PDA

View Full Version : I want defense back

Nathan89
05-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Defense is what the Spurs used to be known for. Even offenses that seem elite and almost unstoppable like the Suns couldn't win because they had no defense.

The Spurs have shown that their offense is very stoppable and they have a have holes that make the defense look terrible.

All I want is a puncher's chance against anyone we match up against in next years playoffs. Defense will provide that puncher's chance. I wish the Spurs could get a offensive weapon like Carl Landry to help take the load off of Duncan but I don't think there is a way. It is much more conceivable to me that the Spurs sure up the Defense.

Trade1-
Spurs Get- Varejao
Cleveland Get-Rj

Trade2-
Spurs Get- T.Prince
Pistons Get- Dice + Anderson

Why Cleveland does it:
-Rj contract is a year shorter
-Cavs have Hickson and Jamison to play pf
-Rj should be able to play well with B. Davis,Hickson, and Jamison pushing up and down.
The trade may need more to make the Cavs happy but it shouldn't take much more IMO.

Pistons do it:
-Save money

Starting lineup

C-Duncan
Pf-Varejao
Sf-Prince
Sg-Ginobili
Pg-Parker
6.Hill
7.Neal
8.Splitter
9.Bonner
10.Blair
11.Quinn
12.Novak

Still would want to trade Hill + Blair- maybe for Batum. Maybe a 6'7 sg/sf who is more versatile than Batum.

Bonner would serve a role on this team as the fourth big. That is unless something else happened.

Hopefully we can get a better backup pg than Quinn.

We would definitely have defense again. That very thought puts a smile on my face.

rick1991
05-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I would love for trade 1 to happen. Trade 2 does not need to happen because Prince in a Free Agent. Maybe if Tim resigns for half of what he is now making we can go after Tayshaun Prince. Then have Andy Varajao step in and play great defense. We can have a front court of Tim, Varajao, Splitter, and Blair. Would love to get these deals done and bring the defensive mentality back to the Spurs.

elemento
05-03-2011, 11:17 PM
1st trade will never happen

RJ has negative value, AV does not. The Cavs could to much better than that if they want to trade Varejao, even coming from an injury.

And the 2nd trade won't happen because Prince is free agent. And we won't be able to land him because we will be paying 9.3M to Mr. Dick Jefferson.

rick1991
05-03-2011, 11:22 PM
We can land Prince if Tim signs a two year $20 million dollar contract. We can then get Prince for $7 million if he is willing. And if we can get Varajo maybe we can send RJ for someone else, you have to remember who RJ was before he came to the Spurs. His skills have not suddenly disapperead. He simply does not fit into the Spurs system. Plus what kind of numbers are you expecting from him when he only get 6 shots a game? Seriously the guy gets no plays run for him and everyone wants to bitch at his output...

Chomag
05-03-2011, 11:26 PM
We can land Prince if Tim signs a two year $20 million dollar contract. We can then get Prince for $7 million if he is willing. And if we can get Varajo maybe we can send RJ for someone else, you have to remember who RJ was before he came to the Spurs. His skills have not suddenly disapperead. He simply does not fit into the Spurs system. Plus what kind of numbers are you expecting from him when he only get 6 shots a game? Seriously the guy gets no plays run for him and everyone wants to bitch at his output...

Trade value is usually based on how the player is currently. Your talking over 2 whole seasons ago, thats a very long time to be in a slump.

TDMVPDPOY
05-03-2011, 11:28 PM

MONEY WISE whats the incentive for duncan to take a 2yr 20m besides limiting his tax instead of 1yr 21m remaining on contract....

rick1991
05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Trade value is usualy based on how the player is currently. Your talking over 2 whole seasons ago, thats a very long time to be in a slump.

Not a slump its just a bad fit for RJ. Of course its not going to be easy to trade him or even worth it if the trade prospect does not fit in the system either. Its not impossible to trade him thats all I am saying

Chomag
05-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Not a slump its just a bad fit for RJ. Of course its not going to be easy to trade him or even worth it if the trade prospect does not fit in the system either. Its not impossible to trade him thats all I am saying

It's not that hes is so terrible, but it's more so ihis contract that hurts him the most. 30 mil on just an assumption that RJ could still be the player he was several years ago is not very enticing to other teams.

MaNu4Tres
05-03-2011, 11:56 PM
:lol

MaNu4Tres
05-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Trade value is usually based on how the player is currently. Your talking over 2 whole seasons ago, thats a very long time to be in a slump.

There's more that contributes to trade value.

100%duncan
05-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Who doesn't

Holden_Caulfield
05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
the reason i became a spurs fan.

NewcastleKEG
05-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Pretty much every sad truth has already been covered.

For the Cavs: Hickson sucks on defense and AV sucks on offense so they are the perfect pair. Plus AV is a widely respected defender in this league, they can get some nice pieces in return

Nathan89
05-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Pretty much every sad truth has already been covered.

For the Cavs: Hickson sucks on defense and AV sucks on offense so they are the perfect pair. Plus AV is a widely respected defender in this league, they can get some nice pieces in return

Perfect pair that won 19 games together.

Dallas showing Spurs the importance of defense. If only we could match teams pound for pound we would have made a deep run this year.

Sean Cagney
05-05-2011, 12:31 AM

NO DOUBT, their identity was TOUGH D! I miss that like you do.

SenorSpur
05-05-2011, 12:32 AM
I would give anything to be a fly on the wall at the next Spurs coaches meeting. I can only hope that Pop, RC and the bunch are watching these playoffs and are getting a sobering reminder that defense, and having good defenders on your team, STILL wins in this league.

Sean Cagney
05-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I would give anything to be a fly on the wall at the next Spurs coaches meeting. I can only hope that Pop, RC and the bunch are watching these playoffs and are getting a sobering reminder that defense, and having good defenders on your team, STILL wins in this league.

Why did these bozos ever forget what won them 4 rings? How could they? Is it that long ago? I hated the makeup of this team this year, I said I hated like 02 but in 02 they played great D! I can't remember a SPURS team this bad on D? When was it? I hate jump shooting teams too, this team was everything I hated and I still love them.

SenorSpur
05-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Why did these bozos ever forget what won them 4 rings? How could they? Is it that long ago? I hated the makeup of this team this year, I said I hated like 02 but in 02 they played great D! I can't remember a SPURS team this bad on D? When was it? I hate jump shooting teams too, this team was everything I hated and I still love them.

I would guess, and this is only a guess, that their hubris, and a tight payroll, had something to do with it. Payroll constraints aside, it's incumbent upon the GM to make smart decisions about building and maintaining talent on the roster. Resigning Bonner ad RJ, along with surrounding Duncan with a weak frontline, were not smart decisions.

Ross Parrot
05-05-2011, 12:42 AM

Yes sir! Bring back defense! I don't care if they don't make it past the second round or first, just do it, Pop! :bang

Sean Cagney
05-05-2011, 01:23 AM
I would guess, and this is only a guess, that their hubris, and a tight payroll, had something to do with it. Payroll constraints aside, it's incumbent upon the GM to make smart decisions about building and maintaining talent on the roster. Resigning Bonner ad RJ, along with surrounding Duncan with a weak frontline, were not smart decisions.

HELL NO, good post there.

MaNu4Tres
05-05-2011, 01:30 AM
I can't say enough about how important Haywood and Chandler have been for the Mavs success against the Lakers after the first two games.

My question is this, if Pop is the coach for the Mavs-- Who does he play?

Haywood or Cardinal (serious question)?

Carlisle makes it a priority to always keep a defensive big in the game at all times. This concept obviously keeps the defense consistent throughout the course of the 48 minutes.

Why did part of Pop's brain die in May of 06'? Why?

Ross Parrot
05-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Cardinal. Because he spreads the floor.

SenorSpur
05-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Cardinal. Because he spreads the floor.

:lol

20beastie45
05-05-2011, 05:03 AM
Who doesn't

+1:toast

portnoy1
05-05-2011, 05:45 AM
They have a point guard (Kidd) that faciliates and looks for mismatches, especially with Dirk. And the other non-shooters (Chandler/Haywood/Marion) react and play off the double teams. Which allows them to play at least one 7footer(Chandler or Haywood). With the Spurs the other guys watch and wait for TP to do his thing, not much movement.

Also they have a versatile bench.
Terry is like neal and but gets alot more shots.
Peja is like Novak (always looking to get one up).
Haywood (a legit 2nd seven foot center)

Spurs dont have or play any those type players to their full potential.