PDA

View Full Version : Avery Johnson Believes Title is Within Reach

mavsfan1000
06-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Johnson believes title is within Mavs' reach

By Art Garcia

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

They were all together in San Antonio 13 years ago -- Larry Brown, Gregg Popovich and Avery Johnson.

"Back in '92, Larry was the head coach, Pop was an assistant, and I was a backup point guard," Johnson said Tuesday, fresh off a family vacation in Florida. "If somebody found that picture, it would be a great picture to show of three guys that are now head coaches. Those guys spent a lot of time together. Just as close as Pop is to Larry, I am to Pop."
NBA coaches are an exclusive fraternity, though Brown and Popovich reside in an even more elite sect. They've each won NBA titles, and one is poised to add to his personal trophy case in the next couple of weeks.

Brown's Detroit Pistons are defending their championship against Popovich's Spurs in the NBA Finals, which begin Thursday in San Antonio. The Spurs won the 1999 and 2003 titles under Popovich.

Johnson expects to join the title-toting club before his contract with the Mavericks expires. If not, he has no problem with owner Mark Cuban looking for another coach. Johnson said as much shortly after the season ended, and he's not changing his tune now.

"I'm all right with that. I'm secure with that," said Johnson, whose contract has three guaranteed years with an option for a fourth season. "Mark and I have the same vision. It's a pretty good team that we have here, and I think that's the window of opportunity. I don't have a problem with that.

"I'm not going to be held hostage by just trying to make money in the NBA. I made my money. I've been on both sides. More than winning a championship, Mark has to be satisfied with the system and the job I'm doing."

Cuban called the win-it-all-in-two-years-or-fire-me vow vintage Johnson.

"I love AJ," Cuban said. "He is a warrior, and so committed to success. He puts winning above politics and everything else, and puts in as many hours as it takes. I can't ask for anything more."

Johnson is making sure his influence extends throughout the organization. He's closely monitoring the team's scouting efforts leading up to the draft later this month, though the Mavs don't have a pick in either of the two rounds. He'll be coaching the Mavs' summer league team in Las Vegas next month if there isn't a lockout. And he's in the process of hiring two new assistants.

"I like to have my hands on stuff," Johnson said. "I don't think I can ever be a hands-off coach. We need to get that straight right now. I'll be a part of the process. Why wouldn't I want to be a part of it?"

The end of the process leads to where Popovich and Brown are today. The Mavs took a step this season by reaching the Western Conference semifinals, but getting to the level of the Spurs and Pistons won't come without sacrifice.

"We're not far, but to get to that level takes a serious commitment and serious level of concentration," Johnson said. "It takes strong chemistry. You may not be that far away from that level, but that jump is a lot harder."

Johnson reiterated the mantra heard often since the end of the season: Stay the course. Minor roster changes are obviously in the works before training camp, but Johnson is committed to going forward with the same core group led by Dirk Nowitzki.

"All of the programs that I've been in that have been successful have always tweaked," Johnson said. "I'm convinced that what we have is good. You can't keep overhauling.

"I'm much more nervous about going backward. You can say that sometimes you have to go backwards to move forward. Sometimes you never move forward. You can have a better chance of moving forward staying where you are."

ducks
06-08-2005, 04:03 PM
yeah as soon as the spurs get hurt

ducks
06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Why Does Aj Need Two New Assistants
How Many Does He Need?

Cant_Be_Faded
06-08-2005, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately i think this mavs incarnation was closest in 2003 in the WCF's

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 01:10 AM
We were lucky in 2003 because of Webber's injury. There is no way we would've gone this far without this injury. Kings in 6. The new version of the Mavericks has much much potential than 2003. We did match up well to the spurs because they didn't have Horry to guard Nowitzki back then forcing Duncan to come out. Nowitzki has a speed advantage over most of the power forwards.

ducks
06-09-2005, 01:49 PM
mavs have a better shot with aj then nelson
however I think aj wants cuban to keep the team intact longer so more chemstry is built