PDA

View Full Version : So, tell me about Dasean Butler

rmt
04-30-2011, 09:19 PM
and whether he can take over for the totally underwhelming RJ.

04-30-2011, 09:38 PM
can he shoot like sam young?

chazley
04-30-2011, 09:48 PM
He is still limping around, still a bit over-weight. He would have been a top 15-20 pick before his injury which cost him his whole rookie season. He isn't overly athletic or great at any one facet of the game, but he is a good all around player.

Are we talking about a fat Corey Brewer here?

SenorSpur
04-30-2011, 09:50 PM
I liked Sam Young a lot coming out of Pitt, and I was disappointed that Memphis took him one pick ahead of the Spurs. After watching him consistently destroy the Spurs in the playoffs, I like him even more.

chazley
04-30-2011, 09:53 PM
I liked Sam Young a lot coming out of Pitt, and I was disappointed that Memphis took him one pick ahead of the Spurs. After watching him consistently destroy the Spurs in the playoffs, I like him even more.

Uhhh, what series were you watching? He had two good games, with a high of 18 points. He has no 3-point shot, and although he was highly effective with the long twos against us, judging by his shot mechanics it's not something that will keep up long term. He is a tough, rugged defender but not someone I'd say 'destroyed us'.

Nathan89
04-30-2011, 09:57 PM

Uhhh, what series were you watching? He had two good games, with a high of 18 points. He has no 3-point shot, and although he was highly effective with the long twos against us, judging by his shot mechanics it's not something that will keep up long term. He is a tough, rugged defender but not someone I'd say 'destroyed us'.

SenorSpur just got sample sized.

Honestly Senor you should trust his take he has a history of being spot on.

chazley
04-30-2011, 10:14 PM

I know you're being sarcastic, obviously, but I was dead wrong about Bonner. He was a huge drag on us against the Grizzlies for a few games.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Sam scored ten points a game in 22 minutes per, shot 51% from the floor and 38% from three. The only Spur that topped those percentages was Splitter who shot 63%.

yavozerb
04-30-2011, 10:20 PM
He is still limping around, still a bit over-weight. He would have been a top 15-20 pick before his injury which cost him his whole rookie season. He isn't overly athletic or great at any one facet of the game, but he is a good all around player.

Have you seen him play since the injury? If not I would probably wait and see what exactly he could provide following a major injury. I agree he WAS a good all-around player, but will see what he can be in the NBA following major knee surgery..

HankChinaski
04-30-2011, 10:26 PM
well six months till training camp albeit a lock out. We can see where he is with rehab done and getting into basketball shape and form all over again. Low risk, High reward signing. it's all up in the air.

elemento
04-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Young played well, but destroy is just not the right word here.

The only guy that destroyed the Spurs was Randolph.

Obstructed_View
04-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Young played well, but destroy is just not the right word here.

The only guy that destroyed the Spurs was Randolph.

I think Randolph deserves a new verb. 'Facefuckliterated' might work.

chazley
04-30-2011, 10:43 PM
To be honest, I was HUGELY disappointed with Bonner in this series. I thought he would go off against two slow bigs like ZBo and Marc, but if he isn't capable of hitting threes against those two in the playoffs, there's no hope for Matt Bonner on any playoff team. He is still a GREAT weapon to have for the regular season though... which no longer interests me.

I still don't think my main point was way off though... Bonner is such a good regular season player that I wanted to get a larger playoff sample size to have a better judge of if he was good or not in the playoffs. We now have the sample size that says Bonner is no more than a situational playoff player.

All along I've said Tiago should be our third big, Matt fourth, Dejuan 5th. Only thing I'd change is Dejuan 4th, Bonner 5th.

yavozerb
04-30-2011, 10:45 PM
To be honest, I was HUGELY disappointed with Bonner in this series. I thought he would go off against two slow bigs like ZBo and Marc, but if he isn't capable of hitting threes against those two in the playoffs, there's no hope for Matt Bonner on any playoff team. He is still a GREAT weapon to have for the regular season though... which no longer interests me.

I still don't think my main point was way off though... Bonner is such a good regular season player that I wanted to get a larger playoff sample size to have a better judge of if he was good or not in the playoffs. We now have the sample size that says Bonner is no more than a situational playoff player.

All along I've said Tiago should be our third big, Matt fourth, Dejuan 5th. Only thing I'd change is Dejuan 4th, Bonner 5th.
I thought this thread was about Dasean Butler?

chazley
04-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I thought this thread was about Dasean Butler?

Just responding to a comment.

Phila, best comparison you can make between DeSean and a current or well known player?

ChuckD
04-30-2011, 11:02 PM

Probably not.

Sam Young's 3G% for the year was 34% (career 26%), which is below NBA average (36%). The bar isn't that high.

ChuckD
04-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Sam scored ten points a game in 22 minutes per, shot 51% from the floor and 38% from three. The only Spur that topped those percentages was Splitter who shot 63%.

HankChinaski
04-30-2011, 11:07 PM
In college he was made out to be closer to a Paul Pierce/Caron Butler type of player

edit.

Coming into the draft that is.

chazley
04-30-2011, 11:20 PM
In college he was made out to be closer to a Paul Pierce/Caron Butler type of player

edit.

Haven't heard much about his offense, those kind of comparisons sure are lofty, and 70% of either of those players would be a great fit for our team if true.

rmt
05-01-2011, 08:38 AM

edit.

So, is his body type like PP (stocky) or Ariza-type (skinny)? The reason I ask is because the Spurs have wanted a long defensive 3 for so long when the elite SFs are PP/Lebron/Melo body type. That's probably why LA traded Ariza for Artest. Guess I'm just tired of seeing every Spur being posted up and backed down.

Also, is he a good defender?

yavozerb
05-01-2011, 08:45 AM
This guy has not played competative basketball in over a year..Nobody (not even the spurs organization) knows what to expect from this guy. Most of us can give a run down on his skillset from his college days when he was healthy but he is not the same player and probably never will be that player again with his major knee injury. This guy might be the only player in the NBA hoping for a lockout so its give him more time to recover and refine his game..

ChuckD
05-01-2011, 09:50 AM
The college 3-point line is a joke and Butler didn't even shoot from there all that often.

5.2 3s per game as a Senior, 5.1 as a Junior. Unless his shot looks like Marion's, Chip will have him shooting 36-38% from the NBA 3 point line.

Mal
05-01-2011, 09:54 AM

He was way better player in NCAA

ChuckD
05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
This guy has not played competative basketball in over a year..Nobody (not even the spurs organization) knows what to expect from this guy. Most of us can give a run down on his skillset from his college days when he was healthy but he is not the same player and probably never will be that player again with his major knee injury. This guy might be the only player in the NBA hoping for a lockout so its give him more time to recover and refine his game..

A torn ACL isn't a career changer like it used to be 30-40 years ago. In fact, from a longevity standpoint, it's worse to tear or hole your knee cartilage. You can re-attach the ACL, rehab, and restore stability. You can never replace the cushioning for your bones provided by the now-gone cartilage.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM

You don't need a large playoff sample size to call Bonner a playoff scrub. We've all known it for over two years now.

5in10
05-01-2011, 02:11 PM
http://multimedia.foxsports.com/m/video/31505625/draft-preview-da-sean-butler.htm
highlight here and
AHBeilhy1BI
little bit of highlights here.

wildbill2u
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
A torn ACL isn't a career changer like it used to be 30-40 years ago. In fact, from a longevity standpoint, it's worse to tear or hole your knee cartilage. You can re-attach the ACL, rehab, and restore stability. You can never replace the cushioning for your bones provided by the now-gone cartilage.

Actually, they have an operation to replace cartilege now. They use cartilege from pigs which is similar enough to human cartilege to work.

The only drawback is an uncontrollable urge to wallow in mud occasionally.

yavozerb
05-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I found this article and could provide some hope for Desean:

The ABCs of Al Harrington's Torn ACL

By Tom Abdenour
Alone, the letters "a. c. l." might not mean much while completing a crossword puzzle. However to a competitive athlete the term "ACL" might represent a significant knee injury that can cause heartache and disrupt a promising career. Case in point: Al Harrington of the Indiana Pacers.

Harrington
Al was on his way to a "career year" with the Pacers when he injured his knee, trying to fight through a screen in the fourth quarter of the Pacers' 98-94 loss to the Celtics on Jan. 23. He tore the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) in his left knee and underwent season ending reconstruction surgery.

Figure 1: Knee Model with ACL

Figure 2: MRI of Normal ACL

Figure 3: MRI of Torn ACL
(Photos by emedx.com)

The ACL is very critical to an athlete because it provides so much stability to the knee. It is deeply embedded in the knee joint and connects the femur (the thigh bone) to the tibia (the shin bone). (Figure 1) This ligament prevents the knee joint from moving to far forward and back and helps absorb many of the rotational forces the knee encounters. When it is damaged, the athlete will feel a sense of instability with activities of every day life as well as athletic activity. If not corrected, this instability can compromise an athlete's ability as well as cause problems later in life.

When Al sustained his injury, he was evaluated by the Pacers' medical staff in order to establish a preliminary diagnosis. The following day, he had an MRI to make the final determination. The MRI is extremely sensitive to torn ligaments such as the ACL and is a valuable tool in diagnosing injuries such as this. (Figures 2 & 3) Once the extent of all of the damage was determined, the next step is the decision as to how to take care of the problem. In this situation, ACL reconstruction surgery was chosen.

Al had the surgical procedure performed by Dr. Sandy Kunkel, Orthopedic Team Physician of the Pacers. To be successful at this surgery, Dr. Kunkel needs to be somewhat of a carpenter and construction engineer as well as a skilled surgeon. The ACL reconstruction involves removing a long portion of the patellar tendon, which is located at the bottom of the kneecap. This graft is surgically attached to the tibia at one end and the femur at the other and essentially replaces the damaged ligament. There are precise points that the surgeon needs to place the graft at in order to maximize the efficiency of the new ligament, and minimize complications from the surgery.

“I was very pleased with the result of the surgery,” Kunkel said. “We reconstructed his ACL and repaired cartilage damage. We expect Al to make a full recovery. He is out for the season, but we are extremely optimistic about his future. We expect him to be ready for training camp.”

Rehabilitation of the ACL reconstruction is also critical, and it starts in the recovery room immediately after surgery. A machine was placed under Al's knee that would move it up and down for hours. This early motion is designed to reduce the chances of knee joint stiffness down the road. As time progresses, Al will spend a great deal of time in rehab under the watchful eyes of athletic trainer David Craig and the Pacers Medical staff. He will regain his flexibility, strength, and fitness through many of the usual rehab modalities. Ultimately, he will begin light shooting and court drills to re-train his leg for playing basketball.

Al has joined an exclusive club of young NBA players who have had ACL reconstruction, such as Bonzi Wells and Baron Davis (who tore his in college). These players have come back to excel without further knee problems. Through hard work, Al will be able to resume his career where it was cut short this season.