PDA

View Full Version : Appreciating The Spurs Dynasty

100%duncan
04-30-2011, 10:56 AM
After losing their are many things I realized about the Spurs not just for the season but for all the years they have been on champ contender status. The Spurs Dynasty is the real dynasty in the past decade for me because of these reasons. Unlike any other recent dynasties like the lakers and celts the spurs didn't get the :lobt: through big name superstar trades. Lakers got gasol for garbage and they automatically got to 3 finals appearance since, with 2/3 of those resulted in a championship. Also the celts, after the KG and Allen trade they dominated the regular season and won a championship for their first year together. Hell, I can even see Heat winning it all now and if they do it's AGAIN because of the LBJ and Bosh deal. The Spurs did not do it that way, Duncan was a beast back then but he was unselfish and his leadership led to make other 2 superstars, Manu and TP, in fact manu and tp were not even big names when they got to the NBA and seeing them grow and improve to being superstars with the help of Tim, Pop, coaching staff, and other players ,just shows what the Spurs Dynasty was all about. Those were great run guys, from tim's first :lobt: to his 2 straight MVP to the 2003 championship to 2005 that was the year MANU GINOBILI was made and to the Domination of Tony Parker in the 2007 Finals and for the great coaching staff and role players (Drob,Horry,Barry,Sjax,Oberto,Kerr and others) but I'm not saying this is the end. Just like timvp said the Spurs has one great run left in the tank with proper off season deals to surround our big 3 with great role players. But until then we should learn to appreciate what this team,franchise and dynasty gave us, spurs fans. That's all :flag::flag::flag:

TampaDude
04-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Over a decade of sustained excellence, and 4 championships along the way...with them being a late clock and a stupid foul away from possibly 5-peating and having 6...oh, yeah...almost forgot the Barry non-call in 2008...make that 7.

All in all, a helluva run...but it had to end sooner or later. Too many young, hungry teams in the West now...the next few years should be interesting. The era of the Lakers and Spurs dominating the NBA is coming to a close.

100%duncan
04-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Over a decade of sustained excellence, and 4 championships along the way...with them being a late clock and a stupid foul away from possibly 5-peating and having 6...oh, yeah...almost forgot the Barry non-call in 2008...make that 7.

All in all, a helluva run...but it had to end sooner or later. Too many young, hungry teams in the West now...the next few years should be interesting. The era of the Lakers and Spurs dominating the NBA is coming to a close.

We still have 1 run left dude, but yeah the next years will be interesting

Sean Cagney
04-30-2011, 09:36 PM
HELL OF A RIDE! Many fans will never ever see that there and we will remember it first hand.

Sean Cagney
04-30-2011, 09:39 PM

Yes since you look at the bad there and point out .4 and a foul from Manu, look at Horry's miss in 03 that almost won that game in game 5 against us and HOrrys shot in 05, if either of those goes bad for us we are two less titles and stuck at 2! The 4 is great still!

We still have 1 run left dude, but yeah the next years will be interesting

Maybe, if they come in though with the mentality of well we will hit our threes and use BONNER alot at C like this year forget it! Big man is needed and Splitter is needed all year long! Maybe a wing for D as well is needed. Anderson can play some? No clue but that would be interesting. If they come in as is though next year and without Dyess even they regressed and another first round out. They need to change their identity again.

100%duncan
04-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes since you look at the bad there and point out .4 and a foul from Manu, look at Horry's miss in 03 that almost won that game in game 5 against us and HOrrys shot in 05, if either of those goes bad for us we are two less titles and stuck at 2! The 4 is great still!

Maybe, if they come in though with the mentality of well we will hit our threes and use BONNER alot at C like this year forget it! Big man is needed and Splitter is needed all year long! Maybe a wing for D as well is needed. Anderson can play some? No clue but that would be interesting. If they come in as is though next year and without Dyess even they regressed and another first round out. They need to change their identity again.

they need to be that defensive team again, defense wins championship while offense gives uhhh 61 regular season wins

Darrin
04-30-2011, 11:14 PM
I appreciated that they played in a team concept and when you pulled one role player the team would miss something in that season. They seemed to reload and get more out of less. I gained a lot of respect for the Spurs in 2005 during the NBA Finals. I didn't really like them before that, but to be fair, I didn't dislike them either.

When I think of the Spurs dynasty, even though they won with Mario Elie, Malik Rose, and Avery Johnson in the first one, David Robinson has two, I think of Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, and Bowen. They played defense first. I remember when Tony Parker was a rookie, I remember cheering for them to beat the LA Lakers. I remember when Ginobili first signed his contract and how much hype there was about it (and how skeptical I was it would make a difference). It's sad to see it may be coming to an end.

Their core players just made big plays. When they needed a stop or a run of baskets, they got what they needed. I marvel at the excellence. If my Pistons had 12-straight 50-win seasons, 4 NBA Championships, and a 2-time NBA MVP, I would not be complaining and I would be a lot more arrogant. It's one of the great runs in the history of this league.

The Lakers will be remembered as the team of the decade and Kobe as the best of this generation. But those that were there and appreciated the basketball, actually watched the Finals series that San Antonio played in, the Spurs were the consistent, dominant team. Dallas is the closest in longevity during the regular season, the Lakers can rival them in Conference dominance in the postseason. However, it was the Spurs that were there every year, quiet and professional, executing and dominant. Every team had to play the Spurs. It's easy to say the title went through LA. They held the trophy, however. But often in this era, the Conference Champion had to spend some time in San Antonio to win the west, and often wonderful seasons ended there. They were always ready.

I came to appreciate Joe Dumars' quiet nature and his professionalism. The San Antonio Spurs seems to be a team full of Joe Dumars-type players. They don't make headlines for arrests in the offseason. They are easy to like, non-controversial, and just play the game. They make it easy for them to like. But everyone has taken them for granted.

I will always respect these Spurs. RC Buford and Gregg Popovich did a fantastic job gearing them up for the thing that all franchises should play for--NBA Championships. The players here have created a Spurs tradition. The Celtics have Cousy, Russell, Bird, and Havilecek. The Lakers have West, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, and Kobe. They have these players make appearances at practice and they judge whether the tradition is continued in the current core. They are asked every so often to weight in. The Spurs will be able to draw on those players--Elliott, Robinson, Johnson, Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker when they ride off into the sunset. There is an expectation for Spurs basketball now. One of team play, depth, defense, and professionalism. No matter what comes down the pike, they will be judged against those teams that won the Championship.

They were boring? How boring would it be in the West if Dallas and the Lakers never had to play the Spurs? How easy would it be to win the West?

Thanks for the memories!

http://cdubrec2003.tripod.com/images/Tim_Duncan.jpg
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1006/nba.memorable.finals.game7s/images/manu-ginobili-tim-duncan-63AT1811.jpg
http://www.nbaloud.com/images/tony-parker-layup-in-game-1-of-nba-finals1.jpg
http://cdn.thefreshxpress.com/freshxp/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/duncan_shaq.jpg
http://levelsandgear.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/robinson_duncan.jpg
http://assets.gearlive.com/endscore/blogimages/Tony-Parker-Manu-Ginobili-and-Tim-Duncan.jpg
http://www.bballvideos.com/uploaded_images/8028660edb28c3b9506c7abd76ceb853-getty-86013405dce_mavs_spurs-774414.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/2001/playoffs/news/2001/05/12/spurs_mavs_ap/lg_nowitzki_ap-01.jpg
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2552722.bin?size=620x400

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

Amuseddaysleeper
04-30-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm not gonna be ready for this thread until Duncan retires.

da_suns_fan
04-30-2011, 11:49 PM
A great decade, yes.

A dynasty? Please.

100%duncan
04-30-2011, 11:54 PM
A great decade, yes.

A dynasty? Please.

expected that this will come from a suns fan...... try again :wakeup

carina_gino20
05-01-2011, 12:09 AM
This is one of the things that has me simply amazed at the Spurs. The organic development of players like Tony and Manu into becoming great stars. And that speaks volumes of the kind of culture that David Robinson, Tim Duncan, and Gregg Popovich has instilled in this team.

timtonymanu
05-01-2011, 12:16 AM
U96mrQBzzf8

Jelloisjigglin
05-01-2011, 12:21 AM
A great decade, yes.

A dynasty? Please.

This.you need to be able to repeat at least once to be considered a true dynasty IMO.

Sean Cagney
05-01-2011, 12:23 AM
A great decade, yes.

A dynasty? Please.

STFU and cry already over it. DYNASTY IT WAS!
This.you need to be able to repeat at least once to be considered a true dynasty IMO.

Their longevity made just that! They could have easily won 5 in a row, if the Suns did that he would say they wre right? RIGHT?

100%duncan
05-01-2011, 12:24 AM
U96mrQBzzf8

good ol times but bad audio, thanks

100%duncan
05-01-2011, 12:25 AM

4 rings in 9 seasons and please read the fucking OP :toast

davethedope
05-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I agree. A dynasty requires repeats. The Duncan Spurs were a great team
but not a Dynasty. That being said though, I don't think the 90's Rockets, and 90's Pistons were either. Of course by this logic, the 80's Celtics
weren't either. And I venture to say the Shaq Lakers weren't either. I think
when we talk about NBA dynasties we're talking about Showtime, Old Celtics, and Jordan bulls.

Jelloisjigglin
05-01-2011, 12:29 AM
STFU and cry already over it. DYNASTY IT WAS!

Their longevity made just that! They could have easily won 5 in a row, if the Suns did that he would say they wre right? RIGHT?

lol it's just my opinion. You could easily argue that the Spurs were considering the consistent winning throughout the decade, most 50 win seasons, best winning percentage etc. I just feel you need to have strung together titles to be a "dynasty".

timtonymanu
05-01-2011, 12:31 AM
good ol times but bad audio, thanks

lol i agree. the song doesnt match at all.

davethedope
05-01-2011, 12:44 AM
I think we can all agree about these three dynastys:

Russell's Celtics- nuff said.
Showtime- 5 championships in the decade, 8 finals appeareances
Jordan Bulls- 6 championships in the decade, never lost a final

Now compare that to the Spurs. One shortened season title, and three titles spaced apart, with one coming against a Cavs team that was just, come on. There was maybe
one hall of famer on that team. Not dynasty credentials.

100%duncan
05-01-2011, 12:48 AM
.699 percentage of winning and is the best of all sports teams IIRC.

100%duncan
05-01-2011, 12:49 AM
I think we can all agree about these three dynastys:

Russell's Celtics- nuff said.
Showtime- 5 championships in the decade, 8 finals appeareances
Jordan Bulls- 6 championships in the decade, never lost a final

Now compare that to the Spurs. One shortened season title, and three titles spaced apart, with one coming against a Cavs team that was just, come on. There was maybe
one hall of famer on that team. Not dynasty credentials.

:lol at not being a dynasty because of the cavs. they won the east and got their butts kicked nuff said

davethedope
05-01-2011, 12:53 AM
:lol at not being a dynasty because of the cavs. they won the east and got their butts kicked nuff said

I don't know. I see your point, and much respect to your team,
but there is something to be said about the competition you face and
their historical context.

Think of this, Showtime beat Bird's Celtics, twice! That Celtic team
was one of the greatest basketball teams ever.

Jordan Bulls beat a Jazz team with the all time assists leader and
the second highest scoring player of all-time.

And just to throw my Knicks in there, sure 2 titles in the 70's, not a dynasty but they beat a Lakers team with Jerry West and Wilt 'Fucking' Chamberlin on it.

Think about that.

100%duncan
05-01-2011, 12:56 AM

And just to throw my Knicks in there, sure 2 titles in the 70's, not a dynasty but they beat a Lakers team with Jerry West and Wilt 'Fucking' Chamberlin on it.

Think about that.
If that is your point then russell's celts aren't a dynasty either, I mean how many teams were on the league that time? Dynasty for me is about longevity, effiency, championship runs and teamwork and it doesn't matter who you face in the finals because whoever comes out from each conference beat the other great teams and deserved that spot in the finals

Sean Cagney
05-01-2011, 12:56 AM

Think about that.

Respect to the Spurs this about! Not what some team did back then or whatever, this team was on top or near it for so long! That there is rare in sports nowadays, you saw PHX fade out, Kings and so on, most runs are not long and window is small, the Spurs had one for years on end! PERIOD! PERIOD! GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

100%duncan
05-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Please stop the arguments, just appreciate the Spurs and for those who doesn't want to, with all due respect you can gtfo

peskypesky
05-01-2011, 01:52 AM
hells yeah! Spurs Dynasty was motherfucking kick-ass! One of the great franchise runs in all of sports history. A decade of top-tier excellence with 4 Championships. That is really something amazing. Props to Tim and his support players.

DirkDoesWork
05-01-2011, 01:53 AM
Fuck the Spurs

Bunch of floppers

Oh, Gee!!
05-01-2011, 01:55 AM
I enjoyed the championships. I did not enjoy getting spanked by Memphis. It sucked really.

peskypesky
05-01-2011, 01:59 AM
this sums it up. Spurs best team in all sports for the 2000-2009 decade

http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/04/best-teams-of-the-decade-business-sports-decade-teams_slide_2.html

Sean Cagney
05-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Fuck the Spurs

Bunch of floppers

NO TITLES FOR YOU BRO!!!!!!!!!!!:rollin:rollin

Sean Cagney
05-01-2011, 02:04 AM
this sums it up. Spurs best team in all sports for the 2000-2009 decade

http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/04/best-teams-of-the-decade-business-sports-decade-teams_slide_2.html

Yes sir but thought we were the SBC Center in 03 am I wrong there? I mean I remember that there in 03? ATT later.

davethedope
05-01-2011, 04:35 AM
If that is your point then russell's celts aren't a dynasty either, I mean how many teams were on the league that time? Dynasty for me is about longevity, effiency, championship runs and teamwork and it doesn't matter who you face in the finals because whoever comes out from each conference beat the other great teams and deserved that spot in the finals

I though about it and get what you mean about Russell's Celts, but that's
a different discussion altogether applicable to all sports.

As for who you play in the Finals, think of it like this: Do you think
the Pistons the Spurs beat in 7 games were as good as the Pistons the Lakers beat in 7 games in '88? I don't think so.

Who you play in the Finals means everything. You're not going to get
good match ups every year.

Knicks, Pacers, 76ers, Nets, Pistons, Cavs, these were not dominant teams.
The Spurs won and should of won because they were the best team, but
it's not Dynasty epic, imo.

Still, u look back on the decade and there is no denying there was success.
That's the point I'm trying to make, just that there is a context. If the
Spurs were dynastically good the Lakers would have never won 3 in a row.
Which is to say, Spurs had some off years and didn't even make it to
the WCF.

Gutter92
05-01-2011, 07:39 AM

Dunno about that, I think more teams have repeated in NBA history than had the longevity to win 3 rings over a period of 5 years..

SequSpur
05-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Dynasty? One more run?

This team made z Rudolph and m gasol look like hall of famers...this shit is so over...

TheManFromAcme
05-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Dunno about that, I think more teams have repeated in NBA history than had the longevity to win 3 rings over a period of 5 years..

:nope

Good teams the Spurs have fielded but I don't agree with your longevity theory. You are picking "your" time frame to measure their success. What if I suggested that since 2000 the Lakers have won the most closing out the first part of the '00's decade? What if I suggested that the Lakers have had the most sustained success the last 30 years? You see what I did, I picked my own time frames to measure their success.

All I can say is that the Spurs have done great considering what they had to work with. :toast

btw, that 2005 squad was the best in my opinion. That was a repeat capable squad if I ever saw one... fwiw

Russ
05-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Mike Lupica had a nice post-mortem on the Spurs' dynasty on the Sports Reporters this morning. :flag:

100%duncan
05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Keep Appreciating Bro's! Haters gonna hate