PDA

View Full Version : Duncan looked disinterested

Chris
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
We needed him more than ever this game and he looked like he didn't care at all. Lazy on the glass and he let himself get pushed around on box outs. Props to Ginobili, Dice, and Memphis for playing like warriors.

SenorSpur
04-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Duncan has always been a cerebral player - and obviously a great one. However, I just can't understand why he lacked passion in this series. He seemed to take it personal, from the beginning, that the Grizz tanked in order to get this matchup. Yet, he allowed himself to be bullied by the Grizz frontline, he allowed opposing bigs to take the ball away from him, and of course, he failed over and over to box out.

I know he's not the player that he once was, but he's still a very skilled and very effective player. He allowed himself to get outplayed, from a physical standpoint, in practically every game this series.

Chris
04-29-2011, 10:56 PM
Duncan has always been a cerebral player - and obviously a great one. However, I just can't understand why he lacked passion in this series. He seemed to take it personal, from the beginning, that the Grizz tanked in order to get this matchup. Yet, he allowed himself to be bullied by the Grizz frontline, he allowed opposing bigs to take the ball away from him, and of course, he failed over and over to box out.

I know he's not the player that he once was, but he's still a very skilled and very effective player. He allowed himself to get outplayed, from a physical standpoint, in practically every game this series.

Excellent post, I'm glad someone else noticed .

rr2418
04-29-2011, 10:57 PM
TD probably can't believe he can't do the things he once did on the court. Tim was never a physical player and it showed more as he got older.

TDMVPDPOY
04-29-2011, 10:57 PM
no he was pissing playing alongside this pathetic roster and under a dictator who has loss his mojo

Brutalis
04-29-2011, 10:58 PM
I hate to say it, but Duncan was a liability in this series.

Cane
04-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Tbh I think his ankle is more banged up than we think.

Duncan hurt his ankle towards the end of the season, the Spurs nosedived, and then he tweaks it again in the playoffs. Add that on top of his declining game and having to also make up for Bonner/Blair...thats one hell of a burden.

He was dunking like crazy in the first couple of games before he hurt his ankle as well.....

Spurtacus
04-29-2011, 11:00 PM
He definitely wasn't his old self out there. There were signs of it throughout the series; mostly in the first half of games. I don't know if the ankle was still bothering him still or what. Very disappointing but I won't let his poor play taint what a great career he's had.

703 Spurz
04-29-2011, 11:02 PM
We needed him more than ever this game and he looked like he didn't care at all. Lazy on the glass and he let himself get pushed around on box outs. Props to Ginobili, Dice, and Memphis for playing like warriors.

The same look your girlfriend has nightly?

Chris
04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Tbh I think his ankle is more banged up than we think.

Duncan hurt his ankle towards the end of the season, the Spurs nosedived, and then he tweaks it again in the playoffs. Add that on top of his declining game and having to also make up for Bonner/Blair...thats one hell of a burden.

He was dunking like crazy in the first couple of games and set a great tone on his few attempts before he hurt his ankle as well.....

If that's the case then perhaps I'm being to critical, but it's also his responsibility to notify Pop and his teammates lest he become a liability. It might have been his pride that cost us this series.

stealthjbravo
04-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Well I think that Tim's heart and passion retired several years ago. Hopefully the rest of him will follow.

Cane
If that's the case then perhaps I'm being to critical, but it's also his responsibility to notify Pop and his teammates lest he become a liability. It might have been his pride that cost us this series.

I also have to wonder how Dice's injury affected Duncan and the Spurs as well in addition to Manu's and Duncan's injury at the end of the playoffs.

But imo after Duncan tweaked his ankle again in the playoffs he wasn't the same but the Spurs we've seen all season also were out of sync throughout the series anyway. He was dunking like crazy and setting the tone before then since he knew the Grizz tanked for 'em.

TDfan2007
I think his ankle was really bothering him. In games one and two he looked spry and energized, but after he fell down and turned that ankle in game 3 he began to play like ass on the offensive end. He definitely had his worst rebounding game of the series tonight.

Just a bad series from him. It's obvious that he's no longer elite and that the Spurs weren't "saving" him for the playoffs...they were hiding him.

KenziE
04-29-2011, 11:09 PM
pretty sad that he let himself be outplayed just like that ..weak ass left handed layup in the fourth as well he shud have dunked that pretty frustrating to watch ... i got mad respect for dice even when hurt and all hes out there mixing it up even tho hes old and washed up tremendous fighting spirit its just sad he wont win a ring ...

what are your thoughts duncan228? would like here from you ma'am

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-29-2011, 11:12 PM
yeah i mean he gets above the rim to lay up the fucking ball you might as well dunk the shit

Chris
04-29-2011, 11:13 PM
I also have to wonder how Dice's injury affected Duncan and the Spurs as well in addition to Manu's and Duncan's injury at the end of the playoffs.

But imo after Duncan tweaked his ankle again in the playoffs he wasn't the same but the Spurs we've seen all season also were out of sync throughout the series anyway. He was dunking like crazy and setting the tone before then since he knew the Grizz tanked for 'em.

Everybody was banged up, but according to Tony Allen they were faking.:lol
I guess what pisses me off the most about this series is the fact they tanked to get us, and proceeded to punk us in the media and on the court.

stealthjbravo
04-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Dice is the only one that really showed any heart in the series. Everyone else seemed bored.

MannyIsGod
04-29-2011, 11:20 PM
He didn't look anything other than old. Father Time catches up to EVERYONE. Tim wanted it, but wanting it isn't enough if your body isn't the same anymore.

Russ
04-29-2011, 11:22 PM
I remember first seeing Duncan his rookie year. He looked disinterested.

I thought he would leave. He almost did.

He's not disinterested.

Chris
04-29-2011, 11:23 PM
He didn't look anything other than old. Father Time catches up to EVERYONE. Tim wanted it, but wanting it isn't enough if your body isn't the same anymore.

Sadly this might be the case. If he'd be willing to accept a role player role next season, and we acquire a legitimate center or power forward, then there's still hope. With this roster though, and another year on his resume, we don't stand much of a chance in 2012.

SenorSpur
04-29-2011, 11:24 PM
Being old and not being able to move is one thing, but allowing another big the rip the ball out of your hands, as Duncan allowed Gasol to do in Game 4, is another. I can accept how he looked against against the Suns - having guys simply run around him, like he's standing still. However, I can't accept allowing yourself to get punked, while standing flatfooted under the basket, failing to box out, and missing point-blank bunnies.

duncan228
04-29-2011, 11:25 PM
what are your thoughts duncan228? would like here from you ma'am

I don't think Duncan 'let' himself get outplayed, I think he ran into a younger, stronger team. And he didn't have the help on the defensive end that he needed.

And, I think Duncan is simply done. He's tired, his ankle isn't healed, his knees are shot, and as fierce a competitor as he's always been he simply doesn't have it anymore. There are flashes of the player he was, but he can't do it through the grind of a season, even with managed minutes.

I have nothing but respect and thanks for the effort he's brought his entire career. He has never disappointed me, can't ask for anything else. It's been an honor to watch him play.

MannyIsGod
04-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Its not an "allow" thing. THats just fucking stupid.

TJastal
04-29-2011, 11:28 PM

I don't think its too hard to figure out.

I'll bet anything Timmy was probably looking forward to playing alongside Splitter for large portions of every game this year. Instead he got to play alongside Boner for large portions of every game. I'd be disullusioned too.

TJastal
04-29-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't think Duncan 'let' himself get outplayed, I think he ran into a younger, stronger team. And he didn't have the help on the defensive end that he needed.

And, I think Duncan is simply done. He's tired, his ankle isn't healed, his knees are shot, and as fierce a competitor as he's always been he simply doesn't have it anymore. There are flashes of the player he was, but he can't do it through the grind of a season, even with managed minutes.

I have nothing but respect and thanks for the effort he's brought his entire career. He has never disappointed me, can't ask for anything else. It's been an honor to watch him play.

I don't think its just a physical thing, he was mentally checked out as well. No doubt sick and tired of Popovich's shenanigans & foolish lineups / rotations.

mexicanjunior
04-29-2011, 11:31 PM
He wasn't disinterested...I think he was just in shock that everything he does is at half speed now and the Memphis front court never relented in exposing his lack of speed and leaping ability...he is nothing more than a complimentary big that rebounds and defends well despite his physical abilities. He is no longer an All-Star or defensive anchor...just a shell of what he once was. It is time for us to focus on getting the next franchise player and if it means blowing up the team...so be it.

Borosai
04-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Duncan just can't do what he used to do. That's it. He had to work really hard for what he got, and that's a lot to ask from him at this point. The only chance the Spurs have at another championship is to get a very good PF and officially move Tim to center.

But I wouldn't say Duncan is disinterested. Ever, I hope.

5in10
04-29-2011, 11:44 PM
RJ and Duncan seem to be good friends, maybe RJ's personality just rubbed off on duncan and made him just not wanna compete. To me it seems that moron jefferson rubbed off onto a lot of our players.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-30-2011, 12:18 AM

He looked like a guy who was looking over and seeing Matt Bonner trying to guard Zach freakin' Randolph all night.

angelbelow
04-30-2011, 01:01 AM
I thought he looked pretty shocked/upset. Maybe a tad bit more on the shocked side IMO.

Master splitter
04-30-2011, 01:04 AM
He's a dinosaur. What do you expect, missed dunks,low rebounds, no more bank shots.

Reck
04-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Theres just not much in the tank.

Hes running on fumes. And tonight it completely evaporated.

Timmy D is officially done.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-30-2011, 01:06 AM
He's a dinosaur. What do you expect, missed dunks,low rebounds, no more bank shots.

Duncan's pretty cerebral. You know he was looking around and seeing the suckage of Bonner, Jefferson, Hill, and Blair and wondering what the hell was going on.

And on the flip side he's seeing Gasol, Zach, Vasquez, Conley all play out of their minds.

DMC
04-30-2011, 01:07 AM
Tim was expected to be both the strong and weak side defender, then post up and play his game at the other end with people like Bonner and Blair running around.

No, this doesn't fall on Tim. To many other people were AWOL in this series.

However, like Pop, I think Tim was resigned to the fact that the offensive style of play wasn't conducive to winning playoff games. I saw a few silent confrontations between Tim and Pop, where Tim just turned his back on Pop as Pop was trying to tell him something, and I saw at least once Tim mouth "whatever" as he walked away.

A team tunes a coach out after a while and Tim is no idiot.

DMC
04-30-2011, 01:10 AM
It's not that he's disinterested. He wants to win a 5th ring to match Kobe and pass Shaq. It's just that he is washed up and he knows it.
You are undoubtedly the most clueless idiot on this forum.

Tim couldn't give a shit less about Shaq or Kobe's rings.

If you think otherwise you have never seen a Spurs game.

tmtcsc
04-30-2011, 01:13 AM
Tim Duncan was awful in this series. He didn't get rebounds unless they fell in to his hands, he put up weak layups and got out played. He was a statue on defense and just didn't move. He showed no emotions unless he was called for a foul. What excuse is there for airballing a FT at the beginning of a game ?

Nah, he's done. I love him for what he did in bringing 4 rings to this city, but he was absolutely a liability on the floor. His contract is an even bigger liability. Do we get the cap space if he retires ? We're going to need it. I don't mind him sticking around as a bench player but he's done. It happens to everyone.

And as much as I love Manu, he played like shit tonight. He played hard as usual but he threw away the ball and threw up crap shots. I'll always give him the benefit of the doubt and he was playing with an arm and a half but it was not his best game.

RJ = BAD FIT. He needs to go. He started the season great and then trailed off. At least his contract is more manageable to trade now.

I think someone else posted this somewhere but, it was Bruce Bowen's departure that really signaled an end to the team we used to know. We need to get bigger and stronger in the front court. Our back court is fine.

Sadly, we may not even have a season next year. Then what ?

DMC
04-30-2011, 02:18 AM
Tim Duncan was awful in this series. He didn't get rebounds unless they fell in to his hands, he put up weak layups and got out played. He was a statue on defense and just didn't move. He showed no emotions unless he was called for a foul. What excuse is there for airballing a FT at the beginning of a game ?

Nah, he's done. I love him for what he did in bringing 4 rings to this city, but he was absolutely a liability on the floor. His contract is an even bigger liability. Do we get the cap space if he retires ? We're going to need it. I don't mind him sticking around as a bench player but he's done. It happens to everyone.

And as much as I love Manu, he played like shit tonight. He played hard as usual but he threw away the ball and threw up crap shots. I'll always give him the benefit of the doubt and he was playing with an arm and a half but it was not his best game.

RJ = BAD FIT. He needs to go. He started the season great and then trailed off. At least his contract is more manageable to trade now.

I think someone else posted this somewhere but, it was Bruce Bowen's departure that really signaled an end to the team we used to know. We need to get bigger and stronger in the front court. Our back court is fine.

Sadly, we may not even have a season next year. Then what ?
It would suck for Duncan to just fade away due to a lockout. He needs a farewell tour at least. Nothing over the top like the MJ multi-retirement fiasco, just a chance for people around the nation to pay respects to the dude.

vednam
04-30-2011, 02:24 AM
Just cause someone isn't yelling and screaming and visibly upset doesn't mean they don't care.

Duncan doesn't show his emotions, but he is a fierce competitor and I'm sure he cared a lot. You could see it in how annoyed he was with some of the post-game questions.

vednam
04-30-2011, 02:27 AM

Yeah.

Tim is suited to play the 1999-2003 Robinson role at this point. Instead, Duncan has less help than he ever had inside. He needs to carry as much of a load as he did during his prime, given such little help, but he simply can't.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 02:31 AM
His decline started a few seasons ago, and it has obviously been magnified with the lack of decent help. As much as he 'sucked' this series, there's little doubt he was the best big in our team. It just feels empty because he used to be such a dominant player.

I think he's not a franchise guy anymore, obviously, but can still play a serviceable-big role for stretches. People need to adjust to this reality.

TJastal
04-30-2011, 02:33 AM
His decline started a few seasons ago, and it has obviously been magnified with the lack of decent help. As much as he 'sucked' this series, there's little doubt he was the best big in our team. It just feels empty because he used to be such a dominant player.

I think he's not a franchise guy anymore, obviously, but can still play a serviceable-big role for stretches. People need to adjust to this reality.

Nah he got abused in the paint by Z-bo just as much as Bonner. Didn't ya watch the series, El Nono?

KenziE
04-30-2011, 02:36 AM
You are undoubtedly the most clueless idiot on this forum.

Tim couldn't give a shit less about Shaq or Kobe's rings.

If you think otherwise you have never seen a Spurs game.

so true timmy doesnt care how many rings other guys have

thanks for your time ma'am i was just hoping that timmy could have been more asertive in atleast letting pop know that mat bonner as hard as he works aint gonna make life easier for him inside the paint .. i mean atleast do something about it not throwing bonner under the bus but he could have asked pop to give him splitter to be there inside with him ... im just sad the way it evolved ...

ElNono
04-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Nah he got abused in the paint by Z-bo just as much as Bonner. Didn't ya watch the series, El Nono?

He was the help defender on ZBo... He mostly guarded Gasol... who clearly overpowered him...

You did watch the games, right?

ElNono
04-30-2011, 02:39 AM
What other Spurs big averaged anywhere near a double-double this series?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-30-2011, 02:40 AM
I don't think he was disinterested, he's just getting old. Offensively, he really fell off this year, although his defence, rebounding, smarts and leadership are still a positive.

The guy is now 35 and has 1228 (Duncan228! ;) ) games on his legs - most NBA players start to decline around the 1000 mark, so we're fortunate he lasted this long before declining markedly.

At this point in his career I think Tim should be able to do whatever he wants to do, whether it be playing on another year or two, retiring, or even being traded to a contender if he really wants another ring. He has more than earned his freedom.

Thank you Tim Duncan. You are the greatest Spurs warrior of all time, and you brought home 4 rings for all of us to admire. :toast

TJastal
04-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Tim was expected to be both the strong and weak side defender, then post up and play his game at the other end with people like Bonner and Blair running around.

No, this doesn't fall on Tim. To many other people were AWOL in this series.

However, like Pop, I think Tim was resigned to the fact that the offensive style of play wasn't conducive to winning playoff games. I saw a few silent confrontations between Tim and Pop, where Tim just turned his back on Pop as Pop was trying to tell him something, and I saw at least once Tim mouth "whatever" as he walked away.

A team tunes a coach out after a while and Tim is no idiot.

I don't find this shocking, albeit interesting to know. I've long suspected that Tim Duncan has grown increasingly tired of Pop's shenanigans and stupidity.

MaNu4Tres
04-30-2011, 02:54 AM
You better believe Duncan was interested, he just had zero confidence.

He's probably going to take this loss harder than anyone on the team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-30-2011, 02:55 AM
Tim's not the franchise anymore. He can still play the DRob to a new Tim. The problem is, that's got to be someone tall that can play in the post and block some shots. i.e., someone not named Blair or Bonner.

They could honestly do a lot putting Splitter in the starting five and letting him play pick and roll all day long. Tom has that nice mid-range jumper that would compliment the PnR well (and it would decrease the wear and tear on him as well).

But they need a third "low post" big man to go with them. None of this candy ass stretch four shit.

1Parker1
04-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Tim's not the franchise anymore. He can still play the DRob to a new Tim. The problem is, that's got to be someone tall that can play in the post and block some shots. i.e., someone not named Blair or Bonner.

They could honestly do a lot putting Splitter in the starting five and letting him play pick and roll all day long. Tom has that nice mid-range jumper that would compliment the PnR well (and it would decrease the wear and tear on him as well).

But they need a third "low post" big man to go with them. None of this candy ass stretch four shit.

Am I the only one who wasn't too impressed with Splitter? He just seemed to much of a finesse player, which really doesn't complement well with Duncan at this stage in his career. Spurs need a tough, big body down in the low post who can scruffle and muscle his way to boxing out/rebounding and who has the size/length to defend the paint. Splitter only has the size, not sure if he has the toughness.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 02:58 AM
You better believe Duncan was interested, he just had zero confidence.

He's probably going to take this loss harder than anyone on the team.

I was looking at the interview in NBA.com, and he said it was probably one of the toughest loses for him...

ElNono
04-30-2011, 03:01 AM
Am I the only one who wasn't too impressed with Splitter? He just seemed to much of a finesse player, which really doesn't complement well with Duncan at this stage in his career. Spurs need a tough, big body down in the low post who can scruffle and muscle his way to boxing out/rebounding and who has the size/length to defend the paint. Splitter only has the size, not sure if he has the toughness.

Marc Gasol was like that too when he came into the league... then he bulked up a bit. We just lost a full season of development on Tiago to see the turd towers run around... I agree we need another bulky big... doesn't need to score much or anything, just be a big body that can bang up...

Tiago will come around though, but you need to play him...

1Parker1
04-30-2011, 03:01 AM
Oh and :lol @ anyone who thinks Duncan looked "disinterested"...this is what happens when you age. And more so than age, this is what you get when you are manning the paint by yourself for 35 minutes in the playoffs against a tougher, younger, more athletic front court. If he had some help, and a tough defender beside him, Duncan could have helped more in this series I think.

1Parker1
04-30-2011, 03:03 AM
Marc Gasol was like that too when he came into the league... then he bulked up a bit. We just lost a full season of development on Tiago to see the turd towers run around... I agree we need another bulky big... doesn't need to score much or anything, just be a big body that can bang up...

Tiago will come around though, but you need to play him...

I don't see Tiago bulking up and being that big bodied defender in the middle. I think part of the reason he looked so great to Spurs fans is that he really didn't have much competition: McDyess showed his age, Blair showed his lack of size, and Bonner showed his lack of balls. Basically anyone can look good compared to those options.

Like I said, not sure I think at this stage in Duncan's career, Splitter would be a great sidekick in the paint that he needs.

duncan228
04-30-2011, 03:06 AM
I was looking at the interview in NBA.com, and he said it was probably one of the toughest loses for him...

For anyone that missed it, Duncan's post-game interview.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/110429_duncan.html

ElNono
04-30-2011, 03:10 AM
I don't see Tiago bulking up and being that big bodied defender in the middle. I think part of the reason he looked so great to Spurs fans is that he really didn't have much competition: McDyess showed his age, Blair showed his lack of size, and Bonner showed his lack of balls. Basically anyone can look good compared to those options.

Like I said, not sure I think at this stage in Duncan's career, Splitter would be a great sidekick in the paint that he needs.

I'm not sure at this stage he would be either but, if anything, he would be a great 3rd big off the bench...

I mean, realistically speaking, this is a guy that got thrown into the fire in the middle of playoffs... he had no time to get any kind of chemistry with anybody on the team. When you look at it that way, I thought he did a very good job overall, and there's some good stuff to work with going forward.

1Parker1
04-30-2011, 03:10 AM
For anyone that missed it, Duncan's post-game interview.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/video/110429_duncan.html

:lol Damn you're good. After reading that post I went searching for the video and couldn't find it. Thanks!

1Parker1
04-30-2011, 03:11 AM
I'm not sure at this stage he would be either but, if anything, he would be a great 3rd big off the bench...

I mean, realistically speaking, this is a guy that got thrown into the fire in the middle of playoffs... he had no time to get any kind of chemistry with anybody on the team. When you look at it that way, I thought he did a very good job overall, and there's some good stuff to work with going forward.

Agreed. I was just being cautious to those who believe that just having a big man rotation next season of Splitter, Duncan, and Blair/Bonner will be any improvement.

Hoops Czar
04-30-2011, 03:13 AM

Hey clown, Duncan's old. Duncan cares, he just can't carry this team on his back like he used to. He needed help and he got next to none.

peskypesky
04-30-2011, 03:14 AM

:toast

duncan228
04-30-2011, 03:14 AM
:lol Damn you're good. After reading that post I went searching for the video and couldn't find it. Thanks!

The other interviews, if you're interested. :)

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178685

ElNono
04-30-2011, 03:15 AM
Agreed. I was just being cautious to those who believe that just having a big man rotation next season of Splitter, Duncan, and Blair/Bonner will be any improvement.

One of those two, or both need to go. We also need one more big... I posted the same on the rebuild thread...

ElNono
04-30-2011, 03:18 AM
Gasol lost 100 pounds to play in the NBA. He was bigger in Europe than he is now. Splitter is playing at the heaviest he has ever been. Splitter cannot pile on weight and still have the same mobility like Gasol can.

Bulked up is no the same as fat. Gasol has bulked up since he came to the NBA... and he's not really that mobile... Nene, Bynum...lots of bigs that bulked up over the years, some quicker than others...

I'm not saying Tiago will do the same... but he could do it if he wanted to.

Splits
04-30-2011, 03:18 AM
Duncan and his self-demoralization should go stick a dildo in his ass

ElNono
04-30-2011, 03:23 AM
Manu_Forever (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=22688) This message is hidden because Manu_Forever (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=22688) is greek.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 03:24 AM
Wow, this greek weak basketball takes auto-ignore works great! Thanks LJ!

TJastal
04-30-2011, 03:27 AM
This board is generally totally delusional about the level of Splitter. He is good on defense but his offense is quite limited.

Splitter is very good in the P&R game which has become pretty much a staple of many offenses in the nba today. Which bodes well for him.

This year would have been the perfect year to introduce him to the starting lineup where he and Ginobili could have perfected their P&R game but Pop was too obsessed with his Ginger getting PT.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 03:28 AM
Splitter is very good in the P&R game which has become pretty much a staple of many offenses in the nba today. Which bodes well for him.

This year would have been the perfect year to introduce him to the starting lineup where he and Ginobili could have perfected their P&R game but Pop was too obsessed with his Ginger getting PT.

You know you're talking to a Splitter troll, right?

TJastal
04-30-2011, 03:34 AM
You know you're talking to a Splitter troll, right?

I think he really believes the shit he's saying.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Manu_Forever (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=22688) This message is hidden because Manu_Forever (http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=22688) is greek.

SenorSpur
04-30-2011, 04:05 AM

Tougher than getting swept aside by the Suns last spring?

ElNono
04-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Tougher than getting swept aside by the Suns last spring?

I'm just the messenger... the link to the video is a few posts back...

objective
04-30-2011, 04:15 AM
Blame the ankle, blame fatigue, but that's just part of aging.

Like it or not, it goes down from here. It's easy to fool yourself into thinking that, "Next year, next year he'll be healthy. And with a real big man next to him, he'll be better".

Sorry, sad as that makes me.

If he keeps playing he's just going to turn into Hakeem Olajuwon with the Toronto Raptors.

Part of me, a big part of me, wants him to opt out and sign an extension for another 2 or even 3 years. Because I'm selfish and nostalgic and want that long goodbye.

But the other part of me knows how that long goodbye is just prolonged torment.

I don't want to see him shambling around like Raptor Hakeem, missing tons of games with wear-and-tear related injuries.

I want to remember him the way he was.

SA210
04-30-2011, 09:24 AM

:tu

And the constant weak soft missed layups that should have been dunks.

dbreiden83080
04-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I hate to say it, but Duncan was a liability in this series.

Uh they would have got swept without him.. My biggest gripe is with him not getting the ball in the 2nd half..

Kamala
04-30-2011, 10:29 AM
He's old plain and simple. I was looking at the famous picture of Avery hitting the shot in 99 against the Knicks to win the title. The guys in the picture -Sprewell, Sean Elliott, Avery, Chris Childs, Marcus Camby etc. Most of those guys have been out of the league several years. Duncan is from a different era, a golden one. It rarely happens and will not be duplicated. Pop won't be here for more than a year or two and neither will Tim. It was a good run and they won and lost the right way for 13 years.

Now youngsters it is time for the dark ages for a while for players like Walter Berry, Cadillac Anderson, and Kurt Nimphius while Spurs fans will be happy to be 500 and get into the playoffs. It is the circle of life in the NBA. It is truly rebuilding mode.
:flag::flag::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::flag::flag:

dunkman
04-30-2011, 10:54 AM
He said it after game 1, he couldn't concentrate on Gasol because he had to have an eye on Z-Bo. Blair and Bonner were of little help, when Splitter started playing, the serie was almost over.

I think Parker also got frustrated, he also said something about Splitter.

The players no longer trust in Pop, they quit.

That why they didn't call a timeout in one game.

davidbowie
04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
tim needs some muscles

pjjrfan
04-30-2011, 11:56 AM
The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. TD is not the same player since 2006 Tim's game has been declining most noticeably IMO his foot movement on his hook shots. Now the guy is a shadow of himself he can still defend and I think thebankle was bothering him defensively but his offense is almost nonexistent at this point. He'll have ahold game scoring wise once in a while but not on a regular basis. It happens age doesn't discriminate.

rmt
04-30-2011, 12:29 PM
I think that he had a lot of hope for a good playoff run, then Manu's injury, the close losses happened. He played well through the first 3 games (quite well in the 3rd) but it was obvious that Bonner/Blair/even Dice was overmatched with Zach. Then Pop brought in Splitter much, much too late in the series.

Don't know why Pop went away with TD on Zach - I thought he did a pretty good job when he was on him - Zach had trouble scoring over TD's length. People have pretty unrealistic expectation of TD at 35. Didn't he have a double-double for the series - that's not bad against Randolph/Gasol (one of the best big men/combo) compared to his RS season stats against the entire league? This in a relatively low-scoring series too.

I still blame Pop for much of the mess. After the Twin Towers and 4 rings based on defense, to think that a frontline of TD/Dice/Bonner/Blair in the playoffs is going to cut it was stupid. Even Mahinmi would have been better than Bonner/Blair - not got pushed around so much. The doubling of whoever Bonner/Blair was on threw the whole defense off.

Yeah, but all the bunnies he missed in game 6 were terrible.

PS I hope that the good game that Bonner had doesn't give Pop even more ideas about using Bonner more next season. Where was Splitter in the 2nd half?

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2011, 12:36 PM
if only duncan still had his jumper whether it was the bankshot or the 18ft top of the key, then it didnt make him look like a fool out there minimize to only stupid no lift layups

Axe Murderer
04-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Duncan has earned the right to do whatever he wants, but unfortunately the Spurs will just be trapped as a 2nd round ceiling team until he retires

Spurs da champs
04-30-2011, 01:13 PM
TD probably can't believe he can't do the things he once did on the court. Tim was never a physical player and it showed more as he got older.

Tim isn't/wasn't soft and he can/did play physical. You can't be soft being as great a low post scorer/defender as he was/is.