PDA

View Full Version : Five RJ's trade ideas

Bruno
05-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Richard Jefferson has been, again, a huge disappointment this year. He ended his season with a 0 points in 10 minutes performance. Trading him should be a priority but he has a horrible contract ($30.5M/3 years).

Five realistic or, at least, semi-realistic, RJ's trade ideas:

1) RJ, Dice and the 29th pick to Charlotte for Stephen Jackson ($19.3M/2 years) and Diop ($14.3M/ 2 years).
Stephen Jackson is better than RJ and has a better contract, so Spurs must take Diop's contract and gave up the 29th pick to offset that.
Charlotte does this trade to create $7.3M in additional cap space for the 2012 summer.

2) 3 teams trade:
- Spurs trade RJ, Dice and Bonner for Rip Hamilton ($25M/ 2 years) and Charlie Villanueva ($24.2M/ 3years).
- Pacers trade James Posey ($7.6M/1 year) for Matt Bonner.
- Pistons trade Villanueva and Hamilton for RJ, Dice and James Posey.
Pacers get additional cap space for this summer and a backup PF.
Pistons saves some money and get $10.3M in 2012 cap space.

3) RJ and the 29th pick to Warriors for Andris Biedrins ($27M/3 years).
Both players have a similar contract and struggle with their current team.

4) RJ to nets for Outlaw ($28M/ 4 years) and Petro ($6.8M/2 years).
Outlaw has a less worst contract than RJ so Spurs had also to take Petro.

5)RJ and the 29th pick to Phoenix for Josh Childress ($27M/ 4 years) and Gani Lawal (min ungaranteed contract).
Both players would be a better fit with their new team.

There are some other options available but they are either less realistic or are really bad for Spurs.

Juggity
05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
2) 3 teams trade:
- Spurs trade RJ, Dice and Bonner for Rip Hamilton ($25M/ 2 years) and Charlie Villanueva ($24.2M/ 3years).

Unfortunately Dice has stated his intention to retire, so I doubt that trade works out

pawe
05-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Id take anyone, just ship this piece of shit out of San Antonio.

Leetonidas
But he can be traded, then retire afterwords, right?

Tony P's Rap CD
Those sound great and all, but after watching RJ choke on donkey balls for the last two years, do you think anyone really wants RJ, even if it means eventual cap space and picks?

eric365
05-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Unfortunately Dice has stated his intention to retire, so I doubt that trade works out

Yes Dice will retire and it gives even more chance to the trade

More cap space for the team acquering his contract

eric365
05-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Trade 1 is the one that get spurs much better IMO.
Jackson would really help on both side of the court

Let's hope Charlotte is still desperate in immediate Cap space and trade him for less value like they did with Wallace

And let's hope another team doesn't propose cap space and better pieces. Because it's not that difficult to beat this spurs offer of Dice and RJ

Are the trade exceptions owned by Cleveland and Toronto still active ?
If that's the case, If I am Charlotte I would prefer a trade exception than 5 millions expiring and a 30 millions / 3 years bad contract

Juggity
05-01-2011, 10:23 AM
More cap space for the team acquering his contract

o i c :tu

kobyz
05-01-2011, 10:40 AM
only the last two options are realistic in my mind and i wouldn't do the last option, the Nets trade is reasonable but not somthing stimulate for us.

and all this stuff are pointless to me cause i'm so sad about TD and Manu not having another chance to a ring, not with our cheap owner and the team we have right now, i will not stand they playing in their last years for nothing, i just wish the management will be loyal for them and trade them.
what about TD and Manu for Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan(sign and trade), it will give TD and Manu opportunity to play next to real franchise player and create a contender, the Spurs will get two great young players to build for the future.

pawe
05-01-2011, 10:51 AM
and all this stuff are pointless to me cause i'm so sad about TD and Manu not having another chance to a ring, not with our cheap owner and the team we have right now, i will not stand they playing in their last years for nothing, i just wish the management will be loyal for them and trade them.
what about TD and Manu for Eric Gordon and DeAndre Jordan(sign and trade), it will give TD and Manu opportunity to play next to real franchise player and create a contender, the Spurs will get two great young players to build for the future.

Manu and TD will retire in SA. No way in hell will the Spurs trade them away.

First of all, the idea is stupid, why is trading them away being loyal? They are on the tail end of their careers and firmly planted in SA already. You think they will appreciate starting over in a different city?
Second, the Spurs will lose a ton of fans and sales of merchandise because those 2 bring the most fans to the team.
Lastly, I just dont want to see them wearing a different uniform, it'll just break my already suffering heart.

Mr.Bottomtooth
05-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Number 1, 3, and 5 (in that order) I favor very much. Pulling off any of those trades I think would kickstart the offseason much better than we could've thought of.

elemento
05-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Let's see:

1st trade - I think the Bobcats do it just to get rid of Diop. The problem here is that with this trade the Spurs would have to pay the lux tax, right? If that's the case, i don't see this happening at all.

2nd trade - We have too many guards in our roster and i think the Pistons would rather trade Ben Gordon. And to be honest i don't see a headcase like CV in a Spur uniform.

3rd trade - The Spurs would do it in a heartbeat, but i think the Warriors would not. I think they could do better than that if they have the intention to trade Biedrins.

4th trade - I think the Nets do it in a heartbeat and we wouldn't even have to take Petro's contract back. RJ was bad this season, but Outlaw was atrocious. I don't mind having Outlaw. I think he would be a better fit than Dick and and think Dick would play better in New Jersey as well.

5th trade - I would do it in a heartbeat, but i think PHX would not. Childress did not get many opportunities because PHX is stacked in the SF position. i don't think they're going to give up on him so early, especially not getting Dick Jefferson back.

ElNono
05-01-2011, 11:29 AM
:pop: "RJ just needs to run around some cones with me in the offseason and he'll be back to shooting 60%... Not worried about him"

SenorSpur
05-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Trade scenario #4

This is the one that makes the most sense.

Warlord23
05-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Scenario #4 is the most likely of the 5.

The Bobcats are likely to get better value for Jax in terms of youth/picks/expirings from a team looking to upgrade their wing position. IDK why the Pacers should do trade #2 - if they wanted a backup PF I'd rather take a chance on a mid/low pick or a D-leaguer than Matty. Although the Warriors like smallball, I doubt they send Biedrins in exchange for trash like RJ. Also the Suns IMO would rather give Childress another year to show something than pick up RJ.

lmbebo
05-01-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure the Suns would hold onto Childress. Thats a possibility.

Biedrens - I'm not sure how that would work. I thought about the it the other night as well. But with Keith Smart out and a new coach coming in, they may hold onto him.

I like option #1, just don't know if Jordan will go after that. I think he'd be more interesting in cap space and picks to rebuild the team.

sefant77
05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Bobcats probably have max cap space in 2012 even without this trade, so no huge need to do such a trade. Specially with Jax being way better than RJ, shorter contract etc.

Biedrins developing standing still, but he is still a young center with upside.

Swapping a declining 31y old wing for a 25y old center with upside? Not gonna happen.

BlackSwordsMan
05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Why would anyone trade a penny for a piece of shit

100%duncan
05-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Option 1 would be best but not eventually happening

Nathan89
05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Mine that I posted in the 2011-2012 trade thread

Chalie Vill.+ Resigned Prince

for

Rj,Blair,Anderson,Dice(retires Pistons save some cash)

-Prince is not expected to return to the Pistons
-Charlie is over paid for the same amount of years as RJ.
-If Dice retires the Piston save some cash. Right?
-Everyone wants to give Kidd all the credit for RJ's success but RJ performed very well with the Bucks
-Rj shot half the amount he did with the Bucks this year. His numbers will increase with the Pistons. He will be a better player for the Pistons than Charlie.
-On top of saving money allowing the Pistons to sign multiple FA they get some young pieces. Blair,Anderson,and maybe others

MannyIsGod
05-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Of course it works out. Thats the best part of it, Dice retires so its basically trading capspace.

kobyz
05-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Manu and TD will retire in SA. No way in hell will the Spurs trade them away.

First of all, the idea is stupid, why is trading them away being loyal? They are on the tail end of their careers and firmly planted in SA already. You think they will appreciate starting over in a different city?
Second, the Spurs will lose a ton of fans and sales of merchandise because those 2 bring the most fans to the team.
Lastly, I just dont want to see them wearing a different uniform, it'll just break my already suffering heart.

so you think TD and Manu prefer to play their final faw years they have left for a team playing for nothing(Spurs lack a franchise player in order to be a real contender) instead for a ring?!?!

also to see them wearing a different uniform will be hard for me too, but what will be harder to me and i think for every Spurs fan also is to see them wasting their couple of years they left in them instead of trying to get another ring that they sure desire cause they competitive as they come!

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-01-2011, 01:28 PM

It wouldn't be any different than when we traded Ferry's "contract" after he retired.

mexicanjunior
05-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Love the first trade, hope to see it materialize...

Ari Gold
05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
jefferson + hill for scola

Nathan89
05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Love the first trade, hope to see it materialize...

I don't see the Bobcats giving up those two players for RJ. S.Jax is their leading scorer.

da_suns_fan
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Im actually surprsied most of these trades seem plausible.

wildbill2u
05-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Would Rj & Anderson to Denver for J.R. Smith work? Both Denver and Smith want to end his stay there.

We pick up an unstable 6'6" shooting guard, but we're trying to corner the market on those mid 6 footers anyway anyway.

widowmaker
05-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Why doesn't RJ retire already instead, everyone would be better off if he did.

TJastal
05-01-2011, 02:48 PM

for

-Everyone wants to give Kidd all the credit for RJ's success but RJ performed very well with the Bucks
-Rj shot half the amount he did with the Bucks this year. His numbers will increase with the Pistons. He will be a better player for the Pistons than Charlie.
-On top of saving money allowing the Pistons to sign multiple FA they get some young pieces. Blair,Anderson,and maybe others

This is good.

DesignatedT
05-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I dont know about RJ for Rip Hamilton idea. Terrible contract for terrible contract. It might take something like that to get this done though. Would you guys be happy with that? Even though it gives us another SG we dont need?

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
What about RJ for Rip Hamilton? Terrible contract for terrible contract. It might take something like that to get this done. Would you guys be happy with that? Even though it gives us another SG we dont need?

No, this team needs more size and defense. I'd rather package R.J and Blair for Varejao.

xtremesteven33
05-01-2011, 03:07 PM
They say one mans trash is another mans treasure...

The only team that RJ would realistically thrive in would be Golden State. No defense necesary, just run and gun and dont really give a shit about winning.

Get his ass outta here...

Bruno
05-01-2011, 03:11 PM
If Spurs do a trade including Dice, they need to do it before July because his contract became fully guaranteed on July 1st. He can always postponed this date but it would be more simple for Spurs to do a trade now or during the draft.

Some teams can decide to wait until the new CBA to do trades/moves but Spurs can't wait July if they want to use Dice's contract that is one of their best trade asset.

JamStone
05-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Rip Hamilton's 2012-13 salary is only partially guaranteed. I believe only about $3 million is guaranteed (in effect the equivalent of a buyout in baseball). So his contract doesn't look nearly as bad. Next season's salary is the only heavy money invested in him. The trade idea in the OP actually adds money to the Pistons payroll.

A straight up RJ for Rip trade makes even less sense considering that. Essentially RJ's $30 million, 3 year deal for Rip's (approximately) $16 million over two years with the second year $3 some million. Would be a foolish trade for Detroit.

dunkman
05-01-2011, 03:33 PM
RJ didn't suffered some terrible injury nor he's too old. It's common knowledge that it's difficult to adjust to Pop system, so I don't think other teams perceive RJ as scrub. With some plays called for him, he would be at least an efficient 15-18 ppg and 4-5 rpg SF for another team.

The Spurs can showcase him, running the offense trough him at the start of the season. There aren't good trade prospects in the off season, but when some teams underachieve many GM's take the risk to trade and there are good players available.

The Spurs need an all-star big man, an defensive big wouldn't be enough to make the Spurs contenders.

The Spurs have various good options at SF for the next season also Anderson seems talented, so RJ may be expandable. Prince, Battier or Kirilenko are good, if the Spurs could sign of them for the MLE and arrange a S&T for another it would be even better.

The team has to add as much talent as possible this off season, regardless of the position, to be able to pull a trade and have enough quality players left.

JamStone
05-01-2011, 03:39 PM

for

Pistons don't save money. Prince is a free agent and the Pistons can let him walk, and they have two young small forwards on the roster they like in Jerebko and Daye. The Pistons would be adding money in this deal, not saving money even if they don't have to pay Dice a dime. And they don't add one player that helps them. Small forward is not a need.

Richard Jefferson turns 31 in a couple of months. He has three years, $30 million left on his contract because no way he doesn't take his option in the last year. The Pistons are not in a position to add a player like Jefferson when they are in complete rebuild mode. Jefferson is exactly the opposite player they'd want to add to the roster at the moment considering the position he plays, his age, and his money.

Don't want Blair. Don't want Anderson. The deal stinks from all angles for the Pistons.

Nathan89
05-01-2011, 03:39 PM
This is good.

Charlie Vill. only played 22min per game last year. I think this would be a great deal for both teams. Rj could play 30 plus min and score 18ppg.

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Charlie Vill. only played 22min per game last year. I think this would be a great deal for both teams. Rj could play 30 plus min and score 18ppg.

Bad value for Pistons-They have Daye at the SF spot, who improved a lot last year and is being paid essentially nothing. At the same time, they have Jerekbo to back him up, who like Daye, gets paid essentially nothing. No reason to add Jefferson's salary and talent to the mix; which would just stunt Daye and Jerekbo's growth as players due to playing time.

Pistons would say no in a heartbeat.

Bruno
05-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Rip Hamilton's 2012-13 salary is only partially guaranteed. I believe only about $3 million is guaranteed (in effect the equivalent of a buyout in baseball). So his contract doesn't look nearly as bad.

Hamilton last year of his contract is $9M guaranteed not $3M. Unless Rip trully sukcs, I would rather pay $12.5M for one year with him than $9M for nothing. It doesn't really makes his contract less worst.

JamStone
05-01-2011, 03:52 PM
My mistake, I could have sworn it was the other way around.

venitian navigator
05-01-2011, 03:56 PM
i like n. 5...rj is at his best in a running team and childress could be a good defender. win win for both teams...

Nathan89
05-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Pistons don't save money. Prince is a free agent and the Pistons can let him walk, and they have two young small forwards on the roster they like in Jerebko and Daye. The Pistons would be adding money in this deal, not saving money even if they don't have to pay Dice a dime. And they don't add one player that helps them. Small forward is not a need.

Richard Jefferson turns 31 in a couple of months. He has three years, $30 million left on his contract because no way he doesn't take his option in the last year. The Pistons are not in a position to add a player like Jefferson when they are in complete rebuild mode. Jefferson is exactly the opposite player they'd want to add to the roster at the moment considering the position he plays, his age, and his money.

Don't want Blair. Don't want Anderson. The deal stinks from all angles for the Pistons.

Rj 9,282,000
Anderson1,486,000
Blair 986,000
Dice 5,220,000
16970000-dice=11,754,000
Charlie 7,540,000

Yeah you are right Pistons do not save money. If the Pistons did like the young players in the package that additional money wouldn't be a big deal. The 1.7 mil increase from Charlie's contract to Rj is what would matter. Rj is going to bring more than Charlie's 22mpg impact.

In order to make this happen we might have to give up Hill instead of Anderson. Or if Pistons are interested we could add the Spurs first round pick.

The Pistons rebuilding process is virtually the same with Charlie or with RJ. The possible deal breaker is if the Pistons see the guys you mention as future starters on the team. If the Pistons can accumulate enough young players they might be able to move Hamilton or Ben Gordon contract somewhere for another big contract that end just one year. This could benefit the rebuilding process.

I still see a possible deal.

Spurs Brazil
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM
I like all those options

RJ needs to GTFO

Hoops Czar
05-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Richard Jefferson has been, again, a huge disappointment this year. He ended his season with a 0 points in 10 minutes performance. Trading him should be a priority but he has a horrible contract ($30.5M/3 years).

1) RJ, Dice and the 29th pick to Charlotte for Stephen Jackson ($19.3M/2 years) and Diop ($14.3M/ 2 years).
Stephen Jackson is better than RJ and has a better contract, so Spurs must take Diop's contract and gave up the 29th pick to offset that.
Charlotte does this trade to create $7.3M in additional cap space for the 2012 summer.

2) 3 teams trade:

5)RJ and the 29th pick to Phoenix for Josh Childress ($27M/ 4 years) and Gani Lawal (min ungaranteed contract).

There are some other options available but they are either less realistic or are really bad for Spurs.

The 29th pick in a weak draft isn't going to be enough to sell any team on taking RJ. None of these proposals are realistic unless your talking from a Spurs standpoint. The only way you trade RJ is to package him with youth like Hill and/or Blair. No team wants a broken down has been who's deteriorating right before our eyes. Teams like Phoenix and Charlotte are looking to get younger, they would want no part of RJ.

Face it... RJ will always be the clunker that killed the Spurs dynasty.

JamStone
05-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Rj 9,282,000
Anderson1,486,000
Blair 986,000
Dice 5,220,000
16970000-dice=11,754,000
Charlie 7,540,000

Yeah you are right Pistons do not save money. If the Pistons did like the young players in the package that additional money wouldn't be a big deal. The 1.7 mil increase from Charlie's contract to Rj is what would matter. Rj is going to bring more than Charlie's 22mpg impact.

In order to make this happen we might have to give up Hill instead of Anderson. Or if Pistons are interested we could add the Spurs first round pick.

The Pistons rebuilding process is virtually the same with Charlie or with RJ. The possible deal breaker is if the Pistons see the guys you mention as future starters on the team. If the Pistons can accumulate enough young players they might be able to move Hamilton or Ben Gordon contract somewhere for another big contract that end just one year. This could benefit the rebuilding process.

I still see a possible deal.

The rebuilding process is not the same with Charlie or RJ. RJ is a small forward. The best position for both Jerebko and Daye is small forward. Acquiring RJ and playing him starter minutes stunts the growth of both those young players. It's why the Pistons will likely not re-sign Prince. And both have already started for the Pistons and both are viewed as starters. The Pistons don't have a young PF that Charlie (especially in his back-up minutes) will stunt. Even if Jerebko ends up playing some PF, because Charlie plays around 24 MPG, Jerebko can still get his time at PF and SF.

Plus, you disregard age. RJ is about to be 31 years old. He'll be 33 on the last year of his contract. Charlie is about to be 27 years old. He'll be 29 the last year of his contract. Considering the salary difference ($11 million versus $8.5 million) and the age of each player, as well as the position each plays makes the rebuilding process extremely different whether it's Charlie or RJ.

Jefferson already had a chance to show what he is when he's the first option on a team. He did it in Milwaukee. Even did it some his last couple seasons in New Jersey. They were bad teams. Detroit is not in the position to get an older veteran player to be "the guy" on their team only to continue to be a bad team and not develop its youth. And over and above that, they add salary? No way.

It's an extremely bad deal for the Pistons. It's something I see as not even remotely possible or realistic.

TJastal
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
The rebuilding process is not the same with Charlie or RJ. RJ is a small forward. The best position for both Jerebko and Daye is small forward. Acquiring RJ and playing him starter minutes stunts the growth of both those young players. It's why the Pistons will likely not re-sign Prince. And both have already started for the Pistons and both are viewed as starters. The Pistons don't have a young PF that Charlie (especially in his back-up minutes) will stunt. Even if Jerebko ends up playing some PF, because Charlie plays around 24 MPG, Jerebko can still get his time at PF and SF.

Plus, you disregard age. RJ is about to be 31 years old. He'll be 33 on the last year of his contract. Charlie is about to be 27 years old. He'll be 29 the last year of his contract. Considering the salary difference ($11 million versus $8.5 million) and the age of each player, as well as the position each plays makes the rebuilding process extremely different whether it's Charlie or RJ.

Jefferson already had a chance to show what he is when he's the first option on a team. He did it in Milwaukee. Even did it some his last couple seasons in New Jersey. They were bad teams. Detroit is not in the position to get an older veteran player to be "the guy" on their team only to continue to be a bad team and not develop its youth. And over and above that, they add salary? No way.

It's an extremely bad deal for the Pistons. It's something I see as not even remotely possible or realistic.

well that certainly puts that trade in perspective...

ace3g
05-01-2011, 05:22 PM
I've always been a fan of Josh Childress, so if the Spurs/Suns can make a trade that works involving RJ for Childress, go for it

Nathan89
05-01-2011, 05:34 PM

If the Pistons want to move Hamilton bad enough the trade could happen. Pistons save money and clear cap-space a year sooner.

Example
G. Hill+Rip for J.Terry

Pistons will have to have to trade one of the guys that you seem to like so much.

I know it's a pipe dream.

Ocotillo
05-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Bruno, would you move on if the Spurs traded Parker? Just curious if you are a Tony fan or a Spurs fan or both..........

suitedkings
05-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Only problem i see if Bonner is only in one of these trades.

NewJerSpur
05-01-2011, 06:12 PM

Bruno doing work, :toast

I like those trades in that order. Outlaw was nothing particularly special in NJ this year but he's a long 3 (which we've all been looking for for some time) that would work in rotation with Anderson and can even play the 4 if we're forced to go small. The guy has crazy athleticism and great range in his jumpeer 9and isn't scared to shoot, unlike RJ). Funny enough, around the time when trade talks were being discussed before we got Jefferson in the offseason I remember feeling stronger about him than RJ even though both were thrown out there as possible pickups.

I think Childress could be a nice piece/fit similar to what Bruce Bowen turned out to be for Spurs coming from Miami where he flew under the radar. He's akward on offense (especially his jumper) but he hustles and isn't scared to attack the rim (unlike RJ).

Thanks for breaking down the numbers as always Bruno.

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I would trade Jefferson for anything, at this point, but only the Charlotte trade would actually improve the Spurs, as a team..

Bruno
05-01-2011, 06:29 PM
And I agre with people liking more trades for Otulaw and Childress. These are my favorites too. If Spurs to a trade for Outlaw, I hope they can do it without taking back Petro even if it costs the 29th pick.

Bruno, would you move on if the Spurs traded Parker? Just curious if you are a Tony fan or a Spurs fan or both..........

Parker isn't even my favorite Spur.

diego
05-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I like the suns trade, and also it would be nice to get gortat from them too. Maybe they could use Dyess expiring + bonner + blair or hill to get it done.

TheSpurglar
05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
3rd trade - The Spurs would do it in a heartbeat, but i think the Warriors would not. I think they could do better than that if they have the intention to trade Biedrins.

I live in the Bay Area, watch a lot of Warriors basketball, and Andris Biedrins is either a terrible basketball player, or a basketball player that doesn't like basketball very much. It's hard to decide which. I'm not saying the Spurs wouldn't do the trade, but I wouldn't be happy about it at all.

Ocotillo
05-01-2011, 07:45 PM

:toast

Good deal, I enjoy your posts and would hate to lose you from the forum.

Stump
05-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I like the suns trade, and also it would be nice to get gortat from them too. Maybe they could use Dyess expiring + bonner + blair or hill to get it done.
We're not getting Gortat from them.

outmap
05-01-2011, 08:04 PM
1st trade - Unless Tim opts out and sign for less, this highly unlikely. Be if they can pull it off somehow, I'd sheep brix! :)

2nd trade - If you don't like Bonner, you'd hate CV. The guy has the worst shot selection on that team and as bad a defender Bonner is.

3rd trade - The only way the Warriors do this is if they can get another big in the draft or use their MLE on a big.

4th trade - A bad contract for a bad contract, fair. The Nets would do this and might worth a gamble for us or them. 50/50 ball trade.

5th trade - Phoenix won't do this. They will have more playing time for Childress now that Hill and Carter is a FA.

I'd like to prioritize the CHA trade, that would be sweet. The NJN trade would be a gamble but I'd rather gamble on Outlaw than RJ.

pancakechef
05-01-2011, 08:05 PM
THIS STILL DOES NOT HELP US.

People on here are clueless. WE DONT NEED A STOPPER. WE NEED A SCORER. And HAVING A SCORER DOESNT MATTER WHEN POP THINKS WE STILL HAVE TO PLAY 1930s pick and roll every play from the top of the key.

If Pop is dedicated on a half court tempo game like he tried to do in the Playoffs this year then we need the best scoring/defending center: howard.

Jefferson/Parker/Splitter for Howard and Turk.

Then pop could play his BS half court stall ball and still lose.

WTF happened to if I dont win a ring with this group I should get fired.... someone push his overrated behind out the door.

outmap
05-01-2011, 08:09 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3hudfhr

CHA doesn't like Jackson and Thomas, in fact, they tried to trade them first before Wallace. Unfortunately for them, no one wants those two.
But We Do! So Do It RC! :)

NewJerSpur
05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=3hudfhr

CHA doesn't like Jackson and Thomas, in fact, they tried to trade them first before Wallace. Unfortunately for them, no one wants those two.
But We Do! So Do It RC! :)

Always liked Thomas from a few years back and even more so now that he has a jumpshot and it has range.

objective
05-01-2011, 08:26 PM
My take on these trades:

I want Stephen Jackson, but I don't know how realistic the proposal is. I would be fine with the Spurs including Blair and Hill with RJ plus a pick and whatever to get it done though. Just don't think it's realistic. In fact I would just assume that all these trades would be negotiable to include both Blair and Hill to get it done.

I can't imagine that the Nets would want RJ. The whole reason he opted out was because he thought they'd pay him big money before wasting it on guys just like Outlaw and Petro. If they had wanted him, they would have signed him. And that was before he had an even worse year this year.

Don't see the Pistons trade as possible, for reasons other have stated.

Don't think the Warriors is possible either. They junked Maggette who was much better than RJ at similar enough money. Why lose Biedrins just to get a much, much worse player than Dorrell Wright?

I likewise have doubts that Sarver would waste even more money on RJ than he's spending on the still better player like Childress. Millions more in total and millions more per year? Maybe with Hill and Blair thrown in.

However, an alternate trade that I do think could work precisely because of Sarver's cheapness would be this:

McDyess's retiring deal for Pietrus, provided that's workable under the CBA. I don't know if that's doable depending on how Pietrus's player option is on dates compared to McDyess's guarantee date.

Pietrus isn't great or even good, but I'd rather see his mediocre, disappointing play over RJ every game for the rest of time.

TD 21
05-01-2011, 08:42 PM

2) 3 teams trade:

The 1st one is by far the best. Jackson is not ideally what I'd want at the three, but he is clearly better than Jefferson and would bring the type of toughness and swagger this team desperately needs.

Diop is severely limited and overpaid, but I actually think he'd be a nice fit as the fifth big. He's exactly the type of big, wide bodied player they need to man the middle some against bigger front lines. He's a good post defender, offensive rebounder and shot blocker and still in his 20's.

The other thing I like about this trade is, they'd basically kill two birds with one stone and would only really need a third point to complete the roster.

The 2nd and 3rd ones I'd have no interest in. I'd consider the 4th and 5th ones (that's how desperate I am to see Jefferson traded, that I'd actually consider those).

As far as Biedrins, I'd have no interest. Yes, in theory he's a second big (he's struggled mightily the last few seasons) and is still young. But I see Splitter as a cheaper, more skilled version of him and two of those types aren't necessary.

objective
05-01-2011, 08:43 PM
How about RJ and Bonner and #29 to Toronto for Kleiza and Calderon?

Wow, I'm really clutching at straws, aren't I?

Anyway, Toronto gets their favorite limited lottery-team role player Bonner back and . . . ugh, I got nothing. Maybe if Hill is thrown in?

Spurs get rid of their two biggest chokers, get a legit if horribly overpaid back-up point guard for one less year than RJ's contract and a marginal SF whose deal lasts as long as Bonner.

And Novak can step into Bonner's only useful role: never playing unless it's a situation that calls for a three.

Josh810
05-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Richard Jefferson is trending on Twitter right now....random.

MaNu4Tres
05-01-2011, 09:26 PM
How about RJ and Bonner and #29 to Toronto for Kleiza and Calderon?

:vomit:

objective
05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
It's not great, but I'd rather have Calderon and Kleiza stinking it up than RJ and Bonner stinking it up worse. It's hard to dump a bucket of crap without getting some on your clothes, and that's where the Spurs are thanks to RJ.

ANOTHER TRADE

RJ for Hedo. Two awful contracts for declining, soft, cowardly players.

Hedo was probably even worse than RJ, which is amazing.

He was a choker when he was here, and he's now a fat, lazy choker. But I'd be tempted to do it. At least his final year isn't fully guaranteed.

Nathan89
05-01-2011, 09:36 PM
However, an alternate trade that I do think could work precisely because of Sarver's cheapness would be this:

McDyess's retiring deal for Pietrus, provided that's workable under the CBA. I don't know if that's doable depending on how Pietrus's player option is on dates compared to McDyess's guarantee date.

Pietrus isn't great or even good, but I'd rather see his mediocre, disappointing play over RJ every game for the rest of time.

I think Pietrus is pretty damn good. If this was possible this would really improve the Spurs team. I doubt PHX would let him go just to save money...maybe they would that would bring their salary down and let them go after some free agent.

objective
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I think Pietrus is pretty damn good. If this was possible this would really improve the Spurs team. I doubt PHX would let him go just to save money...maybe they would that would bring their salary down and let them go after some free agent.

Pietrus will be a 30 year old expiring contract role player who is at a position PHX has too much of. I don't know how much other demand there would be for him around the league; I could be wrong but I imagine only a team that is trying to hold cap room over a year or a fraud team that thinks they're contenders but are revolting at SF (like the Spurs) would be into him.

After PHX buys out Carter, they'll be near at the current cap after their lotto pick and cap holds if Brooks stays at 3 million. Dumping Pietrus for nothing doesn't offer them much cap room, but it's better than paying Pietrus, especially if Hill wants to come back.

HarlemHeat37
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Pietrus is even worse than RJ at this point, tbh..

Nathan89
05-01-2011, 10:22 PM
I've always thought Pietrus was better than Rj

MI21
05-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Just thinking about Buckets in a Spurs uniform gets me all hot and bothered.

The guy would provide the arrogance, the nastiness, the clutch shooting and the perimeter defense the Spurs are missing. SJ is basically everything that Jefferson isn’t. I know it was a popular catch phrase back in 03, but SJ really is the anti-Spur.

Funnily enough, that’s something the Spurs have always needed on the team.

Never happen though.

Roger Freemason Jr.
05-02-2011, 02:10 AM
RJ isn't terrible, RJ is simply terrible in the Spurs system. Other teams aren't going to look at RJ's seasons with the Spurs and consider him a terrible player or a liability. To us Spurs fans, watching RJ & Bonner fail in the system has us frustrated and firm in believing they're terrible and nobody would want them, but I'm telling you that there's plenty of teams who saw Matt Bonner light it up from the 3pt, and want that floor stretching. & There's a team that wouldn't mind having RJ as a backup SF.

20beastie45
05-02-2011, 03:45 AM
I wish!!!!!!!!!!
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/RaRaRaYebo/Screenshot2011-05-02at34356AM.png

20beastie45
05-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Mixed feelings about this 1
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/RaRaRaYebo/Screenshot2011-05-02at34805AM.png

20beastie45
05-02-2011, 04:30 AM
What do you think about this?

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/RaRaRaYebo/Screenshot2011-05-02at42831AM.png

mountainballer
05-02-2011, 04:51 AM

like some other poster I as well like this scenario and I think the Nets might in fact be a realistic trade partner. maybe some other packages are worth a thought either. I try to add some points.
first off, the Nets priority will be to dump salary to get more cap space. different to 2010 they now do have a star player in Williams, who will help to attract premium FA, but they are likely no longer able to offer max money (whatever number this will finally be). so Dice will need to be a part of one scenario.
another important point for the Nets will be their rebounding. Lopez needs a rebounder playing alongside him to compensate for his sub par production. they might try to bring back Chris Humphries, but this would cost them cap space again. Blair might be highly intriguing for them, he can rebound AND he is cheap.
so what about RJ+Dice for Outlaw+Petro+Farmar?
(I just focus on RJ getting traded at any costs). Nets gain some more cap space. (+2.5 million?)

the other trade:
RC+Blair for Outlaw+James
(Nets lose some cap space, but get a cost saving replacement for Humphries in Blair. Spurs get back a young player in James. Nets might trow in their #35 pick)

PDXSpursFan
05-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Only realistic trade because both players (RJ and Outlaw) suck. But RJ was a good player on NJ before so their front office may like this trade. Having said that I'm not sure that this is a good trade for the Spurs. I don't see Outlaw being any better than RJ on Spurs uniform.

hater
05-02-2011, 12:59 PM
any trade that accomplishes RJ leaving SA is a good trade.

hater
05-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Here's my trade:

RJ and Bonner for Antoine Jamison

we have our ppls in Cleveland. DO IT!!!

hater
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
^ Hollingers analysis of my trade:
Spurs: improve projected wins by 1
Cleveland: You have not affected the winning percentage with this trade :lmao :lmao

hater
05-02-2011, 01:12 PM
a small adjustment to my trade and it's probably the best trade in NBA history:
Blair, Bonner, Jefferson + Dyess for Jamison + Varejao

:wow "the brazilian twin towers"

Parker
Manu
Jamison
Varejao
Splitter

Hill
Neal
Anderson
Duncan
Bouroussis
De Colo
Quinn/Novak

SpurOutofTownFan
05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
People who are calling RJ names are mistaken and wrong.

First please stop insulting Spurs players - it doesn't make any sense and it's not right

Second, RJ clearly didn't work with the Spurs but that doesn't mean he can't be a great player somewhere else - I'm sure other teams are waiting for the Spurs to sweeten the deal thinking the guy is worthless and they would be ready to jump all over the trade. Reason is I think RJ still has it but not within the Spurs' system.

The Spurs thought he was going to contribute the way he can by being a "slasher" and prolific scorer and being able with his frame to be a force on D but it just didn't work. RJ used to be the primary scorer on all the teams he played with and the style he was used to was totally different. With the Spurs, even Hill had more plays called for him than for RJ and RJ was at best a 4th scoring opportunity behind the big 3.

I would tell you right now some teams are salivating at the prospect of having him for cheap, and I don't mean what they would have to pay in salary but what they would have to give up in order to get him from the Spurs.

I might be totally wrong with the assessment RJ can be a great player somewhere else but I believe I could be right.

JR3
05-02-2011, 01:16 PM
any trade that accomplishes RJ leaving SA is a good trade.

I agree. I'm not even okay with RJ coming off the bench. I'd rather have a less talented player with balls.

JR3
05-02-2011, 01:24 PM

First please stop insulting Spurs players - it doesn't make any sense and it's not right

Second, RJ clearly didn't work with the Spurs but that doesn't mean he can't be a great player somewhere else - I'm sure other teams are waiting for the Spurs to sweeten the deal thinking the guy is worthless and they would be ready to jump all over the trade. Reason is I think RJ still has it but not within the Spurs' system.

The Spurs thought he was going to contribute the way he can by being a "slasher" and prolific scorer and being able with his frame to be a force on D but it just didn't work. RJ used to be the primary scorer on all the teams he played with and the style he was used to was totally different. With the Spurs, even Hill had more plays called for him than for RJ and RJ was at best a 4th scoring opportunity behind the big 3.

I would tell you right now some teams are salivating at the prospect of having him for cheap, and I don't mean what they would have to pay in salary but what they would have to give up in order to get him from the Spurs.

I might be totally wrong with the assessment RJ can be a great player somewhere else but I believe I could be right.

RJ can be a good player with another team. I agree not many plays were called for RJ but when they were, he played scared and was not agressive. I bet another team would love to have him and if they get him, they will get 15 -(stretchin it) 20 points a night during the regular season. IF the team makes the playoffs , RJ will leave em hanging. Spurs need players that are playoff competitors. RJ just isn't that. He is not in new jersey anymore. I think he lead the spurs in missed dunks this season. That was what he was supposed to be good at. Some may not like what I'm about to say but i think Bogans might have been more productive this season than RJ.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
RJ can be a good player with another team. I agree not many plays were called for RJ but when they were, he played scared and was not agressive. I bet another team would love to have him and if they get him, they will get 15 -(stretchin it) 20 points a night during the regular season. IF the team makes the playoffs , RJ will leave em hanging. Spurs need players that are playoff competitors. RJ just isn't that. He is not in new jersey anymore. I think he lead the spurs in missed dunks this season. That was what he was supposed to be good at. Some may not like what I'm about to say but i think Bogans might have been more productive this season than RJ.

This is good. Also you aren't insulting him.

cheney212
05-02-2011, 01:28 PM
just get him out of here he didnt do shit during the memphis series and i hate seeing bonner play unless hes shooting well which is only the regular season so they both have had enough time to prove they suck...

Master splitter
05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Lol RJ for Allen iverson

outmap
05-02-2011, 07:28 PM

I agree.
RJ is no. 1 in 3 point field goals and 6th in FG% among small forwards and he was averaging 11 a game in the regular season as the fourth/fifth option.
Stat wise, he's top 10-15 player among small forwards. RJ's just a bad mix in the Spurs system.

Doctor J
05-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Whether Dice is retiring or not...

He clearly said that he wouldn't play for another team.

pancakechef
05-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Well lets hope he retires then cause he sucks. You people on here have ZERO basketball sense.

McDyess cant defend a jumper, and isnt very effective in the post. SEE RANDOLPH ABUSING HIM EVERY GAME LAST SERIES. He cant close out, and has limited instincts on defense.

He does body up nice, but hes too slow so It really doesnt matter. Any legit Big can create space between Antonio every time.

NEXT: HE IS A LIABILITY ON OFFENSE. HE IS A BIG WITH NO HANDS OR POST MOVES WTF? He shoots an elbow j at 40% and 6ppg. WOW. We really need him for 20 minutes a game.

He is the inverse of Bonner. Two players WE DONT NEED

Spurtacus
05-02-2011, 08:28 PM
I'd trade RJ just to move up 10 spots in the draft. Easier said then done.

Man In Black
05-02-2011, 09:52 PM
I agree.
RJ is no. 1 in 3 point field goals and 6th in FG% among small forwards and he was averaging 11 a game in the regular season as the fourth/fifth option.
Stat wise, he's top 10-15 player among small forwards. RJ's just a bad mix in the Spurs system.
Technically, there was a time where he displayed the skills needed to fit into the Spurs system, conversely, RJ lacks the balls to play that way. Both him and Bonner, and to a lesser extent, George Hill, are flaccid, shrinking penises.

Hill is young enough to learn from the experience, but RJ and Matt...not so sure. They've had ample time to show results, but the objectives have not been met.

kaji157
05-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Technically, there was a time where he displayed the skills needed to fit into the Spurs system, conversely, RJ lacks the balls to play that way. Both him and Bonner, and to a lesser extent, George Hill, are flaccid, shrinking penises.

Hill is young enough to learn from the experience, but RJ and Matt...not so sure. They've had ample time to show results, but the objectives have not been met.

I agree, i think we need proven PO players.

If we can get Tyshaun Prince i would be fine if we can get a backup C and a Backup PPG for Jefferson.

And i don't even care if he gets back to his level, if he does, good for him, enough tryouts here. Would love to send Bonner with him, but Pop won't allow it.

jjktkk
05-02-2011, 11:09 PM
I've always thought Pietrus was better than Rj

A better defender. I wouldn't mind at all for that swap.

spurspokesman
05-03-2011, 12:00 AM
I like all those options

RJ needs to GTFO
This

spurspokesman
05-03-2011, 12:01 AM
A better defender. I wouldn't mind at all for that swap.

I have always respected pietrus and thought he defended lebron well the year orl took out cleveland.

spurspokesman
05-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Well lets hope he retires then cause he sucks. You people on here have ZERO basketball sense.

McDyess cant defend a jumper, and isnt very effective in the post. SEE RANDOLPH ABUSING HIM EVERY GAME LAST SERIES. He cant close out, and has limited instincts on defense.

He does body up nice, but hes too slow so It really doesnt matter. Any legit Big can create space between Antonio every time.

NEXT: HE IS A LIABILITY ON OFFENSE. HE IS A BIG WITH NO HANDS OR POST MOVES WTF? He shoots an elbow j at 40% and 6ppg. WOW. We really need him for 20 minutes a game.

He is the inverse of Bonner. Two players WE DONT NEED
He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn against memphis.

spurspokesman
05-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Only realistic trade because both players (RJ and Outlaw) suck. But RJ was a good player on NJ before so their front office may like this trade. Having said that I'm not sure that this is a good trade for the Spurs. I don't see Outlaw being any better than RJ on Spurs uniform.

He has more heart and can defend a lick. Oh he rebounds also

Agloco
05-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Im actually surprsied most of these trades seem plausible.

Consider the source.......

Agloco
05-03-2011, 08:38 AM
And I agre with people liking more trades for Otulaw and Childress. These are my favorites too. If Spurs to a trade for Outlaw, I hope they can do it without taking back Petro even if it costs the 29th pick.

Bruno, do you see Timmy opting out of his contract and taking less money to help out the team? I think he's done this before with the promise that the Spurs would try to make moves to put them in position to make another run.

If so, I'd think that any agreement would need to wait until after the new CBA so that his contract could be fit into the new paradigm.

cheguevara
05-03-2011, 08:55 AM
any solution where RJ and Bonner are not gone is unacceptable

Bruno
05-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Bruno, do you see Timmy opting out of his contract and taking less money to help out the team? I think he's done this before with the promise that the Spurs would try to make moves to put them in position to make another run.

If so, I'd think that any agreement would need to wait until after the new CBA so that his contract could be fit into the new paradigm.

Last time that Tim made a move to keep Spurs competitive, it wasn't exactly the same case. He just signed an extension that wasn't a max extension. This year, he will have to turn down first a $21.2M player option to sign for less money per year. It's a biggest personal investment. It would be also logical that Tim isn't thrilled to see that the paycut he took has been used to give a combined $50M to Jefferson and Bonner.

CBA wise, his new contract can be sign before July (it will be then an extension) or after July and a potential lockout. The max length allowed for an extension is 3 years. If the new CBA has the same over 36 rule than, the max length for a new contract will also be 3 years. I agree with you that waiting July and a new CBA to sign a new contract seems to be the smart choice because it will allow Spurs to have a clear picture of the financial situation but it's also somewhat risky for Tim to do so.

If Spurs wants to have an active summer to significantly improve the team, they will need to get some financial flexibility. Duncan restructuring his contract would surely helps a lot. A RJ for Childress trade would also allow Spurs to lower by $3.3M their 2011-2012 payroll. While I think Childress, thanks to his defense, could help a little more Spurs than RJ, the main edge of this trade would the gain of more financial flexibility.

Agloco
05-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Last time that Tim made a move to keep Spurs competitive, it wasn't exactly the same case. He just signed an extension that wasn't a max extension. This year, he will have to turn down first a $21.2M player option to sign for less money per year. It's a biggest personal investment. It would be also logical that Tim isn't thrilled to see that the paycut he took has been used to give a combined $50M to Jefferson and Bonner.

CBA wise, his new contract can be sign before July (it will be then an extension) or after July and a potential lockout. The max length allowed for an extension is 3 years. If the new CBA has the same over 36 rule than, the max length for a new contract will also be 3 years. I agree with you that waiting July and a new CBA to sign a new contract seems to be the smart choice because it will allow Spurs to have a clear picture of the financial situation but it's also somewhat risky for Tim to do so.

If Spurs wants to have an active summer to significantly improve the team, they will need to get some financial flexibility. Duncan restructuring his contract would surely helps a lot. A RJ for Childress trade would also allow Spurs to lower by $3.3M their 2011-2012 payroll. While I think Childress, thanks to his defense, could help a little more Spurs than RJ, the main edge of this trade would the gain of more financial flexibility.

:tu

I had the same thoughts on Timmy. I suppose it hinges on his state of mind. Is he generally positive or negative about the situation? And if he's negative, is it enough for him to walk away from 21 million? He doesn't strike me as overly greedy, but I'm sure the Spurs would want to be a bit more generous with him than with the average bear.

The Duncan situation aside, I just don't see many positives unless Dicky J AND Bonner can be offloaded before the start of next season. It's just going to be the same old song and dance otherwise. Childress seems to be an enticing replacement. I'm looking forward to the development of Anderson and Butler as well.

Zero_Twilight
05-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Parker, RJ, Bonner, Blair, Dice's expiring contract to Toronto for Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon. I don't know how the sallary works out but I remember the Raptors were saying how every player was "available."

objective
05-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Jefferson for Marvin Williams straight up works.

Garbage for Younger Garbage.

I like it.

ALVAREZ6
05-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Who the hell wants the over-priced RJ after showing what type of player he really is these past 2 seasons? If contracts match up, the other team is inevitably giving away the better player.

objective
05-08-2011, 08:38 PM
I guess I'm just hoping the Hawks are stupid enough to believe that RJ can be a 4th option for them (ha!) as Crawford insurance.

Both Williams and RJ have pretty bad contracts. RJ makes over a million more per year.

RJ's last year is a player option, Williams' last year is an ETO. Neither is likely to pass up on that free money.

TJastal
05-09-2011, 04:35 AM
Parker is really the best tradeable asset the spurs have. I know trading him isn't a popular idea around here but maybe the lakers would be willing to part ways with Gasol after that uninspired performance against Dallas.

Gasol for Parker/McDyess trade exception works in the nba trade machine. LA gets a competent point guard that can take over for Fisher and the spurs get some much needed size in the paint. Duncan/Gasol frontline for the next two years could yield a few deep playoff runs before Timmy hangs it up for good.

TJastal
05-09-2011, 05:13 AM
Could also do Gasol/Blake for Parker/Bonner/McDyess exception

Bruno
05-09-2011, 05:45 AM
I guess I'm just hoping the Hawks are stupid enough to believe that RJ can be a 4th option for them (ha!) as Crawford insurance.

Both Williams and RJ have pretty bad contracts. RJ makes over a million more per year.

RJ's last year is a player option, Williams' last year is an ETO. Neither is likely to pass up on that free money.

It's a trade I've initially considered before turning it down. Hawks are in a difficult salary cap situation and I don't think they will be interested into turning Williams $24.9M contract into RJ $30.5M contract.

lcroock
05-09-2011, 06:05 AM
1) Jefferson + Blair for Kaman.
2) Sign Prince
3) Bonner + Anderson for Casspi.

This gives us a much improved defensive, hard nosed frountcourt.

TJastal
05-09-2011, 06:35 AM
It's a trade I've initially considered before turning it down. Hawks are in a difficult salary cap situation and I don't think they will be interested into turning Williams $24.9M contract into RJ $30.5M contract.

Not to mention Williams is younger and 100X more athletic than Jefferson... lol @ anyone thinking the hawks would even consider this trade.

Maddog
05-09-2011, 07:20 AM
How much of Jefferson's final year guaranteed?
for 2013 he has a player option for11+
Is this completely or partially guaranteed?