PDA

View Full Version : Serious Thread. How would you beat the Pistons?

T Park
06-08-2005, 11:19 PM
What in your opinion, is the best way to beat the Pistons.

What do the Spurs have to do.

Please, lets have serious replys, thanks.

Clandestino
06-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Same thing we've been doing. TP and Manu penetrating, feeding Tim... if he is double-teamed kick out to open player and he makes his shot... then get back on d...

boutons
06-08-2005, 11:32 PM
do what has been winning games for the Spurs all playoffs. Great defense as the basis for FB/transition points, attacking the paint with Tim, Nazr from the inside, Tony, Manu from the outside, and hit the outside shots, and excellent crunch time execution.

My biggest worry is the Pistons defense. The Spurs have struggled, and often lost, or won ugly, all year against any defense that is played seriously, aggressively.

combs84
06-08-2005, 11:33 PM
You're not going to beat us in a half court game.

Run on us, get quick pull up shots, easy transition buckets and hurt our confidence. if you try to feed the ball into Duncan everytime, or depend on Ginob to drive and get to the FT Line, you're going to lose.

T Park
06-08-2005, 11:42 PM
if you try to feed the ball into Duncan everytime, or depend on Ginob to drive and get to the FT Line, you're going to lose.

who is gonna defend Duncan??

Ive yet to hear.

If its Rasheed, hes easy to play against.

Ben Wallace is a joke one on one defensively.

LilMissSPURfect
06-08-2005, 11:44 PM

What do the Spurs have to do.

Please, lets have serious replys, thanks.

DUNCAN !

BadlyDrawnBoy
06-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Run. The can't defend the transition game.

I say run and then when in half court, go to Duncan as much as possible until they begin to double and triple team.

Then pass it out for a 3bomb.

If none of that works, we can just throw beer at them or something.

LilMissSPURfect
06-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Run. The can't defend the transition game.

I say run and then when in half court, go to Duncan as much as possible until they begin to double and triple team.

Then pass it out for a 3bomb.

If none of that works, we can just throw beer at them or something.
:lol :lol

mookie2001
06-08-2005, 11:54 PM
do not let carlos arroyo or antonio mcdyess score at all

G-Nob
06-08-2005, 11:55 PM
As long as bruce can slow down rip, we'll be okay. Detroit will have at least two games where they'll be non-existant offensively. It will be up to SA to pull out the other two with defense of their own. As rip goes, so does the rest of the team. Tony must make billups work. Just like nash. Pressure him full court. Make him make quick passes and by all means do not leave him open on the perimeter. Detroit has seven guys they rotate in and out which benefits the spurs and their deep bench. Spurs cannot let up one time penetrating when detroit is tired. SA should get their share of free throws when that happens. Just stay focused and go for the throat as often as possible to keep doubt in their minds.

SequSpur
06-09-2005, 12:04 AM
Drive to the SBC, put their uniforms on and the tough part is over.

Spurs in four.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-09-2005, 12:11 AM
* Help on the screens for Rip. Spurs did a great job of flashing on the perimeter until Bowen could recover against Ray Ray, we'll have to see it again.

* Tony needs to come out as a wash against Chauncey, or close to it.

* Set lots of screens to free up Manu from Prince

* Give Big Dog some run

* Manu - Horry pick and roll. No explanation needed.

* Get Tim some easy looks - cross screens set by guys like Nazr, Manu, etc.

Lame take Tpark. Outside of Karl Malone no one has done a better job of defending Tim Duncan in his time in the league than Rasheed Wallace.

* Make Ben Wallace guard his man. He's going to try to help off of Nazr, we've got to look for big Mo when he does.

* Attack the hoop, get their big men in foul trouble.

* Bring some creativity to the offense. Larry will be expecting same ol' Pop, change it up on him.

slayermin
06-09-2005, 12:16 AM
TD needs to be efficient. TP and Manu must attack the basket and draw fouls. Nazr needs to battle like we know he can. Horry needs to hit some shots. Barry needs to do whatever he can to help the team. I'm not too worried about Bruce. He's gonna hound Rip Hamilton like Michael Jackson does Boy Scouts around a campfire.

myhc
06-09-2005, 12:23 AM
-Tony Parker is the Rasheed Wallace of his team in that when they both play well and score over 20 for their team, its almost guaranteed a victory so look out for that.

-Manu and Tim must continue to do what they've done and I have the utmost confidence in them coming through.

-Like people have been saying, I think we can run on them. Detroit will be clanking up a bad jump shot or two, guaranteed, so Tony and Manu need to push the ball as much as possible.

-Defensively, Bruce won't shut down Rip but if it takes him 20 shots to get to 20 points, he's done his job.

Sense
06-09-2005, 12:24 AM
You're not going to beat us in a half court game.

Run on us, get quick pull up shots, easy transition buckets and hurt our confidence. if you try to feed the ball into Duncan everytime, or depend on Ginob to drive and get to the FT Line, you're going to lose.

ROFL.

You should've side noted the name of the thread " to the pistons fans"

Old School Chic
06-09-2005, 12:36 AM
3 Pointers...

Horry for 3 :spin

BigDaddyMatty
06-09-2005, 12:44 AM
same as always. Tony and Manu must be aggressive to the hole...Get Tim the ball...And hit the open jumpers that both create..

On D they have to stay with the jump shooters. Stay in front and don't foul. No running game to worry about, so they need to just man up and stay tight.

T Park
06-09-2005, 01:24 AM
i think in the half court, you half to defend them like you did Seattle and Denver all in one.

Guard Rip like you did Allen.

Guard Billups like you guarded Andre Miller, force him to drive, hes not a quick pg, force him to pass off to guys like Prince or Ben Wallace for off balance shots.

also, like i made a point before, get out in transisiton, thats how New Jersey almost beat em, thats how Indiana was beating them, thats how Miami was beating them.

Also, pick and roll, Ginobili and Duncan, Ginobili and Horry.

Dont be afraid Tim Duncan when you get the ball, go right at the hole.

Getting Ben or Rasheed in foul trouble gets you against guys like McDyss or Elden Cambell.

you do that, you dominate.

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Tim Duncan stay aggressive on both ends.
Tony and Manu keep penetrating.
Barry hit some shots and run the floor.
GRob and Devin get some playing time.
Bruce do what you do when you do it.

Attack and get their bigs in foul trouble. Manu needs to go "superstar" on them. :)

Spurs in Five.

T Park
06-09-2005, 02:19 AM
i dont know about Devin Brown, Brent Barry would be nice, but who really expects it.

Agree with Duncan, when you get the ball, GO!!!!!

Manu yes, Tony?? Master the tear drop, they wont give up layups.

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 02:23 AM
According to all reports, Devin is going to get playing time in this series. We'll see how much he can go -- he's perfect to use against this team if he can go.

I'm not sure how Barry will fare against Detroit. He needs to hit shots very early (or do something else positive) to warrant playing time because he won't be able to matchup well with anyone defensively.

whottt
06-09-2005, 02:43 AM
To beat the Pistons...

On O...

I'd try move Sheed or Ben out of the paint as much as possible to soften up that middle for Duncan Manu and Parker...that's something Nazr can't do...something that Rasho(he can do it better than Nazr) and Horry can...

Any time Sheed is out of the paint you take it right at Big Ben...especially with Duncan..and try to get him into foul trouble...Duncan's ability to get the Pistons bigs in foul trouble is a huge advantage for us that the Pistons bigs can't match. When Ben is out of the game the Pistons are just another team...

On D...

The guys you need to stop are Billups and Prince...not Billups and Hamilton or Prince and Hamilton...

Billups and Prince are the guys that can break down our D...Not Rip...Rip is a jump shooter...he scores off other guys breaking down our D. He should not be the defensive focus...he should be the guy we force to beat us and the focus should be on Billups and Prince.

Rip is going to get his because he uses his teamates to get open...he's the guy we're are least likely to be able to stop because of the nature of his game...

Parker will do ok against Billups...but Billups is clutch in the 4th...

That leaves the X factor as Prince...Manu is not good at denying penetration...Prince is the most talented penetrator on their team IMO..put Bruce on him and turn him into a shooter...a frustrated shooter.

That is how you beat the Pistons...they want us to put our best defender on Rip...because when it's all said and done Rip will still get his...and he'll turn Prince into a monster while we are trying to stop him.

It's a huge error IMO to waste Bruce on Hamilton...I hope it's not the main thing that the Spurs do with Bruce.

Sense
06-09-2005, 02:48 AM
To beat the Pistons...

On O...

I'd try move Sheed or Ben out of the paint as much as possible to soften up that middle for Duncan Manu and Parker...that's something Nazr can't do...something that Rasho(he can do it better than Nazr) and Horry can...

Any time Sheed is out of the paint you take it right at Wallace...especially with Duncan..and try to get him into foul trouble...Duncan's ability to get the Pistons bigs in foul trouble is a huge advantage for us that the Pistons can't match.

On D...

The guys you need to stop are Billups and Prince...not Billups and Hamilton or Prince and Hamilton...

Billups and Prince are the guys that can break down our D...Not Rip...Rip is a jump shooter...he scores off other guys breaking down our D. He should not be the defensive focus...he should be the guy we force to beat us and the focus should be on Billups and Prince.

Rip is going to get his because he uses his teamates to get open...he's the guy we're are least likely to be able to stop because of the nature of his game...

Parker will do ok against Billups...but Billups is clutch in the 4th...

That leaves the X factor as Prince...Manu is not good at denying penetration...Prince is the most talented penetrator on their team IMO..put Bruce on him and turn him into a shooter...a frustrated shooter.

That is how you beat the Pistons...they want us to put our best defender on Rip...because when it's all said and done Rip will still get his...and he'll turn Prince into a monster while we are trying to stop him.

It's a huge error IMO to waste Bruce on Hamilton...I hope it's not the main thing that the Spurs do with Bruce.

Good points but you still don't know what you are gonna get from both ends..

Remember this is the finals...

I say stick with what we've done for the last 3 games against them.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 02:53 AM
Horry should get more minutes than Mohammad. Rasho is not the answer and would fit well against Miami because of Shaq but you need more outside threats. Putting Duncan at center would force Ben to guard him and Rasheed to guard Horry. This is the best option over Mohammad at center. Stick with the same lineup but have Horry come in earlier for Mohammad.

whottt
06-09-2005, 02:54 AM
The last time we played them they beat us..

The last time we beat them we nearly choked a huge lead because we tried to play half court inside out with them in the 4th...

And because Billups went off on us and Prince killed us with garbage...

The Pistons are built to destroy our typical half court offense...when TimVP said they were built to beat the Spurs...he was talking about the Spurs team that did that...the old Spurs

They most definitely are not built to beat us with Manu, Barry and Parker playing their dizzying perimeter game they played early in the season and when Duncan was injured late.

I don't want to see Duncan getting the ball in the 4th if the Pistons are running their set D, I want it going through Manu, Parker, and Barry on the perimeter...running it through Duncan with Sheed and Wallace in the paint...that's a disaster in the making if you ask me. Tim is going to turn it over...

The only reason we beat them that one time this season was because Barry came in ice cold off the bench and nailed two clutch FT's when the rest of the team was choking them...

Sense
06-09-2005, 03:00 AM
The last time we played them they beat us..

The last time we beat them we nearly choked a huge lead because we tried to play half court inside out with them in the 4th...

And because Billups went off on us and Prince killed us with garbage...

The Pistons are built to destroy our typical half court offense...when TimVP said they were built to beat the Spurs...he was talking about the Spurs team that did that...the old Spurs

They most definitely are not built to beat us with Manu, Barry and Parker playing their dizzying perimeter game they played early in the season and when Duncan was injured late.

I don't want to see Duncan getting the ball in the 4th if the Pistons are running their set D, I want it going through Manu, Parker, and Barry on the perimeter...running it through Duncan with Sheed and Wallace in the paint...that's a disaster in the making if you ask me. Tim is going to turn it over...

The only reason we beat them that one time this season was because Barry came in ice cold off the bench and nailed two clutch FT's when the rest of the team was choking them...

Yeah they beat us last game, btw... I noticed it was a really close game until the end..without the best player in the NBA....

Yeah we almost choked on a 21 point lead in SA the game before that..but do you really think that will happen again?

That's why that game was controlled till the end, they tried to avoid it and I'm guessing they will try to avoid it again aswell.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 03:05 AM
"I'd do him and I'm straight" Are you sure you are straight? It sounds pretty bad to me. I would not be showing that on my post if I were you.

whottt
06-09-2005, 03:09 AM
Yeah they beat us last game, btw... I noticed it was a really close game until the end..without the best player in the NBA....

And you know why it was as close as it was without Duncan? Because we didn't have the option of getting conservative with Duncan in the 4th...we had to use our perimeter game...just like we did when we built that big lead on them in the first game...

Yeah we almost choked on a 21 point lead in SA the game before that..but do you really think that will happen again?

If we get conservative it WILL happen again...and not only will it happen...but we won't win this series.

That's why that game was controlled till the end, they tried to avoid it and I'm guessing they will try to avoid it again aswell.

The Pistons are better at a conservative half court game than we are now...maybe not on defense...but on offense they definitely have the edge in that type of game because they will attack from 3 different angles...we'll pretty much be attacking with Duncan. Every team in the NBA knows how to disrupt that offense when they know it is coming. Wallce squared will destroy it.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 03:14 AM
The pistons have the edge on defense. Spurs will have to force turnovers to get easy fastbreak opportunities that will give them the edge on offense. In a half court set Detroit wins.

whottt
06-09-2005, 03:29 AM
The pistons have the edge on defense.

You keep making this statement and I can only conclude that the reason you keep making it is because you are a Mav fan and have never seen any semblance of defense...

PPG Allowed - Spurs
FG% Allowed - Spurs
Assits PG Allowed - Spurs
Turnovers forced per game - Spurs
Turnovers made per game - Spurs
Defensive Rebounds per game - Spurs
Steals per game - Spurs
Blocks per game - Spurs

All NBA defenders - Spurs

Care to explain why you keep making that statement?

The only things that count in the Pistons favor...

3pt PCT

They have the DPOY...guess what? We had the guy that came in second...and he's not the guy on our team that has made 8 consecutive all 1ST NBA defensive teams.

Just give me your logic in continually making that statement with zilch to back it up...otherwise I am just going to consider you a typical Mavs fan that does not know D.

We were #1 in PPG allowed...even with Duncan missing substantial PT...

We did this in the conference with the top 3 scoring teams in the NBA...

Gimme something to show me why you keep making that statement. There is nothing to back it up...at worst we are their equal.

Sense
06-09-2005, 03:33 AM
"I'd do him and I'm straight" Are you sure you are straight? It sounds pretty bad to me. I would not be showing that on my post if I were you.

Are you stupid? Obviously it's a fucking joke, I've talked about this before... the last thing you want to do is try to "insult" me about it.

And I wouldn't give a shit what anyone thought about it... it shows that I have respect for the man in the long run..

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 03:35 AM
The same team last year who the Lakers scored at will at against the Pistons were able to shut down. Many pistons games this year were lack of interest games that shouldn't mean much. When it comes to the playoffs the pistons have proven to defend when it really counts. The spurs try harder on defense during the season. Phoenix scored 103 points a game against San Antonio and the Lakers also scored alot last year. You don't remember how good this Detroit defense can be. They still haven't reached their peak but it could happen in the finals.

Sense
06-09-2005, 03:38 AM
And you know why it was as close as it was without Duncan? Because we didn't have the option of getting conservative with Duncan in the 4th...we had to use our perimeter game...just like we did when we built that big lead on them in the first game...

If we get conservative it WILL happen again...and not only will it happen...but we won't win this series.

The Pistons are better at a conservative half court game than we are now...maybe not on defense...but on offense they definitely have the edge in that type of game because they will attack from 3 different angles...we'll pretty much be attacking with Duncan. Every team in the NBA knows how to disrupt that offense when they know it is coming. Wallce squared will destroy it.

-Duncan did struggle in the first game, but I believe it was only for the first half.. I mean the boy had an 18 and 18 game..

-What makes you think the Spurs won't get conservative in the FINALS? Don't you know this Spurs team? It's the Finals.. you have to keep that in your head..

-The problem is not that the detroit pistons have a way to attack on offense...it's our approach to their offense... will our defense come out? We haven't been able to play against half court teams in the whole playoffs... we had to beat them at their own game and we did.. I don't think they are the better offensive team because of that, but it will definately be a wakeup call for the Spurs when they have to realize we have to play the old "D".

On these types of games, Rasheed will not end up giving his team a win... due to Duncan, because Duncan's gonna carry his..he's been here before and Rasheed hasn't been on a series where he has to face a 2 time Finals MVP..

Sense
06-09-2005, 03:39 AM
The same team last year who the Lakers scored at will at against the Pistons were able to shut down. Many pistons games this year were lack of interest games that shouldn't mean much. When it comes to the playoffs the pistons have proven to defend when it really counts. The spurs try harder on defense during the season. Phoenix scored 103 points a game against San Antonio and the Lakers also scored alot last year. You don't remember how good this Detroit defense can be. They still haven't reached their peak but it could happen in the finals.

Let me put it simple..

Spurs Defense>Detroit Defense

I hope you understand like this..

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 03:40 AM
Are you stupid? Obviously it's a fucking joke, I've talked about this before... the last thing you want to do is try to "insult" me about it.

And I wouldn't give a shit what anyone thought about it... it shows that I have respect for the man in the long run..
I guess I missed that joke since it was some lame humor. I also heard you got kicked off before because of acting bad. All that I know is I would be embarrassed with that written on my post.

Sense
06-09-2005, 03:43 AM
I guess I missed that joke since it was some lame humor. I also heard you got kicked off before because of acting bad. All that I know is I would be embarrassed with that written on my post.

lame humor? Actually it's funny to spurs fans, if you don't see the humor in it what makes you think I'm serious?

You heard I got kicked off? Yeah I did....so what's your point? My point is I'm still here, and I can tell you no to try to insult me.

And I really don't care if you would be embarrased with that written on your signature...

I would be embarrassed of having a Mavericks Avatar..

Do you see my point?

AFE7FATMAN
06-09-2005, 03:44 AM
The Spurs can run Detroit to death. If the Spurs get into exchanging baskets and a half court set than it is Bye Bye Spurs.

Sense
06-09-2005, 03:47 AM
The Spurs can run Detroit to death. If the Spurs get into exchanging baskets and a half court set than it is Bye Bye Spurs.

I really can't believe most spurs fans think that running is what the Spurs should do to win.

Have you guys forgotten about the D that got them there?

Please don't give them the offense title because if they try this they will lose.

I really think the Spurs are the better half court team and they have proved it against this team.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 03:49 AM
lame humor? Actually it's funny to spurs fans, if you don't see the humor in it what makes you think I'm serious?

You heard I got kicked off? Yeah I did....so what's your point? My point is I'm still here, and I can tell you no to try to insult me.

And I really don't care if you would be embarrased with that written on your signature...

I would be embarrassed of having a Mavericks Avatar..

Do you see my point?
I see that you are a big time homer and can't give the pistons any credit for anything. They only won the championship last year. I think the spurs are better on offense so it will be an interesting series. People have complained about you insulting not just me but other people. If you could just calm down and give other people on this forum some respect you wouldn't have gotten kicked off.

Sense
06-09-2005, 03:53 AM
I see that you are a big time homer and can't give the pistons any credit for anything. They only won the championship last year. I think the spurs are better on offense so it will be an interesting series. People have complained about you insulting not just me but other people. If you could just calm down and give other people on this forum some respect you wouldn't have gotten kicked off.

1. How am I a Homer? Don't tell me I don't give credit to the Pistons because I do.. I however don't give credit to the Mavs..and that pisses you off.

2. I know they won a championship last year, but I don't believe they got the best matchup in the finals... they deserve it..but I would've loved for them to face the better team in the finals... because I always wondered, "what if?".

3. You think the Spurs are better on offense because they just beat the suns are their game, and the sonics... who cares, that didn't get them to where they have been all the time.. a championship contender.. it's the defense idiot..learn it. Atleast your Mavs tried this year.

4. As far as I know I got another chance... I wouldn't mind getting kicked off if people voted me off.. but I haven't seen that, the only people I insult are the trolls that come to this forum, and the idiots that try to insult me, the spurs, or the fans.

5. I know I got kicked off, and I apologized to Kori, if you would've been on the Spurs bandwagon earlier you would've seen in what kind of situation I was.

I suggest you don't try to point me out of the crowd by claiming I insult everyone.

whottt
06-09-2005, 03:56 AM

This is much better...unfortunately...you still don't have much to back up your claims...

LA scored 88 PPG("at will") against us last season in the playoffs...

They scored 81.8 PPG against the Pistons...

A whopping 7 PPG difference...

Do ya think the Second Leading scorer in NBA history, being injured might have had just a leeeeeeettle bit to do with that 6.2 point difference? Even at his old age?

The much maligned Rasho held Shaq to 22PPG...he averaged 26 PPG against the Pistons..and they are the Shaq stoppers?

As for these playoffs..lmao..The freaking Nuggets averaged almost as many PPG as the Heat...the best offensive team the Pistons have played...and the Nuggets are the worst offensive team we have played...

The Suns are pretty tough to stop BTW...in case you didn't notice.

What should scare the hell out of the rest of the NBA is that we beat them with our offense...without really fighting much on D.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 03:57 AM
There are people on this forum that don't agree with me but don't follow with comments like idiot, moron, and etc. I wish you could learn from that.

Sense
06-09-2005, 04:01 AM
There are people on this forum that don't agree with me but don't follow with comments like idiot, moron, and etc. I wish you could learn from that.

I wish you wouldn't be an idiot so you would understand.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 04:10 AM
This is much better...unfortunately...you still don't have much to back up your claims...

LA scored 88 PPG("at will") against us last season in the playoffs...

They scored 81.8 PPG against the Pistons...

A whopping 7 PPG difference...

Do ya think the Second Leading scorer in NBA history, being injured might have had just a leeeeeeettle bit to do with that 6.2 point difference? Even at his old age?

The much maligned Rasho held Shaq to 22PPG...he averaged 26 PPG against the Pistons..and they are the Shaq stoppers?

As for these playoffs..lmao..The freaking Nuggets averaged almost as many PPG as the Heat...the best offensive team the Pistons have played...and the Nuggets are the worst offensive team we have played...

The Suns are pretty tough to stop BTW...in case you didn't notice.

What should scare the hell out of the rest of the NBA is that we beat them with our offense...without really fighting much on D.
There isn't much difference in the defenses but I think Detroit has more muscle and length to follow their defense. I could see teams score alot against San Antonio despite their tenacious defense but Detroit can beat you in a different way. Rasheed and Ben Wallace are 2 of some of the top defensive big men in the league. Mohammad is not quite there.

Sense
06-09-2005, 04:13 AM
There isn't much difference in the defenses but I think Detroit has more muscle and length to follow their defense. I could see teams score alot against San Antonio despite their tenacious defense but Detroit can beat you in a different way. Rasheed and Ben Wallace are 2 of some of the top defensive big men in the league. Mohammad is not quite there.

Do you remember that nazr got traded from the knicks? I'd say it's pretty hard to adjust to pop's style of play when you come from such a bad team.

As far as I know, the Spurs have bowen and Duncan...2 of the 5 best defenders in the league.

If San Antonio is willing to let other teams score, as long as they get the win...they will, who cares about the ppg avereged against them, the win is the only thing that matters.

You also underestimate Rasho Nesterovic...

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 04:18 AM
Rasho Nesterovic. Come on. I give you credit for Bowen and Duncan being great defenders but Rasho is too slow to be a great defender. Duncan has made every center look good because he takes away their defiencies on defense. Nesterovic won't be playing so it will depend on Horry and Mohammad.

jochhejaam
06-09-2005, 06:39 AM
who is gonna defend Duncan??

Ive yet to hear.

Ben Wallace is a joke one on one defensively.

This just goes to show you that thousands of posts and intelligence don't necessarily have anything in common. :rolleyes

jochhejaam
06-09-2005, 06:43 AM
Bad thing about Rasheed is dealing with hime defensively. I'm guessing Hory will be on him since Rasheed can knock down the 3. The good thing is he'll be on Horry at the other end of the court.

Rasheed will not be guarding Horry. Horry's not really much of a threat and he will probably be guarded by tay. Rasheed will be guarding Tim for the most part.

ginobme
06-09-2005, 07:05 AM
They are going to clog the middle of the lane just like everyone tries to do against us and make us a jump shooting team. The counter to that is simple, one, make your jump shots or two, feed Duncan down low enough that they have to double team. If they double, then the swing passes, and slashing to the lane will be there. So basically if we play Spurs basketball, we'll be alright.

spurster
06-09-2005, 08:16 AM
On offense, the Spurs need to push the ball. In the half-court, the Spurs need to hit perimeter shots to open up the lane.

On defense, Bowen needs to limit Rip, and the Spurs need to limit offensive boards.

Sense
06-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Rasho Nesterovic. Come on. I give you credit for Bowen and Duncan being great defenders but Rasho is too slow to be a great defender. Duncan has made every center look good because he takes away their defiencies on defense. Nesterovic won't be playing so it will depend on Horry and Mohammad.

Rasho started most of the season and by that time I remember being better than the Mavericks... So you have to give the man credit if he also was part of the own the spurs gave on the mavericks early in the series.

We've been using the big man alot and he has been effective against half court teams...heck he actually played decent in the regular season series against PHX.

You really underestimate the guy that could've been a part of a championship run last year.

Also I didn't know you had to be fast to be a defender... much less against detroit.

You don't know your shit..plain and simple.

CosmicCowboy
06-09-2005, 09:22 AM
We've got two great teams going head to head here...both are confident and both believe in their game plan.

Detroit apparently thinks they can play Tim duncan straight up...and they may be right if Sheed doesn't get in foul trouble...he moves his feet well and uses his quick long arms to harrass Tim...and has had success over his career in forcing Tim to put the ball on the floor which is the weakest part of his game...Big Ben is quick on help defense if Tim gets the first step on Sheed...

If Tim is patient and plays smart to get Sheed in foul trouble then the dynamics change dramatically...Sheed plays emotionally and streaky...if he gets rattled by the refs it really changes his game...

I don't think Detroit is gonna start out packing the lanes to stop Tony and Manu...I think the defense will give a couple of steps but they are gonna make them prove they can drive before they adjust...Our backcourt needs to come out guns blazing and drive agressively...free throws will be critical...Big Ben is a great shot blocker and knows it...but Tony and Manu are both very unorthodox going to the rim...They need to sucker BWallace into a couple of quick fouls and then attack relentlessly...make Detroit make the adjustments...but hopefully hold home court serve for the first two before they do...If they fuck around and drop a game at the SBC it will be brutal going to Detroit for the next three...

Once they inevitably start packing the driving lanes and start doubling Tim it will get ugly...The series will hinge on the Spurs knocking down perimeter shots and making their free throws...the best game plan in the world won't change that...

nkdlunch
06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
We've beaten Suns at their own game, we'll beat Detroit at their own game. We need to shut them down like never before. Shut down 'Sheed, Hamilton, Billups in that order. That's it, who else is gonna score for them?

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Rasho started most of the season and by that time I remember being better than the Mavericks... So you have to give the man credit if he also was part of the own the spurs gave on the mavericks early in the series.

We've been using the big man alot and he has been effective against half court teams...heck he actually played decent in the regular season series against PHX.

You really underestimate the guy that could've been a part of a championship run last year.

Also I didn't know you had to be fast to be a defender... much less against detroit.

You don't know your shit..plain and simple.
Pop likes Mohammad more and would use him over Rasho. I could see usage for Rasho against Miami but Ben Wallace is not a good matchup for him. On one end Ben will make Rasho have to get back. On the other end Rasho isn't a scoring threat so Ben Wallace would float off him to contest other shots. For this reason I don't see Rasho getting any time or very little time.

Sense
06-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Pop likes Mohammad more and would use him over Rasho. I could see usage for Rasho against Miami but Ben Wallace is not a good matchup for him. On one end Ben will make Rasho have to get back. On the other end Rasho isn't a scoring threat so Ben Wallace would float off him to contest other shots. For this reason I don't see Rasho getting any time or very little time.

I doubt Pop likes Mohammad over Rasho, he probably did in the PLAYOFFS... simply because it worked, but how is Ben Wallace a mismatch on Rasho?

They would just simply cancel each other out period... Why would Ben ignore Rasho if he's on him? hahahah please..

Mohammed to me is lighter and weaker than Ben... so you will see more of Rasho in the series...

nkdlunch
06-09-2005, 10:40 AM
so you will see more of Rasho in the series...

I agree, Ben doesn't like to come out of the paint too far, and Rasho can shoot the midrange. Pop will at least try this matchup.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Beating the Pistons means staying aggressive. The Pistons have a good starting five but when they have to turn to their bench things don't look so good. So if the Spurs attack the hoop and get any of them in early foul trouble then things start looking much better for the Spurs. Tim has to use his footwork and skills to get one or both of the Wallaces in trouble early. If Ben has to sit then Parker and Gino will be able to get to the rim much easier. And if Rasheed sits then life becomes a lot easier for the Spurs defensively because they don't have to park one of their big men out on the three point line. Granted that's easier said than done but if the Pistons are going to show Tim one on one that has to be where you attack them first. Failing that, Parker has a huge speed advantage over Billups and should be able to exploit that somehow. Alot depends on who the Pistons have on Manu. If it's Hamilton then Manu should go to the hoop everytime he touches the ball, tiring Rip a little and drawing fouls, which is really his strong suit. If it's Prince I still think Ginobili has the speed to get past him, but Prince is still a good perimeter defender. Look for Horry to get a lot of minutes drawing his man out of the paint with his shooting ability.

Defensively Billups and Prince pose good post up threats so Nazr is going to have a lot of pressure to rotate over to help and still get back to cover Ben Wallace on the boards, but if he brings his best hustle I think he can do a passable job. And Bruce just has to be his usual Rash of himself on Hamilton. He won't shut him down but if he'll make him work his ass off. Tim needs to force Rasheed out to the perimeter and turn him into a jump shooter. He can hit the three but he really only gets hot in a game if he can do a little dirty work in the paint to get into his rhythm first. If he starts with the jump shooting he's much less of a threat to the Spurs.

Other than that the Spurs just have to outscore, out rebound, and out defend the Pistons. Should be a good game.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 11:14 AM
I think in the spotlight of the Finals, in falling all over themselves to applaud the Pistons' team defense (which I agree is exceptional), many have forgotten just how good this Spurs team is defensively.

The idea that Rasho Nesterovic is some mediocre defender is laughable -- Rasho does it quietly, maintaining exceptional position in the post and changing shots at the rim. He's not a rebounding monster, and he's never going to fare too well if asked to play one-on-one defense in space (though, at one point during the Phoenix series, he stepped out into space and forced Nash to pass the ball), but the Spurs defense doesn't often ask him to do those things. Rasho should play in this series and can make a difference.

Personally, though, I think Horry may end up seeing another increase in his minutes, because he can create a better matchup for Tim on the block or take Detroit out of some of what they want to do. If the Spurs play Duncan-Horry-Bowen-Manu-Parker, the Pistons almost have to use one of the Wallaces on Horry. If it's Rasheed, Tim gets, IMO a more favorable one-on-one matchup with Big Ben; if it's Ben, the Spurs can force a shot blocker out of the lane or cause the Pistons to scramble on the defensive end to stay with shooters. It becomes an even bigger problem if the Spurs go smaller or more athletic with that group. If you can match Duncan-Horry-Brown-Manu-Parker, I think you ensure that the Pistons have to put one of the Wallaces on Horry, since I don't imagine that Larry wants Rasheed chasing around slashers on the perimeter -- with Bowen on the floor, Rasheed could, I suppose, take Bowen and leave Prince to defend Horry.

Ultimately, I think this series will be about matchups and who can play the chess game the best. I would agree that the Spurs help their chances by pushing the ball when they have opportunities to get easy points in transition. But I don't think the Spurs defense is going to be a liability in the half-court.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I agree with Whott that the Spurs need to worry about stopping Billups and Prince. I could see Pop moving Bowen around to cover whoever has the hot hand. The Pistons really have 4 starters capable of scoring 25 on any given night so the Spurs won't be able to focus on only one or two scoring threats.

I heard Larry Brown on the radio saying that the Pistons are going to allow Tim to get his, but their focus is going to be on stopping everyone else. I think Tim can abuse anyone in the league one-on-one. I do know though, as Aggie mentioned, that Rasheed always tends to play Tim tough. I think the Pistons bigs will have foul problems trying to stop Tim one on one.

Our bench is going to have to play big. We're going to need significant contributions from Horry and Big Dog and something positive out of Barry. Even though it doesn't seem likely I still foresee something big (in a good way) out of Barry in this series. . .just a feeling. :SPAM

Anyway, this should be a great series. I'm pumped. Anyone poo-pooing this as a boring matchup is not a true fan of NBA basketball.

Spurs in 6.

picnroll
06-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Spurs should take away what the Pistons do best and force them to go to what they're not best at. They should take away the shots off screens and post ups. Try to force the Pistons to rely on long range shooting as they're not a good long range shooting team, particualrly if those long range shots can be contested. Those long range shots can lead to long rebounds feeding the break.

Pistons offense is not quick hitting, taking time to free shooters running screens or posting up by backing down players. Pressure the ball being brought upcourt to take time off the clock so there's less time to run the offense.

Nazr has to be more aggressive stepping out on screens than he was against either Seattle or Phoenix. He tended to want to stay in the paint. If he won't step out give Rasho more of his minutes.

If Devin's healthy give him a go. Wouldn't mind seeing Manu at PG with Brown and Bowen if Parker and Beno can't handle Billups.

Rebound at the defensive end.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 11:43 AM
Rasheed should matchup well to Tim. This will also let Ben Wallace to once again become a defensive force off the ball. He doesn't have Shaq to stop him from helping so Detroit's defense could be better in this series.

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Try to force the Pistons to rely on long range shooting as they're not a good long range shooting team, particualrly if those long range shots can be contested. Those long range shots can lead to long rebounds feeding the break.
Detroit is a decent 3 point shooting team. Billups, Prince, and R. Wallace can all hit the 3. You want Detroit to try to beat you off the dribble and not let them get open shots. They are weak at penetrating and rely on screens for Hamilton.

bdubya
06-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Great thread; lots of very solid chess-game analysis, but the thing is, this series will have more in common with the Battle of the Bulge than with Kasparov v. Fisher. Muscling your way to the rebounds, grabbing loose balls and being a quarter-step quicker to the key spots on the floor will have as much to do with it as the chess game. If the Spurs want the trophy back, they're going to have to outwork the Pistons in the trenches, possession by possession.

That said, if you guys can get out in transition a lot, you'll be off to a good start.

boutons
06-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Spurs beat Pistons easily in 3G% for the 05 playoffs:

T50 Player 3FGM 3FGA 3FG%
==================================================
14. Manu Ginobili 30 65 .462
16. Brent Barry 22 50 .440
18. Robert Horry 23 54 .426
19. Bruce Bowen 16 38 .421
91 207 .439

23. Tayshaun Prince 21 51 .412
34. Chauncey Billups 33 89 .371
43. Rasheed Wallace 24 69 .348
78 209 .373

mavsfan1000
06-09-2005, 12:24 PM
The spurs also played the suns and more offensive minded teams while Detroit is playing very tough defensive minded teams like Indiana and Miami.
Don't expect too many open 3's because LB won't double team Duncan.

bigbendbruisebrother
06-09-2005, 12:54 PM
LB won't double team Duncan.

Ooh, I'd like to see a vBookie on that.

CosmicCowboy
06-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Ooh, I'd like to see a vBookie on that.

no kidding...when they go down 2-0 Brown will adjust and clog the lanes and bring the double on Duncan...

picnroll
06-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Spurs shot better form outside all season. They have better shooters. Sheed is inconsistent. Prince is good from the corners, that's it. Billups is good but actually has been in a shooting slump in the playoffs which hopefully will continue. Hamilton is known to suck outside the line. You've tried to argue the Pistons' three point shooting in two threads and it's a losing argument. I rather live with somewhat contested threes from the top of the key than midrange curls off screen or post ups in the paint. If they're hot form outside you adjust but make them prove it.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Detroit is a decent 3 point shooting team. Billups, Prince, and R. Wallace can all hit the 3. You want Detroit to try to beat you off the dribble and not let them get open shots. They are weak at penetrating and rely on screens for Hamilton.

Two things:

(1) whatever else you think of the Pistons three point shooting, the Spurs were number 1 in the NBA in fewest 3PT attempts per game this season (it was a difference of almost 3 attempts from SA (10.7) to the team that faced the next fewest 3 attempts, IND (13.1)). Take it for what you will, but to me, it says that the Spurs don't allow teams to get many looks from behind the arc. The few looks that teams are willing to take are quality looks, so the percentage against is a bit higher than you might think, but percentages are insignificant if you don't allow many attempts.

(2) If the Pistons are a decent 3 point shooting team, then the Spurs burn up the nets from distance. Over the course of the regular season, the Pistons had 4 guys who took an appreciable number of 3's. Their percentages were:

.426 Billups
.341 Prince
.318 R. Wallace
.305 Hamilton

Billups' percentage is better than any Spur's, but San Antonio has 6 guys who shot better from 3 than any Piston other than Billups -- and only Parker shot worse than any Piston from distance (among those with ample attempts):

.408 Udrih
.403 Bowen
.376 Ginobili
.372 Brown
.370 Horry
.357 Barry
.276 Parker

In these playoffs, the numbers are pretty much identical. The Pistons have 4 guys who shoot the 3, and only Prince is north of .400:

.412 Prince
.371 Billups
.348 R. Wallace
.321 Hamilton

The Spurs, meanwhile, have 4 guys who are shooting better than 40% from behind the arc -- all of them are shooting a better percentage than Prince:

.462 Ginobili
.440 Barry
.426 Horry
.421 Bowen

Both Parker (.206) and Udrih (.242) have struggled from distance in the playoffs, but all-in-all, the Spurs' three point shooting is better since the playoffs began.

I just don't see three point shooting as being a decisive factor in the overall run of this series.

picnroll
06-09-2005, 01:28 PM
I just don't see three point shooting as being a decisive factor in the overall run of this series.
It could be fairly decisive in that Detroit can't use the threat of the three to stretch the defense nearly as much as the Spurs can. Sheed is very spotty and if he's off the Spurs can collapse the defense from the top.

wildbill2u
06-09-2005, 01:49 PM

What do the Spurs have to do..

I think the starting fives may cancel each other out. Both are good and I don't see any glaring mismatches.

But the Piston's top five have to play a lot of minutes (in the 40s) so Pop's use of our superior bench to run their top guys into the ground may be the difference.