PDA

View Full Version : Bush Official Altered Climate Change Reports

Bandit2981
06-08-2005, 12:30 PM
link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050608/us_nm/environment_climate_dc_5;_ylt=As.spOW_ixhkXA.YN6BD cytrAlMA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A White House official who previously worked for the American Petroleum Institute has repeatedly edited government climate reports in a way that downplays links between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

Philip Cooney, chief of staff for the White House Council on Environmental Quality, made changes to descriptions of climate research that had already been approved by government scientists and their supervisors, the newspaper said, citing internal documents.

The White House denied that Cooney had watered down the impact of global warming.

"That's false," spokesman Scott McClellan said. "The reports are based on the best scientific knowledge that we have at this time."

The newspaper said it had obtained the documents from the Government Accountability Project, a nonprofit group that provides legal help to government whistle-blowers.

The group is representing Rick Piltz, who resigned in March from the office that coordinates government research and issued the documents that Cooney edited, the Times said.

The newspaper said Cooney made handwritten notes on drafts of several reports issued in 2002 and 2003, removing or adjusting language on climate research.

White House officials told the newspaper the changes were part of a normal interagency review of all documents related to global environmental change.

"All comments are reviewed, and some are accepted and some are rejected," Robert Hopkins, a spokesman for the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy told the newspaper.

In a memo sent last week to top officials dealing with climate change at a dozen agencies, Piltz charged that "politicization by the White House" was undermining the credibility and integrity of the science program.

Useruser666
06-08-2005, 12:58 PM
link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050608/us_nm/environment_climate_dc_5;_ylt=As.spOW_ixhkXA.YN6BD cytrAlMA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A White House official who previously worked for the American Petroleum Institute has repeatedly edited government climate reports in a way that downplays links between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming, The New York Times reported on Wednesday.

Philip Cooney, chief of staff for the White House Council on Environmental Quality, made changes to descriptions of climate research that had already been approved by government scientists and their supervisors, the newspaper said, citing internal documents.

The White House denied that Cooney had watered down the impact of global warming.

"That's false," spokesman Scott McClellan said. "The reports are based on the best scientific knowledge that we have at this time."

The newspaper said it had obtained the documents from the Government Accountability Project, a nonprofit group that provides legal help to government whistle-blowers.

The group is representing Rick Piltz, who resigned in March from the office that coordinates government research and issued the documents that Cooney edited, the Times said.

The newspaper said Cooney made handwritten notes on drafts of several reports issued in 2002 and 2003, removing or adjusting language on climate research.

White House officials told the newspaper the changes were part of a normal interagency review of all documents related to global environmental change.

"All comments are reviewed, and some are accepted and some are rejected," Robert Hopkins, a spokesman for the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy told the newspaper.

In a memo sent last week to top officials dealing with climate change at a dozen agencies, Piltz charged that "politicization by the White House" was undermining the credibility and integrity of the science program.

Gee, I wonder why he did it?

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Where's the proof? If he is hiding something I want to know, if he's not hiding something I want to know too.

xrayzebra
06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
The part that you all left out which I like the best: "However, critics said that while all administations have routinely vetted government report, scientific content in such reports should be reviewed by scientists. Climate experts and REPRESENTATIVES OF ENVIRONMENTAL groups". Now you know "Representatives of enviornmental groups" wouldn't try to chage anything, would they.......

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 01:08 PM
The part that you all left out which I like the best: "However, critics said that while all administations have routinely vetted government report, scientific content in such reports should be reviewed by scientists. Climate experts and REPRESENTATIVES OF ENVIRONMENTAL groups". Now you know "Representatives of enviornmental groups" wouldn't try to chage anything, would they.......

I would like to see the documents start to finish before making up my mind. For most monkeys the NYTimes article is enough evidence.

Bandit2981
06-08-2005, 06:39 PM
climate change is not the proper subject to manipulate and fudge up...there can be very serious consequences for all of us if this is taken lightly

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 07:31 PM
climate change is not the proper subject to manipulate and fudge up...there can be very serious consequences for all of us if this is taken lightly
where's the proof it was fudged up?

Bandit2981
06-08-2005, 08:41 PM
where's the proof it was fudged up?
somewhere in the internal documents the Times is using as sources, i dont have them

Nbadan
06-09-2005, 02:47 AM
The proof is in the poodin...HERE is an example of Philip Cooney's revisions...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/06/07/politics/08climategraph.jpg

RandomGuy
06-09-2005, 05:47 AM

and representatives of petroleum producers wouldn't try to influence reporting on global warming, either?

The issue is that the Bush administration is trying to re-interpret scientific data they don't like to suit their own ends, just like they puffed up intel before Iraq.

This is the worst example of the "ends justify the means" mentality that dominates our short-sighted and pedantic adminstration.

2centsworth
06-09-2005, 11:54 AM
The proof is in the poodin...HERE is an example of Philip Cooney's revisions...

Nbadan,

Gotta give it to you for your ability to research. Thanks for the work. However, I don't see a thing wrong with those revisions. Tell me where I'm wrong.

xrayzebra
06-09-2005, 12:29 PM
and representatives of petroleum producers wouldn't try to influence reporting on global warming, either?

The issue is that the Bush administration is trying to re-interpret scientific data they don't like to suit their own ends, just like they puffed up intel before Iraq.

This is the worst example of the "ends justify the means" mentality that dominates our short-sighted and pedantic adminstration.

And then you have this little tidbit:

Washington -- Few scientists fabricate results from scratch or flatly plagiarize the work of others, but some engage in fact-bending or deceit, according to the first largescale survey of scientific misbehavior.

More than 5 percent of scientists answering the confidential questionnair admittred to having tossed out data because it contradicted their previous research or said they had circumvented some human research protections.

Ten percent admitted they had inappropriately included their names or those of others as authors or published research reports.

More than 15 percent admitted they had changed a study's design or results to satisfy a sponsor, or ignored observations because they had a "gut feeling" they were inaccurate.

The study was done by the HealthPartners Research Foundation in Minneapolis and appears in todays issue of the Journal Nature.

The Washington Post

So what we have here is a failure to communicate...... :spin