PDA

View Full Version : Rampage move to CHL???

blaze89
06-08-2005, 02:44 PM
I read the article this morning and was wondering if there was any thoughts or opinions here...give it a read.

CHL interest clouds Rampage future in S.A. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/hockey/rampage/stories/MYSA060805.1C.HKMspurs.rampage.2f1111b87.html)
Web Posted: 06/08/2005

Tom Orsborn
Express-News Staff Writer

San Antonio could have a hockey team in a different — albeit familiar — league next season.

The Spurs, still reeling from watching the Rampage suffer through a disastrous season, are considering placing a team in the Central Hockey League, a member of the league's board of directors said Tuesday.

According to Oklahoma City Blazers general manager Brad Lund, the Spurs received an extension from the CHL after failing to meet a May 31 deadline for applying to join the league.

"They requested more time to complete their due-diligence process, which we as a board granted," Lund said. "You don't just jump leagues overnight. This is a big business."

The Spurs and the NHL's Florida Panthers share ownership of the Rampage, which has been a member of the American Hockey League since 2002.

Despite a roster loaded with NHL veterans and talented draft picks, the Rampage slogged their way to a 27-45-3 record last season. And they also lost at the gate, drawing 182,259 at the SBC Center after averaging nearly 200,000 their first two seasons.

Rick Carden, director of business operations for the Rampage, declined to comment on the team's future other than to say the franchise has two years remaining on its agreement with the Panthers.

"Nothing has changed with that," Carden said.

But the Panthers reportedly want their primary minor league affiliate to play in Orlando next season, a move contingent on the Panthers finding another NHL team to purchase their 50 percent stake in the Rampage.

Panthers spokesman Randy Sieminski declined to comment about the effort.

The CHL, meanwhile, has taken steps to ensure that a team either owned or co-owned by the Spurs can begin play in the league this season. Sources said that's why the league has not announced divisional alignments for the 2005-2006 campaign, news it had planned to release last week at league meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz.

And the league schedule isn't scheduled for release until late July.

"San Antonio is a member of the AHL, and we respect that," CHL spokesman Steve Cherwonak said. "If and when a point in time arrives when they are not, we would be highly interested in making a return to San Antonio."

The Alamo City is no stranger to the CHL. The Iguanas played three seasons from 1994-97 and four seasons from 1998-2002. Although CHL talent is inferior to the AHL's, many fans say the CHL is a better fit for San Antonio because it has teams in several Texas cities and nearby states.

"Minor league hockey is all about player retention and rivalries," Lund said. "The Blazers have had numerous carrots thrown at us to go into the AHL, but our success lies in the fact that we don't have a revolving door when it comes to players or leagues. We are all about playing Tulsa, Wichita, Fort Worth, San Antonio and Austin."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

ObiwanGinobili
06-08-2005, 03:35 PM
I think it would help the Rampage.
I went to 1 game the 1st season and 3 games the 2nd , but none this past season.
It was a completly new team every 30 secounds cause it is a revolving door to the NHL or to europe.

I personally LIKE hockey, having grown up in Connecticut being a HUGE HArtford Whalers fan (sniff, they no longer exist).. so I'd liek ot see a minor league hockey team prosper here.

CHL would be a good move.

AlamoSpursFan
06-08-2005, 04:34 PM
If they don't change the name back to the Iguanas, I ain't interested.

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/sports/images/hockeypuck/sanantonio1.JPG