PDA

View Full Version : Call me loco or kookoo, but is Manu the next MJ?

TMSKILZ
06-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Before peeps rip me, I know there is & will only be one of a kind MJ, but the more I see Manu play, especially his performance in the Olympics & this season during the reg season & playoffs, he reminds me a lot of MJ.

He reminds me of MJ in his style of play, his competitive nature & drive, wanting the ball in crunch time, creating & delivering, the numerous BIG plays he's come up with on both OFF & DEF & his humbleness about it all.

His circus shots that make you go WOW just like MJ used to, whether you hate him or not. I have a feeling before it's all said & done, that people will be mentioning MG in the same breathe as MJ!

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:33 PM
kookoo

:)

There's no next MJ. Manu isn't even close to that level.

Did you notice at the All-Star game that Manu wasn't even at the same level as some (most?) of the other All-Stars on the court? Manu is flashy and he's damn good, but I don't think he's close to superstar status.

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 02:35 PM
No.

Manu prefers driving, but MJ has a way better jumper. Manu barely takes mid-range shots. Manu only has 2 attacks: driving to the whole, and the 3 pointer...I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it deffinetly works.

MJ could do it all...

nkdlunch
06-08-2005, 02:35 PM
You're insane in the
http://www.bethanne.ws/cartoons/pinkyandthebrain/big_brain.jpeg

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 02:37 PM
but I don't think he's close to superstar status.
What do you consider a superstar?

Name players that are superstars, and players in the category right before "superstar"

jcrod
He shows flashes of being great/superstar. PHX 48pts, Denver series. He just doesn't do conssistently enough. He'll be lucky if he gets another allstar.

Jimcs50
Not MJ, but he is going to be a top 5 draw in the NBA in 2 yrs, as far as jersey sales, and endorsement contracts.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Sure, but it's a long list you'd be adding him to. Kobe, TMac, Grant Hill, Vince Carter, Dwyane Wade, etc. Have I missed anyone?

nkdlunch
06-08-2005, 02:39 PM
kookoo

Did you notice at the All-Star game that Manu wasn't even at the same level as some (most?) of the other All-Stars on the court? Manu is flashy and he's damn good, but I don't think he's close to superstar status.

Please don't tell me you count the Allstars to grade a player's level.

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Sure, but it's a long list you'd be adding him too. Kobe, TMac, Grant Hill, Vince Carter, Dwyane Wade, etc. Have I missed anyone?
Lebron

TMSKILZ
06-08-2005, 02:40 PM
The only other player I've seen that made me think of MJ, was Kobe & the stuff that guy did on the court. How he would take over games & his circus type shots.

MG this season is like watching MJ, you just sit there screaming @ the TV "Give the ball to MG!" & just sit with anticipation trying to figure out what move he's going to pull off next.

E20
:lmao

ALVAREZ6
He'll be lucky if he gets another allstar.
I disagree.

It seems that Manu has only gotten more popular than he was before the all-star game. He's been on a bunch of commercials, his team is back in the finals, he's getting all this media attention, so I think he will be an all-star next year.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Please don't tell me you count the Allstars to grade a player's level.

No, I was giving an example. I count the 5-10 NBA games a week that I watch to grade a player's level.

MiNuS
06-08-2005, 02:42 PM
he might not be MJ but he sure is MG!

and he is one CMF!

combs84
06-08-2005, 02:42 PM
The next off the map superstar name belongs to Wade, Lebron or Ben Gordon. Ginoboli is to out of control.

Ginofan
06-08-2005, 02:43 PM
Hell no. Not even close. But I think he does have MJ's competitve nature.

bigzak25
06-08-2005, 02:44 PM
BMF too.

spur219
06-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Manu did belong in the All Star game and did blend in with those players. He was better than half of those so called superstars.

spurschick
06-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Someday, someone is going to be asking "Who's the Next Manu?". :spin

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
The next off the map superstar name belongs to Wade, Lebron or Ben Gordon. Ginoboli is to out of control.

Maybe, but none of those players have excelled in leading their team to a championship(yet). Manu has a chance to do it this year and the next few as well.

He'd have to average 25+, hit multiple game winning shots, and win at least 5 titles. Plus, it isn't his team, which will hurt him...

vanvannen
Sorry man, but being a HUGE Manu fan I have to say you are INSANE. Seriously dude, get professional help.

Kori, I'm not sure what you mean. If you compare Manu with other guards, I would probably put him behind only Kobe, Wade and Lebron. I would never say Allen, T Mac or Carter. Those are players with no heart that only care about money and looking good. I would keep a warrior like Manu every day of the week.
Sorry to hear you wouldn't.

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 02:47 PM
I bet if you told this to Manu, he would probably say "hell no."

Manu's favorite player as a kid was MJ.

I remember before the all-star game, Manu was on a post game interview, and the reporter asked him about how he feels that he might be an all-star...
Manu responded: "Even if I don't get chosen as an all-star, I'm very proud of myself for even being considered being all-star." ...or something like that.

ObiwanGinobili
He is not the next MJ.
There is only one MJ, just like ther is only 1 Dr.J, Bird, Magic, etc.
they can never be equaled, each is on different platform.

BUT: Manu is sure on his way to being a basketball GOD. Maybe not at ^^that level^^
but prretty near too. He is amazing, and still has time (age wise) to improve nad build his skills thru experiance.

nkdlunch
No, I was giving an example. I count the 5-10 NBA games a week that I watch to grade a player's level.

Cool, 'cause even he said it, he shines brightest when there is the need to win. He was actually pretty pissed off when he played in the Rookie All-stars, and those fools turned the game into a dunk contest.

He'll probably won't give a damn if he ever plays another allstar game.

bigzak25
manu just needed to drive more and shoot less in that game....he would have done even better.

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
and BTW, i'm a homer.

MiNuS
06-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Ginobili gets my "CMF" Award for sure. The Crazy Mada F*cka Award!

He almost single handedly won last years Olympics vs USA. He had 29 points.
If ever we going to see any Spurs on Spurs that was it! He beat Timmy and the
rest of future "MJ's" , Wade,Lebron,etc. and he did it in one of the WORLD'S biggest stages,maybe bigger than the NBA Finals!

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 02:51 PM
kookoo

you are so way off it's not funny. All-Star game Manu did just fine for his first go around, plus add in the injuries and he probably did more than fine.

Manu has absolutely carried this team to the finals and without him the spurs are at home and this board is dead.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Cool, 'cause even he said it, he shines brightest when there is the need to win. He was actually pretty pissed off when he played in the Rookie All-stars, and those fools turned the game into a dunk contest.

I was there at the All-Star game and in the lockerroom afterward. I am not using the All-Star to define Manu, but he struggled there. He turned the ball over 3 times and committed 3 fouls in very limited minutes. He looked very awkward among the stars. He was a borderline All-Star this season.

Manu is awesome. He can take over games and he's great for SportsCenter highlights. But he's not at Duncan, Kobe, etc. superstar level. And guys like Wade, LeBron, etc. will have career's closer to MJ's than Manu will.

Manu might not ever make another All-Star team. There are a lot of good wing players in the NBA and Manu is already 28.

spur219
06-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Manu however is not the next MJ. No one ever will. MJ was at a completely different world.

spur219
06-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I would rather take Manu over Wade but not over Lebron.

vanvannen
06-08-2005, 02:54 PM
Manu might not ever make another All-Star team. There are a lot of good wing players in the NBA and Manu is already 28.

Shame on you Kori! :nope

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Shame on you Kori! :nope

:lol

It's just my opinion. Relax.

ALVAREZ6
Manu will be an all-star next year, and Manu is turning 28 in July, which means he's 27.

samikeyp
there is no "next MJ" and will never be. There is one MJ and will always be one MJ. You have a lot of players who are good and even great right now but none will be MJ. That being said, Manu, IMO, is only going to get better.

hendrix
06-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Did you notice at the All-Star game that Manu wasn't even at the same level as some (most?) of the other All-Stars on the court?

Thats because he's too generous player to be around those show-offs. His most valuable ability is to play the best for the team. He's got not the best jumpshot, we all know that, but he doesnt need to take too many of those to help a team win.
I guess he'll never be recognized as an all-star for you. Oh well...

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Manu is turning 28 in July, which means he's 27.

Sorry, I made a mistake. He's 27 and 11 months.

TMSKILZ
06-08-2005, 02:57 PM
MG is the post-MJ of this GEN, so get used to it!

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Sorry, I made a mistake. He's 27 and 11 months.
You've made another mistake, he's 27 and 10 months.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 02:58 PM
You've made another mistake, he's 27 and 10 months.

:lol You said his birthday was in July -- it's June. Sorry -- I don't care exactly how old he is. With Manu's style of play, he'll probably be out of the league in his early 30's. That was my point, he's not young and improving.

spur219
06-08-2005, 03:00 PM
A player normally starts reaching their peak at 28. So Manu is not even at his peak yet and will be even better next year.

samikeyp
I have to check with Whottt but does math smack go above or below spelling smack? :lol

ALVAREZ6
:lol You said his birthday was in July -- it's June. Sorry -- I don't care exactly how old he is. With Manu's style of play, he'll probably be out of the league in his early 30's. That was my point, he's not young and improving.
I got your point, I just wanted to be an ass.

BTW, his birthday IS in July, but July 28th, meaning he is still 27 and 10 months until June 28th.

Get it right! :lol

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 03:01 PM

you are way off. The only game of the playoffs that the spurs were on the brink of elimination was game 6 against the sonics. 2 of our 3 stars folded, Manu put up 39 now that's a superstar.

Also, comparing someones game in the allstar game is foolish. Same as comparing someones game in the olympics. All that counts are the playoffs, where legends are born and Manu has been a top 5 performer.

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 03:05 PM

It's just my opinion. Relax.

Kori, I believe that in the Spurs Fan Contract is specificaly stipulates you can not have opinions that maybe construed in anyway as "negative" or of "ill feeling".
Sub section 23 part B reads:
"and by so signing I confirm I wish, as a Spurs fan, to only be a homer and live my life blindly pro-spurs (players, management et.all) at risk of even my life"

So I will therefore ignore what you had previously posted.

:elephant

Nikos
06-08-2005, 03:23 PM
What does the All Star game have to do with Manu's ability? It's not his kind of game anyway. He is more of a versatile role player than Superstar scorer/player. Even super scores who have done well in All Star games in the past were no where near the best player in the league (ala Glen Rice).

Isn't it more accurate to say that through watching the 82games that Manu is a borderline all star, as opposed to the actual game?

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I have to check with Whottt but does math smack go above or below spelling smack? :lol

I really think that if Kobe hadn't fallen into the problems that he's fallen into, he's have been the closest thing to the "next MJ:" we'll see. LJ, Wade, Manu etc have their own special thing that they are good at. LJ-dunking, Wade-penetrating, Manu-wild shots. When Kobe was on during that championship stretch, his game reminded me of MJ's. That confidence of taking that clutch shot, the assists, the defense, etc. It's a shame that such a talent has gone to waste. He really had a great oppurtunity.

hendrix
06-08-2005, 03:30 PM
we'll see. LJ, Wade, Manu etc have their own special thing that they are good at. LJ-dunking, Wade-penetrating, Manu-wild shots.

Correction (if I may). Manu does all the other things too. But only when needed.

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 03:30 PM
he's not young and improving.

your take is getting worse and worse by the minute. Manu is not improving?

GrandeDavid
06-08-2005, 03:32 PM
He's a poor man's MJ, which is a helluva compliment.

1Parker1
Correction (if I may). Manu does all the other things too. But only when needed.

He gets to do those things because he has a guy named Tim Duncan in the middle. Who did MJ have in the middle?

Kori Ellis

He's not "young and improving" compared to guys like LeBron and Wade. It's not that difficult to understand what I'm saying.

hendrix
06-08-2005, 03:33 PM

By the way, to the sports writer: Isn't it said "he's not young NOR improving"?

1Parker1
He's a poor man's MJ, which is a helluva compliment.

I'll agree to that. His style/approach to the game is very different from MJ's.

ducks
if the spurs did not press the issue would manu have even made the allstar game this year?

not saying he did not deserve to go.
I think manu has peaked this year

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Isn't it more accurate to say that through watching the 82games that Manu is a borderline all star, as opposed to the actual game?

Yes and that's what I did say. I used the All-Star game as an example (which I knew beforehand would get misconstued).

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 03:34 PM
By the way, to the sports writer: Isn't it said "he's not young NOR improving"?

No, because I didn't mean "NOR." I meant he's not "young and improving."

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 03:35 PM
He's not "young and improving" compared to guys like LeBron and Wade. It's not that difficult to understand what I'm saying.
he's not right out of high school, but he's improving.

nkdlunch
06-08-2005, 03:36 PM

The young part you might be right. But how do you know he won't keep improving next year. He's been improving every year, why should this stop now?

Nikos
Yes and that's what I did say. I used the All-Star game as an example (which I knew beforehand would get misconstued).

Even if Manu did awesome in the game I don't think it would make a difference in my judgement of him as a player. But thats just me.

Kori Ellis
he's not right out of high school, but he's improving.

Here to make it clearer for you ... I'm saying he's not BOTH young AND improving, like guys like LeBron and Wade. In other words, we are not going to see Manu getting better and better for five plus years and get to the point of being with the likes of MJ. After a couple more years, Manu will begin to decline, not just because of his age but because of exhaustion of his type of play.

hendrix
06-08-2005, 03:40 PM
No, because I didn't mean "NOR." I meant he's not "young and improving."

So then he can be "old and improving"? Or "young and getting worse"? Or something like that. Please help, I thought there was no way around your point. Much better then.

spur219
06-08-2005, 03:42 PM
No it's like this.

Manu is not young but is still improving. Players don't hit their peak till about 28. So Manu is barely rising to his prime.

Medvedenko
06-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Too many posts arguing who's better, Manu or Jordan...earlier in the season it was Manu vs Kobe and now he graduates to this level of comparison....man...I'm tired of reading this nonsense. He's good...but Jordan.....1 48 point game isn't going to do it....hell Tony Delk had a 50 point game.

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 03:43 PM
:lol Beware of the Church of Manu, Kori. I've had to experience it myself, and it wasn't pretty.

nkdlunch
06-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Too many posts arguing who's better, Manu or Jordan...earlier in the season it was Manu vs Kobe and now he graduates to this level of comparison....man...I'm tired of reading this nonsense. He's good...but Jordan.....1 48 point game isn't going to do it....hell Tony Delk had a 50 point game.

If you actually read the thread, you'd see that everyone agrees the comparison and this thread is stupid.

timvp
06-08-2005, 03:47 PM
http://www.nooksandniches.com/ProductImages/ourname/troublemug.gif

Princess is feeling the wrath of the Manu Defenders. If you don't say that Manu is the best human ever created, you are bound to get bashed into submission.

God is Good, God is Great
We thank Him for our Manu

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah, chill out people. Manu is good for you? Great, now don't try to be the Manu's witnesses and convert other people. If they don't want to believe it's their choice.

spurschick
06-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Princess is feeling the wrath of the Manu Defenders. If you don't say that Manu is the best human ever created, you are bound to get bashed into submission.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
All of this is just too damned funny! Obviously game one can't start soon enough.

ducks
06-08-2005, 03:53 PM
mj could play every minute of a game
manu can not

MiNuS
06-08-2005, 03:53 PM
some BEER TOSSER started a "Virtual Melee" in some other thread!

melee,melee!

I am outa here!

Nikos
06-08-2005, 03:54 PM
mj could play every minute of a game
manu can not

You mean Jordan can be a dominate presense of every minute of the game, Manu cannot.

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Here to make it clearer for you ... I'm saying he's not BOTH young AND improving, like guys like LeBron and Wade. In other words, we are not going to see Manu getting better and better for five plus years and get to the point of being with the likes of MJ. After a couple more years, Manu will begin to decline, not just because of his age but because of exhaustion of his type of play.

Your argument is that he's not even close to being a superstar, I'm telling you he's a superstar right now because of his performance in the playoffs not some crappy all-star game. He's not michael jordan, but he's a freak in his own right and clutch as hell. I'll make this clearer for you, without Manu the spurs are at home and don't win in '03 either.

timvp
06-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Your argument is that he's not even close to being a superstar, I'm telling you he's a superstar right now because of his performance in the playoffs not some crappy all-star game. He's not michael jordan, but he's a freak in his own right and clutch as hell. I'll make this clearer for you, without Manu the spurs are at home and don't win in '03 either.

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 03:55 PM

:rollin Best reply ever.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 03:57 PM
Your argument is that he's not even close to being a superstar, I'm telling you he's a superstar right now because of his performance in the playoffs not some crappy all-star game.

That's your definition of superstar; I guess it's not mine. A couple seasons of good playoff performances doesn't make a superstar to me. It's a longevity of superb play to me, which I don't think Manu will sustain over years and years to come. To me, there are very very few superstars.

He's not michael jordan, but he's a freak in his own right and clutch as hell. I'll make this clearer for you, without Manu the spurs are at home and don't win in '03 either.

True, I've said that throughout the playoffs.

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I very much thank the basketball gods for Manu.

timvp
06-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Honestly, I've actually converted to the Church of Manu. Manu has improved so much that I think he's a top ten player in the league. His drive to win is unmatched and his performances have been out of this world. His improvement from year to year has been jaw dropping. Hell, his improvement from this regular season to the playoffs has been awesome.

Now if he has a big Finals and continues to play how he's been playing in the playoffs, I will go on record saying he's a top five player in the league.

jcrod
06-08-2005, 04:02 PM
:lol Beware of the Church of Manu, Kori. I've had to experience it myself, and it wasn't pretty.

Church of Manu :lol :lol . You're not kidding, I've seen it and it's not worth arguing sometimes.

He was fresh of winning the Olympics and having the 48pt game at PHX. Trust me guys, if he doesn't pick up his scoring avg, he's not going to make another allstar avg 16-17 pts a game. Not over Kobe or Tmac. You're not going to see three guards and one point guard again. Nash, Bibby, TP, Davis will take the 3rd and 4th guard spot.

He's good, he's a Spur, we're winning. Lets be happy and quit taking the Manu drugs.

1Parker1
Manu will be the next MJ after he wins 5 more championships. Just because people around here don't believe he's not the next MJ, doesn't make Manu any less of a great player and discount what he's done this year.

jcrod
Honestly, I've actually converted to the Church of Manu. Manu has improved so much that I think he's a top ten player in the league. His drive to win is unmatched and his performances have been out of this world. His improvement from year to year has been jaw dropping. Hell, his improvement from this regular season to the playoffs has been awesome.

Now if he has a big Finals and continues to play how he's been playing in the playoffs, I will go on record saying he's a top five player in the league.

Now you're on Manu crack.

blaze89
No more next MJ!

No more next Magic!

No more next ______!

That's the problem with alot of people, still waiting the next ________!

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Now you're on Manu crack.

He drank the Manu koolaid. I tried to stop him, but he was damn thirsty.

1Parker1
06-08-2005, 04:04 PM
He drank the Manu koolaid. I tried to stop him, but he was damn thirsty.

:lol I drank some Parker koolaid this afternoon. It was damn good!

timvp
:drunk

Thank you. May I have another?

2centsworth
That's your definition of superstar; I guess it's not mine. A couple seasons of good playoff performances doesn't make a superstar to me. It's a longevity of superb play to me, which I don't think Manu will sustain over years and years to come. To me, there are very very few superstars.

I dig you a whole bunch Kori, but your definition has changed in this thread. You started by using the all-star game performance, and now you're saying his future doesn't look bright.

True, I've said that throughout the playoffs.

Plus, the guy has acheived at the highest level in international ball. The guy is a superstar, and if he can continue to improve he will be mentioned in the same breath as Kobe and Mcgrady.

ALVAREZ6
06-08-2005, 04:06 PM

Then why you dissin' the church?

nkdlunch
06-08-2005, 04:06 PM
[CENTER]
Manu is the best human ever created,

That's pushing it, I'd say best left handed, argentinian human w/a nose as big as a boot

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 04:07 PM

i don't know if that's sarcasm or not, but if the Spurs win and Manu wins MVP you damn str8 you will call him at least a top 10 player.

timvp
06-08-2005, 04:08 PM
i don't know if that's sarcasm or not, but if the Spurs win and Manu wins MVP you damn str8 you will call him at least a top 10 player.

Straight up, bro.

Manu has gotten better and better to the point that I'm not sure of another guard I'd want going into the fourth quarter of a big game.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 04:08 PM
You started by using the all-star game performance, and now you're saying his future doesn't look bright.

I've said the same thing all along; I've said it in many threads.

I just said "Did you notice in the All-Star game ..." because at the All-Star game many people noticed that he was rattled. It was just an example of him being in the company of many other stars. I didn't say the All-Star was a tell-all on a player's development.

I love Manu and thinks he's incredible on this team. I think his will to win and his effort are superlative. I just don't think he's a superstar in my book. His name isn't getting to get etched along the side of guys like Jordan, Bird, Duncan, etc. But he's definitely a Champion. And definitely a key to this team.

nkdlunch
06-08-2005, 04:10 PM
I've said the same thing all along; I've said it in many threads.

I just said "Did you notice in the All-Star game ..." because at the All-Star game many people noticed that he was rattled. It was just an example of him being in the company of many other stars. I didn't say the All-Star was a tell-all on a player's development.

I love Manu and thinks he's incredible on this team. I think his will to win and his effort are superlative. I just don't think he's a superstar in my book. His name isn't getting to get etched along the side of guys like Jordan, Bird, Duncan, etc. But he's definitely a Champion. And definitely a key to this team.

Ah, I think it's just your definition of superstar that messed me up. See, to me T-Mac, Kobe are superstars. Jordan, Bird are legends.

Nikos
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Manu might have a tough time scoring in this series (relative to previous ones). But I trust him to find a way to make his mark on most games. If his shot is not falling, he should be able to make the hustle plays that will help the team.

Manu has played great in the playoffs thus far, and if he played similiar ball in the finals I would be very suprised and happy.

No Manu is not a Top 10 player in the league, but as a support player he might be one of the better ones to have on a championship team. Sure thats a vague phrase and tons of players on championship teams have been solid role players -- but Manu thus far has been as versatile as they come as a support guy to the best player in the game, Tim Duncan.

Kori Ellis
I'd rather have Manu than T-Mac. T-Mac is weak in the head.

spurschick
I admit... I have had my share of the Manu Koolaid. I have also drank from the cup of Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady. The only comparison I can make from Manu to MJ is that they are/were two exciting players that made the game fun to watch. Guys like Manu, AI and TMac, among a few others, can be so unpredictable and unbelievable - it's what really gets the adrenaline pumping and fuels my love of the game.

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Manu is no freakin MJ, but no one is or will ever be. However, he does have MJ's heart it's just MJs game made Magic and Bird look like stiffs.

ducks
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I would take mj over manu anyday of the week
I also would have taken magic over tp any day of the week

Nikos
06-08-2005, 04:15 PM

Way to make a statement.

whottt
06-08-2005, 04:33 PM
TMSkilz...

On the court they aren't anything alike really...Jordan was a guard who lead the NBA in scoring while shooting over 50%...

By my reckoning, only one other man in NBA history has pulled that off...our own George Gervin(who taught Jordan the secret of winning scoring titles)...but Jordan was also a DPOY player...Gervin wasn't.

Gervin is the guy who comes the closest to what Jordan truly was on the court, a flat out high PCT scoring machine at the guard spot...Jerry West is also right there...

Manu is nothing like those guys...he hasn't even shot 50% yet with Duncan gtting him open...much less being the total focus of the defense and doing it while taking the most shots.

Manu's style of play is a lot closer to Magic Johnson than it is Michael Jordan...I got to see Magic play and Manu would have fit right into the Bird and Magic era of the NBA...he's a throwback to that era.

If you are talking about the impact in popularity and elevating the profile of the NBA worldwide that Jordan had...no. Only one guy could do that and Jordan already did it.

But what Manu could do is raise the international profile of the NBA in a similar way...yes he could have that kind of impact. He could make the NBA more popular in the rest of the world(but so could Yao just by capturing China)

But I do think it's very possible Manu could end up being the most popular player of his era...if that's what you mean by the next MJ...I don't think you are that far off.

No one hates their own like Spursfans...so don't let the naysayers get you down...Manu is busting out...and a lot of great players are absolutely in love with his game. He could very well end up being the most popular player in the World.

On the court he will never be anything close to MJ in terms of style.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Well, that's kind of obvious, I would take Bird over Barry anyday (maybe even the current Bird), Sabonis over Rasho, Olajuwon over Nazr, and so on...

tlongII
06-08-2005, 04:38 PM
I will take Ray Allen over Manu any day of the week.

timvp
06-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Olajuwon over Nazr

No way. You are just mad that cheesesteak boy is gone. Take off your Rose colored glasses.

Sincerely,

Aggie Hoopsfan

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 04:40 PM
:lol I drank some Parker koolaid this afternoon. It was damn good!

omg! dirty images are entering my mind.....

2centsworth
06-08-2005, 04:45 PM
I will take Ray Allen over Manu any day of the week.
good for you charlie murphy.

hendrix
06-08-2005, 05:13 PM
:rollin Best reply ever.

Reply to what?
I only see a mug saying: "Momma's boy"

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-08-2005, 05:39 PM

That's the truth.

If I was to pick five players I'd go into playoff battle with, Manu would be one of those five.

MaNuMaNiAc
06-08-2005, 06:12 PM
TMSkilz...

On the court they aren't anything alike really...Jordan was a guard who lead the NBA in scoring while shooting over 50%...

By my reckoning, only one other man in NBA history has pulled that off...our own George Gervin(who taught Jordan the secret of winning scoring titles)...but Jordan was also a DPOY player...Gervin wasn't.

Gervin is the guy who comes the closest to what Jordan truly was on the court, a flat out high PCT scoring machine at the guard spot...Jerry West is also right there...

Manu is nothing like those guys...he hasn't even shot 50% yet with Duncan gtting him open...much less being the total focus of the defense and doing it while taking the most shots.

Manu's style of play is a lot closer to Magic Johnson than it is Michael Jordan...I got to see Magic play and Manu would have fit right into the Bird and Magic era of the NBA...he's a throwback to that era.

If you are talking about the impact in popularity and elevating the profile of the NBA worldwide that Jordan had...no. Only one guy could do that and Jordan already did it.

But what Manu could do is raise the international profile of the NBA in a similar way...yes he could have that kind of impact. He could make the NBA more popular in the rest of the world(but so could Yao just by capturing China)

But I do think it's very possible Manu could end up being the most popular player of his era...if that's what you mean by the next MJ...I don't think you are that far off.

No one hates their own like Spursfans...so don't let the naysayers get you down...Manu is busting out...and a lot of great players are absolutely in love with his game. He could very well end up being the most popular player in the World.

On the court he will never be anything close to MJ in terms of style.
Absolutely right! Look, I agree Manu is not even close to MJ's level, but I wouldn't say no one ever will, like some of the people in this thread. I wonder how it is that they can fortell the future? Either way, I read a post in this thread that stated Kobe, LeBron, Wade are all superstars, MJ, Magic, Bird are legends. I totally agree with this, I think Manu is already a superstar, but he will never be a legend.

ducks
06-08-2005, 06:16 PM
you can tell there has not been any game for awhile 5 pages of if manu is mj
UNREAL

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I totally agree with this, I think Manu is already a superstar, but he will never be a legend.

It's all in the bling-bling, baby.

If the Spurs win 4 of the next 6 titles and Manu is a big part of it he could very well be a legend.

People always remember the champions.

jochhejaam
06-08-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't see any similarities in their game. IMO Manu has more of an Iverson type game. I'm not suggesting that he's as good as Iverson though.

He is a very good player.

jochhejaam
06-08-2005, 06:48 PM

I respectfully disagree with my fellow Piston Fan as far as adding Gordon to the mix, I see him as 1 dimensional.

Top tier players right now are Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.

There are too many excellent players to list that are right below their level.

whottt
06-08-2005, 06:50 PM
I think Manu is already a superstar, but he will never be a legend.

I wouldn't write Manu off in the legend category either...he has a habit of making memorable plays...those are the stuff legends are made of. Especially if they do it in the NBA finals when everyone is watching.

"Havlicek stole the ball"

"Ginobili stole the ball"....I could definitely see it happening.

People might as well realize this now...

Manu is going to be in the Basketball HOF when he retires.....he has a strong case for it right now...the basketball HOF is determined by a total basketball career...not just what they did in the NBA. Manu is as good as in as we speak...

He is definitely going to challenge Sabonis for the second greatest international player in NBA history...if you consider Hakeem an American, since he is naturalized and learned the game here...Manu is going to challenge Sabonis for the greatest international player in NBA history. Edit: Dirk deserves to be mentioned here as well...he'll probably be the greatest when he retires...

About the only thing we can say for certainty that Manu will never be considered...is the greatest player or 2 guard in NBA history....anything else...it's a mistake to bet against Manu. He is that good.

spur219
06-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Only superstars in the league are:

Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Shaq
Jason Kidd

Borderline is:
Kobe
TMac

But that is it. Kobe and TMac are not superstars but All-Stars at this point but they are very close to becoming superstars.

5ToolMan
06-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Maybe you can try to explain it one more time, just in case someone does not understand what you are spinning in circles about. :hat

Perhaps you might just say, "at Manu's age, he has less time to improve before he is over the hill, compared to the younger Lebron and Wade." Fair enough?

As for Manu, fans who only know the game from Sports Center or reading rags written mostly by idiots who don't know the game they pretend to cover, have little knowledge about the enourmous hoops skills he has, and that he has displayed over many years before he came to the NBA.

On the time think, you are almost correct. Because of Manu's age, and because he was blessed to play along side Duncan, and because of the nature of the vegatable, most of the garden variety NBA fans will never understand the total package Manu has, and has already demonstrated on the International stage, he most likely will not be view as a star as big as Labron and Kobe, and certainly not as big as MJ. Not because his game cannot go beyond that of Labron, T'Mac or Kobe, as it is not as far away as ESPN junkies are force fed, and therefore "think". But because of time, Manu will be challanged to ever catch up with the hype machines these developing stars were given before they ever entered an NBA floor.

Manu is a special player, like one of few who has ever existed on any stage ... period. However, since the hoops purists are far out numbered by the Sports Center Groopies, cheering for the dunks, wallowing in ignorance on the science and skills that develop great teams and true stars in this game.

Everyone knows about Manu's play in the Olympics. But that was his not first rodeo in out shinning NBA Stars. Before he went down with a sprained ankle, Manu had led his team to a huge victory over the Allstar NBA laden USA Team in the 2002 World Games. He was also proving himself to be far and away the best player on the best team in the entire 2002 World Games.

manu is jordan
06-08-2005, 09:48 PM
yes he is

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 09:56 PM
5ToolMan,

I'm not spinning anything. I think Manu is great, but this thread was about him being the next Jordan. He isn't.

And I don't rely on just his SportsCenter highlights, I have probably seen a lot more of Manu's play than you have. I just think that if you are talking about a perennial NBA superstar, by my definition, Manu won't be one. He has talent and he has a tremendous heart and determination to win, but he's not a legend. You think he was great before he arrived in the NBA. In reality he was skilled, but not honed enough to perform against NBA competition night in and night out.

If Manu can somehow be able to play 35+ minutes per night in the NBA over the next five to seven seasons -- and still perform at a high level, then that would be great. But at the energy level he plays, we'll have to see if he can even do that through one season. He hasn't yet. Hopefully having this summer off of basketball will do him some good.

milkyway21
06-08-2005, 10:13 PM
kookoo

Did you notice at the All-Star game that Manu wasn't even at the same level as some (most?) of the other All-Stars on the court? Manu is flashy and he's damn good, but I don't think he's close to superstar status.i agree.

I see no resemblance of MJ style of play.:rolleyes
The GRACE. The Originality.
NO not next MJ.

Manu is the first Manu.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
06-08-2005, 10:15 PM
You people must bow down and pay tribute to Emperor Emanuel I, or else...

Athenea
06-08-2005, 10:44 PM

We all know you 2 don't like Manu as much of others around here.
That's why the topics of Spurs Round Table during these POs has been about the League, the other conf finals, the weather in Tanzania, the meaning of life and only 1 (one) meaningless comment about Manu's performance so far.
It's ok. But c'mon...u were all over devin brown promoting him as the next big thing and manu is not improving?? Is not worthy of compliments?
Pffffffff whatever flows your boat...

On the subject...there was only 1 MJ :elephant

Chris
06-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Only superstars in the league are:

Tim Duncan
Kevin Garnett
Shaq
Jason Kidd

Borderline is:
Kobe
TMac

But that is it. Kobe and TMac are not superstars but All-Stars at this point but they are very close to becoming superstars.

A.I is a superstar.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 11:08 PM
That's why the topics of Spurs Round Table during these POs has been about the League, the other conf finals, the weather in Tanzania, the meaning of life and only 1 (one) meaningless comment about Manu's performance so far.

:rolleyes

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Manu can be the next Jesus Christ for all I care, hell, the next William Hung as long as he helps the Spurs win a third title.

5ToolMan
06-08-2005, 11:27 PM
5ToolMan,

I'm not spinning anything. I think Manu is great, but this thread was about him being the next Jordan. He isn't.

And I don't rely on just his SportsCenter highlights, I have probably seen a lot more of Manu's play than you have. I just think that if you are talking about a perennial NBA superstar, by my definition, Manu won't be one. He has talent and he has a tremendous heart and determination to win, but he's not a legend. You think he was great before he arrived in the NBA. In reality he was skilled, but not honed enough to perform against NBA competition night in and night out.

If Manu can somehow be able to play 35+ minutes per night in the NBA over the next five to seven seasons -- and still perform at a high level, then that would be great. But at the energy level he plays, we'll have to see if he can even do that through one season. He hasn't yet. Hopefully having this summer off of basketball will do him some good.
Manu was dominating the European League and International Basketball well before he entered the NBA. His play in the 2002 World Championships and the 2004 Olympics, when he consistantly outperformed the biggest and brightest NBA Stars demonstrates that Manu was capible of delivering at an NBA Superstar level, long before Pop unleashed him.

Pop is a great coach, but in all due respect he missed the boat on Manu until he saw what he did when allowed to perform in a style of play more geared for his game, as he had in the Olympics.

Manu's "sudden" growth has just as much to do with Pop's education to what Manu can deliver and consequent adjustments made in the way the Spurs play. The new rules changes also made Pop realize he had to open up the offense using more of Manu's and Tony's great skills. In the past, as a sidekick to Tim, Manu played the game asked, while Pop muttered 4-Down, time and again. Pop's choice to ride his MVP had nothing to do with Manu's ability to play at an NBA level. It just effected the perception of those not watching closely.

I laugh at those who "think" Manu can only play 25 - 30 minutes a game, just because that is the way Pop has used him over most of the last three years. Pop chose to measure Manu's minutes because Manu had played the last FOUR SUMMERS in International play. The Spurs were winning in a fashion they felt comfortable, so no need to rock the boat.

Now that Pop has unleashed the beast, Manu will be a fixture as a league Super Star for the next 6 - 10 years. After reading this board, it is clear many Spurs fans still don't yet know what they have before them.

Kori Ellis
06-08-2005, 11:31 PM
I laugh at those who "think" Manu can only play 25 - 30 minutes a game, just because that is the way Pop has used him over most of the last three years. Pop chose to measure Manu's minutes because Manu had played the last FOUR SUMMERS in International play. The Spurs were winning in a fashion they felt comfortable, so no need to rock the boat.

Now that Pop has unleashed the beast, Manu will be a fixture as a league Super Star for the next 6 - 10 years. After reading this board, it is clear many Spurs fans still don't yet know what they have before them.

Manu can play 30 minutes per game. That's about what he always does. It has yet to be seen if he can play 35+ minutes per game over an NBA season. He physically couldn't do it this year. We'll see if that changes next year after he has this upcoming summer "off".

10 years from now Manu will be almost 38. You think he'll still be in the league?

smeagol
06-08-2005, 11:34 PM
you can tell there has not been any game for awhile 5 pages of if manu is mj
UNREAL
Only the guy who started this thread believes Manu is the next MJ. Nobody has agreed with him.

Did you not notice that when you wrote the above idiotic quote?

I will say it slowly, to help you comprehend what people are saying in the 5 pages of this thread.

M-A-N-U I-S N-O-T M-J.

beirmeistr
06-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Someday, someone is going to be asking "Who's the Next Manu?". :spin
Wow, Spurschick! That is so prophetic.

TMSKILZ
06-10-2005, 12:16 AM
revisted.

Now someone tell me Manu's 2nd 1/2 performance wasn't Jordan like!!!!!

It's funny, if someone like Kobe, TMac, VC or Lebron take over a game, everyone is quick to label them the next MJ or say it was an MJ like perfomance/display, but when I started this thread & posed the question if manu was the next MJ everyone basically shot that notion down...why?

Guy has taken over games since the Olympics & through this playoff run as well.

Manu = MG!

jcrod
06-10-2005, 12:52 AM
revisted.

Now someone tell me Manu's 2nd 1/2 performance wasn't Jordan like!!!!!

It's funny, if someone like Kobe, TMac, VC or Lebron take over a game, everyone is quick to label them the next MJ or say it was an MJ like perfomance/display, but when I started this thread & posed the question if manu was the next MJ everyone basically shot that notion down...why?

Guy has taken over games since the Olympics & through this playoff run as well.

Manu = MG!

Dude get over it, NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has great spurts, but he's not nearly conssisent enough. Manu is turning 28 next month and still only avg 16pts a game during the regular season.

2centsworth
06-10-2005, 01:02 AM
He's not MJ because no one is. Like I said MJ made Magic and Bird look like stiffs.

However, Manu is a superstar and if you can't see that you're blind.

MiNuS
06-10-2005, 01:06 AM
manu is MEGAMANUMANIAC! He is a human roller coaster! He is HUMAN ENERGY.

If there is a human example of Ying/Yang it's Duncan & Ginobili.