PDA

View Full Version : Stop rebuilding threads.. it won't happen yet

PDXSpursFan
05-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Why people keep posting re-building plans? It makes no no sense. Spurs are not rebuilding now - it just not happening until Duncan retires. And Pop will probably retire together with him (at least from coaching). I don't know if this article was already posted here but what was probably loss is the end where it says:

"Popovich said his roster won't undergo drastic changes..."

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/04/30/spurs-popovich.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

SpurSpurSpurs
05-02-2011, 02:42 PM
I agree. What we need is a big and an SF whos priority is defense. I can take whoever there is as long as his price is equivalent to his talent. RJ is good on his own plays but doesn't really fit our team.

I better hope Pop and RC will realize this. Tim, Manu, TP, Hill, Neal and maybe Splitter is enough for offense. We also know Blair can score and rebound. He's the hustle player we have but not enough during the PO's grind. And Bonner? 3rd big max. He is a role player and will be good for our team. If he plays a lot next year, don't expect to win a title.

boutons_deux
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
not only rebuilding, but even the trade threads NEVER happen.

hater
05-02-2011, 02:47 PM
till the goddam wheels fall off. :pctoss

spursince#99
05-02-2011, 02:51 PM
It should happen...

PDXSpursFan
05-02-2011, 02:55 PM
The only realistic change I expect to happen is that Splitter will move into the starting lineup.

Chomag
05-02-2011, 02:58 PM
So some of you are content with trotting out basicaly the same team that has been bounced from the playoffs the past 4 years with the last 2 being early exits?

Last season was a sweep in the second round, and this season they went down in the first. They seem to be getting worse each year, and with another year older I cant say I'm liking this trend. Maybe it is time for another direction?

Duncan2177
05-02-2011, 03:03 PM
So some of you are content with trotting out basicaly the same team that has been bounced from the playoffs the past 4 years with the last 2 being early exits?

Last season was a sweep in the second round, and this season they went down in the first. They seem to be getting worse each year, and with another year older I cant say I'm liking this trend. Maybe it is time for another direction?

:tu It's getting really old Pop :pop::pctoss

phxspurfan
05-02-2011, 03:08 PM
I agree with your sentiments, but what else are we supposed to do?

Watch Mavs games? Look at royal wedding pictures?

Maddog
05-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Should happen
Won't happen

First is a wish, the second a fact.
The Spurs will be at are above the luxury tax next year (if no huge changes in the CBA)
The contracts they have are not desired by others-either too much, too long long or not talented enough (or some combination of these)

The only hope is if TD opts out and signs for longer at a markedly reduced rate.....

SpurSpurSpurs
05-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Maybe it is time for another direction?

Please enlighten me. So you want a new roster for our team. Would that mean no more Duncan? That person who gave us 4 rings? Will we trade him or force the retirement? There are a lot of HOFers who've gone through what Duncan has been going to. Heck even Jordan was hilarious when playing for a baseball team and the Wizards.

I'd give it a shot. Build whatever they can around Duncan. Till the wheels fall off.

DMC
05-02-2011, 03:30 PM
http://janeheller.mlblogs.com/Wheels_Fell_off.jpg

spurspokesman
05-02-2011, 03:33 PM
The only realistic change I expect to happen is that Splitter will move into the starting lineup.

I personally don't care as the spurs don't have the means to get anyone with rj and bonners contracts and even if that weren't the case they try to build players to fit there need rather than go after obvious fits

Bruno
05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
It's known that Pop always says the truth... Remember the Malik Rose trade.

rjv
05-02-2011, 03:58 PM
agreed. i think it will be at least 2 years. manu and tim's contracts will be expired and RJ would have only one year left on his. splitter could be getting into his own at that time and perhaps even richards if he ever pans out for us as more than a prospect.

but 2 years minimum.

Maddog
05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
agreed. i think it will be at least 2 years. manu and tim's contracts will be expired and RJ would have only one year left on his. splitter could be getting into his own at that time and perhaps even richards if he ever pans out for us as more than a prospect.

but 2 years minimum.

I agree
Next two years could be painful

mencken
05-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Regardless of the first round exit, this roster is still quite good. Among the best in the league, in my opinion. However, there are some noticeable holes in the roster that Memphis was able to exploit (the biggest hole being big men).

All the Spurs need is a defensive SF that can shoot the corner 3. Shane Battier immediately comes to mind but, I doubt Memphis is going to let him go after the year they're having (even though he is kinda redundant with Tony Allen on the roster).

Also missing is a good PF/C. Tim Duncan is the greatest PF of all time and among the greatest players of all time but, he's too old to play at the level required. It's time for Duncan to slip into Robinson's role in '03. Splitter might be able to fill this hole.

Correct those two things and I think the Spurs would be set for another run.

Cane
05-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Spurs should just keep on trucking with Duncan until he retires. Playing Splitter more will help address some of the size and defense issues and hopefully the Spurs will be be able to develop or acquire a SF that fits the Spurs mold. They could also more size, a 260+ lber to match up with the giants of the league like the Gasols.

Imo Spurs have done a decent job of rebuilding/retooling while still being a winning team as well. And unless there's a Duncan or David Robinson franchise player in the draft then might as well keep rebuilding/retooling this way imo.

LongtimeSpursFan
05-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Regardless of the first round exit, this roster is still quite good. Among the best in the league, in my opinion. However, there are some noticeable holes in the roster that Memphis was able to exploit (the biggest hole being big men).

All the Spurs need is a defensive SF that can shoot the corner 3. Shane Battier immediately comes to mind but, I doubt Memphis is going to let him go after the year they're having (even though he is kinda redundant with Tony Allen on the roster).

Also missing is a good PF/C. Tim Duncan is the greatest PF of all time and among the greatest players of all time but, he's too old to play at the level required. It's time for Duncan to slip into Robinson's role in '03. Splitter might be able to fill this hole.

Correct those two things and I think the Spurs would be set for another run.

I agree with most parts. First, I think Splitter will have a much greater imprint on this team with a full year under his belt. Hopefully he can work with Spurs over summer (if there no lockout) get some work in preseason and have an injury free season. He can probably be a 13/8 guy if he can average about 30 mins a game Would like to see Dice back as a back up center and finally Bonner/Blair getting some minutes at the four/five position depending on team playing.
We can definitely use a back up SF if RJ continues to go through stretches where he is unproductive. Dont know about a 3point shooting corner guy as everyone here seems to want but a capable backup that can put the ball on the floor, shoot the ball and provide some energy/defense.
Finally, I would really like to see a solid back up point guard brought in. Its been years since we had this and I think with our glut at SG (Hill, Neal, Anderson, Green) one of them may have to be shipped out for this to happen.
With these minor adjustments I can see the Spurs still having a championship contender at least until Duncan retires.

05-02-2011, 08:48 PM
think about this: in an attempt to keep the championship window "open," the spurs gave bad contracts to jefferson and bonner. do you really want more of those?

temujin
05-03-2011, 03:19 AM
Popovich and Buford will be fantastic in the off season, at selling another winning season and another quick first round exit in the playoffs.
-A Centerpiece will be shipped so that he starts on a contender team.
-RJ will visit more places in the US to work really hard, get back to basics and get even more over himself.
-Bonner will join a jazz dance club to become less stiff, at 31.
-Splitter, Manu and Parker will spend the entire summer playing with their NT, providing great experience, which they obviously lack.
-Neal will be better by definition, because he will be in his second year.
-Having mastered the 15 footer, Blair will improve his 3 points shot so that he could be used as a 3.
-The whole organization will be excited about the picks of Defransiscus Smith and Demurgen Jones.

Josepatches_
05-03-2011, 05:08 AM

This

Josepatches_
05-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Heck even Jordan was hilarious when playing for the Wizards.

Yes.He was so hilarious in Washington that he was the best player of the team.

Lol hilarious.I'd like to have that Michael instead RJ,Neal or Hill

Texas_Ranger
05-03-2011, 05:31 AM
Did really someone think we'll trade RJ and Bonner. Our lineup nex year will be the same as this year, only Dice will not return. Once again watching RJ play 30+ minutes and Matt 20+ minutes it's like eating shit. It just sucks.

spursbird
05-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Let's start some FIRE POP threads

NewcastleKEG
05-03-2011, 03:23 PM
*SPURS PROBLEM*

You are not a free agent destination. So what good is all that cap space once the Big3 retire?

Spurs only option is the draft
- Will they be bad enough to get a Top draft pick? Is Spur fan willing to sit through 2 more years of decline & 1st Round flame out so that you can MAYBE get a franchise player in 4 years? So your talking 5+ years before your even a contender again IF you win the lottery and IF that player is the real deal

- Hit it big with unknown foreign players

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-04-2011, 04:32 AM
:tu It's getting really old Pop :pop::pctoss

+100

thats why i say its best to release pop not because hes not a god coach but if were going to try and make it with the same team as last year i wouldnt mid seeing us tank this season because were definitely not going anywhere with bonner playing starter minutes. but if they light a fire under pops ass this team can be super dangerous having tim/ manu as back up

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-04-2011, 04:48 AM
I agree with your sentiments, but what else are we supposed to do?

Watch Mavs games? Look at royal wedding pictures?

beat me to it

why do "spurs talk" people have to complain about every thread that contains some sort of hope/positive outlook its like this place has become a damn forum full of negative attitudes.

and its been a real shitty disappointing season for all of us spurs fans so let the threads begin

PDXSpursFan
05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Talk about re-tooling, developing Splitter and/or acquiring a free agent that the Spurs can afford and I call it "hope/positive outlook". Talk about blowing up the team, trade Dick & Bonner for Dwight Howard and I call it bs.