PDA

View Full Version : Is this one of the hardest moments a Spursfan had to go through?

TE
04-30-2011, 01:22 AM
I've followed the Spurs since 95. I remember once watching Robinson get worked up by Olajuwon after that incredible regular season as MVP, and that sucked.

I remember losing to the Suns back in 2000 without TD, that sucked.

I remember losing to the Lakers two years in a row (2001-2002) in what felt like a seemingly inevitable mountain to climb, that sucked.

I remember the .4 second shot, that fucking sucked.

I remember the Ginobili foul, that fucking sucked.

I remember the 08 playoffs, were Manu played on one ankle, that really really sucked.

I remember the 09 playoffs, were TP and Duncan were the only contributors to a shit team with a shit roster, that sucked.

I remember the 10 playoffs, when we were swept, I still have no words for that tbh.

And now this, 2011 playoffs; first round, getting knocked off by the Grizzlies.

:depressed

In light of winning four championships, what do you think is the worst moment in Spur playoff history?

IMO, it has to be this year.

We had a dominant regular season, winning 61 games. Looked primed for a deep playoff run until the latter part of the regular season began to show signs that this Spurs team would have to face some adversity to win number 5.

All in all, this is a really disappointing season. More disappointing then the rest.

Here's to a great run, but a bitter end. :toast

TJastal
04-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Well, according to all the "experts" the grizz were just plain ol' better than us by a mile so we shouldn't feel all that bad..

mexicanjunior
04-30-2011, 01:27 AM
In light of winning four championships, what do you think is the worst moment in Spur playoff history?

Right here, right now...

At least with your other Duncan era examples, next season always seemed to have hope for a return to contention...this is the door closing on hope and it hurts more than any of the others...

Budkin
04-30-2011, 01:27 AM
No way... it was obvious that our weaknesses were going to kill us in the playoffs. Nothing, nothing was worse than blowing two almost sure thing chances at repeats. 0.4 was hands down the worst moment in Spurs playoff history followed by Manu's idiotic foul. We could have won both those years.

silverblk mystix
04-30-2011, 01:30 AM
Very hard to take.

Part of being a diehard fan is losing more often than not...

I remember 1979...we were up 3-1 to the Washington Bullets and lost the series...and I loved that team...that one hurt...

When the Spurs finally won a title in 1999...it was the sweetest feeling as a fan...to be blessed with 3 additional titles after that was just more than we ever dreamed of.

Winning number five someday will taste a whole lot sweeter because of disappointments like the last couple of years.

We are not a glitter or glamour franchise that gets break after break and favorable trades and free agent signings and other "perks"...but we are still a respected franchise.

As former Spurs announcer Terry Stembridge used to say, "there will be another game."

scottspurs
04-30-2011, 01:32 AM
You should think about the good times not the bad. I remember watching Duncan Slay the Lakers Dynasty in 2003 and sending the Admiral out with a ring. Still my favorite season and Championship. Its just basketball man don't take it so hard.

timvp
04-30-2011, 01:33 AM
2006 still hurts the most. The Spurs should have won a championship that year. I cried for about three days after the Spurs lost in 1995.

This year is like a mix of 2001 and 2010. Just a surprising, abrupt end.

1Parker1
04-30-2011, 01:34 AM
I'd say this year is probably the toughest in the Duncan/Ginobili/Parker era---only because you figure it was probably the last with this core. As Spurs fans, even when DRob retired and was going downhil, we had hope after getting Duncan. Right now, the Spurs really don't have that.

Winning 61 games, I still figured the Spurs to have a remote chance getting out of the West. I just didn't think it would be this bad and in the first round.

DesignatedT
04-30-2011, 01:35 AM
I've felt much worse then this. 06 and 04 were by far the worst.

guillermo78228
04-30-2011, 01:35 AM
it sucks, but it really gets me that the grizzlies tanked their last game to play the spurs, and to top it off, the smack that Barkley has been saying about the team

crc21209
04-30-2011, 01:36 AM
We Spurs fans have been through the best of times and through the worst of times thats for sure. I've been a fan since I was born really, in 1988. I started watching basketball at a very young age, around 5, and naturally my team was the Spurs because San Antonio is only 2 1/2 hours away from where I live. I remember the shitty days of the early 90's, even with D-Rob, they just could never get over the hump. Don't get me wrong watching D-Rob every night was amazing, but when you surrounded him with guys like Willie Anderson, Cadillac Anderson, Will Perdue, Vinny Del Negro, etc., it was hard to watch. I cried as a kid watching them struggle in the early 90's, getting owned every year basically by the Utah Jazz and that SOB Karl Malone. I really thought 95' was going to be "our year," until Hakeem came along and totally schooled David and the Spurs. And then David started with his back problems and Sean got hurt and everything went down hill...until the Spurs landed Tim Duncan. And everything was right in the world. I remember the 1999 championship clearly, I was a 5th grader cheering and yelling my little heart out. I had never been happier for Robinson, Elliott, and Avery. They all deserved it more than anyone. Never in my wildest dreams did I think they would win 4 championships. And they have. Yes we've had shitty moments like TD going down in 2000, .4, the "Manu foul", the 08' plane incident, and now a 1st round exit as a number one seed. But if you would've told me back when I was a kid crying after another 1st round exit to the Jazz that in the next 10-15 years the Spurs would be the winningest team in ALL of sports and win 4 championships, I would have then cried tears of joy, and savored each championship just a little more......

baseline bum
04-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Not at all for me. You could see this coming from a mile away once the team started nose-diving in March. Don't get me wrong; I expected them to be the ones on top 4-2 over Memphis, but I had no illusions of the Spurs competing with OKC or LA by the beginning of March. '04 is still by far the worst for me, as that team was ridiculous. I think they had a 19-game win streak and had been embarrassing the hell out of LA before they just rolled over and died 4 straight when LA employed a gimmick defense. Turkoglu was the only thing that kept the 04 Spurs from being a legendary team.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 01:39 AM
2006 was the wasted opportunity. The Spurs were far and away the best team in the league and Pop decided to go small for no reason whatsoever, robbing Duncan of a threepeat.

This team was doomed the day Pop decided that Splitter wasn't a center and Bonner/Blair were. Ever since 2006 I've been pretty resigned to the fact that Pop's going to find ways to fuck up a good thing, mistaking being different for being clever.

1995 hurt, but history has shown that Hakeem had far far better teammates than Robinson did to take the pressure off him, and the fact that he stepped up for the only time in his career, not for his teammates, but because he felt personally slighted, speaks volumes about his character.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 01:40 AM
I thought we would get farther, but the writing was on the wall... it's always tough, but '04 and '06 I thought we had a much better shot, so the disappointment was bigger.

peskypesky
04-30-2011, 01:40 AM
to me, this doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad as the .4 loss to the Lakers, or the loss to the Mavs when Manu fouled Dirk, or yeah, that loss to the Bullets in the 70s.

why doesn't this one hurt as much? for one thing, because Tim's already brought 4 trophies home. for another, everyone knows the Spurs are long in the tooth, and way past their prime, so you just can't expect as much from them as when they were younger and more athletic. sure, the regular season wins were cool, and the promise of HCA throughout the playoffs was really nice, but we ALL knew this team had holes and question marks.

did i expect a first-round exit? of course not. but i did think we might have serious trouble if we faced the Lakers or the Mavs. and ever since the collusion of the Gasol - Kwame Brown trade, the chances of anyone in the west beating the Lakers just about evaporated.

crc21209
04-30-2011, 01:42 AM
Not at all for me. You could see this coming from a mile away once the team started nose-diving in March. Don't get me wrong; I expected them to be the ones on top 4-2 over Memphis, but I had no illusions of the Spurs competing with OKC or LA by the beginning of March. '04 is still by far the worst for me, as that team was ridiculous. I think they had a 19-game win streak and had been embarrassing the hell out of LA before they just rolled over and died 4 straight when LA employed a gimmick defense. Turkoglu was the only thing that kept the 04 Spurs from being a legendary team.

+1. And who would've thought that was possible after D-Rob had just retired the year before? If Stephen Jackson had only taken that damn contract the Spurs offered him instead of turning it down and eventually playing for $1 million in Atlanta, the Spurs would have another trophy in the AT&T Center....

arial
04-30-2011, 01:46 AM
We had a great season but you should have all known this team wasn't playoff ready. It showed in March and in this series. The run and gun is ok in the regular season but if you can't have solid D it doesn't get you anywhere.

xellos88330
04-30-2011, 01:46 AM
This franchise has become a pretty significant staple in my family. There is nothing that can happen to this team that can make my opinion of them change. They are MY team of choice, and noone is going to make me think differently. They can never win another championship or be the worst team in the league until I die, but I will still be buried in a silver and black coffin with my championship dvd's.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 01:48 AM
This franchise has become a pretty significant staple in my family. There is nothing that can happen to this team that can make my opinion of them change. They are MY team of choice, and noone is going to make me think differently. They can never win another championship or be the worst team in the league until I die, but I will still be buried in a silver and black coffin with my championship dvd's.

Hmmm, okay... how about the actual topic's question? :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-30-2011, 01:50 AM
2006 still hurts the most. The Spurs should have won a championship that year. I cried for about three days after the Spurs lost in 1995.

This year is like a mix of 2001 and 2010. Just a surprising, abrupt end.

I mostly agree with this.

2006, 2004, 1995 were all much harder to swallow. 2001 was worse than 2010 too.

This year feels pretty similar to last year - sad, but predictable. I am not surprised we lost this series at all given that we'd been steadily declining since early March, but it is a little sad because we were so good for so long early in the season.

timvp
04-30-2011, 01:51 AM
I'd say this year is probably the toughest in the Duncan/Ginobili/Parker era---only because you figure it was probably the last with this core. As Spurs fans, even when DRob retired and was going downhil, we had hope after getting Duncan. Right now, the Spurs really don't have that.

That's a pretty good point.

2000 - No Duncan. Didn't have a chance.
2001 - Duncan young. Robinson still has juice.
2002 - Duncan young. Parker looks good! Ginobili coming!
2004 - Duncan young. Parker, Ginobili blossoming. Understandable fall from Robinson to Rasho.
2006 - Arghhhh. Duncan now 30. Role players aging. Had easy road to championship after Mavs.
2008 - Manu hurt. Just gotta hope for a healthy Manu next year.
2009 - Manu hurt. Just gotta hope for a healthy Manu next year.
2010 - Manu hurt. TP hurt. Duncan worn down. Hope for health.
2011 - Pretty damn healthy all year. Not sure if health is enough. Duncan officially old. TP and Manu probably declining. Miiight have one more chance.

So yeah, big picture this one stings.

1Parker1
04-30-2011, 01:53 AM
To Anyone who doesn't think that this is the hardest moment for Spursfan, as yourself this: What if this is what your last memory of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili era?

1Parker1
04-30-2011, 01:56 AM
That's a pretty good point.

2000 - No Duncan. Didn't have a chance.
2001 - Duncan young. Robinson still has juice.
2002 - Duncan young. Parker looks good! Ginobili coming!
2004 - Duncan young. Parker, Ginobili blossoming. Understandable fall from Robinson to Rasho.
2006 - Arghhhh. Duncan now 30. Role players aging. Had easy road to championship after Mavs.
2008 - Manu hurt. Just gotta hope for a healthy Manu next year.
2009 - Manu hurt. Just gotta hope for a healthy Manu next year.
2010 - Manu hurt. TP hurt. Duncan worn down. Hope for health.
2011 - Pretty damn healthy all year. Not sure if health is enough. Duncan officially old. TP and Manu probably declining. Miiight have one more chance.

So yeah, big picture this one stings.

2011 is also the hardest for the simple reason that the Spurs don't even have any tradeable chips to really change and surround Duncan/TP/Ginobili with the kind of players need to make 1 more run.

2011 is also the worst year in Spurs fans memory because it's the year we resigned Matt Bonner and Richard Jefferson :pctoss

baseline bum
04-30-2011, 01:56 AM
To Anyone who doesn't think that this is the hardest moment for Spursfan, as yourself this: What if this is what your last memory of Duncan/Parker/Ginobili era?

I would say it's been dwarfed by all the great memories. Even then, game 5 was still a hell of a thing to see.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 01:57 AM

I'll remember how stupid it was of whoever broke up a group consisting of the best starting backcourt in the NBA and a top three frontline defender because of retarded decisions about the players around them and the inability of the coach to make adjustments or get his players ready for the playoffs.

DMC
04-30-2011, 01:58 AM
Its tough when you follow each game so closely and dissect everything to the point where you think you understand it, then things change and you cannot explain it.

This year is not so bad, probably because I have other things going on in my life that take priority, and I have put games in general into perspective. I was a sports nut for quite some time and very competitive in whatever I did, but as I grew older and my kids grew up, I started seeing things differently. These days I am happy with a decent match up, some wings and a cold one. We win, that's great, I get some yelling and fist pumping in and go on a week high. We lose, I feel it for a few days and finally I move on. In the past, I was a bastard to get along with for weeks after a loss.

phxspurfan
04-30-2011, 01:59 AM
Not even close. We have 4 championships. Getting swept by the Lakers in '01 (or was it '02) with DRob and Duncan was the worst feeling ever. Second-worse was the DA injury and third was the TD injury in '00 I think

DMC
04-30-2011, 02:00 AM
Relative to the alternatives, I have no problem with it. The team will go on and there will be more eras to come and go. I feel lucky to have witnessed this one.

Cane
04-30-2011, 02:02 AM
It hurts since this was one of the last best chances the Spurs had to contend with this core and it was a first round upset to the Grizz. At least we had one truly great game for the Spurs playoffs history in game 5?

It also sucks since there might not even be a season next year, and if its anything like 1999 it could drain the veterans' legs since it was a jam-packed schedule.

The Spurs had an almost legendary season and it looked like they were finally going to finish healthy and then Duncan went down with his ankle and Manu went down in the last game of the regular season :depressed:depressed. Dice also tweaked his leg throughout the season and all three of these guys got banged up in the playoffs pretty good, including Duncan tweaking his hurt ankle.

The Spurs mojo was starting to lose steam after they lost the best record in the league in arguably humiliating fashion and also lost the coveted health advantage they were monitoring for.

Like what Barkley said...if the Spurs matched up with the Hornets they'd be going to the 2nd round...the Grizz were just a bad match-up even without Rudy Gay. They had a size and athleticism advantage for just about every play on the court.

1Parker1
I'll remember how stupid it was of whoever broke up a group consisting of the best starting backcourt in the NBA and a top three frontline defender because of retarded decisions about the players around them and the inability of the coach to make adjustments or get his players ready for the playoffs.

I'd say this is probably the last chance the Spurs had of ever having a healthy Ginobili for 81 games in the regular season and a semi-healthy Duncan. That's what pisses me off the most about this season. Ginobili was FINALLY healthy and the Ginobili we all Spurs fans loved---and he sprains his elbow on the FINAL game of the regular season.

It's almost fitting in a way that the Phoenix Suns doomed the Spurs from the begining in Round 1 :depressed

ElNono

Then I tip my hat and say thank you very much... they showered with thousands of memories which will never retire. You know the end is coming for that group sooner or later. You always hope they can give you more of those magical moments, but if that's the end of it, then I'm more than thankful.

xellos88330
04-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Hmmm, okay... how about the actual topic's question? :lol

:lmao Forgot about that!

So far, the most painful memory of the Spurs was when Duncan had to start using a brace. It meant this run is coming to an end.

DMC
04-30-2011, 02:05 AM
It hurts since this was one of the last best chances the Spurs had to contend with this core and it was a first round upset to the Grizz. At least we had one truly great game for the Spurs playoffs history in game 5?

It also sucks since there might not even be a season next year, and if its anything like 1999 it could drain the veterans' legs since it was a jam-packed schedule.

The Spurs had an almost legendary season and it looked like they were finally going to finish healthy and then Duncan went down with his ankle and Manu went down in the last game of the regular season :depressed:depressed. Dice also tweaked his leg throughout the season and all three of these guys got banged up in the playoffs pretty good, including Duncan tweaking his hurt ankle.

The Spurs mojo was starting to lose steam after they lost the best record in the league in arguably humiliating fashion and also lost the coveted health advantage they were monitoring for.

Like what Barkley said...if the Spurs matched up with the Hornets they'd be going to the 2nd round...the Grizz were just a bad match-up even without Rudy Gay. They had a size and athleticism advantage for just about every play on the court.
The truth is that it wasn't one of the best chances. It just seemed that way. This should temper a few of us against the notion of up tempo offense vs solid defense.

TJastal
04-30-2011, 02:06 AM
I'd say this is probably the last chance the Spurs had of ever having a healthy Ginobili for 81 games in the regular season and a semi-healthy Duncan. That's what pisses me off the most about this season. Ginobili was FINALLY healthy and the Ginobili we all Spurs fans loved---and he sprains his elbow on the FINAL game of the regular season.

It's almost fitting in a way that the Phoenix Suns doomed the Spurs from the begining in Round 1 :depressed

Don't ever question Pop's decision to play Manu in the final game. You do not question around here, just bow your head and pay allegiance.

vednam
04-30-2011, 02:15 AM
I thought the Spurs were the best team in the league in 2006 and the Mavs got just enough breaks to pull out the series.

In 2008, I felt certain the Spurs would repeat.

There was the epic opening game of the playoffs with Tim Duncan's 3-pointer (the cherry on top of a dominant 40-15 performance). They wiped out a Suns team that was supposed to have the tools to beat them in five games.

Then came the Hornets. It was a bad matchup for the Spurs and some of the team's flaws (age and lack of offensive weapons) were becoming apparent. Still, the Spurs battled back and pulled out the series. Tony Parker was playing some of his best basketball. He was matching Chris Paul point-for-point, and it was when Parker starting guarding Paul (as opposed to Bowen) that the tide began to turn. I think Game 7 of that series was the last vintage Spurs game we witnessed. Clutch defense, Manu and Tony hitting timely shots, and role players stepping up in big moments.

Then the Spurs went down in 5 against the Lakers. I still don't quite understand how that happened. I think a healthy Ginobili would have made the difference. The Spurs just didn't have enough offensive weapons to overcome Manu's erratic play. A lack of youth and energy was also becoming a real problem as the Lakers' scrubs were getting all the loose balls and making all the hustle plays. It also became clear that Timmy was slipping (although the 2008 Duncan was still vastly superior to the current version). A healthy Ginobili would have been enough to get past a Lakers team that still hadn't quite matured, and I think the Spurs would have had at least a 50/50 shot against Boston.

Cane
04-30-2011, 02:18 AM
The truth is that it wasn't one of the best chances. It just seemed that way. This should temper a few of us against the notion of up tempo offense vs solid defense.

I didn't say that it was one of the best chances, but imo this was one of the last best chances until the starters ran into health problems. And that doesn't mean it was a great chance either but securing HCA is one hell of an improvement over last year's finish and it looked like they were finally going to finish healthy as well.

The Spurs lack of size and athleticism are imo the biggest weaknesses beyond health and age; they don't have a real back up SF, rely on small 3 guard lineups, and Blair/Bonner just won't cut it especially together on the court.

vednam
04-30-2011, 02:20 AM
An interesting thing about the Big 3: they never were all at their peak at the same time.

In 2003-04, Dunca was peaking but Parker and Ginobili were still green.

In 2005-06, Ginobili was at his best, Parker had improved (but not yet peaked), ad Duncan was slightly less than his best due to nagging injuries.

In 2008, Parker was peaking, Duncan was slowly slipping, and Ginobili enjoyed his best regular season (but got hurt in the playoffs)

2007 was the closest we got to seeing them all peaking at once, and even then, I'd say Duncan was not as good as he had been 3-5 years earlier. Also, the 2007 role players weren't as good.

Stringer_Bell
04-30-2011, 02:30 AM
No, as the season started to close the spectre of defeat began to show its ugly fuckin face all up in our soup. Suddenly, we started to play as small as we looked...the sense that we overachieved sort of popped up but I didn't want to believe it or come to terms with it until the 2nd round. But we're not even getting there because of the inconsistency in the 2nd half of the season. The team lost its footing and got outhustled by a younger, hungry team. It happens in all sports, the prize fighter with championships appears to lose his inner fight and the younger guy beats the shit out of him. That's pretty much what happened in this series, for a variety of reasons.

I'm not mad, but I am sad because I thought this was a great group to cheer for but they seem to have been severely mismanaged in at least the last 3rd of the season and the lack of ability to get stops/turning the ball over needlessly bit us in the ass like a fuckin python. As, somewhat, expected. :(

roycrikside
04-30-2011, 02:31 AM
For me 95 will always be the worst. Not even close.

For the Duncan-Ginobili-Parker era, I guess '06 was bad, but you can't really be too bitter about it since they just won the year before and won again the year after. You can't be like a greedy Yankees or Lakers fan and demand to win every year, imo. I'm just not wired that way, at least.

2004 doesn't bother me at all. Never did. I've said all along that Detroit was so tough and so deep and so determined that year, that I never thought a Spurs team that couldn't hit a jumper to save its life would've had a chance against them.

As for 2011, you can't be too down about the year itself, imo. Sure it sucks losing as a 1 to an 8 seed, but they weren't really an 8 seed. They were more like a 5 that tanked to an 8. Over the last 50 games both teams had around the same record. Tbh I think we lost the series in game 1. If we had beaten them with no Manu, it would've really shaken their confidence. Instead we gave them both the series lead and confidence. That last minute of Game 1 was the most critical of the whole series.

The point about it being the last memory for Tim-Manu-Tony is just sad. Whenever I think about them I'll always think about '03-'05-07 before I ever think of negative stuff.

The Spurs won four titles. That's nothing to sneeze at. The last 30 years it's pretty much been either us, LA, Boston, Chicago, Detroit or Houston. I'm happy with what the team has done.

As for their "window being closed" and all that stuff, I think we found out painfully that happened the day Pop traded Bowen for RJ, the mentally-softest player in Spurs history.

phyzik
04-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Deep down I always knew this was a gimick team. Not terribly disappointed at all. Sure it sucks only because now we have to share the same shitted bed with the Mavs having been a #1 being beat by a #8.

Thats probably the worst part about it for me. Still, I have some consolidation that Memphis was no gimick team like the Warriors where. Spurs where the gimick team in this series.

DrSteffo
04-30-2011, 02:51 AM
Bad but far from the worst. Deep inside I never really trusted RJ and Bonner and Duncan cannot carry this team anymore. I hate this but it is not surprising at all. I am having some beer now and feeling quite good.

Marcus Bryant
04-30-2011, 03:06 AM
Spurs fans have had it damn good.

If you think this is rough the 1979, 1990, 1991, and 1995 playoffs are calling.

2001, 2004, and 2006 were all worse than this. A little luck and they could have had two more titles out of those playoffs.

I remember when the playoffs meant a first round exit, perhaps second if they got the right matchup as the Spurs were a bit player in some other franchise's history. Now the Memphis whatevers are going to memorialize this playoff series as the high point in it's franchise history.

timtonymanu
04-30-2011, 03:27 AM
Not at all. This team didn't look the same post ASB. When the 6 game losing streak happened, I knew it was over.

Also, our defense was average and we relied on the 3 pt shot too much. Those are recipes for disaster.

I'm just angry that the Lakers have HCA in the West again.

temujin
04-30-2011, 05:45 AM
1979, no doubt.

It was pretty clear that no ABA team could win an NBA title any time soon.

This year? Bonner and Jefferson and a 6'6'' center?
Come on!

Capt Bringdown
04-30-2011, 05:58 AM
I still can't get my head around '06. Part of me will never forgive Manu for that. The one's where you beat yourself are the hardest to reckon with.
'06 followed by '79, where we blew a 3-1 lead. I'm not sure we could've beaten Seattle for the title, with DJ's Ice-melting defense.

ManuSupraTurbo
04-30-2011, 07:43 AM
This year has to be the toughest for me because I'm starting to see the future isn't so bright. Freaken depressing!!

CubanMustGo
04-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Spurs fans have had it damn good.

If you think this is rough the 1979, 1990, 1991, and 1995 playoffs are calling.

2001, 2004, and 2006 were all worse than this. A little luck and they could have had two more titles out of those playoffs.

I remember when the playoffs meant a first round exit, perhaps second if they got the right matchup as the Spurs were a bit player in some other franchise's history. Now the Memphis whatevers are going to memorialize this playoff series as the high point in it's franchise history.

This. Anyone who remotely thinks this is the worst exit for the Spurs has utterly no perspective or knowledge of what a true playoff disaster this team used to be.

We all knew the team's lack of D and over-reliance on the three ball would keep them from going anywhere this year.

pjjrfan
04-30-2011, 08:19 AM
79 and 95 because after those losses, I always felt like we would never get another shot. After 99 it's all been gravy, sure it hurts but not like those 2 years because now I got 4 title dvds to fall back on and knowing that this franchise had a great run.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 08:41 AM
I still can't get my head around '06. Part of me will never forgive Manu for that. The one's where you beat yourself are the hardest to reckon with.
'06 followed by '79, where we blew a 3-1 lead. I'm not sure we could've beaten Seattle for the title, with DJ's Ice-melting defense.

Part of me will never forgive you for blaming 2006 on Manu. The fact that they had a 6'6" guard trying to make a defensive play on a 7'1" power forward at the rim at the end of a game 7 should be self-explanatory.

Rick18
04-30-2011, 08:56 AM
If this series had ended after Game 4 - and in particular that Battier 3 where Manu stood there - it would be up there. But to have Game 5 - probably one of, if not the last great playoff moment - and then to bust their asses all of Game 6 the way they did, it makes it not as tough to handle.

Spurs Brazil
04-30-2011, 06:30 PM
i thought we would get farther, but the writing was on the wall... It's always tough, but '04 and '06 i thought we had a much better shot, so the disappointment was bigger.

+1

SpursDynasty
04-30-2011, 07:11 PM
I've followed the Spurs since 95. I remember once watching Robinson get worked up by Olajuwon after that incredible regular season as MVP, and that sucked.

I remember losing to the Suns back in 2000 without TD, that sucked.

I remember losing to the Lakers two years in a row (2001-2002) in what felt like a seemingly inevitable mountain to climb, that sucked.

I remember the .4 second shot, that fucking sucked.

I remember the Ginobili foul, that fucking sucked.

I remember the 08 playoffs, were Manu played on one ankle, that really really sucked.

I remember the 09 playoffs, were TP and Duncan were the only contributors to a shit team with a shit roster, that sucked.

I remember the 10 playoffs, when we were swept, I still have no words for that tbh.

And now this, 2011 playoffs; first round, getting knocked off by the Grizzlies.

IMO, it has to be this year.

We had a dominant regular season, winning 61 games. Looked primed for a deep playoff run until the latter part of the regular season began to show signs that this Spurs team would have to face some adversity to win number 5.

All in all, this is a really disappointing season. More disappointing then the rest.

Here's to a great run, but a bitter end. :toast

There have been many disappointing moments in the last decade, but in my opinion, 2001 and 2002 losses against the Lakers were the hardest moments to take, simply because those Laker teams that beat us when on to win the championship.

When a team eliminates you and then goes on to get eliminated themselves, it softens the blow.

2004-the 0.4 shot-Spurs were legit title contenders. Lakers beat us but were exposed in the Finals as lucky and fake.

2006-Manu's foul on Dirk and uncalled Dirk on Duncan foul at the end of regulation-Spurs again were legit title contenders. Again, Dallas beat us, but were exposed in the Finals as lucky and fake.

2008-I think letting Game 1 vs. the Lakers slip away, and letting Game 5 slip away, were hard to take, yet again, the Spurs were legit title contenders here. But, eliminated by Boston in the Finals, softened the blow. The Lakers were not real contenders this year by any stretch.

2009 was just a plain horrible year. So not too disappointing to lose the first round considering the roster we had.

2010-we got swept by Phoenix, but what ever happened to that team? Oh yeah, nothing. Didn't some no-name make highlights and 15 minutes of fame for having a big fourth quarter? Again, not too disappointing to take.

2011-eliminated by Memphis but not too disappointing, despite the majority of fans thinking this is the end of an era. The Spurs played hard and very close for 5 out of the 6 games, and if not for Battier three in one game, a Randolph three in another, and careless turnovers in Game 6, the Spurs would be playing OKC. We all know Memphis has no shot whatsoever at the championship, so again, nothing too disappointing.

As I stated, the hardest moments to go through for Spurs fans, without a doubt, 2001 and 2002 when the Lakers dominated us in the playoffs. But of course, we still put that behind us with preventing their 4-peat in 2003 and making Kobe and Derek Fisher cry. Oh, and since that time in May 2003, the Spurs have won 3 championships, and the post-Shaq Lakers, only two. We're still ahead of them even 8 years later.

So in conclusion, I'm content.

DMC
04-30-2011, 07:14 PM
I didn't say that it was one of the best chances, but imo this was one of the last best chances until the starters ran into health problems. And that doesn't mean it was a great chance either but securing HCA is one hell of an improvement over last year's finish and it looked like they were finally going to finish healthy as well.

The Spurs lack of size and athleticism are imo the biggest weaknesses beyond health and age; they don't have a real back up SF, rely on small 3 guard lineups, and Blair/Bonner just won't cut it especially together on the court.
I guess I thought that "last best" meant "best".

The injuries late played a larger role than people are allowing for, but those happen. This team is only a competitive at the very top of their game, they have no room for error.

WildcardManu
04-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I still say if we had a long athletic 3 and a taller version of Blair, things would have turned out differently.

TDfan2007
04-30-2011, 08:23 PM
2006 was the worst...by far. That Spurs team was incredible and would have easily killed Phoenix and Miami in the proceeding rounds. We would have finally had our repeat.

This year's loss I can accept more because this team was going nowhere championship-wise. If we somehow got by Memphis, OKC would have manhandled us in 5 games at best. Timmy was hurt, Manu was hurt, and our role players suck under pressure. Not a good combination.

Chomag
04-30-2011, 08:26 PM
It's the wort for me to take becuase it solidifies for me that we are at the end.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 08:44 PM
I still say if we had a long athletic 3 and a taller version of Blair, things would have turned out differently.

All they needed was their best player in game 1.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
04-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Part of me will never forgive you for blaming 2006 on Manu. The fact that they had a 6'6" guard trying to make a defensive play on a 7'1" power forward at the rim at the end of a game 7 should be self-explanatory.

I don't blame Manu for anything - we all make mistakes - but aren't you forgetting that we were up 3 and there was no need for defensive play anywhere but outside the 3pt line?

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't blame Manu for anything - we all make mistakes - but aren't you forgetting that we were up 3 and there was no need for defensive play anywhere but outside the 3pt line?

If you don't blame Manu for anything, then perhaps you shouldn't say things like "I'll never forgive him for that series".

And no, I remember that game. Manu had just hit a three from the side. My point is the more important one: all three centers sat on the bench. That game wasn't about Manu making one foul, because the Spurs should have been preparing for the Suns after about five games with their full roster.

NickiRasgo
05-01-2011, 03:21 AM
Yeah. It hurts.

bighappy
05-01-2011, 04:15 AM
this sucks, but we had to many holes. i didnt think we would make it to finales. it sucks but for me its not like are playoffs lose to portland Daves rookie year or when golden state kick are ass . that loses to houston in 95, losing to the lakers hell any losts to the lakers and dallas sucks ass.

Flex9050
05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
First- 0.4, without a doubt.
Second- Manu fouls Dirk.
Third- '95 Rockets series.

Leetonidas
05-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Most of us knew we weren't going to win the title with our gimmick offense, only those who were delusional or in denial thought we had a realistic shot at winning the title.

This isn't the worst moment, not by a long shot. Ginobili's foul is easily the worst of preventable downfalls because there is no doubt in my mind if that foul hadn't taken place, the Spurs assrape the Heat in 5 games.

clambake
05-01-2011, 10:41 AM
very touching obituary.

VBM
05-01-2011, 10:58 AM
The Spurs/Rockets series will always be the worst. David Robinson's legacy will unfortunately be intertwined with Hakeem taking him to the woodshed. While other bigs (namely Shaq) suffered the same fate, Shaq redeemed himself by spearheading 3 titles with the Lakers. By the time Robinson won his first ship in 99, Duncan was the main man.

LavaLamp
05-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Sadly, there will not be a next season: http://bit.ly/lrWN2i The Bible reveals that May 21, 2011 is Judgment Day.

Silver&Black Warrior
05-01-2011, 01:57 PM

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!! :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-01-2011, 02:03 PM
This will easily be known as one of the worst but it's not the absoulte worst compared to some like the Manu foul on Dirk.

cornbread
05-01-2011, 02:52 PM
For me it's not even in the same conversation as the worst moments because I had managed expectations for this Munchkinland/Suns inspired team.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2011, 02:53 PM
The Spurs/Rockets series will always be the worst. David Robinson's legacy will unfortunately be intertwined with Hakeem taking him to the woodshed. While other bigs (namely Shaq) suffered the same fate, Shaq redeemed himself by spearheading 3 titles with the Lakers. By the time Robinson won his first ship in 99, Duncan was the main man.

Meh. Rockets had way more talent and could double and triple team Robinson, and his numbers were still amazing. He has nothing to be ashamed of. Other than that one series, David owned Hakeem over their careers.

phxspurfan
05-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Meh. Rockets had way more talent and could double and triple team Robinson, and his numbers were still amazing. He has nothing to be ashamed of. Other than that one series, David owned Hakeem over their careers.

But Hakeem was the better overall player than DRob. The championships speak for themselves. ::stirpot

I know, I was a Knick fan and watched him dominate our best team in '94.

davethedope
05-02-2011, 03:01 AM
All they needed was their best player in game 1.

Totally agree. You fans can't see the forest for the trees. Sure
you had a bad match up, but had you had Manu in game one, won,
I'm sure you could've closed out a 7th game. No shame in that. And
playing OKC in the semis might have turned out well etc.

It's little things which make all the difference. Think of it like
this, Green Bay Packers wouldn't have won the Super Bowl this
year if the Giants had placed one punt at the end of the game in the
right place.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-02-2011, 03:09 AM
i was born into a spurs family so as young as i remember late 80's yea this is very hard and sad because of the potential and the frustration from knowing we could have done so much better with what we had to work with.

in fact i think 50% of the nba coaching staff as a whole, would have done better in the playoffs with this team. coaching was a major fail and will only continue unless 99% of sanantonio wakes up and realizes this is no the same POP. i would say its pretty bad as a spurs fan...

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-02-2011, 03:12 AM
Its tough when you follow each game so closely and dissect everything to the point where you think you understand it, then things change and you cannot explain it.

This year is not so bad, probably because I have other things going on in my life that take priority, and I have put games in general into perspective. I was a sports nut for quite some time and very competitive in whatever I did, but as I grew older and my kids grew up, I started seeing things differently. These days I am happy with a decent match up, some wings and a cold one. We win, that's great, I get some yelling and fist pumping in and go on a week high. We lose, I feel it for a few days and finally I move on. In the past, I was a bastard to get along with for weeks after a loss.

:toast i respect this honest post
and i feel like im going through the same process slowly lol

ynh
05-02-2011, 03:28 AM
You guys definitly got some bad breaks.. but it did come close to evening out.. the manu foul and the fisher shot were bad breaks.. but the double off of horry by sheed was a good break. Shit evens out. That is part of basketball.. when two teams are close it is a good or bad break the decides the series.

BTW.. in responce to something on the first page.. If you actually cried for three days after the spurs got eliminated one year you either have really deep issues or you are being far too dramatic in the way you are stating that you are a fan.

I've been a die hard Piston and Wings fan all my life.. and, although it sucked, I sure as hell wasn't crying when the Devils, Spurs, or Penguins beat us in the finals.

ynh
05-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Also have some pride.. you were without Manu in the first game.. true.. But lets not forget that the Grizz played the entire series without one of their best players as well. The idea that if you had Manu for the first game would of won you the series is being in complete denial as to why you lost the series. Unless of course you think Manu would provide some really good post defense on Randolp and Gasol.