PDA

View Full Version : The objective assessment

purist
04-30-2011, 08:25 AM
Can't blame anyone for armchairing coaching decisions or personnel moves following a season, but some fans need to keep things in perspective.

why did Pop "abandon" the defensive mentality as some have said? He didn't. He assessed what he had on the roster and adjusted. I think he knew the team was not built like teams of old, so he chose not to try to fit a square peg into a round hole, but instead he tried to keep the team competitive enough to give an aging superstar another chance at a run. He took a calculated risk that earning a high seed would give his team the chance it needed. What he didn't know or couldn't know was that an eighth seed would be as good down low as Memphis was. Timmy just didn't have enough help. And 35 year old TImmy needs more help than 30-year-0ld Timmy.

And, Ian Mahinmi would not, will not, ever be the difference maker. So, please let that ridiculous argument die. Could Tiago, if more fully integrated into the system, have helped more? maybe, but he was still an NBA rookie who can't make free throws. Until he learns to make free throws at a rate of at least 65%, his offensive impact will be limited and his full potential unknown. Who could have helped? Kurt Thomas

So, what did we learn?
Tony Parker can't carry the team
Ginobilli still has it, if he can stay healthy
Tim Duncan is old and has to pick his spots
Antonio McDyess is tough as nails, but old
George Hill is not a starting poing guard, but he is a good combo guard coming off the bench
Gary Neal is fearless
Matt Bonner is a nice role player, but shouldn't be an integral focus of the offense
Dejuan Blair is too short and too fat for his position
Richard Jefferson is there in spurts, but not consistently
James Anderson must stay healthy to live up to potential
Tiago Splitter must learn to make free throws consistently if he is to reach his full potential

Based on what we know, the Spurs need to find another big man (7-footer) to run the offfense through so that TIm can become the weak side rebounder and defender that David Robinson became in his twilight years. Is Splitter that person? Don't know, but regardless, another big who can play in the low past is necessary given he shortcomings of Blair and age of McDyess. Also, need an enforcer type like a Kurt Thomas.

Spurs also need a shut-down perimeter defender (6'7 to 6'9) -- the Bruce Bowen type. I don't think George Hill is the answer. he's good, but not nasty enough.

If Spurs can find these pieces, and I think they're out there, then they might have enough to make another run before TIm retires.

as far as coaching goes, anyone can second guess but it's not really productive. Pop has made more good decisions than bad over his tenure and there is a delicate balance between players and coaches that can either make coaches look really good or really bad. I'd rather take my chances with Pop at the helm than any other coach in the league right now.

The golden era appears to be over, but things could be worse. And, in the end, the franchise brought us four titles, which is a lot more than many teams can say. So rather than turn on Pop or the organization, I say thank you and let's work to put together the best team we can to give Tim another chance at a run. He deserves it.

TJastal
04-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Wow this is shocking. Another Popologist emerges from the woodwork with his rosey colored glasses and spewing garbage opionions trying to minimize the damage that Popovich has wreaked over the past 4 years.

Sorry buddy, these lame excuses might have worked in years past to mask all the flaws, but I think even the old timers are starting to see the reality of the situation.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Some of you guys slay me. As though Pop suddenly looked up when the playoffs started and tried to make due with what was there. I hate to break it to you guys, but Pop chose the roster, approved trades and free-agent signings and set lineups. If the team wasn't built properly, it's because Pop and RC built it that way.

DarrinS
04-30-2011, 09:03 AM
The Spurs were too old, too small, and were just out-played.

It's that simple.

TJastal
04-30-2011, 09:10 AM
The Spurs were too old, too small, and were just out-played.

It's that simple.

Thanks for all the kind words, DarrinS. We did the best we could with what we had, we really did!! Next year, we're thinking of putting Bonner on a new weight program so he can actually defend in the post. And I miight actually play a guard over 6'3". Once in awhile tee-hee.

Pop

Warlord23
04-30-2011, 09:24 AM
No offense, but this is anything but an objective assessment - most of the OP is mostly spin.

He assessed what he had on the roster and adjusted.
It was a roster constructed by Pop and RC, with Pop having arguably the bigger influence. He was the one who extended RJ based on off-season workouts, signed Bonner believing that he could be an effective stretch 4.

Until he (Tiago) learns to make free throws at a rate of at least 65%, his offensive impact will be limited and his full potential unknown.
Good one. How about Matt Bonner's defensive impact being limited due to the fact that he is slow, undersized and can't jump? Didn't stop Pop from playing him 20 minutes.

Matt Bonner is a nice role player, but shouldn't be an integral focus of the offense
There is nothing nice about Matt Bonner. He should not see minutes on a playoff team unless there are wholesale injuries.

Pop has made more good decisions than bad ...
That's like saying Brett Favre has thrown more good passes than bad. Except that both Pop and Favre did their good work early in their careers and basically made mistake after mistake over their last few years. There is a whole another thread devoted to Pop's decisions with small ball, Finley, Bowen, Mason, Bogans, Bonner, Hill and now Splitter. Most of his good decisions are more than 5 years old.

ploto
04-30-2011, 10:07 AM
why did Pop "abandon" the defensive mentality as some have said? He didn't. He assessed what he had on the roster and adjusted. I think he knew the team was not built like teams of old, so he chose not to try to fit a square peg into a round hole...

Pop holds a share of the responsibility for this in the first place.

SA210
04-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Some of you guys slay me. As though Pop suddenly looked up when the playoffs started and tried to make due with what was there. I hate to break it to you guys, but Pop chose the roster, approved trades and free-agent signings and set lineups. If the team wasn't built properly, it's because Pop and RC built it that way.

purist
04-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Hilarious! some of y'all are just freaking funny as hell. Here's my real objective perspective...

Y'all post shit on this forum thinking that anyone actually gives a shit... as though what you think matters to the Spurs front office. You think forums like this are something more than for mere entertainment purposes... and ironically, THAT makes them all the funnier.

So I come in here and post some positive crap about Pop and y'all go all Tony Allen on me. LOL!

Look, I really don't give a shit about the people on the Spurs because I don't know them personally. I just know that after 20 some odd years of following the team they finally won a title and then they won three more, all under Popovich. So, I tend to cut him some slack. I also knew as many of this forum seemed to know that it was a long shot that this team would even compete for a title. You assemble the best team you CAN with the resources you have and give it your best shot. That's what the Spurs did. So why all the vitriol? Because some of y'all act as though you think you're next in line for a front office job or something. Or that you may be the next Marc STein or Tim Legler or something.

YOU'RE NOT an NBA analyst. You're not an expert. Your just a fan like me. But unlike me, you think what you say on this forum really matters in the grand scheme of things. It's funny (to a point) how much you hate on players and coaches, and then on people when they don't agree with you or don't join in the hate.

But then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, as you're breaking down game film in your basement during "off" hours your phone will ring and it will be RC Buford calling to ask your opinion on a European kid with a sweet jumper; or maybe Pop will call to ask your recommendation on when to employ a zone versus man defense; or maybe Matt Bonner will call you to ask for some shooting pointers. It could happen.

Here's hoping it does.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 06:53 PM
:lol objective.

4>0rings
04-30-2011, 06:55 PM
why did Pop "abandon" the defensive mentality as some have said? He didn't. He assessed what he had on the roster and adjusted. I think he knew the team was not built like teams of old, so he chose not to try to fit a square peg into a round hole,
Pop built this shitwagon of a team. It's his fault.

SenorSpur
04-30-2011, 06:56 PM

After all, Pop is not only the head coach, but he's also President of Basketball Operations.

Chomag
04-30-2011, 06:59 PM
This is an objective post? Posting your own opinion then bitching at people becuase they post theirs? I just dont get it...

objective
04-30-2011, 07:05 PM
great, there goes the title for my thread on the Spurs and their future.

Now I gotta come up with something else. :depressed

DMC
04-30-2011, 07:05 PM
The fact is that championship teams acquire franchise players through by hook or by crook. They either tank to get the lottery or they collude to get the known performer.

Other than the teams with lucky picks that develop into all stars, the same few teams always win because they have bargaining power and don't mind luxury tax. Small markets are always going to be behind the curve on that.

purist
04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
This is an objective post? Posting your own opinion then bitching at people becuase they post theirs? I just dont get it...

Lol! youre right, to a point. I posted my opinion, and then others piled on because they didn't agree with my opinion. So in MY opinion, I can bitch at people if I want.

But who F'n cares, really. y'all take this shit way too serious... everything from posts like "is this the worst moment in spurs history"... spurs will suck til 2020... are the spurs the most overrate team in history... blah blah blah.

if you're gonna jump off the ledge, do it already. but the onslaught about the world coming to end is ridiculous. chill a little. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. y'all should know that. Y'all are the ones that bitched about Pop, bonner, Tiago not playing, etc. all year long. you got what you expected. so, why the long faces?

but then again, y'all are the ones that think Ian Mahinmi is future hall of famer. and when another 7-footer from overseas comes over, you'll automatically think the same.

oh well, y'all are right, i'm wrong. And I'm okay with it, because none of y'all know me and this is just an internet forum. :toast

itzsoweezee
04-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Lol! youre right, to a point. I posted my opinion, and then others piled on because they didn't agree with my opinion. So in MY opinion, I can bitch at people if I want.

But who F'n cares, really. y'all take this shit way too serious... everything from posts like "is this the worst moment in spurs history"... spurs will suck til 2020... are the spurs the most overrate team in history... blah blah blah.

if you're gonna jump off the ledge, do it already. but the onslaught about the world coming to end is ridiculous. chill a little. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. y'all should know that. Y'all are the ones that bitched about Pop, bonner, Tiago not playing, etc. all year long. you got what you expected. so, why the long faces?

but then again, y'all are the ones that think Ian Mahinmi is future hall of famer. and when another 7-footer from overseas comes over, you'll automatically think the same.

oh well, y'all are right, i'm wrong. And I'm okay with it, because none of y'all know me and this is just an internet forum. :toast

Log out and NPA

romsho
04-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Hilarious! some of y'all are just freaking funny as hell. Here's my real objective perspective...

Y'all post shit on this forum thinking that anyone actually gives a shit... as though what you think matters to the Spurs front office. You think forums like this are something more than for mere entertainment purposes... and ironically, THAT makes them all the funnier.

So I come in here and post some positive crap about Pop and y'all go all Tony Allen on me. LOL!

Look, I really don't give a shit about the people on the Spurs because I don't know them personally. I just know that after 20 some odd years of following the team they finally won a title and then they won three more, all under Popovich. So, I tend to cut him some slack. I also knew as many of this forum seemed to know that it was a long shot that this team would even compete for a title. You assemble the best team you CAN with the resources you have and give it your best shot. That's what the Spurs did. So why all the vitriol? Because some of y'all act as though you think you're next in line for a front office job or something. Or that you may be the next Marc STein or Tim Legler or something.

YOU'RE NOT an NBA analyst. You're not an expert. Your just a fan like me. But unlike me, you think what you say on this forum really matters in the grand scheme of things. It's funny (to a point) how much you hate on players and coaches, and then on people when they don't agree with you or don't join in the hate.

But then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, as you're breaking down game film in your basement during "off" hours your phone will ring and it will be RC Buford calling to ask your opinion on a European kid with a sweet jumper; or maybe Pop will call to ask your recommendation on when to employ a zone versus man defense; or maybe Matt Bonner will call you to ask for some shooting pointers. It could happen.

Here's hoping it does.

Perfect.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 08:37 PM
OP: I'm really objective. Pop's awesome. It's not his fault.
Response: Pop built the team.
OP: I'm still really objective, and I'm just expressing my opinion. Fuck all of you motherfuckers. You're not in the NBA. Why are you being so mean to me?
Response: That's an objective opinion?
OP: Fuckin who cares? Strawman strawman. You don't know who I am.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 08:37 PM
There's nothing you posted there with the exception of Neal, Splitter and Anderson that we didn't know from last season.

Unlike what some people think, rosters are not static. There's this thing called trades that let you switch players and try to bolster your roster. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. And get this, you can actually make some of those midway through the season too!

So the whole 'he worked with what he had' argument is kinda silly. He could also had tried to modify things if he didn't like what he saw. He obviously liked what he saw or didn't think there was a major problem with it.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 08:54 PM
The whole notion of "work with what you've got" goes out the window when you realize that Pop didn't play Splitter the entire season and didn't have him ready for the playoffs anyway. This is a stupid post and we're all idiots for continuing it. I confess that Kick the Popologist is just too much fun at this point.

BackHome
04-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Pop has to take some of the blame you know he is the freakin head coach....I still remember when Pop fired Hill I wonder if he would have done the same after having the second best record and getting swept by the eighth seed?

HankChinaski
04-30-2011, 10:19 PM
Well, this team sold tickets and made it to the playoffs. For an organization in a small market, you can't complain with the results no matter how frustrating it is for us fans.

Pop is to blame with not developing players into the rotation better, but if you told me we would go into this series with Parker taking a massive dump for 3 solid straight games I would have seriously disbelieved that person and think they were stupid.

But it happened.

Players and the coach are equally accountable for this series. Just the way the series went.

Games 1-3 and 5 could have gone both ways for either team. The only real game that stood out was the dump on game 4. The teams made for a interesting and difficult series that was going to be tough. Probably will be the only series that carried out as physically as it did.

analyzed
05-01-2011, 12:56 AM
Reality is: in this league unless you belong to a big market like LA, your only realistic chance of getting a franchise player is through getting a high ( 1st or 2nd pick) in the draft. Reality is 95 % of the time , teams only win with a frachise player (an MVP) or recognized as 1 of the top 3 players in the game.

With that in mind, are only realistic chance is to draft a hakeem, admiral or Tim, to get back into serious title contention ( what are the chances of that happening ?? very slim) . Don't underestimate how bless we were with drafting the admiral then tim .

Yeah, yeah, some wise guy is going to say, Detroit won without an MVP. but seriosuly that really is the exception. Someone might say, what about boston in 08, well unless you can tell me we can buy a big three and move then to SA, forget that dream. ( A young Rey allen or KG ain't moving to SA)

So really like 25 or so other franchises , were in the same boat, winning another title is really wishful thinking, but what else are you supposed to do but try

jjktkk
05-01-2011, 01:03 AM
The whole notion of "work with what you've got" goes out the window when you realize that Pop didn't play Splitter the entire season and didn't have him ready for the playoffs anyway. This is a stupid post and we're all idiots for continuing it. I confess that Kick the Popologist is just too much fun at this point.

Its also fun to kick the guy that thinks Mahimni is an allstar and that its better to shoot two point jumpers than three pointers. :lol

jjktkk
05-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Wow this is shocking. Another Popologist emerges from the woodwork with his rosey colored glasses and spewing garbage opionions trying to minimize the damage that Popovich has wreaked over the past 4 years.

Sorry buddy, these lame excuses might have worked in years past to mask all the flaws, but I think even the old timers are starting to see the reality of the situation.

What kind of fake ass Spurs fan are you? You disappear for 3 months when the Spurs were on a roll and then show up after their playoff exit, to throw out the Pop's an idiot chant. Props on cementing your legacy on ST. :toast

Obstructed_View
05-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Its also fun to kick the guy that thinks Mahimni is an allstar and that its better to shoot two point jumpers than three pointers. :lol

"Mahinmi is a better center than Bonner" = "Mahinmi is an all-star"? So you're saying Bonner is an all-star, right? After the way the "Spread the floor" centers got destroyed in a playoff series, it's curious that you would show up with a strawman about Mahinmi of all people. :lmao

I said it's better to MAKE two point jumpers than to miss three pointers. You might explain how you disagree with that. :lol

Dumbfuck.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2011, 02:59 AM
And speaking of butthurt Pop apologists...

"Mahinmi is a better center than Bonner" = "Mahinmi is an all-star"? So you're saying Bonner is an all-star, right? After the way the "Spread the floor" centers got destroyed in a playoff series, it's curious that you would show up with a strawman about Mahinmi of all people. :lmao

I said it's better to MAKE two point jumpers than to miss three pointers. You might explain how you disagree with that. :lol

Dumbfuck.

jjktkk
05-01-2011, 03:36 PM
And speaking of butthurt Pop apologists...

Dumbfuck.

No the dumbfuck is the one who thinks hes a better coach than a future Hofer. Pop definitely makes some bone headed decisions, overplaying Bonner, Finley etc.... But his postives outweigh the negatives. Because of Bowen's exit/retirement, and other important defensive players like Horry, etc lost over the years, Pop has had to adjust on the fly and play to this current teams strengths. Which is offense. You think if he could find a shutdown defender like a Bowen, and have another defensive big to pair alongside Duncan that he wouldn't take advantage of it and get back to his defensive principles? Splitter has showed flashes of being that big, but hes still raw. Even someone like you can hopefully realize how hard it is to find another Bowensqe type defender to shut down the oppenent's bester perimeter player. Its funny how the majority of knowledgable NBA fans and NBA players, coaches, etc. acknowledge that Pop is one of the best coaches out there, but a very tiny % of stupid motherfuckers, like yourself, think their NBA IQ is so much better than Pops.

Obstructed_View
05-01-2011, 03:49 PM
No the dumbfuck is the one who thinks hes a better coach than a future Hofer. Pop definitely makes some bone headed decisions, overplaying Bonner, Finley etc.... But his postives outweigh the negatives. Because of Bowen's exit/retirement, and other important defensive players like Horry, etc lost over the years, Pop has had to adjust on the fly and play to this current teams strengths. Which is offense. You think if he could find a shutdown defender like a Bowen, and have another defensive big to pair alongside Duncan that he wouldn't take advantage of it and get back to his defensive principles? Splitter has showed flashes of being that big, but hes still raw. Even someone like you can hopefully realize how hard it is to find another Bowensqe type defender to shut down the oppenent's bester perimeter player. Its funny how the majority of knowledgable NBA fans and NBA players, coaches, etc. acknowledge that Pop is one of the best coaches out there, but a very tiny % of stupid motherfuckers, like yourself, think their NBA IQ is so much better than Pops.

You provided the rope...

Bowen exited because Pop shoved him out the door. Horry left because he was sick of Pop's stupid smallball lineups. Splitter's raw because Pop refused to play him during the season. Pop abandoned defense for smallball when he had the personnel to do something about it. Pop abandoned Bowen's defense for offense when he had the personnel to do something about it. Pop went to a fun and gun offensive strategy when he had the personnel to do something about it. The only thing he's done "on the fly" is abandon those ideas for defense when everything went to shit in the playoffs, and always, too late.

:lol popsucking stupid ass.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2011, 04:05 PM
Can't blame anyone for armchairing coaching decisions or personnel moves following a season, but some fans need to keep things in perspective.

why did Pop "abandon" the defensive mentality as some have said? He didn't. He assessed what he had on the roster and adjusted.

It's just too bad he has no say in how the team's roster looks :rolleyes

I think he knew the team was not built like teams of old, so he chose not to try to fit a square peg into a round hole, but instead he tried to keep the team competitive enough to give an aging superstar another chance at a run.

He built it, so make up your mind. He sucks as a coach now, or he sucks in his role as general manager. Both deserve criticism.

He took a calculated risk that earning a high seed would give his team the chance it needed. What he didn't know or couldn't know was that an eighth seed would be as good down low as Memphis was. Timmy just didn't have enough help. And 35 year old TImmy needs more help than 30-year-0ld Timmy.

Pop couldn't have known that two seven footers would be problems for a 35 year old Tim Duncan, 6'5" Dejuan Blair, and Mental Midget Matt Bonner? We've been chasing LA since 2008 when they got Pau, how could he not do anything to shore up his front line for three years knowing the road to the Finals went through LA with Odom and Gasol?

And, Ian Mahinmi would not, will not, ever be the difference maker. So, please let that ridiculous argument die. Could Tiago, if more fully integrated into the system, have helped more? maybe, but he was still an NBA rookie who can't make free throws. Until he learns to make free throws at a rate of at least 65%, his offensive impact will be limited and his full potential unknown.

:lmao Free throws? Free throw shooting isn't what kept him on the bench. It's the fact that he couldn't shoot, err brick the three like Bonner.

Who could have helped? Kurt Thomas

So why'd Pop let him go? Why didn't he try to sign him last summer? Wouldn't Pop deserve criticism for that?

So, what did we learn?

Matt Bonner has been a choker for three straight postseasons. Fuck you and anyone else who his too dumb to see that, including Pop.

He should be the last guy on the end of the bench, not playing major minutes for a playoff contender.

Blair was drafted by Pop. So you're saying Pop screwed up?

RJ is a mental midget who doesn't fit our system and shouldn't have been extended last summer. Another Pop fuck up.

Tiago Splitter must learn to make free throws consistently if he is to reach his full potential

Yes, a guy who shoots two FTs per game was glued to the bench out of the worry of him shooting them at a sufficient pecentage :rolleyes

Tiago was glued to the bench because his name wasn't Matt Bonner and it was his first year here (he got the Larry Brown rookie treatment that Pop has adopted).

Spurs also need a shut-down perimeter defender (6'7 to 6'9) -- the Bruce Bowen type. I don't think George Hill is the answer. he's good, but not nasty enough.

Well, that and the fact Georgie isn't 6'7" to 6'9". :lol

Oh, and pssst - the Bowen replacement (with adequate height) has been a problem for eight years now. When is Pop going to get around to that?

as far as coaching goes, anyone can second guess but it's not really productive.

Correct. Pop is a stubborn arrogant prick who won't change.

Pop has made more good decisions than bad over his tenure and there is a delicate balance between players and coaches that can either make coaches look really good or really bad. I'd rather take my chances with Pop at the helm than any other coach in the league right now.

Four years in a row, zero Finals appearances. It's been a while since he made any good ones.

The golden era appears to be over, but things could be worse. And, in the end, the franchise brought us four titles, which is a lot more than many teams can say. So rather than turn on Pop or the organization, I say thank you and let's work to put together the best team we can to give Tim another chance at a run. He deserves it.

Keep pumping, sunshine!

Oh, and a Popapologist calling a thread 'objective' is the funniest thing I've seen all day. Nice work.

TJastal
05-01-2011, 04:07 PM

This is a spurs talk forum, not quilting 101. If you can't handle serious discussions and negative feedback to your opinions, then why don't you GTFO already.

I don't think anyone said Mahinmi would be a future HOF'er. Can he be an impact player in the league, similar to Serge Ibaka? I think so.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2011, 04:12 PM

You mean Pop's not reading our posts? Damn, thought it was that way all this time. How will we ever go on?

What's entertaining is you getting sand in your vagina over us critizing Pop for being a complete idiot for the fourth year in a row.

I also knew as many of this forum seemed to know that it was a long shot that this team would even compete for a title. You assemble the best team you CAN with the resources you have and give it your best shot. That's what the Spurs did. So why all the vitriol? Because some of y'all act as though you think you're next in line for a front office job or something. Or that you may be the next Marc STein or Tim Legler or something.

No, we just enjoy basketball and watching the Spurs and are competent enough to see stupidity on the court when we see it.

Tim Legler is an idiot, and the fact you hold him up as some sort of model of basketball analysis genius further proves how dumb you are. And that goes for any of the talking heads on ESPN.

It does! Pop has called many of us on the forum to discuss posts and implement changes we suggested. So there!

Here's hoping it does.

Agreed. Someone needs to help him pull his head out.

And Matt Bonner doesn't need shooting pointers. He needs to grow a pair, grow two inches, add 40 pounds of fast twitch muscle fiber, and actually develop a vertical. Other than that, the guy is a stud.

TJastal
05-01-2011, 04:24 PM
What kind of fake ass Spurs fan are you? You disappear for 3 months when the Spurs were on a roll and then show up after their playoff exit, to throw out the Pop's an idiot chant. Props on cementing your legacy on ST. :toast

I was here a good chunk of the year. I only left for awhile because it was getting redundant arguing with the likes of you & Chumpdumper. I told you back then the way Pop was handling Splitter's role on the team would eventually blow up in his face, and I was right. You've got a lot of nerve calling out my fandom, but I would expect nothing less from an arrogant prick such as yourself.

TJastal
05-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Has it occured to your dumbass that in order to get a player experience (IE shed the "raw" label) is to actually play?

tmtcsc
05-01-2011, 04:59 PM

why did Pop "abandon" the defensive mentality as some have said? He didn't. He assessed what he had on the roster and adjusted. I think he knew the team was not built like teams of old, so he chose not to try to fit a square peg into a round hole, but instead he tried to keep the team competitive enough to give an aging superstar another chance at a run. He took a calculated risk that earning a high seed would give his team the chance it needed. What he didn't know or couldn't know was that an eighth seed would be as good down low as Memphis was. Timmy just didn't have enough help. And 35 year old TImmy needs more help than 30-year-0ld Timmy.

And, Ian Mahinmi would not, will not, ever be the difference maker. So, please let that ridiculous argument die. Could Tiago, if more fully integrated into the system, have helped more? maybe, but he was still an NBA rookie who can't make free throws. Until he learns to make free throws at a rate of at least 65%, his offensive impact will be limited and his full potential unknown. Who could have helped? Kurt Thomas

So, what did we learn?
Tony Parker can't carry the team
Ginobilli still has it, if he can stay healthy
Tim Duncan is old and has to pick his spots
Antonio McDyess is tough as nails, but old
George Hill is not a starting poing guard, but he is a good combo guard coming off the bench
Gary Neal is fearless
James Anderson must stay healthy to live up to potential

Based on what we know, the Spurs need to find another big man (7-footer) to run the offfense through so that TIm can become the weak side rebounder and defender that David Robinson became in his twilight years. Is Splitter that person? Don't know, but regardless, another big who can play in the low past is necessary given he shortcomings of Blair and age of McDyess. Also, need an enforcer type like a Kurt Thomas.

If Spurs can find these pieces, and I think they're out there, then they might have enough to make another run before TIm retires.

as far as coaching goes, anyone can second guess but it's not really productive. Pop has made more good decisions than bad over his tenure and there is a delicate balance between players and coaches that can either make coaches look really good or really bad. I'd rather take my chances with Pop at the helm than any other coach in the league right now.

I was with you until you said Kurt Thomas. We had him here and he underachieved. Pass.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I was with you until you said Kurt Thomas. We had him here and he underachieved. Pass.

You had no problem with him pawning Pop's decisions this year based on the personnel, even when Pop has complete control of personnel?

:lol

G-Dawgg
05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Gary Neal is fearless but too one dimensional to make an impact during a whole series

Duncan needs to retire before he embarasses himself anymore than he already has

Parker gets stagefright

Hill is deadly but needs to get some confidence

Ginobili plays like shit coming off injuries

The Spurs team as a whole has become "soft" again

Defense is still the key to victory - which we don't have

Size still rules in this era of mobile perimeter frontlines - which we don't have

Our defensive schemes of funneling opponents to the baseline towards the shot-blockers is kinda suspect if we don't have any shotblockers

We live and die by the 3 ball

Our championship years are now behind us

Period.

pancakechef
05-01-2011, 06:04 PM
No offense, but this is anything but an objective assessment - most of the OP is mostly spin.

It was a roster constructed by Pop and RC, with Pop having arguably the bigger influence. He was the one who extended RJ based on off-season workouts, signed Bonner believing that he could be an effective stretch 4.

Good one. How about Matt Bonner's defensive impact being limited due to the fact that he is slow, undersized and can't jump? Didn't stop Pop from playing him 20 minutes.

There is nothing nice about Matt Bonner. He should not see minutes on a playoff team unless there are wholesale injuries.

That's like saying Brett Favre has thrown more good passes than bad. Except that both Pop and Favre did their good work early in their careers and basically made mistake after mistake over their last few years. There is a whole another thread devoted to Pop's decisions with small ball, Finley, Bowen, Mason, Bogans, Bonner, Hill and now Splitter. Most of his good decisions are more than 5 years old.

Alright lets break it down one by one.....

I have hated POP since his TAKEOVER of the Spurs at JUST THE RIGHT MOMENT. He is a sneaky little rat that no one really likes to say anything bad about because of the wins.

1. He can't adjust. He has no clue of who to play and where/when they should play. TD hasnt been DOMINANT for 4-5 years on both ends of the court.

2. McDyess/Bonner- Junk pickups/signings EVERYONE KNOWS Antonio and Bonner are "nice guys" but trash when it comes to ball. Bonner never hits threes in the playoffs because he's not shooting in junk time against 4th stringers. and WTF are we doing signing someone who CANNOT DEFEND outside the paint (he doesnt really do a good job inside the paint anymore) or shoot INSIDE THE PAINT. How can you play a center with virtually 0 post moves?

Look you have to attack the big guys when you are outsized to draw fouls. Blair does this on both ends of the court.

3. Tony. Jesus this kid is AWFUL in a 1/2 court game or any passing situation. LET HIM RUN. That is his only skill. Layups.

4. RJ. Why werent we playing Neal? RJ gets burnt on D and cant score. Neal gets burnt on D and can....

5. Look where things went wrong this year. About 65 COUNT THEM 65 games INTO THE SEASON with the best record. POP pulls Blair for McDyess. Look at our record the 20 or so games McDyess starts.

It doesnt take a genius to figure out the situation year after year.... POP is AWFUL...

How do you take our best rebounder, most instinctive AND ACTIVE bigman (BLAIR) and sub him for Bonner AND MCDYESS>......?????/

please give yourself the pink slip pop. Ive been a spurs fan since 89' I would much rather watch DROB go through the 90's again than watch you F up another post season.

purist
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
OMFG....y'all made your point already... time and time and time again. You think Pop sucks. we get it. and anyone with a differing opinion sucks. I get that too.

what do expect anyone on this forum to do. we're not the GM.... and neither are you. Its just sports... quit being such an asshole... obsructed view.

pancakechef
05-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Purist.... you may call me as many things as you like. As long as you follow it up with "you were correct a few years ago and you are correct now"

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
OMFG....y'all made your point already... time and time and time again. You think Pop sucks. we get it. and anyone with a differing opinion sucks. I get that too.

what do expect anyone on this forum to do. we're not the GM.... and neither are you. Its just sports... quit being such an asshole... obsructed view.

I don't think anyone with a different opinion sucks. I think they suck when they can't talk x's and o's and personnel, and choose to hide behind Pop's skirt and say he won a few titles back in the day so we should all kiss his ass for making sure Tim Duncan retires with no more rings.

pancakechef
05-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Anyone could have coached the Spurs to 4 rings in the Duncan Era

dude1394
05-01-2011, 08:28 PM

Here's hoping it does.

Nice post. Fans always seem to think if just the right button were pushed like in a video game, you can't lose. Sometimes the other team is just better.

TE
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM
GNSF's are GNSF for a reason.

What a terrible thread.

Rummpd
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM
B.S. Pop started to adjust mid series then when he needed too to put Duncan or Splitter on a hot Randolph = Major Fail. Also, a number of Spurs came up small and Duncan simply is not what he used to be sadly.

purist
05-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't think anyone with a different opinion sucks. I think they suck when they can't talk x's and o's and personnel, and choose to hide behind Pop's skirt and say he won a few titles back in the day so we should all kiss his ass for making sure Tim Duncan retires with no more rings.

Right. This forum is all about xs and os ? There's a plethora of evidence to the contrary. But how's this for xs and os; spours weren't nearly as good as many thought they were and memphis is a hell of a lot better than most thought.

Spurs were simply outmatched in the low post. Duncan's role nneds to change to weakside defender/rebounder and someone else needs to become #1 oprtion in post. Splitter? Maybe, but I don't know. You see, I'm willing to admit I don't know everything.
And, I may be wrong. It's just water cooler talk. It's not global peace.

pjjrfan
05-01-2011, 11:00 PM

The fact that Pop still uses Splitter's injury during training camp as a reason for not using him really bothers me, because the guy's been over that injrury for quite some time. Plus when Tim got hurt Tiago really picked it up, but once Tim came back it was back to the bench, and the fact he didn't get any play the first 3 games of the series becomes more disturbing once he made the decision to bench Blair and go with Splitter. He talks about rhythm yet never lets Splitter get any and then throws him in there. I don't think Pop should retire, but someone needs to point out that his company line is not working anymore and disgruntled fans are going to start calling for his head and believe me when they start losing on a regular basis and attendance starts to go down the voice of the fans will have an impact on who coaches.

jjktkk
05-01-2011, 11:42 PM
You provided the rope...

Bowen exited because Pop shoved him out the door. Horry left because he was sick of Pop's stupid smallball lineups. Splitter's raw because Pop refused to play him during the season. Pop abandoned defense for smallball when he had the personnel to do something about it. Pop abandoned Bowen's defense for offense when he had the personnel to do something about it. Pop went to a fun and gun offensive strategy when he had the personnel to do something about it. The only thing he's done "on the fly" is abandon those ideas for defense when everything went to shit in the playoffs, and always, too late.

Who provides you with NBA related info, the little old lady in your apartment complex? Bowen and Horry both retired after they left the Spurs. If they were forced out by the Spurs, why didn't they catch on with another team Nostradumbass?

jjktkk
05-01-2011, 11:48 PM

Since when did you ever provide x's and o's? You constantly bitch and moan about the Spur's roster. Name a Bowen replacement the Spurs can realistically get. And while your trying to come up with something substantial, throw in some bigs with size, and shock blocking ability as well that the Spurs can realistically obtain.

jjktkk
05-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I was here a good chunk of the year. I only left for awhile because it was getting redundant arguing with the likes of you & Chumpdumper. I told you back then the way Pop was handling Splitter's role on the team would eventually blow up in his face, and I was right. You've got a lot of nerve calling out my fandom, but I would expect nothing less from an arrogant prick such as yourself.

Or maybe the reason you stayed away was how hollow it sounds repeating the Pop's an idiot chant when the Spurs were racing away with the best record, but its alot easier to sound off when the Spurs flamed out in the playoffs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-02-2011, 02:00 AM
Since when did you ever provide x's and o's? You constantly bitch and moan about the Spur's roster. Name a Bowen replacement the Spurs can realistically get. And while your trying to come up with something substantial, throw in some bigs with size, and shock blocking ability as well that the Spurs can realistically obtain.

You guys were too busy sucking Pop off during the Memphis series to notice. Amongst other things, these were discussed:

* Mayo getting open jumper after open jumper because Pop was having Tony go under the pick every play. That didn't change all series.

* Not playing Blair and Bonner together on the court at the same time

* Poor spacing on offense for the Spurs contributing to the lack of open threes

* Not using Tim in the low post

* Running pick and roll with Bonner and George Hill :lol

* Not running pick and roll with Manu and Splitter when they've shown that works pretty damn well.

It's late and that's all I feel like hitting on tonight, sure others will chime in.

admiralsnackbar
05-02-2011, 03:18 AM
You provided the rope...

Remind us again how old Bowen and Horry were when they were so disgusted by Pop's shenanigans that they left the NBA entirely.

FuzzyLumpkins
05-02-2011, 05:05 AM
We got exposed in the second half on our rebounding and then played Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol. Strength on weakness.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2011, 05:43 AM
Who provides you with NBA related info, the little old lady in your apartment complex? Bowen and Horry both retired after they left the Spurs. If they were forced out by the Spurs, why didn't they catch on with another team Nostradumbass?

Bowen got benched in the playoffs in favor of Michael Finley. What does his retirement have to do with it? Horry was sick of smallball before he left the Spurs. What does his retirement have to do with it?

Obstructed_View
05-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Remind us again how old Bowen and Horry were when they were so disgusted by Pop's shenanigans that they left the NBA entirely.

When was Bowen so disgusted by Pop's shenanigans that he left the NBA?

Obstructed_View
05-02-2011, 05:53 AM

OP: I'm really objective. Pop's awesome. It's not his fault.
Response: But Pop built the team.
OP: I'm still really objective, and I'm just expressing my opinion. Fuck all of you motherfuckers. You're not in the NBA. Why are you being so mean to me?
Response: That's an objective opinion?
OP: Fuckin who cares? Strawman strawman. You don't know who I am.
Response: Here are the decisions that Pop made and the result of those decisions in the playoffs. Try to look at it objectively.
OP: I get it, I get it. You just hate Pop and you hate free speech. Quit being an asshole.
Sorry that presenting facts violates your objective sensibilities.

purist
05-02-2011, 08:39 AM

LOL. funny how when you present information, it's FACT. when someone of a differing perspective presents information, it's OPINION.

Just my opinionated factual observation.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-02-2011, 09:51 AM
The bottom line is that Tim has been in need of another real 7-footer since 2005 and the Spurs FO and Pop haven't done it yet.

Yes, 2006 could have been but it didn't happen, 2007 happened because realistically the Cavs only had Lebron and TP was playing out of his mind but honestly, the last big who had any impact alongside Tim was Nazr. Oberto did ok in 2007 but again the Cavs couldn't overcome that.

So again, unless they fix this situation with the bigs the Spurs won't be able to overcome the good bigger teams.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2011, 11:28 AM
LOL. funny how when you present information, it's FACT. when someone of a differing perspective presents information, it's OPINION.

Just my opinionated factual observation.

You: . I think he knew the team was not built like teams of old, so he chose not to try to fit a square peg into a round hole, but instead he tried to keep the team competitive enough to give an aging superstar another chance at a run.

You are guessing what the motivations were, therefore, opinion. Starting sentences with "I think" typically is a giveaway.

Me: The whole notion of "work with what you've got" goes out the window when you realize that Pop didn't play Splitter the entire season and didn't have him ready for the playoffs anyway

Splitter was on the team all season (it can be verified). Splitter was given DNP/CDs from Pop throughout the season when he was healthy. He didn't get any extra time in preparation for the playoffs. Fact.

Cessation
05-02-2011, 12:21 PM
gnsf running amok in this thread

jjktkk
05-02-2011, 05:16 PM

What facts? Show me the Bowen quote that he was sick of Pop's shenanagans? When the NBA changed the hand check rule and Bowen's gradual decline due to age, thats what led to Bowens exit and his eventual retirement. You think if Bowen was able to physically, he would of loved to prove Pop wrong, that he was still a force defensively. Same with Horry.

jjktkk
05-02-2011, 05:19 PM
The bottom line is that Tim has been in need of another real 7-footer since 2005 and the Spurs FO and Pop haven't done it yet.

Yes, 2006 could have been but it didn't happen, 2007 happened because realistically the Cavs only had Lebron and TP was playing out of his mind but honestly, the last big who had any impact alongside Tim was Nazr. Oberto did ok in 2007 but again the Cavs couldn't overcome that.

So again, unless they fix this situation with the bigs the Spurs won't be able to overcome the good bigger teams.

True. The hope is that Splitter can be that guy.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
What facts? Show me the Bowen quote that he was sick of Pop's shenanagans? When the NBA changed the hand check rule and Bowen's gradual decline due to age, thats what led to Bowens exit and his eventual retirement. You think if Bowen was able to physically, he would of loved to prove Pop wrong, that he was still a force defensively. Same with Horry.

I said Bowen got shoved out the door. He did. You don't read so good.

And yeah, Bowen's defense started to go downhill after 2001 when they added the hand check rules. :rolleyes

admiralsnackbar
05-02-2011, 05:49 PM
When was Bowen so disgusted by Pop's shenanigans that he left the NBA?
Should I have written that in blue for you?

NameOfTheGame
05-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Here's hoping it does.

In the words of Billy Clinton, "I feel your pain."

Sometimes, this forum makes me want to go back to SpursReport. Only sometimes, though. This place still kicks ass. Absolutely. It's BECAUSE the people here take the Spurs so seriously and are very outspoken about it...that makes the forum worthwhile.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Should I have written that in blue for you?

Absolutely. If you were kidding, I totally missed it and I apologize. :toast

If you were serious, then fuck you, you ain't in the NBA, as though what you think matters, I don't give a shit, why are you being such a jerk? /blue`:lol

I was a little surprsed to see that question from you.