PDA

View Full Version : Conversation with Avery Johnson just now

GrandeDavid
05-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Yes, my folks are on a roll meeting all these NBAers. Anyway, my parents are in Louisville for the Kentucky Derby (I like Nehro and Twice the Appeal, btw) and they sit up in the in Jockey Club Suites as horse owners. Its a fairly intimate environment and in the past they've sat next to celebs such as Kid Rock, Rick Pitino and so on. A couple of years ago Avery Johnson sat at their table. Just yesterday they attended some event and Avery was there again. So here goes...

My step father greeted Avery and Avery remembered having met him a couple of years ago and asked him some accounting question or other. They confirmed where they'd be sitting, which is not at the same table but at an adjacent one. My step father told Avery that he saw Pop the other day and to guess what he was doing. Avery said "I don't know, about to jump in his swimming pool?" My step father said no, "Gardening." And they laughed. He then told Avery how he congratulated Pop on an excellent season and how he thought that that Memphis series could've gone in the Spurs favor had a couple of bounces gone their way.

Avery's reply was, "You know Jim, that's how the NBA is today. Its a free throw here, a whistle there...and a guy like Manu gets hurt and that makes it even tougher." My step father then confirmed that Avery was coaching in New Jersey and asked if he was trying to make them like the Spurs organization and Avery replied, "That's exactly what I'm doing. In fact, I think every team is trying to be like the Spurs organization."

My step father then commented on how Avery left his mark in Dallas, to which Avery replied, "Yeah, you see how my guys are doing now!? You gotta play some defense to contend, and that's exactly what Dallas is doing."

Finally, before ending the NBA discussion and talking about horses, my step father asked what he thinks of the Spurs coming into next season, and Avery said something like "The Spurs are going nowhere. They'll be back strong and hungry next season."

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I'll let you guys know if/when they run into Bruce Bowen or Manu! lol lol

Fireball
05-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the inside information ...

in2deep
05-06-2011, 02:38 PM
"That's exactly what I'm doing. In fact, I think every team is trying to be like the Spurs organization."

great news! every team in the league wants Bonner

Fireball
05-06-2011, 02:44 PM

RCs phone will be ringing very soon ... lets get Humphries for Bonner.

spurs10
05-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing. It did indeed sound verbatim from Avery's mouth, everything he said was dead on. Not surprised him mentioning Manu's condition when discussing how things played out. Don't hear about that too often in the media. Quite a bit about Manu's age and very little about his dnp and sprained arm.

Chris
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Bear Hug Defense! :lol
I can never forgive Avery after 2006 :lol

tp2021
05-06-2011, 04:00 PM
The Spurs are going nowhere.

:stirpot:

DMC
05-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Did he ask Avery about the timeout in the Finals game or the foul on Wade? If so, how did that go?

Budkin
05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Wow your family are like Spurs insiders! Thanks Dave!

Fabbs
05-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by GrandeDavid

"That's exactly what I'm doing. In fact, I think every team is trying to be like the Spurs organization."

:lol Rack him.

k_nguyen93
05-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Wow your family are like Spurs insiders! Thanks Dave!

Do we have to pay like BSPN Insider?

Nets = potential farm team for Spurs :)? Everywhere you look now teams are going after random Spurs guys.

Avery: "We feel like Kris was really taking away all the rebounds from Brooke and his personal life was too much to deal with. We already have Beyonce and Maria Sharapova attending games. We wish him the best but are excited to have Richard Jefferson back. His improved 3 point shooting as well as Matt's league leading percentage will help challenge Anthony Morrow to step up his game."

ploto
05-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Sounds like Avery- trying to take credit for what Dallas is doing now.

Josh810
05-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds like Avery- trying to take credit for what Dallas is doing now.

Or that he's joking around.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-06-2011, 09:42 PM
correct me if im wrong, but he told your dad the spurs arent doing shit this coming season? weird

bluefoot
05-07-2011, 01:08 AM
It's like I'm reading Dan Cook's Mr. Broadhind series all over again.

SenorSpur
05-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Good read. Thanks for sharing the inside information.

Maybe your folks will run into Bowen and perhaps they can glean the "real" and "behind-the-scenes" story as to why his Salon and Spa shut its doors.

Obstructed_View
05-07-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd call BS on this since it's so similar to the other thread, but if it's fabricated, the OP did his research because AJ loves going to the track.

SequSpur
05-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Dumb..

The_Worlds_finest
05-11-2011, 12:41 PM
For some reason when I was reading what Avery was saying I read it in his voice

rr2418
05-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Sorry, but I don't buy this info! Like another poster pointed out, this sounds too much like Dan Cook's Mr. Broadhind. I do admit the post makes for some good reading material, but it's fabricated IMHO.

TE
05-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I'd call BS on this since it's so similar to the other thread, but if it's fabricated, the OP did his research because AJ loves going to the track.

Exactly. This guy seems to have family members at the right place and the right time.