PDA

View Full Version : Denial

Homeland Security
04-30-2011, 12:03 AM
It's over, dumb shits.

The Spurs are not a piece away, unless that piece is a carbon copy of Tim Duncan in his prime.

Tim Duncan is not even half the player he used to be. He is maybe what David Robinson was in his final year.

Manu Ginobili is into his mid-30s. Put together his European and NBA careers, and he has been playing forever. His peak was 2008.

Tony Parker will be entering his 11th NBA season next year. His peak was 2009.

Popovich is well into his 60s, and his best years are far past.

George Hill, DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal, Tiago Splitter, etc. are not future stars to build around. To see an example of what happens when you build around guys like that, look at the Pistons.

Those guys might be nice pieces to add around a solid nucleus. But the Spurs don't have a solid nucleus anymore. What they have is old, brittle, and already half-collapsed.

The golden era of the Spurs ended in 2008. The past three years have included two first-round exits and a bitchslap sweep by a team they once owned. A reasonable goal for 2011-12 is simply making the playoffs.

It will be years before the Spurs are a legitimate contender again, and if that day comes, all the faces will be different.

Stop pretending the Spurs can just make some offseason tweaks and be "legit contenders." They won't again be contending for much more than a 6 seed.

timvp
04-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Bro, you've given up every non-championship year I can remember. The good news for you is that eventually you'll be right :tu

TP2150
04-30-2011, 12:05 AM
The Wizard's are talking trash. :lol

rayray2k8
04-30-2011, 12:07 AM
Not sure who you taking to. Almost every fan is saying its time to rebuild. I'm sorry if the Spurs made you cry in the past, but it's okay now bro. Feel better?

Spurtacus
04-30-2011, 12:08 AM
It would be easy to contend if we were in a big market....you know LA, Boston, or Miami. Superstars would just fall into our lap. But Spurs built their dynasty legitimely through draft and signing role players. Its amazing that we've made this run for 10+ years now. Spurs are still the winningest team (in terms of winning percentage) in all major sports since Duncan came into the league.

Homeland Security
04-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Bro, you've given up every non-championship year I can remember. The good news for you is that eventually you'll be right :tu
If by "eventually," you mean "continuously for the past three years," then I agree. :tu

TJastal
04-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Every year the analysts say the same thing and guess what? The spurs are always right there in thick of everything. As long as Tim Duncan laces em up next year, along with Manu & TP this team will be a contender. I think those guys have another couple years of contending, actually.

Now, I might happen to agree with you about the 60 year senile as fuck coach needing to move on, however.

underdawg
04-30-2011, 12:23 AM
It's over, dumb shits.

The Spurs are not a piece away, unless that piece is a carbon copy of Tim Duncan in his prime.

Tim Duncan is not even half the player he used to be. He is maybe what David Robinson was in his final year.

Manu Ginobili is into his mid-30s. Put together his European and NBA careers, and he has been playing forever. His peak was 2008.

Tony Parker will be entering his 11th NBA season next year. His peak was 2009.

Popovich is well into his 60s, and his best years are far past.

George Hill, DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal, Tiago Splitter, etc. are not future stars to build around. To see an example of what happens when you build around guys like that, look at the Pistons.

Those guys might be nice pieces to add around a solid nucleus. But the Spurs don't have a solid nucleus anymore. What they have is old, brittle, and already half-collapsed.

The golden era of the Spurs ended in 2008. The past three years have included two first-round exits and a bitchslap sweep by a team they once owned. A reasonable goal for 2011-12 is simply making the playoffs.

It will be years before the Spurs are a legitimate contender again, and if that day comes, all the faces will be different.

Stop pretending the Spurs can just make some offseason tweaks and be "legit contenders." They won't again be contending for much more than a 6 seed.

It's been over - the FO has failed miserably to surround the big 3 in the last of their productive years (finley (1 year ok), bogans, mason, bonner, jefferson, blair, hill, etc.) - there's no hope in the status quo and for the most part that has been Pop's strategy since '07 (wow the Spurs were lucky for the dominoes to fall how they did that year.)

I am a Spurs fan and I'm tired of this small market bs settling for mediocrity. If good players won't come to SA, then fine, we'll suck and hope for another D-Rob or Timmy. Neal was an accident and the best thing the FO has done in a while, but name another player besides the big 3 that's been consitently good for the past few years! After Bowen, Horry and Barry weren't on the team, did the Spurs become undesirable for all free agents/trade targets?

I doubt it possible, but the Spurs need to blow up the team with the exception of the big 3, Neal and Tiago (his contract's cheap, but he has a lot of work ahead of him.) Butler and Anderson could be options, but their unknowns at this point. Pop needs to retire - he's not effective anymore and to argue against that is comical (keep your 61 wins - it meant crap against Memphis.)