ability to adjust defensively to Young.

Manu was getting abused mostly to the flopping I mentioned earlier but if the Grizz want to make Young the focal point of their offense and try to attack Manu, that's fine with me. Less touches for Z-Bo/Gasol and less Conley open jumpers.

timvp
04-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Splitter needs to play more, Bonner needs to play ZERO.I'd have no problem with that.

The whole "Splitter and Duncan can't play together" belief perpetrated by the media and others is a MYTH.The issue is that there isn't enough sample size to determine whether it's a myth or a fact. I believe it's a myth but no one can say with certainty one way or the other. And that's absolutely Pop's fault. The Spurs had 82 games to figure it out and Pop played those two together for a handful of minutes. Great planning ....

Everyone go back and re-watch that 3 minute stretch of q3 in game 4. Splitter wasn't a problem. ... Nothing that was Splitter's fault. Yes, he took a good foul on Gasol. Yes, he tried to take a charge on an unimpeded perimeter player.

First of all, that wasn't a good foul on Gasol. Gasol spun, had an open layup and Splitter nudged him with two hands as he shot it. Nine times out of ten that's a three-point play. Splitter should have either gone for the block, tried harder to stay in front of him or fouled him hard. A soft foul was the worst possible outcome.

That attempt to draw the charge wasn't very close. He's not going to get that call by sliding over as the penetrator goes straight to the rim ... especially as a rookie. Splitter also misplayed a pick-and-roll and that forced Ginobili to try to come in and swipe at the ball. So that was three fouls Splitter played a role in less than three minutes. Add a dumb foul by RJ and TD and the Grizzlies lived at the line and put the Spurs away.

Oh and offensively, look at the tape again and see Splitter standing right under the rim when TP and TD tried to run pick-and-roll plays. With Splitter under the rim, TD had nowhere to roll so when TP left his feet, he had no one to pass it to. Overall, the spacing was horrible in those first three minutes. But again, that's to be expected. I can't blame Splitter for that. He had never played next to Duncan for a meaningful minute.

Plus, like I said in the opening post, Splitter already made adjustments in Game 5. He knew where to be when he wasn't directly involved in a pick-and-roll. His pick-and-roll chemistry with Manu was even better. And perhaps most importantly, he is passing the is-he-made-for-playoff-basketball test with flying colors. He gives me a lot of hope going forward.

Speaking of Splitter, I like this stat:

2011 Playoff PER Leaders
1 LeBron James, MIA 29.89
2 Chris Paul, NO 29.62
3 Kevin Durant, OKC29.54
4 Dwyane Wade, MIA 27.63
5 Dwight Howard, ORL 26.76
6 Dirk Nowitzki, DAL 25.69
7 Derrick Rose, CHI 25.56
8 Tiago Splitter, SA 24.67

:smokin

A three man big rotation of TD, McDyess, and Splitter would be best with spot minutes from Blair if necessary. ... The more Bonner and Jefferson play the harder it is for the Spurs to win.I'm afraid you're right.

Fabbs
04-29-2011, 05:36 PM

[/B]
Overcoming Coach Moron Dictator is going to be a huge challenge but i too believe it's possible.

jag
04-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Overcoming Coach Moron Dictator is going to be a huge challenge but i too believe it's possible.

You suck so bad that i remember when i used to think there was no way you were an actual poster. I thought for sure you were trolling people.

Fabbs
04-29-2011, 05:48 PM
You suck so bad that i remember when i used to think there was no way you were an actual poster. I thought for sure you were trolling people.
Enjoy yourself at the next PollyAnna Poppers Club meeting!

The rest of us are hoping for the Spurs legit players to pull it out vs Memphis.

JR3
04-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Go spurs go!!!

benefactor
04-29-2011, 06:38 PM
This is what I expect tonight....

55BZ2gSsSmY

Cant_Be_Faded
04-29-2011, 07:50 PM

mother
fucking

Believe I SAIDDDDD

mattyc
04-29-2011, 07:56 PM
Great write-up timvp.

All issues aside (and we have plenty of them), I genuinely think we can win this series.

Do it, Spurs.

Reck
04-29-2011, 08:36 PM
These topics really were the ultimate jinx thread. lol