PDA

View Full Version : Pac-10 firms up ESPN/Fox deal

tlongII
05-03-2011, 05:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6471380

The Pac-10 has agreed to a 12-year television contract with ESPN and Fox that will more than triple its media rights fees and be the most valuable for any conference in college sports.

The contract, which will begin with the 2012-13 season, will be worth more than $225 million per year -- or $2.7 billion over the life of the deal, Sports Business Daily and The Associated Press reported on Tuesday.

The deal with Fox and ESPN was first reported by Sports Business Daily, while The New York Times first reported details about the network. The contract is expected to be formally announced at a news conference in Phoenix on Wednesday.

The Pac-10 made less than $60 million in media rights this past season but became the latest conference to take advantage of the escalating market for college sports on television.

The ACC recently signed a deal for $155 million a year, and the Big 12 reached a deal with Fox that made its total annual package worth about $130 million.

The Pac-10, which will be renamed the Pac-12 in July with the additions of Utah and Colorado, topped those deals, as well as the $205 million the SEC gets and the $220 million paid to the Big Ten.

Under this deal, Fox and ESPN will split the rights to college football games. ESPN will air its games on cable as well as ABC; Fox will show its games on its broadcast network, basic cable network FX and on the Fox Sports Net regional networks.

Men's basketball games will be split mostly between ESPN and Fox Sports Net, with ESPN also getting rights to some Olympic sports that likely will be aired on ESPNU.

The two entities will alternate showing the Pac-12 football championship game and the men's basketball tournament. Fox, which will air the inaugural football title game this season, will have the first football championship under this contract in 2012, with ESPN getting the men's basketball tournament later that season, a person familiar with the deal told the AP.

Rights to some football and men's basketball games have not been given out yet, giving the conference the opportunity to start its own network if it chooses. Along with increasing rights fees and exposure, as this deal does, commissioner Larry Scott also went into negotiations looking to start a Pac-12 network to provide an outlet to broadcast non-revenue sports and to help brand the conference.

Finalizing a media rights deal is the latest step in the transformation of the conference under Scott, who took over from Tom Hansen in July 2009.

Scott spearheaded last year's expansion effort and then got the schools to agree to an equal revenue sharing plan and aggregate all of their media rights at the conference level.

That set the stage for the television negotiations, which began in earnest April 1. Although Comcast/NBC was an aggressive bidder and Turner Sports also was interested, incumbents Fox and ESPN won out.

This deal means full revenue sharing will kick in as soon as this contract begins. As part of an agreement to give up their historically larger share of television revenues, Southern California and UCLA each was to receive a $2 million premium any year that the media rights did not reach $170 million.

HUGE deal for the Pac-10/12! Larry Scott is THE MAN!

Blake
05-03-2011, 06:06 PM
What's the expected annual payout per school?

I didnt see it in the article...

tlongII
05-03-2011, 06:16 PM
What's the expected annual payout per school?

I didnt see it in the article...

That information hasn't been released yet, but it's equal revenue sharing by all conference teams. USC and UCLA had a clause to ensure they got an extra $2M if the deal didn't reach a specified target, but this exceeded the target.

The NY Times is reporting that the deal is for $3B.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/sports/04sandomir.html?ref=sports

The Pacific-10 Conference will start its own network on cable television in 2012, but will also sell most of its marquee football and basketball games to Fox and ESPN for about $3 billion over 12 years, more than quadrupling what the two companies have been paying.

Kermit
05-03-2011, 09:10 PM
I wonder how much it would've been had Aggy not gone Aggy.

JMarkJohns
05-03-2011, 09:15 PM
I've heard it's likely gonna be 3 billion, so divide by 12, then divide by 12 and you get roughly 21 million per program per year.

It's a damn good deal. Great for pay, great for exposure, each of which should help improve the product.

Kyle Orton
05-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Now U of A will have the money to hire Mike Leach after Stoops leads them to a 5-7 season this year.

JMarkJohns
05-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Now U of A will have the money to hire Mike Leach after Stoops leads them to a 5-7 season this year.

I'm optimistic it can bring about a change in stance regarding the concerns I voiced via PM a few weeks back. If UA is to be regarded as a big-time basketball program again, they will have to put their money where their mouth is. Pony up...

Kyle Orton
05-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah I'm not too concerned with the possibility of Miller leaving because of the pay-freeze. Just don't see it. I'm just praying this is Stoops' last season here. The team's progression has plateaued with him and that isn't gonna change, but my concern is his recruiting classes have gotten beyond terrible. A few more recruiting classes like the 2011 class and it's gonna take his replacement 5+ years to get UA football relevant again.

Marklar MM
05-05-2011, 07:57 PM
And the East coast still won't watch the games.

tlongII
05-06-2011, 09:23 AM
And the East coast still won't watch the games.

The new deal ensures we'll have at least one conference game televised in prime time on the east coast every week.

tlongII
05-06-2011, 09:23 AM
the pac-10 plays sports now?

Conference of Champions baby!

tlongII
05-07-2011, 01:21 PM
COCks?

Awwwwwww I thought it gonbe Hemann?!

Brutalis
05-07-2011, 02:36 PM
What a waste.

Girasuck
05-09-2011, 04:55 PM
If I remember correctly, which is probably not the case, I believe Utah and Colorado don't get full shares until 2014.

tlongII
05-10-2011, 11:01 AM
If I remember correctly, which is probably not the case, I believe Utah and Colorado don't get full shares until 2014.

That's true, although they are probably still getting more than they were with their old conferences.

MajorMike
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
This is the P10's main contract. The B12 contract was only for secondary games that E$PN/ABC weren't already airing.