PDA

View Full Version : Can Memphis Advance to the Finals?

InTheCrust
04-30-2011, 06:59 PM
NOT A TROLL THREAD. REALLY.

Think about it. We've just seen them manhandle the Spurs. Why? Matchup nightmares. That team is fucking deep. Randolph and Gasol went to work and the million year-old duo of McDyess and Duncan. Tony Allen was putting guards in check left, right and center. Sam Young and OJ Mayo were making it rain like it was nothing. And Mike Conley was running circles around Parker.

Onto the second round. Durant & Westbrook? Throw Tony Allen and Shane Battier at 'em, plus a little help when needed. OKC's new bigs? Apparently Ibaka will start off the series by defending Z-Bo. (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=1521&line=160165&spln=1) I don't know how effective that will be, but they'll probably just convert to Z-Bo-Perk later on. Kendrick Perkins on Gasol? Well, this isn't that vagina that he's used to bullying, so I wouldn't think that he'd take advantage of him like it was 2008. As for guard play, Memphis has got it. Wing players? Check. Bigs? Not even a question. Can they beat the Thunder? Fuck yes.

Actual Prediction: OKC in 5
There's gonna be a lot of physical play, competitive even. But Tony Allen won't be allowed to mug anyone like he did last series. Hell, he'll probably foul out in the first half just by breathing on Durant wrong. That Thunder crowd will intimidate the hell out of refs into swallowing their whistles like they did in Game 1 of Thunder-Nuggets on the goaltend. But if the series is called even, we might have a Grizz-Lakers matchup...

This is where shit gets interesting. After the gift the Grizz FO gave to Lakers, time eventually returned the favor. The Gasol-Gasol Matchup would be the most intriguing of it all, but if I were Lionel Hollins, I would let Randolph feast on the priss, and put Marc on Baby Drew (the REAL frontline monster). Tony Allen would then have to be unleashed on Kobe, resulting in TA sticking his foot up Kobe's ass without penalty. Let's be realistic, he doesn't get Durant level calls, now does he? Mike Conley would run circles around Fish, and the bench would throw everything and the kitchen sink at Gasol, knowing the rest of the bench will give zero productivity.

I won't even speculate on whether the Lakers would actually advance past Dallas. The Mavs are actually looking pretty decent, which could never be said for years past. But we'll see what happens when the time comes.

For the record, I think Memphis can stick foot up Dallas' ass too. Regardless of that fact, the Grizzlies will be contenders when Rudy Gay returns next season. Count on it.

Axe Murderer
04-30-2011, 07:04 PM
For the record, I think Memphis can stick foot up Dallas' ass too.

So if the Blazers had dropped to the 8th seed and beat the Spurs in 5, would you have said the same thing about them too?

InTheCrust
04-30-2011, 07:09 PM
So if the Blazers had dropped to the 8th seed and beat the Spurs in 5, would you have said the same thing about them too?

It's like saying Dallas could have lost to the Raptors in the first round of '07. Not fucking happening. I honestly think those version of the Mavs could have beaten 28 other teams in a seven-game series. But it didn't happen because they got unlucky by catching GS, because of matchup nightmares and corporate knowledge. The Spurs would have beaten New Orleans or Portland in the first round had they yielded them. Each to different extents, but the same ultimate result. After that, it's beyond me.

SpursDynasty
04-30-2011, 07:21 PM
No, Memphis can't advance to the Finals. They tanked like cowards because they fear LA.

BRHornet45
04-30-2011, 07:25 PM
son they are indeed good enough to have a legit chance to make it to the finals IF the NBA was a fair sports competition. however whenever the NBA is losing money and in desperate need of big name stars and large market teams in the spotlight, Memphis doesn't have a chance in hell unless they can shoot a miraculous 80% or better throughout the entire series to even out the cheating that will take place. I think the absolute furthest the NBA will allow them to go is the conference finals and even that is a stretch. its gonna be Lakers vs Heat.

Bito Corleone
04-30-2011, 08:02 PM
son they are indeed good enough to have a legit chance to make it to the finals IF the NBA was a fair sports competition..
So BR, are you saying that Memphis didn't actually just beat the Spurs, but rather the series was fixed? I know both SA and MEM are small markets, but everyone loves a good "underdog" story. So by your logic, it would have been in the best interest of the NBA for Memphis to win the series, even if they go nowhere from here forward.

ElNono
04-30-2011, 08:03 PM
tbh, no.

BRHornet45
04-30-2011, 08:11 PM
So BR, are you saying that Memphis didn't actually just beat the Spurs, but rather the series was fixed? I know both SA and MEM are small markets, but everyone loves a good "underdog" story. So by your logic, it would have been in the best interest of the NBA for Memphis to win the series, even if they go nowhere from here forward.

son everyone knew from the beginning of the season that the Spurs were nothing more than fools gold who were blessed with pure luck the entire season. they obviously were not as good as their record showed. however this is the NBA and I don't doubt anything when it comes to rigging games. so far in the first round the teams that clearly deserved to win their series without help from the NBA were Memphis, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Atlanta, and Boston.

Los Angeles, Miami, and Chicago all received ridiculous amounts of help from the league in order to win their series. Now I'm not saying that these three teams couldn't have won their series without help from refs, but the NBA didn't want to take any chances so they stepped in to insure victory for each. we will see far more cheating as the playoffs continue though. that was only the first round.

Bito Corleone
04-30-2011, 08:16 PM
lol at actually thinking your bees had any chance against LA with or without the help of the refs.

lol using the "rigged" argument only when it works in your favor

At least some (if not most) of the Spurs fans here will tell you the Spurs lost this series because they were outmatched and outplayed, instead of being delusional enough to blame it on something else to put their minds at ease.

BRHornet45
04-30-2011, 08:18 PM
lol at actually thinking your bees had any chance against LA with or without the help of the refs.

son obviously you have trouble reading and comprehending....

"Now I'm not saying that these three teams couldn't have won their series without help from refs, but the NBA didn't want to take any chances so they stepped in to insure victory for each."

InTheCrust
04-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Los Angeles, Miami, and Chicago all received ridiculous amounts of help from the league in order to win their series.
son, thats exactly what i think! no way the lakers win a fair match against the King CP3. i feel for you, gettin cheated and what not. .

but you showed the lakers outstanding holes, so God bless.

Isitjustme?
04-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Nope. Both OKC and LA are better.

Bito Corleone
04-30-2011, 08:27 PM
son obviously you have trouble reading and comprehending....

"Now I'm not saying that these three teams couldn't have won their series without help from refs, but the NBA didn't want to take any chances so they stepped in to insure victory for each."
You're still implying the the help was needed, even if you preface it by saying otherwise just to cover yourself when you get called out on it.

It's easy enough to see that you intentionally cover both sides of the argument in most situations for the sole purpose of being able to refer to: "well I said this also, so blah blah blah."

You flip flopped all season long between completely shitting on the Hornets, or saying they could win 65 games, the same way you went back and forth on CP3 all year. Pick a side and role with it. Don't say: "The NBA is fixed, except when it come to the Spurs [or insert some other team]"

Indazone
04-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Memphis is looking damn good! They have too lockdown defenders in Tony Allen and Shane Battier. They are very long in the front court with Gasol, Z-Bo, Arthur, and even Hadaddi on the bench. Their backcourt is very talented with Conely, and Mayo. They are starting to gel and they are going to pound teams with their physicality on the inside. They have the guards to kill you too and enough flexibility on their wings to match up with anyone. They have beaten OKC 3-1 during the regular season. I'm not giving the edge to the Thunder at all in this matchup.

Giuseppe
04-30-2011, 08:30 PM
You're still implying the the help was needed, even if you preface it by saying otherwise just to cover yourself when you get called out on it.

It's easy enough to see that you intentionally cover both sides of the argument in most situations for the sole purpose of being able to refer to: "well I said this also, so blah blah blah."

You flip flopped all season long between completely shitting on the Hornets, or saying they could win 65 games, the same way you went back and forth on CP3 all year. Pick a side and role with it. Don't say: "The NBA is fixed, except when it come to the Spurs [or insert some other team]"

The goods.

JJ Hickson
04-30-2011, 08:32 PM
NOT A TROLL THREAD. REALLY.

Think about it. We've just seen them manhandle the Spurs. Why?

Because the spurs aren't a very good basketball team.

siraulo23
04-30-2011, 10:51 PM
No. Perkins, Ibaka and Mohammed take turns on wearing randolph out
Sam Young, Mike Conley are not going to be given practice jumpshots

Thunder has the athleticism to match up with the Grizzlies speed and toughness

OKC gets a lot of free throws due to Grizzlies physicality and will not be intimidated going to the rim

Venti Quattro
04-30-2011, 11:06 PM
They are the GSW of 2011. The buck stops in the WCSF.

Jacob1983
04-30-2011, 11:08 PM
It's not a part of Darth Stern's plan.

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
04-30-2011, 11:16 PM
I don't know if they can get to the finals this year, but they have an open window to challenge for it for a few years. No one was talking about them as contenders threatening to rise in the west in years to come until now. OKC and Portland have been thought to be the future of the west, now Memphis is in the mix. The east thinks they are becoming the NBA powerhouse now, but maybe not yet.

Jacob1983
04-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Be honest, do you think Stern would let it happen? He would kill himself if they got to the Finals.