PDA

View Full Version : The 3rd Quarter

InTheCrust
04-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Over the course of the last few games, our third quarter play was especially horrendous, and was the reason for our Game 4 loss.

I've been watching this game for a long time, and as much as the fourth is winning time, you can lose games just as much in third.

Let's take a path into history once celebrated, but now dreaded...

In the 2007 NBA Playoffs, the Dallas Mavericks survived a tight game 5 and went over to force a game 6 in Oakland. You and I both remember how it ended, but how did it get there?

The Mavs went into halftime trailing by just two in front of an electric Oakland crowd, smelling it's first series win in nearly 16 years. Then it all went south for Dallas. Golden State jumped on the Mavs, and sparked an 18-0 run in the third beginning with a Stephen Jackson 3. They never looked back, and won the game 111-86, clinching the series 4-2.

Similarly, the Spurs got jumped by the Grizzlies coming out of the half in Game 4. Memphis seized the lead with a 14-0 run, and eventually stretched that lead to 20+, eventually winning 104-86.

So... what does this all mean?

Essentially, don't get passive or nervous. The Mavs bricked a ton of shots during that stretch, quickly trying to silence the crowd and respond to every GS bucket. The Spurs were throwing the ball everywhere, resulting in the worst display of "San Antonio Basketball" I had ever seen in my life. I've seen the Toronto Raptors play with better execution.

So if I'm gonna believe, it'll be the third quarter where the Spurs will MAKE me believe.

But until then....

nTL48q6Jv1I

Baseline
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
If popovich is such a great coach, we shouldn't be getting slaughtered in 3rd quarters.

Deduction #1: Popovich is not such a great coach.

Deduction #2: Tim Duncan has been an all-time great player.

Deduction #3: If it weren't for Tim Duncan, Popovich would be the guy marching barefoot in a barrel of grapes somewhere in Napa Valley.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
3rd quarters almost of any playoff game used to be money time for the spurs - at least until about 3 years ago.

4>0rings
04-29-2011, 09:11 PM
http://vampiresdonteat.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/scared-cat.jpg

ajballer4
04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Gonna come down to it again

Bambililos
04-29-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm going to have nightmares of 3rd QTs all summer long.

GrandeDavid
04-29-2011, 09:23 PM
7 assists to 8 turnovers. Atrocious and if this is a game trend, we are in big trouble in the third quarter.