PDA

View Full Version : Guamanians Think Pistons Will Repeat

Guru of Nothing
06-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Et tu Chamorro? (http://www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050608/SPORTS/506080346/1006)

Many sportswriters on ESPN are picking the San Antonio Spurs to win their third NBA title in seven years. Most people on Guam polled for this article, however, don't agree.

"Come on, we got to give some respect to the Detroit Pistons," said James Parker, a 27-year-old Army officer who believes the Pistons will defeat the Spurs in the 2005 NBA Finals. "I mean, they went down the wire with the Miami Heat, and ... they won Game 7 in

Miami. ... The Pistons play stellar defense. That's why they're the defending champions. That's why they're headed back to the NBA Finals."

Scott Terlaje, 20 of Yona, said the Pistons may be known for their defense, but they will be able to run with the Spurs offensively. Detroit's wins over Indiana and Miami are other reasons to believe the Pistons will win the NBA Finals, he added.

"People are already placing their bets on the Spurs, but I'll feel sorry for those people in the end," he said. "The Pistons can score, and they proved that in the fourth quarter (of Game 7) against Miami. They are able to penetrate on offense and force turnovers on defense. This team is for real. They beat the (Los Angeles) Lakers last year, and now they'll beat the Spurs."

Randy Blas, 37 of Mangilao, said the Pistons may not be the |favorites, but that doesn't mean anything. Being a big Chicago Bulls fan, he sees a lot of similarities with the Bulls championship teams with this year's Detroit squad.

"Back in 1993 when the Bulls played the Phoenix Suns, everybody at my work thought the Suns would win the title because of Sir Charles (Barkley) and Kevin Johnson," Blas said. "I even remembered some commentators on ESPN were picking the Suns to beat the Bulls. But look at what happened? Chicago won. I feel this year's Detroit team is like that 1993 Bulls team. Detroit is the defending champion but they're not getting the needed respect. It's OK. They'll just play the game and show the world what they're made up of."

Spurs fans remain confident about their team's chances.

"Tim Duncan is probably the best player playing in the 2005 NBA Finals," said Pat Quenga, 35 of Dededo. "And whenever you have the best player playing for your team, you have the edge. I'm taking San Antonio only because I'm a West Coast fan and mostly all my favorite teams are from the West Coast. I feel ... it's going to be a good championship battle."

John Lujan, head coach of the Barrigada Spurs youth basketball team, is sticking with his Spurs.

"I've been a Spurs fan for a long time now," Lujan said. "Hey, I even named my team the Spurs. I think San Antonio has the edge in this series. ... Everyone on the team is playing good now."

"San Antonio is a quality team," said Cynthia Perez, 23 of Tamuning. "They are a talented team and they play excellent team basketball. I just cannot stand the Pistons. They seem so ugly when they play. They are rough, mean and like to cause trouble. I cannot see them winning the title."

Detroit fans like that aspect of their team.

"They are just an awesome defensive-minded basketball team." said Troy Hudson, 23 of Yigo. "They play basketball like they own the court. They are not afraid of anyone. Teams with a winning attitude normally succeed."

"Go Pistons!," said Fred Reyes, 42 of Agat. "They are going to rip apart the Spurs. Their head coach Larry Brown is going to have an excellent farewell party. It's going to be a sweet victory party. I can almost guarantee anyone if they do win the title, expect Rasheed Wallace to be the MVP of the finals. Go Pistons!"

Originally published June 8, 2005

MannyIsGod
06-08-2005, 10:27 AM
:lol I guess they don't get leauge pass in Guam.