PDA

View Full Version : is this the single biggest upset/choke in nba playoffs history?

ecksrobecks
04-29-2011, 10:36 PM
#1 seed with the best record losing a best of 7 series to a #8 seed playing without their best player(rudy gay), who had never even won a single playoff game in franchise history? :wow

Amuseddaysleeper
04-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I think Golden State/Dallas was worse since these grizz are a much different team than those that came before.

GS had 25 wins less than Dallas, and Dallas was a unanimous choice to win the trophy. No one was picking the Spurs to win it all going into these playoffs.

It's obviously an upset, but not the biggest "choke" of all time.

rasho8
04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
yeah Dallas still wins that, 67 win season with their players in their prime, not at the end of their run.

InTheCrust
04-29-2011, 10:41 PM
far from it. it will always be seen as a 8 beating a 1, but everyone knows the grounds on which it occurred. not your regular eight seed, not your regular one seed either. dallas-gs will always be the bigger choke.

arial
04-29-2011, 10:42 PM
07 Mavs take that cake :)

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Not the biggest upset, because the Grizz tanked to get the Spurs, but the biggest choke? Yeah. Pop thought he could just give the Grizzlies game one at home by benching his best player. Pop thought he could just trot Matt Bonner and Antonio McDyess out there to get raped over and over and over and admitted what a mistake it was, once again, by playing the guy he should have been playing all year long, once again. The Spurs had no ability to adjust, couldn't stop anyone when it counted, couldn't make simple inbounds plays or get a good look at a basket coming off timeouts.

Hubris in the face of reality is a stinky cologne. I hope the Spurs enjoy the smell of it through the offseason.

NASpurs
04-29-2011, 10:45 PM
With the way the Spurs finished the season they shouldn't even have been a number one seed. With the way the Grizz finished the season, they should have been higher than an eight seed. Just the way things worked out for the worse though.

Crazymaddopeyo
04-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, wasn't Dallas the team everyone was picking to win it all? Nobody thought these spurs could get past the Lakers if they made it that far.

Horse
04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Are you fucking high? One more time if Manu does'nt get hurt against phoenix, tonight would probly have been game one for us against the thunder. Your best player does'nt play game 1 and is not himself most of the series you have a good chance of losing. Sadly we still should've could've won with a little more focus and giving a shit just a little more.

TE
04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
The Mavs series was more of a choke.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-29-2011, 11:08 PM
dallas series was the purest choke ever... dallas in its prime, super winning season and no one absolutely thought dallas would lose

for this series most people actually thought the spurs may lose

balldontlie
04-29-2011, 11:09 PM
yep biggest choke ever

Budkin
We had injured players and literally limped into the post season... so no.

703 Spurz
#1 seed with the best record losing a best of 7 series to a #8 seed, who had never even won a single playoff game in franchise history? :wow

Get laid dude. Please. You're embarrassing yourself.

chasky
04-29-2011, 11:10 PM
No, the grizzlies are just better.

Russ
04-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Unfortunately, this was not a choke. If only . . .

Borosai
04-29-2011, 11:12 PM
No.

balldontlie
without their best player :lmao

DubMcDub
Why does it matter? This one and the Mavs' in 2007 were both embarrassing. Who cares?

Disturbed
04-29-2011, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't say so.

Dallas was completely embarrassed and blown out multiple times. Spurs got blown out once and loss 3 close games. Loss game 1 by a big 3 by Battier without Manu.

It is what it is sometimes it doesn't bounce your way. Could have easily gone the other way Mavs got destroyed.

mexicanjunior
04-29-2011, 11:13 PM
Mavs were worse, they had no injury going into their series...this is the 2nd biggest upset/choke in NBA history though...

HarlemHeat37
04-29-2011, 11:19 PM
No, it was a massive choke job, but not even close to the top IMO..

- Spurs didn't play like a #1 seed for the entire 2nd half of the season, their flaws were glaring..

- Memphis was the 8th seed by choice..if they played it out, they would have been at least the 6th seed..they found a favorable match up, they took it..

ecksrobecks
04-29-2011, 11:24 PM
without their best player :lmao

forgot about that.... thanks. edited

siraulo23
04-29-2011, 11:27 PM
worst number 1 seed: Maybe
biggest choke: No

Obstructed_View
04-29-2011, 11:34 PM
The fact remains that it is, by far, one of the two worst playoff chokes in NBA history. I'm not sure what comfort we should be taking trying to avoid that truth.

rmt
04-29-2011, 11:39 PM
Too much is being made of Spurs' #1 seed.

Since January 1:

Spurs' record: 34-19
MEM's record: 35-20

They've played virtually even beginning this year. Spurs just had a very hot start while MEM took a while to get it together with all the new players added to their roster. Everyone (even the Spurs themselves) didn't expect their record so it's not any major upset and it's a bad matchup for the Spurs - Mem's strength (interior) is Spurs' weakness.

leemajors
04-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Why does it matter? This one and the Mavs' in 2007 were both embarrassing. Who cares?

:tu no justifying anything.

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Mavs in 2007 was an even bigger fail. Dallas was 67-15 and lost in five games. Spurs, 61-21 and lost in six.

Harry Callahan
04-29-2011, 11:55 PM
San Antonio lost this series in the last regular season game of the year when Manu got hurt.

He probably needed a month to get better. He was out playing in a week.

Duncan was flat worn out.

The Mavies were healthy and not ready to play.

The Spurs tried to get it done, but did not have the playmakers to do it.

ecksrobecks
04-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Mavs in 2007 was an even bigger fail. Dallas was 67-15 and lost in five games. Spurs, 61-21 and lost in six.

the mavs also lost in six.

picc84
04-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Are you fucking high? One more time if Manu does'nt get hurt against phoenix, tonight would probly have been game one for us against the thunder. Your best player does'nt play game 1 and is not himself most of the series you have a good chance of losing. Sadly we still should've could've won with a little more focus and giving a shit just a little more.

Memphis was the better team. They were better in 5 out of 6 games, and yes i'm counting the game 5 SA fluke win. I don't see how this is debatable. Just Neal with it.

SpurOutofTownFan
04-30-2011, 12:09 AM

Mavs was embarrasing - this one we kinda saw it coming...

balldontlie
04-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Mavs was embarrasing - this one we kinda saw it coming...

yeah, no one saw the only team the 05-06 mavs hadn't beaten all year upsetting them :rolleyes

TD 21
04-30-2011, 06:00 PM
No, it's not. You can't on the one hand say (as so many did) that this team was flawed, wasn't a true contender and had an inflated record, then on the other say this was the single biggest upset/choke in NBA playoff history. You can't have it both ways. If they were the former, then this can't be the latter.

I still put the '07 Mavs first, for three reasons. 1) Their entire core was in their prime. 2) They won 67 games (even if they did overachieve, which they did, that is still rarefied air.) 3) That Warriors team, for all their talent and athleticism, was truly flawed. This Grizzlies team is built for playoff basketball. The Mavs aren't chokers on the basis of that one series, they're chokers because of their series of chokes.

You can point out the Grizzlies missing one of their two best players, but he's been gone for months. They learned to play without him (in some ways, it made them better), as evidenced by this stat: Since January 1st, their was a one game difference in the standings between the Spurs and the Grizzlies. The seeds may have said 1-8, but by the time the playoffs arrived, this might as well have been a 3-6 or 4-5 match-up.

That doesn't absolve the Spurs of blame. They still should have won this series and deserve their share of criticism. Just don't make it more than it is, when this team wasn't considered much all season by many.

clambake
04-30-2011, 06:03 PM
well, one team had only one star.

the other team had three.

TE
04-30-2011, 06:22 PM
well, one team had only one star.

the other team had three.

Stars didn't come to perform.

clambake
04-30-2011, 06:25 PM
i gotta say, richard jefferson has to be a bigger disappointment than the loss.

04-30-2011, 06:28 PM
1. grizzlies are not an eight seed, they tanked the last few games so they would have probably been a 5-6th seed had they not tanked.
2. there were analysts who predicted the spurs to miss the playoffs this year.
3. in contrast, the 2007 mavs were fresh off a finals appearance and the unanimous choice to win the west that year.
4. 2007 mavs had the season MVP dirk
5. 4>0 rings

rascal
04-30-2011, 06:31 PM

It's about time to accept the Spurs were just not that good.
Not a championship roster.
Their roster had major flaws on the frontline and Memphis exposed them.

Rudy Gay missed the entire series, manu missed one game and looked fine the rest. Give up on that excuse.

clambake
04-30-2011, 06:32 PM
you bet. get a good nights rest.

clambake
04-30-2011, 06:33 PM
wasn't talking to you, rascal.

good post

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
The Mavericks didn't take the Warriors seriously and rested their best player for a late regular season game that helped GS make the playoffs.

The Spurs didn't take the Grizzlies seriously and rested their best player for game one of the playoffs, which they lost on a late three pointer and cost them the series.

Bigger choke award goes to the Spurs.

Agloco
04-30-2011, 07:06 PM
IMO this is third behind Dallas/GS and Seattle/Denver.

Both Dallas and Seattle were favored to win it all. Spurs weren't even favored to win their own division.

Memphis wasn't a real 8 seed, and the Spurs weren't a real 1 seed.

Edit: Best of seven....disregard the Seattle/Denver series.

cheguevara
02-21-2012, 03:11 PM
bump

:lol z0sa

z0sa
02-21-2012, 03:13 PM
:lol still not knowing what historic means

:lol thinking I thought it had happened 20 or 100 times because you can't infer anything

:lol not arguing any of my points

:lol bumping threads because I'm in your head

:lol acting like a 2page thread from a year ago = all of ST agrees with your dumb ass

cheguevara
02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
historic [hɪˈstɒrɪk]
adj
1. famous or likely to become famous in history; significant

:lol it's not even a historic failure

:downspin:

z0sa
02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
:lol lying constantly and twisting/cutting my sentences in half

you are seriously fucking stupid.

Nathan Explosion
02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Looking back, the guy said Gay was their best player. Soo.....how's Memphis doing with Gay and without Randolph?

cheguevara
02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Looking back, the guy said Gay was their best player. Soo.....how's Memphis doing with Gay and without Randolph?

they're #7 seed

acoelho1
02-21-2012, 04:17 PM
I think Zbo is their best player for one and there are not too many teams in the league that can handle the Grizz's physicality. Second, Manu didn't play in the first game which put us at a disadvantage. Third, despite being an 8th seed, they took OKC to 7 games. Clearly, they are a solid team. Fourth, Pop's stubborness to play the turd towers against their bigs was a bad strategy especially with Splitter on the bench. Lastly, the Spurs didn't choke but it was definitely an upset being an 8 beating a 1. It's not even in my top 25 upsets given the talent on the Grizz's squad.

Nathan Explosion
02-21-2012, 04:31 PM
they're #7 seed

I hadn't checked the standings in about 2 weeks, but last time I checked they were the 9th seed. And don't forget, last year, after the All Star break, Memphis' record was just as good as the Spurs.

They're not as dangerous as they were last year. I've seen the Spurs play them fairly well and win pretty easily (for an NBA game of course) for 3 games this season. The first matchup was at full strength, but it really doesn't hold water now.

Memphis isn't the same without Randolph. Gay may be the more talented player, but Randolph is the more important player (kind of like Kobe & Gasol the last 3 years). Memphis can do some damage without Gay, but they're not winning much in the postseason without Randolph.

TDMVPDPOY
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
93/94 season nuggets upset the sonics...lmao nuggets had jackshit besides mutombo

jjktkk
02-21-2012, 05:53 PM
93/94 season nuggets upset the sonics...lmao nuggets had jackshit besides mutombo

therealtruth
02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
I think Zbo is their best player for one and there are not too many teams in the league that can handle the Grizz's physicality. Second, Manu didn't play in the first game which put us at a disadvantage. Third, despite being an 8th seed, they took OKC to 7 games. Clearly, they are a solid team. Fourth, Pop's stubborness to play the turd towers against their bigs was a bad strategy especially with Splitter on the bench. Lastly, the Spurs didn't choke but it was definitely an upset being an 8 beating a 1. It's not even in my top 25 upsets given the talent on the Grizz's squad.

They took OKC to 7 games but if you watched the series you realized OKC was definitely the better team. Hollins had to insert OJ Mayo in the starting lineup to try to give them a chance. Which is why they missed Gay. The Thunder blew out game 5 and game 7. The Spurs don't even last to game 6 if they don't get lucky on Manu and Neal's shots. How many blowouts did the Spurs get? TD said it best: the Spurs were playing like the 8th seed and the Grizzlies the 1st seed.

DMC
02-21-2012, 07:07 PM
geez you guys are a gullible crowd.

SpurNation
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
This is hysterically funny coming from a fan of a team that was suppose to beat a no name team in the finals. Who by the way had ALL their primary players at full health in that series unlike the Spurs had last year against the Grizz.

dbestpro
02-21-2012, 07:21 PM
#1 seed with the best record losing a best of 7 series to a #8 seed playing without their best player(rudy gay), who had never even won a single playoff game in franchise history? :wow

The most obvious result in nba playoff history was when the Spurs played the Nets in the finals.

Proxy
02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
geez you guys are a gullible crowd.
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/200/420/BRTky.jpg?1321408042

acoelho1
02-21-2012, 08:09 PM
They took OKC to 7 games but if you watched the series you realized OKC was definitely the better team. Hollins had to insert OJ Mayo in the starting lineup to try to give them a chance. Which is why they missed Gay. The Thunder blew out game 5 and game 7. The Spurs don't even last to game 6 if they don't get lucky on Manu and Neal's shots. How many blowouts did the Spurs get? TD said it best: the Spurs were playing like the 8th seed and the Grizzlies the 1st seed.

Not sure what games you were watching but it was a tough series for OKC. One of their victories went to triple overtime. Also, I thought they were an 8th seed so why are they even taking OKC to 7 games without their "best" player.

Horse
02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Is this shit even serious? Manu had a broken arm and gay had been out most of the season they knew he would not be playing. And they certainly play better as a team without him. This shit is stupid I guess when detroit beat the lakers without magic and byron scott that was a hugh upset too.

GrandeDavid
02-22-2012, 01:35 PM

Ginobili was injured. No comparison. San Antonio not even same team without him last playoffs. Plus San Antonio overachieved in regular season so they were by no means a powerhouse #1 seed. And Gay is not an impact player. He fills stat sheets, nothing more.