PDA

View Full Version : No trash talking, no big surprises

SpursDynasty
05-05-2011, 06:29 PM
The Mavericks simply are just doing what they're supposed to do. They came into this series vs. the Lakers as the favorites, and are just beating a team they're supposed to beat. Spurs fans are not trash talking the Lakers, because the Lakers weren't even expected to win this series, and they're not. So what is there to trash talk about? It is what it is. The Lakers aren't choking nor is this an upset. The league is more talented than it was only a year ago, talented enough to where not even the officials can fix games. The Lakers tried to come out and win the series by shooting jumpers and getting calls to go their way, but it's not happening this series.

I think the Lakers are just not catching breaks the way they did in 2009 with the Yao injury and 2010 with the Perkins injury. The Lakers have won the majority of their championships in the Kobe era by being in the right place the right time. Luckily enough for them, it worked in 2000, 2002, 2009, and 2010. 2001 was their only true championship that they went out and earned. This year, no such luck. Dallas came to play some real playoff basketball and aren't depending on Hollywood to win them a championship this year the way the Lakers do.

Once again, this is not a trash talking thread. The Lakers are just going out, taking care of business, and doing what they're supposed to do. And barring any 2006 and 2007 type of Dallas collapses, Dallas could very well be on their way to a championship.

Giuseppe
05-05-2011, 06:36 PM
& I'll go ya one better:::there is no trash talking out of the actual Mavs. No skin & grin off the ball, i.e. The Nuggets. No preemptive seeding of the officiating, i.e. a dozen or more clubs. No post game theatrics at victory, i.e. a dozen or more clubs.

They have a plan, a mission, and it's all about that. Nothing more. Nothing personal. Strictly business. As painful as it is to behold for my interests, it is upon gross examination a thing of stark beauty. It's what Memphis had Vs. the Spurs. They now have jumped off that head of a pin and are amongst the hordes. We'll see if the Mavs can sustain.

DMC
05-05-2011, 06:42 PM
In my opinion, this series hinges on Kobe's mindset going into game 3. If Kobe decides to trust his teammates and let the entire team either win or lose together, they should be fine. If Kobe instead decides to just give them a probationary trust period of oh, 5 minutes or a quarter or something along those lines before he decides it's him or nothing, they are fucked.

The way I see it, Kobe has three modes: He has assist and limited shots mode that gets others involved. That's the best mode for the Lakers though Phil might not agree. Most here will probably agree with that. He has complete defer mode aka "what you gonna do" mode. That one is not good, because it's him throwing a tantrum and saying "you cannot win without me". He does that to prove a point. Now is not the time for that. Then he has all out chucker mode where he just puts on the blinders and plays one on 5 for the entire game until Phil pulls him, at which time he pouts off to the sidelines but with a nice padded stat line to artificially quell any talk about "fault" aimed at him. All he has to do is say "hey, I had 45 points and 12 rebounds, it's not my fault the others couldn't get it done... I need more help". That would be the worst thing that could happen for the Lakers because the Mavs are not the Raptors.

cobbler
05-05-2011, 06:50 PM
In my opinion, this series hinges on Kobe's mindset going into game 3. If Kobe decides to trust his teammates and let the entire team either win or lose together, they should be fine. If Kobe instead decides to just give them a probationary trust period of oh, 5 minutes or a quarter or something along those lines before he decides it's him or nothing, they are fucked.

The way I see it, Kobe has three modes: He has assist and limited shots mode that gets others involved. That's the best mode for the Lakers though Phil might not agree. Most here will probably agree with that. He has complete defer mode aka "what you gonna do" mode. That one is not good, because it's him throwing a tantrum and saying "you cannot win without me". He does that to prove a point. Now is not the time for that. Then he has all out chucker mode where he just puts on the blinders and plays one on 5 for the entire game until Phil pulls him, at which time he pouts off to the sidelines but with a nice padded stat line to artificially quell any talk about "fault" aimed at him. All he has to do is say "hey, I had 45 points and 12 rebounds, it's not my fault the others couldn't get it done... I need more help". That would be the worst thing that could happen for the Lakers because the Mavs are not the Raptors.

Dont disagree with the majority of that. The delima, the real difficult part for both Kobe and PJ is where to draw that line IMO. How many times do you defer and assist and try to get your guys going if they just dont have it? I think you know what im getting at. At a point you have to say heck I cant possibly do any worse. He definetly has to give em more leash this game in hopes they snap out of the funk cause even if he goes off and pulls one of those gems, it won't bode well for them long term.

If they come out and play team ball and Odom and Pau pul their heads out and they shoot anywhere close to normal they well be in the game. If they win tomorrow whatch out cause then a ton of pressure shifts to the other side of the court.

We shall see. Im leaning Lakers! I know, shocking! :toast

i MAke GOod POlls
05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
& I'll go ya one better:::there is no trash talking out of the actual Mavs. No skin & grin off the ball, i.e. The Nuggets. No preemptive seeding of the officiating, i.e. a dozen or more clubs. No post game theatrics at victory, i.e. a dozen or more clubs.

They have a plan, a mission, and it's all about that. Nothing more. Nothing personal. Strictly business. As painful as it is to behold for my interests, it is upon gross examination a thing of stark beauty. It's what Memphis had Vs. the Spurs. They now have jumped off that head of a pin and are amongst the hordes. We'll see if the Mavs can sustain.

The Mavs are a veteran team with a ton of playoff experience led by a coach with similar credentials. They're a professional club who do things the right way. That's why I knew this series would be tough for the Lakers. They have guys who have been to the Finals as key players, so they're not gonna get too high or low after a win or loss.

Kidd, Stojakovic, Nowitzki, Chandler, Terry, Marion are all playoff veterans who've seen it all

DMC
05-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Dont disagree with the majority of that. The delima, the real difficult part for both Kobe and PJ is where to draw that line IMO. How many times do you defer and assist and try to get your guys going if they just dont have it?
I think you know what im getting at. At a point you have to say heck I cant possibly do any worse. He definetly has to give em more leash this game in hopes they snap out of the funk cause even if he goes off and pulls one of those gems, it won't bode well for them long term.

You cannot have a point where you say fuck the team, I think, because you must have a team to win. If you give up on them, you have already conceded the game because one person cannot beat a team of 5. On Kobe's best day, he might could get a close game with his chucking, but without his team involved, they are done. I think they have to go out swinging like they want to be a team, not like they want to blow the team up again. The 2004 debacle was ugly. One loss in the playoffs and everyone in LA is screaming for heads on a platter. Play team ball, then let the chips fall where they may.

At some point Kobe has to realize that the Lakers are a team, it's not Kobe and the Lakers, no matter how the media spins it. It's the Lakers.

If they come out and play team ball and Odom and Pau pul their heads out and they shoot anywhere close to normal they well be in the game. If they win tomorrow whatch out cause then a ton of pressure shifts to the other side of the court.

Some pressure will shift indeed. I have a hard time thinking it's over and so I've avoided saying so. It's going to be a good game regardless. It's interesting that the Lakers won't suffer even without Artest, who was a franchise player for a previous team (sort of).

Banzai
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
The Mavericks simply are just doing what they're supposed to do. They came into this series vs. the Lakers as the favorites, and are just beating a team they're supposed to beat. Spurs fans are not trash talking the Lakers, because the Lakers weren't even expected to win this series, and they're not. So what is there to trash talk about? It is what it is. The Lakers aren't choking nor is this an upset. The league is more talented than it was only a year ago, talented enough to where not even the officials can fix games. The Lakers tried to come out and win the series by shooting jumpers and getting calls to go their way, but it's not happening this series.

I think the Lakers are just not catching breaks the way they did in 2009 with the Yao injury and 2010 with the Perkins injury. The Lakers have won the majority of their championships in the Kobe era by being in the right place the right time. Luckily enough for them, it worked in 2000, 2002, 2009, and 2010. 2001 was their only true championship that they went out and earned. This year, no such luck. Dallas came to play some real playoff basketball and aren't depending on Hollywood to win them a championship this year the way the Lakers do.

Once again, this is not a trash talking thread. The Lakers are just going out, taking care of business, and doing what they're supposed to do. And barring any 2006 and 2007 type of Dallas collapses, Dallas could very well be on their way to a championship.

I for one wouldn't mind..assuming the Lakers lose this series. My mindset has always been to go for the team that comes out of the West..regardless of who they may be. Keep the title out West..not the East I say.

cobbler
05-05-2011, 07:12 PM
The Mavs are a veteran team with a ton of playoff experience led by a coach with similar credentials. They're a professional club who do things the right way. That's why I knew this series would be tough for the Lakers. They have guys who have been to the Finals as key players, so they're not gonna get too high or low after a win or loss.

Kidd, Stojakovic, Nowitzki, Chandler, Terry, Marion are all playoff veterans who've seen it all

all but the ring.

cobbler
05-05-2011, 07:20 PM
You cannot have a point where you say fuck the team, I think, because you must have a team to win. If you give up on them, you have already conceded the game because one person cannot beat a team of 5. On Kobe's best day, he might could get a close game with his chucking, but without his team involved, they are done. I think they have to go out swinging like they want to be a team, not like they want to blow the team up again. The 2004 debacle was ugly. One loss in the playoffs and everyone in LA is screaming for heads on a platter. Play team ball, then let the chips fall where they may.

At some point Kobe has to realize that the Lakers are a team, it's not Kobe and the Lakers, no matter how the media spins it. It's the Lakers.

Some pressure will shift indeed. I have a hard time thinking it's over and so I've avoided saying so. It's going to be a good game regardless. It's interesting that the Lakers won't suffer even without Artest, who was a franchise player for a previous team (sort of).

Never meant to imply that. There is however a point where you bench someones ass or you cant go to him anymore. You toss it to Bynum or Pau or anyone for that matter a they go 1-8 or something you go elswhere. And its up to that player to step up and contribute in other areas. That goes for Kobe as well.

It's not over.

cobbler
05-05-2011, 07:22 PM
I for one wouldn't mind..assuming the Lakers lose this series. My mindset has always been to go for the team that comes out of the West..regardless of who they may be. Keep the title out West..not the East I say.

Touchee! Always! Fuck those east coast biased pricks. You lose, you tip your hat and you wish the best team goes forward to rep the West.

We're not losing though.

Budkin
05-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Spurs Dynasty, just posting a post he was supposed to post.

HarlemHeat37
05-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Touchee! Always! Fuck those east coast biased pricks. You lose, you tip your hat and you wish the best team goes forward to rep the West.

We're not losing though.

:lol sorry..

DMC
05-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Never meant to imply that. There is however a point where you bench someones ass or you cant go to him anymore. You toss it to Bynum or Pau or anyone for that matter a they go 1-8 or something you go elswhere. And its up to that player to step up and contribute in other areas. That goes for Kobe as well.

It's not over.

There are lots of moments like that for the coach, but none for Kobe. He has a tendency to virtually bench people from the floor by intentionally not including them in the offense. Phil can decide who to play, but Kobe needs to play with the team he has on the floor. That's what I was saying.

Giuseppe
05-05-2011, 11:14 PM
There are lots of moments like that for the coach, but none for Kobe. He has a tendency to virtually bench people from the floor by intentionally not including them in the offense. Phil can decide who to play, but Kobe needs to play with the team he has on the floor. That's what I was saying.

He can't be doing too bad. He ain't lost over consecutive Junes.

DMC
05-05-2011, 11:17 PM
He can't be doing too bad. He ain't lost over consecutive Junes.
That's all fine, but the league doesn't reward bonus points based on a running playoff average over the seasons. It's about this year. I keep saying that but you keep ignoring it, even after you've said it yourself.

Giuseppe
05-05-2011, 11:18 PM
That's all fine, but the league doesn't reward bonus points based on a running playoff average over the seasons. It's about this year. I keep saying that but you keep ignoring it, even after you've said it yourself.

He ain't lost over consecutive Junes. This June ain't come & gone without him yet.

DMC
05-06-2011, 12:03 AM
He ain't lost over consecutive Junes. This June ain't come & gone without him yet.
Surely you've heard of Gambler's Fallacy.

What you are doing is the inverse. Still a fallacy.

Lizard_King
05-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Dont disagree with the majority of that. The delima, the real difficult part for both Kobe and PJ is where to draw that line IMO. How many times do you defer and assist and try to get your guys going if they just dont have it? I think you know what im getting at. At a point you have to say heck I cant possibly do any worse. He definetly has to give em more leash this game in hopes they snap out of the funk cause even if he goes off and pulls one of those gems, it won't bode well for them long term.

I'm glad you agreed with me in that other thread, we gotta teach axe murderer his fucking lesson.

He'll never forget.