PDA

View Full Version : Racism in Lawmaking (aka Manny's pulling the racecard for the 20398490248240 time)

MannyIsGod
05-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Here's a link to the study itself

http://butler.research.yale.edu/papers/AJPS_Discriminate.pdf

An exert

We find that the putatively black alias continues to be differentially treated even when the emails signal partisanship, indicating that strategic considerations cannot completely explain the observed differential treatment. Further analysis reveals that white legislators of both parties exhibit similar levels of discrimination against the black alias. Minority legislators do the opposite, responding more frequently to the black alias.

MannyIsGod
05-03-2011, 02:31 PM
BTW, I expect this to be dismissed by the usual parties but this is quantified proof of a discrepancy. Its obviously not the first time this has been provided but yeah. I look forward to the dismissals.

DarrinS
05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
"putatively black alias"

the fuck?

MannyIsGod
05-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Darrin, whens your birthday? I'll buy you a link to dictionary.com and gift it to you.

z0sa
05-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Whites favor whites, minorities favor minorities. Human nature's inherent obsession with physical appearance FTW.

I do find it interesting Democrats were just as "racially disposed" as Republicans were.

DarrinS
05-03-2011, 02:38 PM
An interesting exerpt from that paper:

White legislators of both parties discriminate against the black alias at nearly identical, statistically significant rates, while minority legislators do the opposite, responding more frequently to the black alias.

I guess it cuts both ways.

TeyshaBlue
05-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Here's a link to the study itself

http://butler.research.yale.edu/papers/AJPS_Discriminate.pdf

An exert

That's an awesome read, dude. Pretty cool methodology too.:toast

TeyshaBlue
05-03-2011, 03:01 PM
The breakdown into statitical v taste based bias is revealing. Alot of peeps who think they aren't racist, might not recognize the stat angle and the responses (or lack thereof) it can provoke.

TeyshaBlue
05-03-2011, 03:03 PM
btw...did this study just get released? I've seen it 3 times this week in other forums.

MannyIsGod
05-03-2011, 03:55 PM
The breakdown into statitical v taste based bias is revealing. Alot of peeps who think they aren't racist, might not recognize the stat angle and the responses (or lack thereof) it can provoke.

This is the biggest issue for me. I don't think its a conscious action for most people anymore.

I think it was a fairly recent study, btw. I found it through my RSS feed but I think bloggers like Ezra Klein are writing about it so that might be why its blowing up.

DarrinS
05-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I wish they would do a study on why black women freak out at IHOP restaurants.

clambake
05-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I wish they would do a study on why black women freak out at IHOP restaurants.

why don't you just fabricate some data. lol