PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mitchell article for real Spurs fans - Life of Mitchell: Obscured greatness

Strange Botwin
05-03-2011, 10:49 AM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/05/03/buck-harvey-life-of-mitchell-obscured-greatness/

Buck Harvey: Life of Mitchell: Obscured greatness

Most wait to say these things, but there’s no reason to.

Mike Mitchell deserves to hear them now. He deserves to hear what was lost in transition from franchise to franchise, and in translation from America to Italy.

He deserves to hear he was one of the best basketball players San Antonio has seen.

Because he was, and because he hasn’t heard that enough.

Mitchell is 55 years old now. He has some good days, but mostly bad ones. His wife, Diana, says he rarely leaves his bed in San Antonio, comforted by hospice care and family.

His 6-foot-7 body has betrayed him, when it had always been a reliable ally. No current Spur has the combination of power and touch that Mitchell had.

He had a booming laugh and a jump shot to match, and both were there in his first years in Cleveland. He was an All-Star then, and his impact on that franchise was never clearer than in 2005, about a quarter century after he left.

“I was watching a Cavaliers game on the TV in San Antonio,” Mitchell said a few years ago. “And they asked a trivia question about the team’s season scoring record that LeBron James was about to break. The answer was me.”

Little wonder Stan Albeck argued for the 1981 midseason trade that brought Mitchell to San Antonio. Mitchell showed what was possible shortly after arriving, with 45 points in a triple-overtime win.

Even then, his greatness was obscured. George Gervin had 50.

The next season, he was on the cover of the media guide with Gervin, who is in the Hall of Fame, and Artis Gilmore, who will be this fall. That spring, when the Spurs lost a playoff series to the Lakers in six games, Mitchell was the one who led the Spurs in scoring in four of them.

Two years later, he was the Spurs’ scoring leader, breaking Gervin’s string. By then, the Spurs were heading downward, though, as were Mitchell and Gervin.

Both would eventually beat their substance issues, and both became models of recovery. Mitchell would get so far past this that, even after beginning a career in Italy, he came back as few ever have. The Spurs signed him for the playoffs in David Robinson’s rookie season.

That resulted in an NBA oddity. Mitchell never played a minute in the 1989-90 regular season, yet appeared in as many playoff games (four) as DeJuan Blair did this spring.

Mitchell was 34 years old at the time, yet just beginning. Mitchell would head back to Europe, where the one-game-a-week schedule saved his knees. Along the way, he became comfortable speaking Italian, and the same relentless friendliness he showed in San Antonio worked there, too.

“Mike is and always will be loved over here,” Flavio Tranquillo, an Italian television analyst, said Monday. “He embraced our culture, food, contradictions and all.”

Mitchell never embraced the European theatrics, however. According to Diana, his Italian teams always wanted him to shed his workmanlike attitude and put on more of a show.

“He tried,” she said, laughing, “but that wasn’t him.”

Mitchell was good enough the way he was. He had to play center at the end of his career because of limited mobility. “But he could still dominate a game,” Tranquillo said, “with his charisma and his uncanny ability to score.”

Mitchell kept returning, year after year. His last season in Italy was, coincidentally, the first for a skinny kid named Manu Ginobili.

Still, this part of his career took place an ocean away, and he was as hidden then as he was behind Gervin to South Texas. Mitchell’s career ranks better than at least two Spurs who have had their jersey number retired, but how many in San Antonio know that?

In all, Mitchell played professional basketball for 22 years. And when he finally retired, then in his mid-40s, it wasn’t because he had to.

“I think I could play a lot more, maybe two years or even 20,” Mitchell said later. “Sometimes in life, you need to make a change and invest more in your family.”

He came back to San Antonio and did just that. He’s worked with at-risk kids in conjunction with Bexar County and the San Antonio Independent School District, while his wife is currently a director at Alpha Home.

Mitchell occasionally played charity golf tournaments, and he sometimes made appearances at various Spurs functions. But he lived as he played, quietly going about his business.

Then came November of 2009, when he went to see a doctor because of neck and shoulder pain. The diagnosis was staggering — he has an unusual form of lung cancer, one that takes place outside the lining of the lungs.

Treatments followed, as did moments of hope. But the cancer returned last September. Now, at this stage, he needs assistance to stand.

When the pain medication doesn’t overwhelm him, he can be awake and alert. He was last week, when he and his family stayed up to watch the Spurs.

So, during these times of clarity, he deserves to hear a few things, about how he played, and how his basketball career is remembered.

There’s no reason to wait for that.

SenorSpur
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Shortly after his arrival to the Spurs, Mitch became known as the Laker-killer, as they simply had no answer for him. That turnaround, baseline jumper of his was automatic "money". He was a feared and very gifted offensive player.

I wish him wellness, better health and a speedy recovery.

Jimcs50
05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Great memories.

Cancer sucks. :depressed

bigfan
05-03-2011, 01:01 PM
What a gut punch; I had no idea Mike was seriously ill. A good article and I just want to add that Im sure most of the folks here are too young to remember Mitch but he was truly a great Spur. Id put him on the list of best Spurs ever right behind Duncan, Robinson, Gervin, Manu and Parker, he was that good. (I think he was better than Elliott and made more of a difference than Artis, Silas, Avery or Moore.) I am so sorry to hear he is ill and am hopeful the organization does what it can for the guy. Get better Mike, we havent forgotten you!

baseline bum
05-03-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh man, I had no idea about Mitchell. I am a huge fan of his; he, Alvin, and Artis were the stars of the team back when I first started following them. I even have one of his jerseys that was used in a game. He's a really great guy and that jumper of his was a thing of beauty back in the 80s. What I would give to have him playing the three on this current squad. That doesn't really matter though; it doesn't sound very good, but I hope he at least knows how much the rest of the bums and I love the guy. Good luck and all the best, Mitch.

baseline bum
05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Mike Mitchell was one the brightest spots of what was I consider the greatest era to be a Spurs fan. Don't get wrong; the continued level of greatness the team has achieved since David Robinson came has been incredible, but there was nothing like following a team where the players and fans had the kind of relationship you saw with those Spurs of the 80s. I wish I had some good stories about Mitch to post, but I was pretty young at the time and can't remember any right off-hand.

MoSpur
05-03-2011, 02:28 PM
I read this article in the morning and got sad. Dude was awesome and I think one of the most underrated Spurs. He had game. I had no idea though that he had cancer. I hope he gets better. I will definitely say a prayer for him and his family.

George Gervin's Afro
05-03-2011, 02:44 PM

He missed an elbow jumper for the lead with no time (or a few seconds) left in game 6 of the WCF against Magic Johnson's lakers...

It still stings to this day..:depressed

Spurs Brazil
05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/buckharvey/2011/05/if-youd-like-to-say-something-to-mitchell-yourself/

If you’d like to say something to Mitchell yourself …
Posted on 05/03/2011 by Buck Harvey

… he can be found on Facebook. His daughter monitors the site.

If you’d like to hear more about how underrated he was:

He was drafted in 1978 with the 15th selection. The only player in that draft to finish with a higher career scoring average was Larry Bird.

In Spurs’ history, only two players have had more games with 40 points or more (George Gervin and David Robinson). Mitchell had more than the combined totals of Artis Gilmore, Sean Elliott, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan.

Despite playing only 6 1/2 seasons in San Antonio, Mitchell is still fifth all time in Spurs scoring.

MoSpur
05-03-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks for sharing.

FromWayDowntown
05-03-2011, 03:29 PM
I read that this morning. It's a sad story, to be sure. Mitch was a gigantic part of making that second iteration of Gervin's teams as successful as they were. Because those teams didn't achieve the ultimate success of an NBA title and because their run was relatively short-lived (and long ago) I think Spurs fans often forget about guys like Mike Mitchell. He had the unfortunate fate to be not as good as George Gervin and not as sympathetic a figure as Johnny Moore ultimately became.

I don't know that the Spurs will retire his jersey -- nor do I necessarily think that they should. But in his prime (which was more than just an isolated season), Mitchell was a far superior scorer to Sean Elliott (and, perhaps, a better player), whose jersey retirement was largely seen as a no-brainer among Spurs fans. I can see why there would be some sentiment to forever retire #34 now, while Mike Mitchell can enjoy the honor.

temujin
05-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Mike Mitchell has been one of the most revered US basketball players that has ever played in Italy.
At 40, he couldn't jump, yet he led all scorers, and that means, among others, Sasha Danilovic.
Simply unstoppable, pure technique and knowledge of how the game should be played. A textbook of offensive moves.
He commanded huge respect from all players and fans, for his crystal clear class and low key attitude.
Mitchell' years in this country will not be forgotten.

Mike Mitchell, one of us.

Capt Bringdown
05-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the link. Mitchell, a master of the mid-range, is one of my favorite all-time Spurs. I lost my father to lung cancer, it hurts to hear of his situation.

Russ
05-03-2011, 09:33 PM
I remember going to Game 3 of the '83 WCF -- Spurs-Lakers in LA.

The Spurs were down 3-1 but won at the Forum to take it back to SA.

That was probably the best pre-Robinson Spurs team. Gervin, Artis Gilmore and Mitchell, a great guard, center, forward combo.:flag:

Unfortunately, the Showtime Lakers were practically an All-Star team at that time.

The Spurs put up a nice fight but succumbed at home in Game 6 when Mitchell's mid-range jumper rimmed out at the buzzer. No Game 7 in LA. One of the few big shots he ever missed (boy, could we use him now).

As I recall, Mitchell got into music and/or recording after he retired in SA. Had a recording studio for a time, I believe.

A man of many talents and few words.

Hang in there, Mike!

rogcl1
05-04-2011, 01:16 AM
I remember going to Game 3 of the '83 WCF -- Spurs-Lakers in LA.

The Spurs were down 3-1 but won at the Forum to take it back to SA.

That was probably the best pre-Robinson Spurs team. Gervin, Artis Gilmore and Mitchell, a great guard, center, forward combo.:flag:

Unfortunately, the Showtime Lakers were practically an All-Star team at that time.

The Spurs put up a nice fight but succumbed at home in Game 6 when Mitchell's mid-range jumper rimmed out at the buzzer. No Game 7 in LA. One of the few big shots he ever missed (boy, could we use him now).

As I recall, Mitchell got into music and/or recording after he retired in SA. Had a recording studio for a time, I believe.

A man of many talents and few words.

Hang in there, Mike!

Mitchell for some reason never seemed to receive the credit he deserved. Its great to see the oldtimers who appreciate his talents and give him his due. He was a special player. I believe the 78-79 Spurs team that lost the 3-1 lead in the conference finals would also be a candidate for the best pre-Robinson team.Silas, Gervin,Olberding, Kenon, and Paultz were a good and fun group to watch.
As for the music, I believe you may have him mixed up with Terry Cummings.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-04-2011, 03:55 AM
what substance were he and gervin addicted to?? i had no idea they were recovered ....i think i had heard about about gervin but not mitchell. does anyone know

Russ
05-04-2011, 07:58 AM
As for the music, I believe you may have him mixed up with Terry Cummings.

Yep. :)

Strange Botwin
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
what substance were he and gervin addicted to?? i had no idea they were recovered ....i think i had heard about about gervin but not mitchell. does anyone know

Let's see. It was the late 70's. They were young and rich. I don't know what it possibly could've been.

Gervin44Silas13
05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Mike's Turn around Baseline jumper.... was automatic and priceless!

Gervin44Silas13
05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Let's see. It was the late 70's. They were young and rich. I don't know what it possibly could've been.

I think they caught Gervin a Brack Park sniffing spray paint I think...Mitch sadly was addicted to blow

rogcl1
05-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I think they caught Gervin a Brack Park sniffing spray paint I think...Mitch sadly was addicted to blow

Where did you get that? Spray paint, never heard that. Gervin's addiction is well documented.

Giuseppe
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM
So, during these times of clarity, he deserves to hear a few things, about how he played, and how his basketball career is remembered.

I'm going there to see my mother. She said she'd meet me when I come.

I'm going there to meet my father. I'm going there no more to roam.

TE
05-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Damn, cancer sucks.

Hope he does well.

wildbill2u
05-04-2011, 05:32 PM
When I think of Mike, I don't always think first of what a great basketball talent he was. I think of what a great guy he was, quiet, but always had a smile on his face and a great attitude toward the fans.

I had no idea he is one of the many Spurs who have chosen to make their life here after retirement. That's pretty telling about his love for SA since he only played here for six years out of a very long career.

I hope someone in the Spurs org. will see that something is done for Mike before its too late. A Mike Mitchell night would be great. A jersey in the rafters would be deserved.

hsxvvd
05-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Is he the same Mike Mitchell who played here in oz for the Gold Coast Rollers in the early 90s, only to end his career when he put his fist through his locker cutting tendons in his wrist.

He and Andre Le Fleur (now coaching at Uconn) were great to watch.