PDA

View Full Version : Is Manu San Antonios Favorite Spur?

OnlyOneGinobili
06-08-2005, 02:12 PM
I love David and Tim, but would you say Manu is SA's favorite spurs? I feel that Manu is getting alot more publicity than David or Tim ever got, locally and world wide, not saying thats a bad thing.

IamJacksJersey
06-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Well, in truth, Manu's a more exciting player, and that's what gets the non basketball fan really into the game. Duncan's not going to do a behind the back crossover spin move and then hit a reverse layup, but Manu will. That's what makes SportsCenter's top plays, so he gets a lot of recognition.

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Manu is definetly Argentina's Favorite Spur :spin

Gatita
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Manu appeals to nuestros Mexicanos in SA. :tu :)

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM
I love David and Tim, but would you say Manu is SA's favorite spurs? I feel that Manu is getting alot more publicity than David or Tim ever got, locally and world wide, not saying thats a bad thing.

I don't think it's true that Manu gets more local press than Tim or David ever did. Tim still gets a tremendous amount of local press. It's just that the international flavor of the team gets more exposure worldwide. Manu and Tony are definitely international (and teenage girl) favorites. :)

spurschick
06-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Manu and Tony are definitely international (and teenage girl) favorites. :)

Are you saying I don't look a day over 19? Thanks! :lol

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:31 PM
Are you saying I don't look a day over 19? Thanks! :lol

:)

Yeah I thought you were 17?

whottt
Manu is a guard...Guard is the glamour position in the NBA..C/PF isn't. Great Guards are like Lambourghinis...whereas the bigmen are like Semi Trucks...you never hear anyone oohing or ahhing over a semi-truck, no matter how magnicifient it is...but you do hear people ooohing and ahhing over fast cars. No one ever wants to own a big semi...but they love those cars.

It's like that. The shoes of bigmen never sell...not Hakeem, not Shaq, KG, Duncan...it's always the guards that sell the most shoes and merchandise.

I'd also say that due to the style of play he attracts a vocal and energetic type of fan...

I do not think that necessarily means he is more popular or beloved than Duncan or (especially) Robinson. He's just more cheerable.

As for the worldwide thing...that's a different dynamic entirely...a lot of international basketball fans love seeing a guy that built his career in their basketball world hitting it big in the NBA.

Manu is probably my favorite Spur to cheer and watch. I'd probably buy his shoes before Duncan's.. and he definitely has a winning impact on the court...a huge one. But that doesn't mean I'd take him first if I was building a team. I think it's similar for a lot of Spurs fans.

AJ and Steve Kerr used to get incredibly loud cheers...well no one is taking Kerr over Duncan...and there are only 2 Spurs fans I know of that are mentally impaired enough that they would actually take AJ over Duncan or Robinson(they know who they are).

ALVAREZ6
I don't think it's true that Manu gets more local press than Tim or David ever did. Tim still gets a tremendous amount of local press. It's just that the international flavor of the team gets more exposure worldwide. Manu and Tony are definitely international (and teenage girl) favorites. :)
Exactly.

Tim is still known as the best Spurs player, but he might not be the most popular worldwide.

If you ask a player that follows the NBA, they should know who Manu is...

But when you ask someone who only watches a little bit of basketball, they still don't know who Manu is...but they will know Duncan.

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 02:33 PM
Manu is my #1 Spur. Ever since his rookie year.
I do not hesitate to say he's my fav, and most everyone I know IRL agrees.. except my cousin whose fav is Timmy... but she's 40.

hendrix
06-08-2005, 02:39 PM

Yeah... sure... That's what makes Manu hit the news so much. Teenage girls.

Jimcs50
06-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Manu is a guard...Guard is the glamour position in the NBA..C/PF isn't. Great Guards are like Lambourghinis...whereas the bigmen are like Semi Trucks...you never hear anyone oohing or ahhing over a semi-truck, no matter how magnicifient it is...but you do hear people ooohing and ahhing over fast cars. No one ever wants to own a big semi...but they love those cars.

It's like that. The shoes of bigmen never sell...not Hakeem, not Shaq, KG, Duncan...it's always the guards that sell the most shoes and merchandise.

I'd also say that due to the style of play he attracts a vocal and energetic type of fan...

I do not think that necessarily means he is more popular or beloved than Duncan or (especially) Robinson. He's just more cheerable.

As for the worldwide thing...that's a different dynamic entirely...a lot of international basketball fans love seeing a guy that built his career in their basketball world hitting it big in the NBA.

Manu is probably my favorite Spur to cheer and watch. I'd probably buy his shoes before Duncan's.. and he definitely has a winning impact on the court...a huge one. But that doesn't mean I'd take him first if I was building a team. I think it's similar for a lot of Spurs fans.

AJ and Steve Kerr used to get incredibly loud cheers...well no one is taking Kerr over Duncan...and there are only 2 Spurs fans I know of that are mentally impaired enough that they would actually take AJ over Duncan or Robinson(they know who they are).

Not true. Shaq is the highest paid NBA player in extra income, according to Forbes from last years income.

nkdlunch
06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Manu is the reason I became a Spur fan to be honest. But I started watching him from his 1st game as a Spur, when noone expected anything from him. From that day, I also fell inlove w/Spurs type of play, and learned to love Tim's game.

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 02:47 PM
Not true. Shaq is the highest paid NBA player in extra income, according to Forbes from last years income.

Really? I would think it'd be Lebron or even MJ.

EasilyAmused
06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Well, He is one of my favorites.

:lol I feel soooo young right now!

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Manu is the reason I became a Spur fan to be honest. But I started watching him from his 1st game as a Spur, when noone expected anything from him. From that day, I also fell inlove w/Spurs type of play, and learned to love Tim's game.
Same w/ me.

BTW, nice avatar: "Don't feed the trolls." :lol

mavsfan1000
06-08-2005, 02:51 PM
So Manu is a teeny bopper now. I didn't know that certain players can get all the teenage girls like the Beatles. No wonder the audience of the SBC Center has high voices. :lol

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 02:54 PM
:lol I think Parker is more popular with the teenybop generation then Manu is...I mean I started following the Spurs when I was 19--and all because I thought Parker was cute.

...Of course, now that I am all grown up, my love and appreciation for the Spurs in general is a lot deeper and less superficial :)

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 02:58 PM
:lol I think Parker is more popular with the teenybop generation then Manu is...I mean I started following the Spurs when I was 19--and all because I thought Parker was cute.

Don't be jealous, it's really just you and Eva. :lol j/p

hendrix
06-08-2005, 02:59 PM

Of course TP is more appealing to teenage girls. But Manu?

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 03:00 PM

I hear Alvarez's bedroom is covered in Manu and tony posters.....

:lmao :elephant

j/k

1Parker1
Don't be jealous, it's really just you and Eva. :lol j/p

:lol I don't mind, less competiton.

Kori Ellis
Of course TP is more appealing to teenage girls, but Kori can't say that because she looooooooves Tony.

I said Manu and Tony were teenage favorites. They are .. you can tell by the shrieking at the SBC Center in the introductions.

BTW I don't like Tony anymore than I like Manu. Bowen is my favorite Spur.

hendrix
06-08-2005, 03:01 PM
I said Manu and Tony were teenage favorites. They are .. you can tell by the shrieking at the SBC Center in the introductions.

Ok, roger that. I corrected my self.

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 03:02 PM

j/k

:lmao Good one.

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 03:03 PM

Bowen?? Hmmm...ok who's your second fav?

hendrix
06-08-2005, 03:03 PM
:lmao Good one.

He's 15, so he's allowed.

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 03:04 PM

j/k
Maybe if I were a female....who knows...

I don't mind, less competiton.
:lol That's true....didn't think of that...

mookie2001
06-08-2005, 03:04 PM
not mine

our power forward Tim Duncan is mine.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Bowen?? Hmmm...ok who's your second fav?

Probably Tim, but I like to watch all the Spurs (except Barry :lol).

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I only have 1 poster in my room with Manu or Tony in it, and it is a poster of the Argentine National Team holding up their gold medals in Athens!!! Got it from Argentina, it's great...

...and wanna know the best part of the poster?

In the background, you can see Amare, Marion, and the rest of the USA team with big frowns on their faces...it's great!

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Probably Tim, but I like to watch all the Spurs (except Barry :lol).

:lol Great, now you're going to get a 1 page rebuttal from Whott.

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Maybe if I were a female....who knows...

:lol That's true....didn't think of that...

okay: on a serious note , this is how we knoe your 15.
it was a joke and therefore funny because we all know you are male. :bang

:princess

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 03:11 PM
okay: on a serious note , this is how we knoe your 15.
it was a joke and therefore funny because we all know you are male. :bang

:princess
Yeah I know dude, that's why I said I might if i were female, who knows...

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 03:11 PM
...and wanna know the best part of the poster?

In the background, you can see Amare, Marion, and the rest of the USA team with big frowns on their faces...it's great!

:lmao :lmao :lmao

well maybe they would have gotton fartehr than bronze if they had
a. shown up for practice on time
b. STFU about their min.s played
c. thought about hte good of the freakin TEAM

spurschick
06-08-2005, 03:54 PM

Oh, that's just me. Am I too loud? :oops :lol

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
Oh, that's just me. Am I too loud? :oops :lol

So is it a Joygasm at the mere sight of him?

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Never. AJ is, was, and always will be the most beloved!!!!

-This message was brought to you by heavy drinking.

whottt
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM

When was the last time you saw a shoe commercial with Shaq in it?

Did you see one with Hakeem in it after about 1989?

Did you see more of those commercials with Magic or Kareem?

What happened to Drob's promising career as a shoe salesman?

Has Shaq ever had the best selling jersey?

Shaq may indeed be a fine pitchman for Nestle Crunch or Icyhot to the non basketball fan world...because he's got name recognition.

But he's a nonentity when it comes to marketing things to the basketball world. Like every other bigman in history.

And just because he gets paid a lot to sell stuff...that doesn't mean he's the best at selling it..

I think AI is the most marketable basketball player or maybe Vince Carter.

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 04:51 PM
I think AI is the most marketable basketball player or maybe Vince Carter.
I would add Lebron to that list...he's freakin everywhere...

ducks
06-08-2005, 05:01 PM
makes no sence does it alvarez6 that lebron is everywhere with the kid'ss team record the second half of the season does it