PDA

View Full Version : Conversation with Popovich just now

GrandeDavid
05-03-2011, 12:45 PM
I thought I'd share this with you all...

My folks live next to Gregg Popovich and my step father just had a nice conversation with him. As Pop was out watering a garden in his front yard, the gist of their conversation was probably on the city's watering restrictions and how its a shame we didn't get any rainfall the past couple of days with the cool front, not to mention my step father's alma mater. (My step father is Big Blue UK and Pop likes following basketball in the state of Indiana, so they talk college hoops occasionally).

Before heading back inside, my step father did congratulate Pop on a good season and Pop thanked him and said "well, it didn't finish like we'd planned, though." And my step father commented something about maybe in the offseason a front court player can be found etc. Pop said something like "yeah, that'd be good, but the real problem is our guys just didn't play well. We've got a good team but guys didn't play up to their capabilities, unfortunately." They talked on a couple of other points as well...

I know this isn't exactly breakthrough insight, but it was a personal conversation for what its worth, and while I'd never expect Pop to throw his team under a bus, it is interesting that he's happy with the team makeup, but not with the effort. In other words, Pop didn't say "well, they played their butts off but the ball didn't go through the rim." He basically said that the effort stunk. I think that most of us here know that there were a couple of Spurs players who did not put forth a very good effort, for whatever reasons.

SenorSpur
05-03-2011, 12:54 PM
:bang

I know he'd like to believe that. Yet, did it ever occur to him that perhaps the reason his players didn't play well was because they were matched up against better, younger opposing cast of players?

Let's give Memphis credit, they were directly responsible for causing a lot of the problems the Spurs had, and exposing their various flaws.

Meanwhile, Father Time can be blamed for robbing Duncan of being the player that we've all come to know and appreciate.

Texas_Ranger
05-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Your family lives near Pop??!!
Dude why didn't you put some ''Free Tiago'' signs on his garden during the season.

cantthinkofanything
05-03-2011, 01:02 PM

I know he'd like to believe that. Yet, did it ever occur to him that perhaps the reason his players didn't play well was because they were matched up against better, younger opposing cast of players?

Let's give Memphis credit, they were directly responsible for causing a lot of the problems the Spurs had, and exposing their various flaws.

Meanwhile, Father Time can be blamed for robbing Duncan of being the player that we've all come to know and appreciate.

I think the problem is that the Spurs did play like crap outside of the matchup problems. I'm thinking specifically about all the missed open shots and all the unforced turnovers. That being said, I can't believe that any NBA coach could overlook the glaring disadvantage the Spurs front court had.

It's incredibly sad that Duncan's last few years are getting wasted like this.

Libri
05-03-2011, 01:02 PM
In other words, we shouldn't expect any significant upgrades to the team.

Mr Fundamental
05-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Bring Pop here to discuss about offseason :)

hater
05-03-2011, 01:07 PM
yeah, why not? let's give Bonner + Dick a 3rd attempt at producing in the offseason

:pctoss

The_Worlds_finest
05-03-2011, 01:19 PM
I can picture pop watering flowers to the point of the entire area flooded with water while cussing himself for being duped by rj everyday until the end of the playoffs...

Rummpd
05-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Hell I would cut my lawn in a subtle Free Tiago pattern if I lived next to Popovich or plant a colored flower garden with that pattern just to piss him off (unless he had given me some fine wine along the way).

cantthinkofanything
05-03-2011, 01:21 PM
I can picture pop watering flowers to the point of the entire area flooded with water while cussing himself for being duped by rj everyday until the end of the playoffs...

I bet he's even madder about being off by a decimal place on Bonner's contract.

Warlord23
05-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Translation: "I know RJ and Bonner just got reamed up their tailpipes without lube, but I can't admit that in public because I was the one who gave them long-term contracts. So I'll just pretend that they had a bad few games and we'll give it a go next season with the same gameplan."

boutons_deux
05-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Pop: "I was watering my yard, but the water just didn't fall right. The water's OK"

Warlord23
05-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Look at the bright side, Spurs fans - if Durant, Dirk, both Gasols, Rose, LeBron and Pierce get injured during the playoffs next year, Pop's master plan is all set to bring home a 5th ring.

Bill_Brasky
05-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I think the problem is that the Spurs did play like crap outside of the matchup problems. I'm thinking specifically about all the missed open shots and all the unforced turnovers. That being said, I can't believe that any NBA coach could overlook the glaring disadvantage the Spurs front court had.

It's incredibly sad that Duncan's last few years are getting wasted like this.

I'm not gonna say we didn't have a front court disadvantage against the Grizz, but after watching them beat up on the Thunder, we did a pretty OK job of limiting those two guys for what we have. We should have gotten game one, game 3 was incredibly close, and game 6 just slipped away from us when Z-Bo went off at the end.

The Thunder have Perkins and Ibaka and still got their assholes smashed. We had Duncan(older but still solid defender), Dice(Ancient but gave a fantastic effort), Bonner(shitty but played his butt off on defense for the most part), and Tiago(inexperienced in the playoffs, got thrown out there randomly and still did a solid job).

lefty
05-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Before heading back inside, my step father did congratulate Pop on a good season and Pop thanked him and said "well, it didn't finish like we'd planned, though." And my step father commented something about maybe in the offseason a front court player can be found etc. Pop said something like "yeah, that'd be good, but the real problem is our guys just didn't play well. We've got a good team but guys didn't play up to their capabilities, unfortunately." They talked on a couple of other points as well...

I know this isn't exactly breakthrough insight, but it was a personal conversation for what its worth, and while I'd never expect Pop to throw his team under a bus, it is interesting that he's happy with the team makeup, but not with the effort. In other words, Pop didn't say "well, they played their butts off but the ball didn't go through the rim." He basically said that the effort stunk. I think that most of us here know that there were a couple of Spurs players who did not put forth a very good effort, for whatever reasons.

Sean Cagney
05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
yeah, why not? let's give Bonner + Dick a 3rd attempt at producing in the offseason

BOOK IT! I would bet on it. Some idiots will say well Bonner is shooting 50% early in the year and it might be different this year :rollin:rollin RJ will start out good as well and fade later on. These things are like clockwork.

DPG21920
05-03-2011, 02:24 PM
He's right. Spurs played terribly. Not any where close to their capabilities, even if those capabilities weren't conducive to a title.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2011, 02:34 PM
I completely agree with Pop. The watering restrictions are draconian.

TJastal
05-03-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm not gonna say we didn't have a front court disadvantage against the Grizz, but after watching them beat up on the Thunder, we did a pretty OK job of limiting those two guys for what we have. We should have gotten game one, game 3 was incredibly close, and game 6 just slipped away from us when Z-Bo went off at the end.

The Thunder have Perkins and Ibaka and still got their assholes smashed. We had Duncan(older but still solid defender), Dice(Ancient but gave a fantastic effort), Bonner(shitty but played his butt off on defense for the most part), and Tiago(inexperienced in the playoffs, got thrown out there randomly and still did a solid job).

The thunder actually dominated the paint for the most part, it was the outside shooting of Gasol & Randolph that was the difference. Once those shots start clanking, the thunder will take control of the series.

porscha
05-03-2011, 02:49 PM
the team did not play well...ITS UR JOB TO WAKE THEM UP!!!!!
if tim does not wanna play..sit his ass down! or slap till he's awake:bang

Buddy Holly
05-03-2011, 03:10 PM
The thunder actually dominated the paint for the most part, it was the outside shooting of Gasol & Randolph that was the difference. Once those shots start clanking, the thunder will take control of the series.

They're both really good shooters. If they start clanking it won't be to the level you think.

cantthinkofanything
05-03-2011, 03:20 PM
The reality is that the Spurs are probably not going back to the Finals with this core group anymore. I can't think of any team in recent history that won championships with a core group, then missed the Finals for several years in a row, then reached the Finals again with the orignal and aged core group.

What has been one of our strengths will also turn out to be a weakness. Having a "big three" means that unless they all quit at once, the Spurs will probably be too good to make the lottery but not good enough to really challenge for a title.

WeNeedLength
05-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Can't read this thread because lefty's fucked it all to hell with that ridiculous sig....

spursfan09
05-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Just turn your sigs off in the control panel.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
It's not a sig, it's a reply.

WeNeedLength
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Just turn your sigs off in the control panel.

Takes the fun out of having a sig, don't ya think?

I'll just ignore him until he gets rid of it.

Obstructed_View
05-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Great idea. Thank you. :toast

jaffies
05-03-2011, 04:05 PM
popdammit, lefty!

spursfan09
05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
It's not a sig, it's a reply.

Hmm thought it was sig. I guess I have it checked to where I see no pictures then my bad.

spursfan09
05-03-2011, 04:16 PM

True!

But I log in from work so I think I have it to where all pictures are turned off.

rwb
05-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Lefty you are now ignored and now I am not annoyed.

I would find it hard to be Pop's next door neighbor, as keeping one's mouth shut in the interest of good relations would be a killer after this past season. Once--just once, though--I would love to hear Pop actually admit to taking some responsibility for his own actions/inactions instead of only blaming his team or praising the other one.

tmtcsc
05-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Richard Jefferson and Dejuan Blair couldn't hang with Memphis. Neither could a banged up Timmy. Ah, hell...they all sucked.

100%duncan
05-03-2011, 11:57 PM
make pop an ST account and let's talk it over

Sisk
05-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks for fucking up page 1 lefty.

Das Texan
05-04-2011, 12:33 AM
lefty is a fucking piece of shit.

ElNono
05-04-2011, 01:38 AM
:pop: "They made some shots, I get to water my plants, everybody wins"

englishspursfan
05-04-2011, 01:56 AM
thats wierd ..my exes mum used to live opposite him..are we talking about the same house as she sold it a few month ago..if we are then they would havre to shout as them lots up there are like bin ladin compounds.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-04-2011, 03:20 AM
i dont want to say a particualr name but do you know of the doctor that lives right by you guys possibly on the other side of pop ???? my moms friend is his neighbor too not sure if its next door to pop but thought so..

anyway im not suprised by his statements thats why i think hes just grown soft as hes aged , its not uncommon things that used to mean so much dont mean shit anymore to the man in his 60's either peter holt needs to have a talk with this man or some of the players need to light a fire under his ass

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-04-2011, 03:32 AM
its so sad we were so close to seeing bonner get his legs cut off in that play but of course his muscles dont tear like regular humans since his tendons and muslces are so rigid due to his unathletic genes.

on top of that the douche bag acts like hes some sort of starter and waves to pop "keep me in im ok " only to miss his freethrow, shit is straight out of a comedy. our team is a joke with matt playing starter minutes. do you think a website will get anyones attention (news?) i dont know but im desperate for our voice to be heard.

GrandeDavid
05-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Pop is a super nice man, much, much different than he comes off in interviews, that's for sure! He's actually very friendly. But anyway, wouldn't it be something if Tim would opt out, restructure and we could land Nene?

Summers
05-04-2011, 09:27 AM
I completely agree with Pop. The watering restrictions are draconian.

:lol

Pop is a super nice man, much, much different than he comes off in interviews, that's for sure! He's actually very friendly. But anyway, wouldn't it be something if Tim would opt out, restructure and we could land Nene?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tim retire this summer, regardless of a lockout. Makes me wish I'd made it to a playoff game.

Russ
05-04-2011, 09:34 AM

But wouldn't Nene ask Splitter about his time with the Spurs?

Fabbs
05-04-2011, 09:55 AM
So why was one of his top effort guys, Blair, benched after one game? In which they were *blown out* 101-98 and actually led 98-96 and choked away thanks to Parkers lazy assed leaving Allen wide open for the three!!!!!

After 63 games of starting and arguably upping the energy level of the Spurs, most notably his effect on Timmy Dunks energy level, yet benched in some headgamey bullshit in favor of BonBon and Soft Dick. Ditto Splitter on the energy and effort front.....

To be honest, Bonner energizes the other team when he comes in.
'Popped himself is the energy killbuzz.

dbestpro
05-04-2011, 09:58 AM
This is the type of view from Pop that bothers me and makes me feel things are going to get worse before they get better.

The idea that the team failed because the did not play hard enough can also be viewed as they did not over achieve. I for one find it hard for Blair and Bonner to ever be able to match up with other bigs and that the disadvantage was too great to over come.

In the end small ball cannot win a championship in the NBA and at some point Pop will either realize this or the Spurs will never be a title contender again during Pop's reign.

4>0rings
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Remember when people tried to rationalize Bonners resigning saying it's because he'll be the 4th-5th big off the bench, no more than 15 mins.

:lmao

Cessation
05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
lol ginger 5th big

Obstructed_View
05-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Remember when people tried to rationalize Bonners resigning saying it's because he'll be the 4th-5th big off the bench, no more than 15 mins.

I don't remember that. Wasn't Bonner starting for most of a season before he got the new contract? Someone suggesting something that stupid would have been eviscerated.

Wouldn't they?

fyatuk
05-04-2011, 01:33 PM
I can agree to a certain extent with Pop. Blair often looked like he wasn't putting in the effort after he was moved to the bench (which is where an undersized, post-playing energy guy belongs in the first place). Dyess's effort was inconsistent. RJ looked like he just didn't care.

Doesn't negate the fact that the Spurs need 1 more real big, and Bonner should play spot minutes unless they are playing against another perimeter big (Bonner can't guard the post, it's pathetic to watch, but he does okay on the perimiter against people his own size and speed).

I think RJ would do better coming off the bench as well. There's just no shots for him with the first team, and he's not interested in a game if he's not really going to get any shots.

lefty
05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Sorry guys, I dont even remember what I posted :lol

What was it ?

lefty
05-04-2011, 01:44 PM

Oh no

:cry:

Cessation
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Oh no

:cry:

Laker fans, ain't welcome here, get yer canuck ass downstairs. :cry

lefty
05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Laker fans, ain't welcome here, get yer canuck ass downstairs. :cry
Damn, you guys are mean with me :depressed

cantthinkofanything
05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
(Bonner can't guard the post, it's pathetic to watch, but he does okay on the perimiter against people his own size and speed).

And therein lies the problem. Anyone else that is his size is too quick for him. And the ones with his lack of speed are bigger and can take him in the post.

Seriously, what other bigs in the NBA can boast to combine the slowness, lack of size, and lack of athleticism of Matt Bonner?

fyatuk
05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
And therein lies the problem. Anyone else that is his size is too quick for him. And the ones with his lack of speed are bigger and can take him in the post.

Seriously, what other bigs in the NBA can boast to combine the slowness, lack of size, and lack of athleticism of Matt Bonner?

There are a handful of guys that Bonner has looked okay guarding. Of course a handful of guys in the entire NBA is a very limited pool.

mencken
05-04-2011, 02:31 PM

I won't touch the Richard Jefferson part because I agree with your sentiment (but I do find it frustrating considering how well be played at the beginning of the season).

In regards to Bonner, I was about to jump on the Bonner-hating bandwagon but, then I remembered that it wasn't just Bonner failing to connect on his 3pt attempts. Instead of throwing Bonner under the bus, give credit to the Grizzlies at denying the 3.

Remembering Bonner's "defense" makes me want to jump back on that bandwagon.

cantthinkofanything
05-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I won't touch the Richard Jefferson part because I agree with your sentiment (but I do find it frustrating considering how well be played at the beginning of the season).

In regards to Bonner, I was about to jump on the Bonner-hating bandwagon but, then I remembered that it wasn't just Bonner failing to connect on his 3pt attempts. Instead of throwing Bonner under the bus, give credit to the Grizzlies at denying the 3.

Remembering Bonner's "defense" makes me want to jump back on that bandwagon.

I think you're wrong. Almost all of Bonner's three pointers were wide open. Same for the other Spurs.

EVAY
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM

This.

Thank you.

TE
05-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Your family lives near Pop??!!
Dude why didn't you put some ''Free Tiago'' signs on his garden during the season.

DieHardSpursFan1537
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Tell your step-dad to tell Pop to come on this forum

DMC
05-04-2011, 05:43 PM
It's neat insight, nothing new like you said, but personally I would not post a personal conversation that occurred between neighbors.

Slydragon
05-04-2011, 06:32 PM
He was just watering the small or old flowers and letting the young ones rot.

Slydragon
05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
It's neat insight, nothing new like you said, but personally I would not post a personal conversation that occurred between neighbors.

Yup, Pop reads here too ya know.

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2011, 12:37 AM
And that is why Pop is a senile piece of shit. He is content with the roster, and will never accept that he is a retard for not developing that rotting 7-footer on the bench. I cannot wait until next season when Bonner continues to get more minutes.

If I lived next to Pop...well, let's just say I wouldn't for very long after an endless amount of burning sacks of shit I'd leave on his front porch.

Sean Cagney
05-05-2011, 12:38 AM

:rollin:rollin:lmao

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2011, 12:39 AM

Sure, wouldn't surprise me at all finding out Pop is a very friendly guy. Doesn't change he's a mother-F'ing moron.

Sean Cagney
05-05-2011, 12:39 AM
And that is why Pop is a senile piece of shit. He is content with the roster, and will never accept that he is a retard for not developing that rotting 7-footer on the bench. I cannot wait until next season when Bonner continues to get more minutes.

If I lived next to Pop...well, let's just say I wouldn't for very long after an endless amount of burning sacks of shit I'd leave on his front porch.

I can wait, some of his idiot fans wil say Bonner is shooting 50% or so through a few months and he will do better this time! He is not that bad on D :rollin:rollin. I can see it now, but I wish I would not see it.

ALVAREZ6
05-05-2011, 12:47 AM
I can wait, some of his idiot fans wil say Bonner is shooting 50% or so through a few months and he will do better this time! He is not that bad on D :rollin:rollin. I can see it now, but I wish I would not see it.

I'm not even totally against Bonner for all circumstances. I actually think he played quite well in parts of that series. I just don't understand worshipping him as a coach to the point where it causes you to not even consider playing a young, defensive minded 7 footer throughout the season, knowing full well that if the Spurs are to win another championship they likely would have seen opponents of the following pool: Lakers, Celtics, Thunder, etc. Any western conference team with that ambition should expect to confront LA for obvious reasons, and Pop implied the route to the NBA finals would have been this:

Round 1: Bucks
Round 2: Suns
Round 3: Mavs
Finals: Sixers

but, but .... but "it wouldn't be fair to the team!" :pop:

Ross Parrot
05-05-2011, 12:50 AM

:depressed
That's was depressing post. Reflects reality in a tragic comic way.

TJastal
05-05-2011, 08:07 AM

:lmao

SequSpur
05-05-2011, 11:09 PM
dumb....

DMC
05-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Yup, Pop reads here too ya know.
That's not even close to the point I was making. It's not about getting caught.

Agloco
05-06-2011, 08:38 AM

You can start and end the conversation with Tony tbh.

Pops mindset doesn't bode well for the future. If you're a Spur fan you can continue to expect your bread to be buttered with the same 'ole shit. Excuse my French.

Agloco
05-06-2011, 08:40 AM

:lol

mando6599
05-06-2011, 01:42 PM
op, then isn't that a coaching thing? It's on Pop to motivate them in practice and to get fundamentals down to where they're not making mistakes like those they made in game 6 in the waning moments. You think?

Duncan2177
05-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Pop is a idiot.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-09-2011, 01:47 AM
our last hope is peter holt and you better believe hes not a dumb shit. i think hes the only guy who can light a fire under his ass