PDA

View Full Version : Manu and Tony might not play for their NT...

ElNono
05-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Due to the lockout... Germán Vaccaro, president of the Argentina's basketball confederation said national federations need to obtain insurance for the players (something we knew), and that a player without said insurance cannot practice nor play with the national team. But it looks like that teams are unwilling to proceed with the process due to the looming lockout.

He said players like Scola and Manu are talking with the player's association to see what can be done, and he hopes everything gets worked out in the end.

Article in spanish with the relevant info is here: link (http://www.canchallena.com/1369171-peligra-la-presencia-de-los-nba-en-el-preolimpico)

TE
05-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Best Spurs new of this terrible week.

Libri
05-01-2011, 10:01 PM
The pre-Olympic tournament will run from August 25 to September 8 of 2011. Everything will have to be worked out before the 25th of August.

kuato
05-01-2011, 11:41 PM
It is impossible that he's not playing, this is the last time he will play with the NT in Argentina.

ElNono
05-01-2011, 11:59 PM
It is impossible that he's not playing, this is the last time he will play with the NT in Argentina.

No. He said he wanted to play this qualifier and if they get a spot, he wants to play in the London Olympics...

But it's moot. That's the CABB president saying he can't practice or play without the insurance in place. We'll see how they work it out.

NewJerSpur
05-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Still would rather have basketball activities go on as usual, but this would be the only thing good to come out of a lockout/labor uncertainty. Anything else, would be uncivilized (see Shawn Kemp, smh).

20beastie45
05-02-2011, 01:41 AM
I hope Manu and Tony get to play with their national teams.

phxspurfan
05-02-2011, 01:51 AM
do not care. At this point we need more than a healthy Parker and Manu to contend. I really don't see how we can get another piece but we have to do it, because these two cannot be counted on to help shut down the real superstars of the NBA, or even offset the real superstars' production on a nightly basis.

Alain
05-02-2011, 05:36 AM
Tony will not only play for french NT but also with his club (ASVEL) in France if the lockout occurs.
:stirpot:

Obstructed_View
05-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Funny how those decisions get really tough when the NBA is no longer footing the bill and assuming all the risk. That discussion should be interesting going forward.

Bruno
05-02-2011, 06:25 AM
This whole insurance problem has been raised in France for weeks and the situation isn't exactly what is said in this newspaper.

When there is a lockout, NT must pay, in addition of the classical insurance, an assurance that covers NBA contracts. This insurance is costly and is linked to the size of NBA contracts. To cover up, french players, it will cost $3M. If FNT pays these $3M, players should be able to play even if there is a lockout. For Argentina, this insurance should be cheaper because contracts are small. A wild guess is an estimation of $2M.

The true question is will they be able to pay. For FNT, I'm quite confident they will. I don't know for Argentina.

Fireball
05-02-2011, 06:44 AM
do not care. At this point we need more than a healthy Parker and Manu to contend. I really don't see how we can get another piece but we have to do it, because these two cannot be counted on to help shut down the real superstars of the NBA, or even offset the real superstars' production on a nightly basis.

Think so too ... but then I care because it is more fun to watch these international games when Spurs players are involved ...