PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone want to trade Hill?

BoneyTee
04-30-2011, 01:57 PM
I realize he didn't have a good Playoffs but he needs to be kept. He just needs a little more work. No he's not a TRUE PG but hell neither is Parker. I would rather get rid of Parker, Bonner , RJ and Blair. I love Blair but he is to short. Now if he TOOK NOTES WHILE WATCHING ZBO and learns to play like that then we keep him. But the Blair we have now PLAYS SMALL and we need more. Hold up I just hit a wall :bang:bang:bang.... Who in there right mind would take RJ. He just DISAPPEARED in the Playoffs. We can't have that mess. He needs to go. But we just don't have the money, picks or Trade bait to get a good Star caliber player here. I guess you need Hill to help the trade, but I would rather keep him....So what do you all think?:ihit
:flag::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:

Buddy Holly
04-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Hill will only work if the Spurs can get an actual backup point guard who can run the team while George is playing the 2.

So either we trade or draft a quality backup or we're stuck with Hill at the backup 1/2 and that has been a failure since day one.

DesignatedT
04-30-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't.

BoneyTee
04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Hill will only work if the Spurs can get an actual backup point guard who can run the team while George is playing the 2.

So either we trade or draft a quality backup or we're stuck with Hill at the backup 1/2 and that has been a failure since day one.

I guess your right but we haven't had a quality TRUE PG since Avery and not sure if we ever will. I think more than anything we need a 6'4 to 6'6 backup PG THAT CAN DEFEND and take Timely shots. Would like to Keep Hill if possible but I guess if the right deal came around. Just feel we need so much and don't have enough to get it. Will the SPURS finally go way over the Luxury Tax. Probably not

easy7
04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
I don't want to trade Hill, can't be everyone then...

TDMVPDPOY
04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
cause he called out the fake spurfans...hahaha

mexicanjunior
04-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Hill can stay but he is not a backup PG...should have kept Curtis Jerrells...

Nathan89
04-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Too short, overrated defender, passive, can't pass,....

My question for you is why do you and so many other love Blair??

Buddy Holly
04-30-2011, 02:18 PM
I guess your right but we haven't had a quality TRUE PG since Avery and not sure if we ever will. I think more than anything we need a 6'4 to 6'6 backup PG THAT CAN DEFEND and take Timely shots. Would like to Keep Hill if possible but I guess if the right deal came around. Just feel we need so much and don't have enough to get it. Will the SPURS finally go way over the Luxury Tax. Probably not

I'm talking about a legit backup at point. Tony is our pg.

BoneyTee
04-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Too short, overrated defender, passive, can't pass,....

My question for you is why do you and so many other love Blair??
I love Blair's rebound game. He is a rebounding beast but sucks offensivley. That stupid spin move gets him in to much trouble, he gets lazy sometimes, makes stupid entry passes and he is to big. If Blair could get a Jumper, Rebound like Rodman and get a ZBO mentality when it comes to scoring I would LOVE to keep him. But the Blair we have RIGHT NOW SUCKS

MannyIsGod
04-30-2011, 02:55 PM
He's not that good, he's going to be overpaid soon, and he's extremely trade able.

angelbelow
04-30-2011, 02:56 PM
There's a couple of reasons:

1. We may be able to milk his value by tricking a team for a better player.
2. We may have to trade him if we wont to get rid of RJ and Bonners contract. No team in their right mind would trade for RJ or Bonner, there as to be a silver lining.
3. Once his contract is up some team is going to offer him the MLE and we'll lose him for nothing.

silverblk mystix
04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
He's a choker two years in a row,is mentally soft and disappears every other game.

Hoops Czar
04-30-2011, 03:18 PM
He had a great rookie season and he's gotten progressively worse since especially at the defensive end. He isn't going to get any better so they might as well package him in a deal and fill some huge gaping holes that are being exploited in every direction come post season.

FalleNxWiZarDx
04-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Hill needs to have the go ahead from pop to score at will

Rebounds
04-30-2011, 03:40 PM

THIS. Hill's too respectful, plays like his creds don't rate alpha status.

spurtech09
04-30-2011, 03:46 PM
trade parker lol no....trade bonner and rj....spurs need to get some tough strong guys...

TimDunkem
04-30-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm sure he does. Every other game we hear another story about how Pop is after him to be more aggressive. The problem is that he has can't seem to keep his foot on the gas and keep attacking. He becomes passive, starts to defer, and becomes invisible. Combine this with the fact that he can't pass very well out of double-teams, and has below court vision, then you have a player who, on some nights, is almost completely useless.

4>0rings
04-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I swear, you people never want to get rid of ANYONE that's a possibility to get rid of. How do you expect to change?

Hoops Czar
04-30-2011, 04:02 PM
I swear, you people never want to get rid of ANYONE that's a possibility to get rid of. How do you expect to change?

Duncan 4

FalleNxWiZarDx
04-30-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm sure he does. Every other game we hear another story about how Pop is after him to be more aggressive. The problem is that he has can't seem to keep his foot on the gas and keep attacking. He becomes passive, starts to defer, and becomes invisible. Combine this with the fact that he can't pass very well out of double-teams, and has below court vision, then you have a player who, on some nights, is almost completely useless.

He cannot be aggressive when pop always has set up plays for either Tony or Manu

our offence is just taking a drive to the basket and if the double team comes, just dish it out to the wing for an open man....

Griz beaten us because most of the time they doubled team only with the bigs and played 1 on 1....

Hill needs to dominate the ball to be successful.

TimDunkem
04-30-2011, 04:14 PM
He cannot be aggressive when pop always has set up plays for either Tony or Manu

our offence is just taking a drive to the basket and if the double team comes, just dish it out to the wing for an open man....

Griz beaten us because most of the time they doubled team only with the bigs and played 1 on 1....

Hill needs to dominate the ball to be successful.
Pop runs plays for him all the time. He's almost like Bonner in the sense that he's a shooter who doesn't want to shoot. He often gets the ball only to give it back to another wing player.

alchemist
04-30-2011, 04:21 PM
he's an undersized 2, he's athletic ass hell but doesn't take advantage of it unless he gets his feelings hurt on twitter.

Juanobili
04-30-2011, 04:33 PM
*insert .gif of airball*

cd98
04-30-2011, 04:49 PM
He is good and should be cheap to extend. If you want anything of value you have to trade a guy with a bigger contract. Best value would be Parker. Just need to find the right team...a potential contender that has lots of pieces but lacks a starting point guard.

Spurs have been in rebuild mode for two seasons.

rick1991
04-30-2011, 05:05 PM
If Dwight Howard does not accept the Magic's contract extension should we take him for one year then he can leave if he wants but we can at least try to win one last championship?

Magic get:
-Richard Jefferson
-George Hill
-Dejuan Blair
-Tiago Splitter

Spurs get:
-Dwight Howard

Works on ESPN trade machine

objective
04-30-2011, 06:01 PM
Trade Hill because he doesn't have a future with the Spurs.

He's reached his potential as a Spur, but will be up for a contract soon. And people are right, his defense is overrated. Better than former Spurs who played ahead of him like Mason and Finley, but he's no stopper.

The Spurs probably can't even keep him at the MLE thanks to Jefferson and Bonner.

Neal has proven he can play 2-guard and James Anderson is still around. Hill can't be kept just to be a back-up point guard, which he's not even that great at.

Get something for him while you can. If the Spurs are very lucky they'll be able to dump RJ's garbage contract. Probably not though, but they should still get what they can.

SenorSpur
04-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Trade Hill because he doesn't have a future with the Spurs.

He's reached his potential as a Spur, but will be up for a contract soon. And people are right, his defense is overrated. Better than former Spurs who played ahead of him like Mason and Finley, but he's no stopper.

The Spurs probably can't even keep him at the MLE thanks to Jefferson and Bonner.

Neal has proven he can play 2-guard and James Anderson is still around. Hill can't be kept just to be a back-up point guard, which he's not even that great at.

Get something for him while you can. If the Spurs are very lucky they'll be able to dump RJ's garbage contract. Probably not though, but they should still get what they can.

^This

And because you can't keep two undersized SGs (Neal and Hill) on the roster. Hill is a very overrated defender, he can't dribble, can't pass, doesn't make anyone else better. It just appears that he's outlived his usefulness here.

The Spurs desparately need a true backup PG and more length on the wings. If it takes Hill's contract to achieve one or both of these, I'm for it.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 06:25 PM
I think Hill can still grow if given a single role in his comfort zone (SG). Unfortunately, if he sticks around, he'll be asked to be the backup PG, a role that just not on him. So ultimately you have to ship him, since in the role Pop wants him to play, he's tapped out, IMO.

SenorSpur
04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Personally, I'd rather go with Neal as a pure backup SG. He's got a killer stroke and a mental toughness this team needs. I just believe Hill, who is a goo player, is not mentally strong, has likely reached his ceiling in his development, and should be sacrificed in order to upgrade the roster.

jesterbobman
04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
It's not really that people want to trade Hill, It's seen as a neccesary evil to try and upgrade other spots/Get rid of Jeffersons Contract. Would you trade Hill to Cleveland or Utah for one of their lottery picks to get Kanter, Biyombo etc, or to the Clippers if it netted Kaman and the dispatch of RJ? No one will take on RJ unless there's a sweetener involved, and we can pick up a Backup PG at 29, and give the SG minutes to Neal and/Or Anderson, Without too drastic of a dropoff.(Reggie Jackson, etc playing for 12-15 minutes a game while Parker rests).

It's a means to an end.

Ice009
04-30-2011, 07:19 PM
Hill is horrible on road games. He really is. I don't know if you can keep a player like that.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Hasn't panned out as a defender or shooter, hasn't shown up with any consistency, is undersized for a shooting guard position, has some trade value and will always present a danger to the Spurs because Pop still thinks George can play point guard in the NBA.

mattyc
04-30-2011, 07:54 PM
He's not that good, he's going to be overpaid soon, and he's extremely trade able.

I'm a big Hill supporter, but MIG sums it up quite well.

SenorSpur
04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Hasn't panned out as a defender or shooter, hasn't shown up with any consistency, is undersized for a shooting guard position, has some trade value and will always present a danger to the Spurs because Pop still thinks George can play point guard in the NBA.

For all his coaching smarts, Pop is, at times, amazingly delusional.

- Thinks of Hill as a defensive stopper and backup PG
- Considers Bonner a valuable role player, and floor-spreader off the bench
- Thought of RJ as a spot-up shooter, in a half-court offense, and a good defender

Each one of these fallacies has proven him wrong, time and again, but he still doesn't seem to get it.

That's 3 non-producing players in the rotation. Is it any wonder why this team went home early? Does Pop really think that the Spurs can contend with this formula, going forward?

Because of Duncan's enormous next-year salary (21 mil) their limited free agent prospects, and low draft position, the Spurs will be very limited as to their options in upgrading the roster. Hill does indeed have some trade value and could very well net an opportunity to upgrade a roster, that is still very lean on athleticism, size and length.

Josepatches_
04-30-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't want to trade Hill,Splitter or Neal.

ChuckD
04-30-2011, 08:07 PM
He's a choker two years in a row,is mentally soft and disappears every other game.

This. He's not playoff material. He's as bad as Bonner under the gun. He's also someone that teams have been interested in, and may be a required "sweetener" in a trade to dump Bonner or RJ. He took a clear step backwards from third guard to fourth guard, supplanted by Gary Neal.

Josepatches_
04-30-2011, 08:28 PM
He was clutch in our 2 wins. He made all the FT in the final minute and he made a lay up to put us back in the game. Mentally he's ready.

He's not a PG but that's on Pop. Hill is young,quick,stronger and his vertical is pretty good so he can help with the rebound.In the NBA today it's better to have Hill than Neal.

He had a bad year.OK.Same team.Nobody played good.

TDfan2007
04-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Because he's too inept to play PG and too small to guard opposing SG/SFs. He's a solid role player at best, but come playoffs he's garbage. He's also a mental midget.

ChuckD
04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
He was clutch in our 2 wins. He made all the FT in the final minute and he made a lay up to put us back in the game. Mentally he's ready.

He's not a PG but that's on Pop. Hill is young,quick,stronger and his vertical is pretty good so he can help with the rebound.In the NBA today it's better to have Hill than Neal.

He had a bad year.OK.Same team.Nobody played good.

I don't give a shit what his vert is or how quick he is if he constantly plays scared. And better than Neal? Maybe on your planet. Neal came into a road elimination playoff game that we were in danger of getting blown out of and stuck a handful of key jumpers, keeping us in range of Memphis. Some players have IT. You can't teach or train IT. You either have IT or you don't. Gary does. George doesn't.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 08:52 PM
I'd rather have Neal at Hill's position for a number of reasons. Neal has shown that he's not afraid of big moments, he's consistent, he gives better effort on defense with fewer lapses, he's can shoot from anywhere, he's currently a bargain, and his presence makes Hill expendable.

In short: The main advantage to Neal is that you can put him into a game telling him to shoot and actually count on him to shoot.

BackHome
04-30-2011, 08:54 PM
^This

And because you can't keep two undersized SGs (Neal and Hill) on the roster. Hill is a very overrated defender, he can't dribble, can't pass, doesn't make anyone else better. It just appears that he's outlived his usefulness here.

The Spurs desparately need a true backup PG and more length on the wings. If it takes Hill's contract to achieve one or both of these, I'm for it.

+1 Well said..........

HankChinaski
04-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Problem we had with Hill out on the floor is pretty simple. Mismatch at the 2/3 when picks are set by the opposing team and you have Parker out on the floor having to switch and defend Battier and then being posted up. Hill can stretch out a bit further due to gorilla chimp length arms but Parker is just too tiny for something like that. And when Jefferson is just moving to slow and you replace him with Neal and Hill the disadvantages hit them square in the face.

Hill's a terrific player, definitely someone worth keeping with the spurs, but if they can package him with another player to bring in a gap the spurs are needing to fill, I say pull the trigger. The spurs right now have several players that can replace what hill gives us, albeit not at his proven level out of the gate, but players that can fill his void off the bench none the less. He has value out there with teams looking for a player of his quality.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Too bad Parker with his short arms did a far better job of defending guys and keeping them in front of him than Monkey Arms did.

yavozerb
04-30-2011, 10:22 PM
I really am not to keen on trading Hill, but if he is needed as a sweetner to bring a legit player then so be it..

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Well someone has to go. The Spurs have way too many of those 6'6" guys.

20beastie45
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
I like hill....But with the league getting bigger at every position, a 6'2 SG will be a miss match come grinding style playoff games.

Good luck to Hill. If you return I will cheer for you. If you don't, good luck.

HankChinaski
04-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Too bad Parker with his short arms did a far better job of defending guys and keeping them in front of him than Monkey Arms did.

To be fair, I thought both had their plus and minuses on defense. Hill was as good of defense we were going to get with players that were suited up on the spurs side of that bench.

And parker let Vasquez in game six look like a crater face stud in the first half. It was disappointing to see him not only roll around the pick but then penetrate into the lane or hit his jumper.

Urghh. I'm frustrated thinking about the defense in general with the spurs the 2nd half of the season into the playoffs.

20beastie45
04-30-2011, 10:52 PM
To be fair, I thought both had their plus and minuses on defense. Hill was as good of defense we were going to get with players that were suited up on the spurs side of that bench.

And parker let Vasquez in game six look like a crater face stud in the first half. It was disappointing to see him not only roll around the pick but then penetrate into the lane or hit his jumper.

Urghh. I'm frustrated thinking about the defense in general with the spurs the 2nd half of the season into the playoffs.

Vasquez is going to be a really good player in the NBA. He is not a fraid of anyone or any situation. Parker didn't let him do anything. Maybe Vasquez showed the world what kind of "stud" he will be when he is a veteran on a championship contending team.

Vasquez is the next big steal of the draft. IMO!

BoneyTee
04-30-2011, 10:53 PM
For all his coaching smarts, Pop is, at times, amazingly delusional.

- Thinks of Hill as a defensive stopper and backup PG
- Considers Bonner a valuable role player, and floor-spreader off the bench
- Thought of RJ as a spot-up shooter, in a half-court offense, and a good defender

Each one of these fallacies has proven him wrong, time and again, but he still doesn't seem to get it.

That's 3 non-producing players in the rotation. Is it any wonder why this team went home early? Does Pop really think that the Spurs can contend with this formula, going forward?

Because of Duncan's enormous next-year salary (21 mil) their limited free agent prospects, and low draft position, the Spurs will be very limited as to their options in upgrading the roster. Hill does indeed have some trade value and could very well net an opportunity to upgrade a roster, that is still very lean on athleticism, size and length.
You know Senor you and I always seem to go at it. I enjoy the things you say but I disagree with you sometimes. Understand Bonner plays NO DEFENSE AT ALL. But I do believe he is a good Role player and a floor spreader.:lol Now let me explain Bonner was brought in to come in SPREAD THE FLOOR by hitting threes. Which he does. The problem is what is messing Duncan up now. Without having a doubleteam threat down low Duncan can't be Robinson for us and Bonner can't try to be Horry. See even Rasho and Oberto could score and command a double every once in a while. but after Oberto we have had no help down low at all which has in turn screwed everythin else up. Bonner is a good role player IF we have the right pieces to compliment him. He still needs to go though LOL we need shots in the Playoffs not just the regular season

tim_duncan_fan
04-30-2011, 10:54 PM
It's probably because there is relatively little value on this team for us to use to get better.

I like him, but really, I don't know if he's gonna grow into this all-star caliber player. He doesn't seem able to get past his timidity.

I like him, but if we can get value for him then we made as well trade him.

I want a SF with length and strength/athleticism and another B-level big man that's taller than 6'9 more than anything. If he can help us get one of these pieces, so be it.

HankChinaski
04-30-2011, 11:04 PM
Vasquez is going to be a really good player in the NBA. He is not a fraid of anyone or any situation. Parker didn't let him do anything. Maybe Vasquez showed the world what kind of "stud" he will be when he is a veteran on a championship contending team.

Vasquez is the next big steal of the draft. IMO!

Yeah a few years down the road he could turn out that way, not a rookie off the bench that hasn't had a impressive rookie season at all. He was sloppier and slower in the regular season and then just poof came out and did this. I'm calling more BS on our defense than his ability to be stud now.

timtonymanu
04-30-2011, 11:58 PM
A year ago, I would have said Hill is untouchable.

Now, I don't feel the same. He is what he is and I don't think he can get any better. He really regressed this season. There were flashes when he took over games, but he's just too mentally weak most of the time. He really needs to pick up his aggressiveness on the road. If the Spurs can find someone more reliable, then yes Hill should be traded.