PDA

View Full Version : Which playoff moment was the worst for you, personally?

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Which playoff moment was the most devastating, personally?

Edit: I'm trying to post a poll option but can't.

Edit 2: Wow, it really won't let me post a poll.

1. Fisher's 0.4 in 2004.
2. Manu's foul on Dirk in 2006.
3. Upset loss to Memphis.

ginobilized
05-02-2011, 05:20 PM
2.Manu's foul on Dirk in 2006.
Definitely the difference in a possible 3peat for the Spurs

DJ Mbenga
05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
3 peat?

baseline bum
05-02-2011, 05:23 PM
When the Spurs dropped game 3 to the Knicks, and thus couldn't complete the third straight sweep. That Allan Houston three at the shot-clock buzzer was devastating, and was the turning point in the death of the sweep.

Sense
05-02-2011, 05:26 PM
3 peat?

simple stuff

Chomag
05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
When Spurs FO announced the re-signing of Bonner and RJ. I know that wasn't a playoff moment per say, but it was exposed as a failure in it.

DesignatedT
05-02-2011, 05:31 PM

spurs10
05-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Easy, before the playoffs started in game 82 of the 2011 regular season Manu's arm got badly injured. Thought to myself, that's a horrible way to end a great year.

Budkin
05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
.04 by far

Bambililos
05-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Game 7 in 2006. I remember I couldn't go to sleep after that, I just went ahead on my day like a zombie.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2011, 05:50 PM
The Sacramento series morphing into the Dallas series in 2006. I mentioned at the time that watching the Spurs play with no centers was like watching a dog wander out onto the freeway. I knew something horrible was about to happen, but I hoped it wouldn't so I couldn't stop watching. What a waste of Timmy's legacy. Every time some wonk on an NBA show says Duncan's not great because he couldn't repeat I get the urge to vomit on Pop's car. Smallball probably put ten years of stress on me in a few weeks.

Dex
05-02-2011, 05:51 PM
2006 had the bigger implications, but .4 was harder to swallow. I felt like I had been hit by a freight train after that game.

Obstructed_View
05-02-2011, 05:52 PM
When Spurs FO announced the re-signing of Bonner and RJ. I know that wasn't a playoff moment per say, but it was exposed as a failure in it.

I had more trouble when I realized that Pop wasn't going to start Splitter at center this year. I wish I could remember the quote from him that sealed it.

SenorSpur
05-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Game 7, 2006 WCSF. The worst, most bone-headed, ill-advised play I can ever remember.

That game burns in my soul, and when I think about it long enough, it still hurts today. It hurts because of the implications, both immediate and long-term. Consider the following:

- Spurs up by 3, Manu doesn't foul, Dirk scores 2, Spurs ahead by 1 and run out the clock
- With that win, Spurs overcome a 3-1 deficit, first time in their history.
- Spurs go on to face the Suns in WCF
- Mavs go home with tails firmly betwixt legs - and still no NBA Finals appearance
- Spurs go onto beat the Suns and face the Miami Heat in the NBA Finals
- Spurs beat the Heat and win back-to-back titles; first time in their history
- Spurs beat Cavs next year in NBA Finals, to secure their first 3-peat.

Why Manu? Why?

Spurs and Mavs fan
05-02-2011, 06:29 PM

simple stuff

Technically, 0.4 thwarted a possible three-peat, too.

2003, 2004, 2005.

spurs10
05-02-2011, 06:38 PM
We had our chances in '04 and '06. If those two plays were the only causes for our losses, then Manu and Neil's "new life" shots would have sealed the win this year. My problem in '06 wasn't Manu's foul, but the no-calls subsequently on Manu and Tim. I've heard people say Fisher got the shot off in time, but I think it's impossible.

anonoftheinternets
05-02-2011, 06:40 PM

2003, 2004, 2005.

2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 5 pete :lol

also adding 2008 (manu injured) 2009/2010 (other teams did not get memo to let bonner shoot threes), 2011 (zbo who?)

DBMethos
05-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Game 7, 2006 WCSF. The worst, most bone-headed, ill-advised play I can ever remember.

That game burns in my soul, and when I think about it long enough, it still hurts today. It hurts because of the implications, both immediate and long-term. Consider the following:

- Spurs up by 3, Manu doesn't foul, Dirk scores 2, Spurs ahead by 1 and run out the clock
- Mavs go home with tails firmly betwixt legs - and still no NBA Finals appearance

Why Manu? Why?

That sums up nicely why the Manu foul was the most important in terms of ramifications. But as far as the singlemost devastating moment, 0.4 will never be topped for me. From pure elation on Duncan's miracle shot to complete dejection less than a minute later. Sure the Lakers lost to the Pistons after that, and we might have too. But I've never been so bummed about a single moment of watching the Spurs than that one there.

dunkman
05-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Manu's foul at the end of regular time of Game 7 against Dallas in 06, was the worse. I think that the Spurs would have won the championship that season.

Even winning game 5 against the Lakers in 04, the Lakers were the better team and would have won game 6, as they did, and game 7. The 0.4 shortened the series but didn't define the outcome. The Spurs had limited chances.

Doctor J
05-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Spurs had a slim chance to win it all in 2004.

But 2006? Hell, yeah!

Suns were still no match for Spurs. Heat would have been manhandled by Spurs.

Three-peat chance was blown away.

But again, without Ginobili, Spurs wouldn't have won in 05 and 07.

100%duncan
05-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Why Manu? Why?

IIRC, we were down by 20 or more in game 7, would've been a great comeback win

Juggity
05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
The 2006 series was actually one of the first series I watched in its entirety and I had a headache that lasted for a day after game 7

Budkin
05-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Man just reading this thread is making me ill. 04 and 06 were two of the most horrible moments ever.

Russo21
05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
2006 had the bigger implications, but .4 was harder to swallow. I felt like I had been hit by a freight train after that game.

True True

Especially after i had just gone 100% crazy jumping around celebrating after Timmy's shot to give us the lead, man i thought Timmy won that game for us. Then 0.4 seconds later for that shot to happen. That was sickening:ihit

Russo21
05-02-2011, 09:01 PM
2004 and 2006 are horrific memories for a spurs fan :( they both are a number 10 on the shit scale

MI21
05-02-2011, 09:19 PM
2004 was akin to someone stabbing me in the heart.

Duncan21MVP
05-02-2011, 09:35 PM
0.4 by far. Manu's foul in 2006 was the the end of regulation, and there were 5 minutes of OT left to correct the misdeed.

When Fish's shot was allowed to count (even though the clock didn't start for an eternity after the in-bounds), there was no chance that we were going to LA and win a do-or-die game.

If we were affected in such stunning fashion, just think of how the players on the team were.

elemento
05-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Manu's foul because i trully believe we would win the title that year.

What hurts about Fisher's shot is the fact that nobody remembers (except Spur fans of course) the shot that Timmy made over Shaq before. That shot was fucking unbelievable.

elemento
05-02-2011, 09:54 PM

What hurts about Fisher's shot is the fact that nobody remembers (except Spur fans of course) the shot that Timmy made over Shaq before. That shot was fucking unbelievable.

kaji157
05-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Game 6, Bonner is fouled and he falls down, stays on the floor a lot of time and seems injuried, then he misses both free throws and i am certain he is injuried.
By the time his second FT is missed Memphis takes the ball up and Scores, and that was it... No timeout called, Bonner went on to play 10 more minutes...

It was the sign i needed to realize that nothing was going our way.

Another bad moment was during the first quarter when Memphis scored 3 buckets that bounced of the rim, then the backboard and then went in, most notable that Randolph shoot from the side.

Yorae
05-02-2011, 11:40 PM
DJ...lol..

peskypesky
05-02-2011, 11:41 PM

:toast

ALVAREZ6
05-03-2011, 01:56 AM

2003, 2004, 2005.

But that's assuming they go on to beat the 2004 Pistons...a task the SuperLakers failed to do. The Spurs got 'em in 05, but they were better that year than in 04.

ALVAREZ6
05-03-2011, 01:57 AM

They do now, now that the NBA has aired the commercial about a thousand times since the playoffs began.

crc21209
05-03-2011, 01:59 AM

Why Manu? Why?

Wow, I think I just shed a tear reading all that. Fuck....:depressed

crc21209
05-03-2011, 02:01 AM
Either way it sucks because BOTH .4 and the 06' Manu foul killed 2 possible 3-peats for the Spurs. If .4 doesnt happen, the Spurs could have had 03', 04', and 05'. If Manu doesnt foul Dirk, the Spurs would've had 05', 06', 07'.....

GSH
05-03-2011, 02:27 AM
The foul on Dirk. That's a championship the Spurs would have won, and it would have given them the three-peat. The .4 shot was tough, but I'm less certain about the outcome, even if we won that game.

In a way, this year, when we got the ball with 7.1 seconds left, failed to call a time out, and failed to even get up a shot. To me that felt like the end of the smart, tough-minded Spurs that I've watched for over a decade. Those were the anti-Spurs out on the floor. Those things happened all season long, but I kept hoping they would clean it up in the playoffs. Instead, they made bad shot selections, and really stupid passes, at critical times. Too often, the Griz looked like the veterans, and that bothered me a lot more than just losing the series.

Splits
05-03-2011, 03:23 AM
The Manu foul.

Mainly because I had just moved into my future (current) wife's mother's house in Switzerland and it was 4am and I couldn't help but scream at the absurdity as I listened to the game on the radio and almost got my mother-in-law evicted by her downstairs neighbor complaining (the Swiss have pretty strict policies about night time noise). And it is an embarrassment I struggle to explain to this day.

rascal
05-05-2011, 08:39 AM
None posting here will remember but 1979 .

Sean Cagney
05-05-2011, 01:58 PM
2006 for me first, that one hurt more than .4 for some reason because the Spurs were just that good in 06 IMO! They won 63 games and had HC.

If I go back I would add 95 to this list, Hakeem dashed my dreams as a kid when I finally thought the Spurs were going to win it all! I had such high hopes that year, first playoffs I watched almost every game as a teen :(
The foul on Dirk. That's a championship the Spurs would have won, and it would have given them the three-peat. The .4 shot was tough, but I'm less certain about the outcome, even if we won that game.

In a way, this year, when we got the ball with 7.1 seconds left, failed to call a time out, and failed to even get up a shot. To me that felt like the end of the smart, tough-minded Spurs that I've watched for over a decade. Those were the anti-Spurs out on the floor. Those things happened all season long, but I kept hoping they would clean it up in the playoffs. Instead, they made bad shot selections, and really stupid passes, at critical times. Too often, the Griz looked like the veterans, and that bothered me a lot more than just losing the series.

I knew they would not just go away when the playoffs came, those mistakes were who they were this year and deep in my mind I knew they would not just fix immediately or even before the playoffs begin (And they did not) :(. These were teh ANTI Spurs as you said, the things I hated about pretenders teams in the past we played we had become this year :(

I hated the makeup of this Spurs team this year, the jump shooting running crap and little D made me sick at times.