PDA

View Full Version : Nothing New- Different Year, Same Questionable Decisions

MaNu4Tres
04-30-2011, 04:15 AM
I remember a time when Pop made decisions primarily based on defense (98'-05'). As a result, these teams tended to overachieve with this philosophy being the primary staple. Leading them to three titles by 2005.

Unfortunately, something died the following season....

The part of Pop's brain that prioritized defense.

Unfortunately for the Spurs and their fans, Pop has never recovered. He's made some pretty questionable decisions pretty much every playoff run besides 2007.

*Just a friendly reminder: 07' was a year when the league was really watered down (compared to 08'-now; and before that Pistons (03'-05')-Lakers (99'-04') were very formidable and comparable to the elite teams today). The only viable threat in 2007 got kicked out of the 1st round. Which was partially why the Spurs were able to get a ring with an untalented roster.

Moving on...

Here's some year to year evidence of Pop's brain steadily decaying.

2006- Small-ball vs. Dallas- Big piece of the 05' ship sat to rot on the bench (Nazr)- Defense and rebound suffered because of it. As we all know, defense and rebounding was a huge staple in the 99',03' and 05' championship title runs. Ultimately, Spurs weren't able to beat or stop the Mavs. Even though I believe they would have in 6 games had Nazr been a part of it.

2007- Spurs won a championship in one of the most watered down NBA seasons of the past 20 years. This championship season lead to the front office becoming wrongfully content on bringing back the same over-achieving team instead of trying to build on the 07' team talent-wise. (IIRC- I believe they signed Vaughn and Bonner to extensions in the first week of free agency and carelessly used Scola's rights to get rid of the carcass of Jackie Butler.)

2008- Spurs grind their way to the WCF vs. Lakers- Pop elects to sit Bowen more than usual. At the same time, Pop matches Odom with Udoka and puts Finley at SF to try to enhance the offensive output. Even though Odom lived on the offensive glass, Pop continued to go small. All while sitting their best perimeter defender (Bowen) and post defender (Kurt Thomas) majority of the series. Spurs defense then goes to shit and Spurs get abused on the boards just like 2006. Spurs lose again.

2009- True hangover from the mistaken 2007 off-season- Very untalented team that had no real championship aspirations. Pop still couldn't get away from shooting his own team in the foot by playing Vaughn, Finley and Bonner over Hill, Bowen and Thomas/Gooden. Do I need to explain how Bowen, Hill and Thomas could have been better options than Vaughn, Finley and Bonner? I think not.

2010- Pop elects to not give Hairston or Temple a chance to build on their success in the regular season. And no I'm not talking about 2011 Garrett Temple, Temple in 2010 was very productive; Hairston as well (especially on the glass and the defensive end). Pop elected to stick with the atrocious play of Mason and Bogans hoping for the "law of averages" theory to materialize. It never did. That decision ended up burning the Spurs in the end, Spurs had no bench because of it. Had Pop given Hairston and Temple a real opportunity to build on their regular season success later in the year, they would have been ready to contribute come playoff time when Mason and Bogans continued to suck. At the same time, Bonner-ball was still a staple in Pop's offensive minded philosophy and Spurs lost once again.

2011- Splitters situation ( I don't think I need to explain). Overplaying the hell out of Bonner when it matters most.

So if you can count, that's five out of the last six years where Pop made very questionable decisions. In my opinion and likely many others, he shot his own team in the foot in each of these five years.

objective
04-30-2011, 04:19 AM
Don't forget Jefferson.

Seriously, Pop said in the offseason and I made a point of it, that if RJ hadn't agreed to do drills with Pop then the Spurs wouldn't have kept him.

What does that say . . .

Hey, if a guy has to do remedial drills just to get you to consider bringing him back because his performance was god awful . . . don't bring him back.

That's on Pop as much as RC.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 04:21 AM
And you didn't even touch RJ...

objective
04-30-2011, 04:23 AM
More specific things :

The Scola trade

2008 - game 1 against LA, up by 20 with 6 minutes to go in the third, Pop pulls Bowen after he picks up his 3rd (!) foul. That was the end of it and shattered Pop and Bowen's relationship because of Pop. There's a reason a 10-day scrub was allowed to have Bowen's number, and it's because of Pop and his grudges.

Ian Mahinmi - never given a chance. And with Dallas this year had moments in games, including 4th quarters of good play and on occasion was even put ahead of Haywood in the rotation.

Hill and the infamous saying, "These playoffs aren't for George Hill"

TE
04-30-2011, 04:24 AM

I noticed that too. :lol

IknowU
04-30-2011, 04:26 AM
I think someone needs to step up and take a stance against Pop.

If anyone watches House M.D. does Pop not remind you of House?

Theres so many similarites between the character and Pop. Its being replicated on tv screen into reality enacted by Pop.

MaNu4Tres
04-30-2011, 04:27 AM

98% of my point is based on coaching decisions, not collective front-office financial decisions obviously.

And I don't think I need to go over my opinion on the R.J's situation. If so, I'll just copy and paste from another thread.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 04:32 AM
98% of my point is based on coaching decisions, not collective front-office financial decisions obviously.

And I don't think I need to go over my opinion on the R.J. If so, I'll just copy and paste from another thread.

Fair enough

ElNono
04-30-2011, 04:33 AM
The only thing I would add is the Anderson situation also... who was basically relegated to the bench post-injury never to see the court again, and we really didn't have any other SF ready in case RJ sucked (which he obviously did)...

TE
04-30-2011, 04:34 AM

Theres so many similarites between the character and Pop. Its being replicated on tv screen into reality enacted by Pop.

Damn, I never thought of that.

Good one.

:tu

Pop does seem like House.

objective
04-30-2011, 04:34 AM
Hairston could have just as easily played over RJ last year

Pop could have easily force-fed minutes to fat Anderson over the last 35 or so games that Anderson was available to have an emergency alternative to RJ come the playoffs. RJ's production was already declining plus he had his terrible playoff history with the Spurs.

RJ and Pop's coaching regarding him is on the table.

SpurSpurSpurs
04-30-2011, 04:39 AM
We all know that RJ plays run and gun and that he basically need a pass-first PG playing with him which is not what the Spurs is or have. You can't blame him for what he's not. It was the FO who thought they could change him in to a player they want. It didn't happen, so stop blaming RJ. He's passive yes most of the time in his 2 year stay, I know, I saw it with my own eyes, but given the chance that he plays his game, he produces. It's more like asking Tony not to shoot and be like Nash/Kidd/Stockton. That will not happen because Pop and the other coaches know that TP is a score first type of player. He let's him play what he does best. RJ? Do I still have to answer this?

To make it short, _____ fucked most of the seasons of Spurs because he knows what's best for the team.

If I'm wrong, maybe I should not watch basketball anymore.

rascal
04-30-2011, 04:44 AM
The roster wasn't good enough for a legit title run.
The blame goes directly to the front office.

That is the problem and was all year long for those who wanted to see the spurs add a legit big.

Playing Bonner mcDyess and Blair as the core of the frontline with Duncan can't matchup with other playoff frontlines.

It was too easy to score in the paint against San Antonio.

MaNu4Tres
04-30-2011, 04:44 AM
It was the FO who thought they could change him in to a player they want..

He did change and did well for about 80-85% of the regular season and the first 2 playoff games.

Unfortunately, he was complete dog shit the past 4 critical playoff games and contributed to the Spurs abrupt demise.

He was so so so bad. I can't forgive his past 4 games for anything. Even if he played well majority of the year.

will_spurs
04-30-2011, 04:48 AM
He was so so so bad. I can't forgive his past 4 games for anything. Even if he played well majority of the year.

I think you're missing the point. Nobody is saying he didn't play like shit. He sure did. The point is, RJ will never play well on the Spurs, unless they turn into the Nash-lead Suns like in the first half of this season. That's it. That's all there is to it. The experiment has failed and hopefully there's a team with high tempo offense who might be interested. But with that contract, it's a long shot. The Spurs are stuck with a guy who doesn't fit for at least a couple more years, when his expiring contract will finally become a valuable trade chip.

SpurSpurSpurs
04-30-2011, 05:01 AM
He did change and did well for about 80-85% of the regular season and the first 2 playoff games.

Didn't our Spurs became a run and gun team most of the time this season? And they have this alley-oops play for RJ (which I think is the only play they drew up for him, correct me if I'm wrong) that works perfectly. But now, we set up half court plays, didn't run more than usual and that means less production from RJ.

Unfortunately, he was complete dog shit the past 4 critical playoff games and contributed to the Spurs abrupt demise.

The 4 critical playoff games? We don't know what the coaches want every game, what play they want to run and everything, but I'm pretty sure he didn't receive enough touches or plays for him to get going.

Think of it this way, if a play is drawn for someone then he messes it up and creates a play for himself but he wasn't able to do good/score, what would you think about him? What would the coaches do to him? Me? I'd be happy for him doing that even if it fails because I know he want to get things going for himself, but I'm just me, just a fan, my opinion is not as important compared to the Spurs coaches.

SpurSpurSpurs
04-30-2011, 05:04 AM
I think you're missing the point. Nobody is saying he didn't play like shit. He sure did. The point is, RJ will never play well on the Spurs, unless they turn into the Nash-lead Suns like in the first half of this season. That's it. That's all there is to it. The experiment has failed and hopefully there's a team with high tempo offense who might be interested. But with that contract, it's a long shot. The Spurs are stuck with a guy who doesn't fit for at least a couple more years, when his expiring contract will finally become a valuable trade chip.

This. Thank you will_spurs.

"Good player, bad fit."

IknowU
04-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Damn, I never thought of that.

Good one.

Pop does seem like House.

House = Pop

Cuddy = Bonner

Taub = Blair

Foreman = Dice

Wilson = Splitter

13 = Manu

:downspin:

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 08:24 AM
2007- Spurs won a championship in one of the most watered down NBA seasons of the past 20 years. This championship season lead to the front office becoming wrongfully content on bringing back the same over-achieving team instead of trying to build on the 07' team talent-wise. (IIRC- I believe they signed Vaughn and Bonner to extensions in the first week of free agency and carelessly used Scola's rights to get rid of the carcass of Jackie Butler.)

There's a part of the above that I never considered before. It's possible that the trade wasn't made because Jackie Butler sucked, but because the Spurs really wanted to embrace the "smallball over bigs" philosophy and save some money at the same time.

Considering how quickly the Spurs slowed it down once the playoffs came around, does it seem like they only played the fun and gun offense to boost RJ's numbers and justify re-signing him?

purist
04-30-2011, 08:36 AM
i beg to differ with the general sentiment of this thread. when you look at the whole of the season and what the Spurs had on the roster, I believe they overachieved. I believe Pop knew this team was gonna need all the help it could get if it was to make a playoff run and that's why he uncharacteristically went for the gaudy regular season record to ensure a high seed. What he didn't and couldn't foresee was a Memphis team that simply outmatched the Spurs in the low post.

TJastal
04-30-2011, 08:42 AM
i beg to differ with the general sentiment of this thread. when you look at the whole of the season and what the Spurs had on the roster, I believe they overachieved. I believe Pop knew this team was gonna need all the help it could get if it was to make a playoff run and that's why he uncharacteristically went for the gaudy regular season record to ensure a high seed. What he didn't and couldn't foresee was a Memphis team that simply outmatched the Spurs in the low post.

How could he have known his Ginger would let him down????? I know.. its truly mystifiying.

And his punishment next year? He's not allowed to go out for sandwiches after games.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 08:51 AM

There should be a Pop apologist of the year award. Never did I think someone would come in a day after a historic playoff upset, perhaps the second biggest of all time and try to tell people that the Spurs were an overachieving team all due to the coach.

Harry Callahan
04-30-2011, 08:52 AM
The roster wasn't good enough for a legit title run.
The blame goes directly to the front office.

That is the problem and was all year long for those who wanted to see the spurs add a legit big.

Playing Bonner mcDyess and Blair as the core of the frontline with Duncan can't matchup with other playoff frontlines.

It was too easy to score in the paint against San Antonio.

Can the front office magically make quality bigs show up on the Spurs doorstep when they draft at the end of the first round year after year? The highest draft pick SA has had since Duncan arrived was the 20th pick. The 20th pick!

The squandering of Scola is the one really big mistake the FO made and it cost them too. Scola has his warts too (smallish, no defensive ability or desire).

San Antonio has had four lottery picks in the last 23 years (Willie Anderson, David Robinson, Sean Elliott, and Duncan).

Bottom line, Duncan got old and Manu got hurt. End of story.

The ability of SA to win 50-60 games the last 14 years prevented restocking this roster with enough top tier players. Tony Parker and Manu became All Stars against all odds to allow the last three title runs along with some shrewd player acquisitions outside of the draft.

The team Memphis defeated last night is a team that plays very well together as a group, but is not a championship level team largely because of Duncan's severe decline this year and as you said a lack of defense inside especially.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 09:06 AM
lol lack of talent. The front office can sure magically make quality bigs disappear from the roster. Nazr is still in an NBA rotation for a playoff team. The Spurs didn't need more stars, they needed basic things like backup point guards and centers and consistently failed to attempt to get or develop those things. Some of the guys that tore the Spurs up the last six games were available to the Spurs in the draft or via free-agency.

Bottom line, the Spurs got small, Duncan and Splitter are well rested for the summer.

SA210
04-30-2011, 09:18 AM
I remember a time when Pop made decisions primarily based on defense (98'-05'). As a result, these teams tended to overachieve with this philosophy being the primary staple. Leading them to three titles by 2005.

Unfortunately, something died the following season....

The part of Pop's brain that prioritized defense.

Unfortunately for the Spurs and their fans, Pop has never recovered. He's made some pretty questionable decisions pretty much every playoff run besides 2007.

*Just a friendly reminder: 07' was a year when the league was really watered down (compared to 08'-now; and before that Pistons (03'-05')-Lakers (99'-04') were very formidable and comparable to the elite teams today). The only viable threat in 2007 got kicked out of the 1st round. Which was partially why the Spurs were able to get a ring with an untalented roster.

Moving on...

Here's some year to year evidence of Pop's brain steadily decaying.

2006- Small-ball vs. Dallas- Big piece of the 05' ship sat to rot on the bench (Nazr)- Defense and rebound suffered because of it. As we all know, defense and rebounding was a huge staple in the 99',03' and 05' championship title runs. Ultimately, Spurs weren't able to beat or stop the Mavs. Even though I believe they would have in 6 games had Nazr been a part of it.

2008- Spurs grind their way to the WCF vs. Lakers- Pop elects to sit Bowen more than usual. At the same time, Pop matches Odom with Udoka and puts Finley at SF to try to enhance the offensive output. Even though Odom lived on the offensive glass, Pop continued to go small. All while sitting their best perimeter defender (Bowen) and post defender (Kurt Thomas) majority of the series. Spurs defense then goes to shit and Spurs get abused on the boards just like 2006. Spurs lose again.

2009- True hangover from the mistaken 2007 off-season- Very untalented team that had no real championship aspirations. Pop still couldn't get away from shooting his own team in the foot by playing Vaughn, Finley and Bonner over Hill, Bowen and Thomas/Gooden. Do I need to explain how Bowen, Hill and Thomas could have been better options than Vaughn, Finley and Bonner? I think not.

2010- Pop elects to not give Hairston or Temple a chance to build on their success in the regular season. And no I'm not talking about 2011 Garrett Temple, Temple in 2010 was very productive; Hairston as well (especially on the glass and the defensive end). Pop elected to stick with the atrocious play of Mason and Bogans hoping for the "law of averages" theory to materialize. It never did. That decision ended up burning the Spurs in the end, Spurs had no bench because of it. Had Pop given Hairston and Temple a real opportunity to build on their regular season success later in the year, they would have been ready to contribute come playoff time when Mason and Bogans continued to suck. At the same time, Bonner-ball was still a staple in Pop's offensive minded philosophy and Spurs lost once again.

2011- Splitters situation ( I don't think I need to explain). Overplaying the hell out of Bonner when it matters most.

So if you can count, that's five out of the last six years where Pop made very questionable decisions. In my opinion and likely many others, he shot his own team in the foot in each of these five years.

Email this to Holt

TJastal
04-30-2011, 09:25 AM
lol lack of talent. The front office can sure magically make quality bigs disappear from the roster. Nazr is still in an NBA rotation for a playoff team. The Spurs didn't need more stars, they needed basic things like backup point guards and centers and consistently failed to attempt to get or develop those things. Some of the guys that tore the Spurs up the last six games were available to the Spurs in the draft or via free-agency.

Bottom line, the Spurs got small, Duncan and Splitter are well rested for the summer.

And how long have spurs fans been clamoring for a defensive wing? They get one finally (Hairston), put a shitload of time & money into him, then let his ass go for nothing.

MaNu4Tres
04-30-2011, 11:21 AM
There should be a Pop apologist of the year award. Never did I think someone would come in a day after a historic playoff upset, perhaps the second biggest of all time and try to tell people that the Spurs were an overachieving team all due to the coach.

Co-sign

ElNono
04-30-2011, 11:32 AM
The ability of SA to win 50-60 games the last 14 years prevented restocking this roster with enough top tier players. Tony Parker and Manu became All Stars against all odds to allow the last three title runs along with some shrewd player acquisitions outside of the draft.

This is baloney though... Dallas did it. Heck, the Spurs did it when they traded for RJ... who they thought was a top tier player...
What it takes is the realization that you need balsy moves to shake up the roster. We instead insisted on throwing stupid money at the status quo (see Finley, Bonner, Jefferson).

MaNu4Tres
01-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Bump...

The hits keep coming... Any coach with half a brain would realize the team needs Splitter to play 30 minutes a night. Should have happened over a year ago tbh.

TDMVPDPOY
01-22-2012, 01:12 PM
ignorance at his best

remember when he played the vets over rookies, wankers like NVE, FINLEY...who else?

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Didn't our Spurs became a run and gun team most of the time this season? And they have this alley-oops play for RJ (which I think is the only play they drew up for him, correct me if I'm wrong) that works perfectly. But now, we set up half court plays, didn't run more than usual and that means less production from RJ.

The 4 critical playoff games? We don't know what the coaches want every game, what play they want to run and everything, but I'm pretty sure he didn't receive enough touches or plays for him to get going.

Think of it this way, if a play is drawn for someone then he messes it up and creates a play for himself but he wasn't able to do good/score, what would you think about him? What would the coaches do to him? Me? I'd be happy for him doing that even if it fails because I know he want to get things going for himself, but I'm just me, just a fan, my opinion is not as important compared to the Spurs coaches.

RJ shouldn't need a special play just to get alley-oops. It's cause of Parkers passing inability that they need a play.

DesignatedT
01-22-2012, 03:30 PM
:td playing down our title in 07. Please.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Look, at the beginning of this all I thought playing Blair/Bonner together was an absolute "no". That was because I underestimated Splitter. After seeing his potential upside, I now feel the benefits of playing him (starting him) alongside Tim outweighs the negatives of pairing Blair/Bonner together.

Manu off the bench when he returns to assist in the matter, start TP/Kawhi/RJ/Tiago/Tim.

The Truth #6
01-22-2012, 03:39 PM
The 07 title was our weakest. A solid showing for sure, but Dallas would have been tough and at the least was our toughest opponent we would have faced. Titles take some luck every year and the Dallas loss parted the sea for us. Is this debatable?

Back to Pop...I think we all assume he's acting like an idiot but no matter how much alcohol may have ravaged his brain he's still not dumb by any obvious measure. Instead, he's probably just a bitter insecure asshole at times, which really clouds his decision making.

DesignatedT
01-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Starting Splitter could still work. He needs to get 35+ minutes every night. He can handle it (i think)

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 03:59 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, that Pop, imo, knows that benching Blair will probably mean losing whatever production Blair can provide. Pop seems to have faith that Splitter can produce, coming off the bench, and likes to have that secuirty blanket in Splitter, some what similar to having manu starring in his 6th man role.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Sure that logic might make sense if Tiago was getting Manu-type minutes. When a player is getting 20 minutes a game, that player doesn't have the confidence of the coach.

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Sure that logic might make sense if Tiago was getting Manu-type minutes. When a player is getting 20 minutes a game, that player doesn't have the confidence of the coach.

Yea its flawed logic, because of Splitter not getting more minutes. I'm hoping that its just a temporary problem.

MaNu4Tres
01-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Look, at the beginning of this all I thought playing Blair/Bonner together was an absolute "no". That was because I underestimated Splitter. After seeing his potential upside, I now feel the benefits of playing him (starting him) alongside Tim outweighs the negatives of pairing Blair/Bonner together.

Manu off the bench when he returns to assist in the matter, start TP/Kawhi/RJ/Tiago/Tim.

If you start Splitter, Pop can still get creative to avoid the handicapped duo when the game is competitive.

I.E: - Start Splitter/ Duncan
- Sub Blair for Splitter around 6 minute mark
- Sub Splitter for Duncan around 2 minute mark
- Start 2nd w/ Splitter/ Blair
-Sub Bonner and Duncan for Blair/Splitter around 8 min.mark
- Sub Splitter for Bonner around 3-4 minute mark.

Repeat for 2nd half

DesignatedT
01-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Exactly. No problem with Splitter coming off the bench if hes still getting 30 plus minutes and ENDING games with TD. That would work just fine.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Which is what makes this all puzzling. When we as fans can see the glaring holes in Pop's logic we need to stop and look at "why". The simple, yet difficult answer is that Pop isn't very high on Tiago.

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Which is what makes this all puzzling. When we as fans can see the glaring holes in Pop's logic we need to stop and look at "why". The simple, yet difficult answer is that Pop isn't very high on Tiago.

I find that hard to believe. I'm more in line with Pop not completely trusting Splitter, and taking his sweet ass time unleashing Splitter. But if what you say has merit, then Pop would need to be fired.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
I find that hard to believe. I'm more in line with Pop not completely trusting Splitter, and taking his sweet ass time unleashing Splitter. But if what you say has merit, then Pop would need to be fired.

JJ, look at the facts only. I know we all try to figure out what we think is right and what should be happening and the reasons why, but in the midst of the guessing game we fail to look for the simple answer; what is actually happening.

Tiago is barely cracking 19MPG. It's not clear that he is even the third big in front of Bonner and he is clearly behind Blair. Pop has repeatedly and publicly down played Tiago's abilities (calling him "blue-collar", saying he isn't "skilled"....). He also says, after looking at the MPG, that Tiago is getting as many minutes as he can possibly get him. Last year, he said "it wouldn't be fair to get Tiago minutes". Then he says "he was injured a lot" when the games played clearly opposes that.

He's not high on him. He doesn't trust him. It all goes together. Will it change? I'm sure we all hope so. It's not that he makes the Spurs surefire contenders, but we all see that he has enough upside to where if it does work, they will have a better chance.

Spurs Brazil
01-22-2012, 04:38 PM
If you start Splitter, Pop can still get creative to avoid the handicapped duo when the game is competitive.

I.E: - Start Splitter/ Duncan
- Sub Blair for Splitter around 6 minute mark
- Sub Splitter for Duncan around 2 minute mark
- Start 2nd w/ Splitter/ Blair
-Sub Bonner and Duncan for Blair/Splitter around 8 min.mark
- Sub Splitter for Bonner around 3-4 minute mark.

Repeat for 2nd half

FkLA
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Hairston and Temple :lmao

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Notice how you are leaving Ian out now :tu

FkLA
01-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Notice how you are leaving Ian out now :tu

OP doesnt mention Ian :tu

Although tbf I wouldnt put Ian in the same boat as those two scrubs.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 04:58 PM
There was a time you did :tu

FkLA
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Malik was a scrub, fringe NBA player at best. I wouldnt put Ian on the same boat as hes having a decent year in Dallas but I dont think he was ever the difference maker ST made him out to be. His defense is nothing special despite his size and athleticism.

jjktkk
01-22-2012, 05:08 PM
JJ, look at the facts only. I know we all try to figure out what we think is right and what should be happening and the reasons why, but in the midst of the guessing game we fail to look for the simple answer; what is actually happening.

Tiago is barely cracking 19MPG. It's not clear that he is even the third big in front of Bonner and he is clearly behind Blair. Pop has repeatedly and publicly down played Tiago's abilities (calling him "blue-collar", saying he isn't "skilled"....). He also says, after looking at the MPG, that Tiago is getting as many minutes as he can possibly get him. Last year, he said "it wouldn't be fair to get Tiago minutes". Then he says "he was injured a lot" when the games played clearly opposes that.

He's not high on him. He doesn't trust him. It all goes together. Will it change? I'm sure we all hope so. It's not that he makes the Spurs surefire contenders, but we all see that he has enough upside to where if it does work, they will have a better chance.

We can speculate if Pop's "not liking him" and "trust" factor, is one and the same. And let me be clear that I'm not trying to justify Pops reasons for not playing Splitter last year, as well as not inserting Splitter in the starting lineup, or Splitter's lack of playing time this year, so far. Just trying to figure out WTF Pop is thinking, in regards to Splitter. Splitter has proven that he deserves to start, or at least get 25 minutes every night.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 05:15 PM
That's my point. Amidst the speculation look at what is and has been actually happening and you will find the answer.

DPG21920
01-22-2012, 05:15 PM
lol fkla just because you recently changed your tune doesn't mean you didn't speak of Ian like Malik.

Capt Bringdown
01-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Bottom line is the Spurs play it safe...

Maybe, maybe not. I rather think they suffer from hubris. Casually tossing away Scola is not a "safe," cautious move, but a very arrogant and reckless one. Same-same with so vigorously turning away from Spursball and adapting small ball instead.

I'm seeing more riverboat gambling and ego-based decisions than cautious moves.

ElNono
01-22-2012, 07:26 PM
You guys just don't watch what Tiago does during practices...

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Manu was the starting sg and mvp on last year's team. He's too good to not start.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 07:34 PM
The 07 title was our weakest. A solid showing for sure, but Dallas would have been tough and at the least was our toughest opponent we would have faced. Titles take some luck every year and the Dallas loss parted the sea for us. Is this debatable?

Back to Pop...I think we all assume he's acting like an idiot but no matter how much alcohol may have ravaged his brain he's still not dumb by any obvious measure. Instead, he's probably just a bitter insecure asshole at times, which really clouds his decision making.

In '07 Pop went back to using real bigs with Oberto. Oberto was important against the Jazz and Cavs.

therealtruth
01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
I mentioned this in another thread, that Pop, imo, knows that benching Blair will probably mean losing whatever production Blair can provide. Pop seems to have faith that Splitter can produce, coming off the bench, and likes to have that secuirty blanket in Splitter, some what similar to having manu starring in his 6th man role.

It makes sense to bring someone of the bench who's good on offense but not defense. But for s.o. who's strength is defense it makes more sense to start. At the start of the game is really where you need your defense.

weebo
01-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Duncan got old and Bowen was traded/retired. That is the single biggest reason the Spurs aren't the Spurs of old. So stop it. This is a team that when they win they do it with their offense and less with their defense.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2012, 09:51 PM

House is usually right.

Sean Cagney
01-22-2012, 10:57 PM
Duncan got old and Bowen was traded/retired. That is the single biggest reason the Spurs aren't the Spurs of old. So stop it. This is a team that when they win they do it with their offense and less with their defense.

Yes sir.