PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate Tim Duncan while you can

duncan228
04-29-2011, 02:58 PM
For a bit of SpursTalk's appreciation of Duncan:

The Tim Duncan Mini-Forum.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/group.php?groupid=7

Appreciate Tim Duncan while you can (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6449896)
By LZ Granderson
ESPN.com

I used to believe coach Gregg Popovich was just monitoring Tim Duncan's minutes to keep him fresh for the playoffs. For a while I believed Duncan did less so that Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker could shine more. Everyone could see Shaquille O'Neal falling to pieces, but Duncan's decline was always masked by his steady presence and the wins. I used to be blind, but thanks to the Memphis Grizzlies, now I see.

Tim Duncan is old…er.

I'm hedging just a bit out of respect, which Duncan has never had a problem getting.

It's the love that's been on back order.

He is arguably the greatest power forward to ever play, and yet when he was in the NBA Finals, we didn't bother to watch (two of the all-time lows for Finals TV ratings featured him).

He's been an All-Star starter but never the top vote getter.

In 2003, Duncan was not only an All-Star, but repeated as league MVP, and was MVP of the Finals while leading the San Antonio Spurs to their second NBA championship (he was also instrumental in the franchise's first in 1999) and yet his jersey sales didn't crack the top 10. Although he was by far the best player in the league that season, fans bought more gear bearing the names of Jalen Rose and Lamar Odom, two players who have never even been named All-Stars.

See what I mean? Respect. But no love.

Regardless of what happens in this series with Memphis, it is clear the window's closing for these Spurs. If my hunch is right, when Duncan's contract expires in summer 2012, he will not re-sign. He will retire.

And if this is indeed the case, I hope the fans -- so obsessed with crossover dribbles and dunks -- give an overdue standing ovation to a player whose signature moves are winning and avoiding the curtain call.

Why would he retire?

In short, dude is tired.

Keep reading... (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6449896)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6449896

weebo
04-29-2011, 03:19 PM
As I said before, because of age, health, pending lockout and the likelihood this team won't contend for the future the last game we see these spurs play this season might be the last time we see TIM play.

mouse
04-29-2011, 03:30 PM
A real Spurs would never stop Appreciating him in the first place.

He will always be part of San Antonio and a Saint who will be worshiped for decades to come.

I say let Tim be............. he already delivered us from Evil!

"4" Times!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/RTM-41/duncan-3.jpg

Strike
04-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Being reminded of how close we are to the end of the Duncan era , I remind myself of everything Tim has done for the Spurs and, Most likely, the city of San Antonio. It's not set in stone but I think Timmy could be the last player we ever see end a hall of fame career wearing the same jersey from start to finish.

Thank you, Tim for what you've meant to the Spurs organization, the NBA, and me as a fan.

And thank you 1000 times for :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

Kuestmaster
04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Real spurs fan will always be grateful for Tim Duncan.
Hell, even a basketball fan should be grateful and thankfull to have seen play the best power forward of all time.

Timmy you'll always be our number 1. Thanks for all big man

z0sa
04-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Tim Duncan will be vastly underrated by many in the future because he was largely ignored by the media. He didn't pound his chest enough or demand the ball at the expense of his team, so get ready for it.

Lebowski Brickowski
04-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Too little, too late. Fuck the NBA media. Fuck the NBA. Go Spurs Go.

Frenzy
04-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Argh...I hate when rooms get dusty. Makes my eyes water.

Duncan...you are the man. Face of the spurs...I can't even imagine the spurs with out him anymore. It can't be said enough....he will be sorely missed.

Bill_Brasky
04-29-2011, 04:06 PM
As I said before, because of age, health, pending lockout and the likelihood this team won't contend for the future the last game we see these spurs play this season might be the last time we see TIM play.

I'm very unprepared for that. Now that's all I'm gonna be able to think about during the game tonight.

Budkin
04-29-2011, 05:17 PM
Damn this article is making me tear up. Please let us win tonight and keep the title run going. If not I really hope there is no lockout and he plays one more season.

ChuckD
04-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Tim Duncan will be vastly underrated by many in the future because he was largely ignored by the media. He didn't pound his chest enough or demand the ball at the expense of his team, so get ready for it.

Actually, you're off by 180 degrees. Time tends to burn off the hype and bullshit. The cream rises to the top over the years.

Mal
04-29-2011, 07:04 PM
He lost weight, that`s why he cant play post up with Gasol anymore.... So sad, but neccesary

scottspurs
04-29-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't even want to think about the spurs without Duncan. Just keep winning one game at a time.

Hoops Czar
04-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Tim Duncan isn't going to leave the Spurs in peril. He's going to give a heads up before he walks out the door. My guess is when Gino's contract ends, Duncan will retire.

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-29-2011, 07:30 PM
"As a result, we've become indifferent to a man who really should have been the face of the league: never in trouble, philanthropist and humanitarian off the court, the game's biggest winner on it. But because we've become a culture conditioned to reality TV and manufactured celebrity -- paying attention only to big personalities or vacuous people who are famous for making a spectacle of themselves -- we don't fully appreciate the beauty of someone who focuses his public persona on being an elite athlete, a person like Duncan."

Says it beautifully - as well as ever could be put.

BlackSwordsMan
04-29-2011, 07:32 PM
No more NFL and no more tim duncan. =[

mattyc
04-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Tim Duncan is a dude.