PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Odom to be traded in offseason?

djohn2oo8
05-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Also, from @Ken Berger (http://twitter.com/KBerg_CBS) on Lakers coming today, from source: "No one wants to trade Odom. But at a certain point, you don't have a choice." about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/CBSSportsNBA/statuses/66906922791616512)

http://twitter.com/#!/CBSSportsNBA

Killakobe81
05-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Hell no, besides Kobe Bynum and Fisher he the only one who has shown up this playoffs. trade Pau or bynum if you can get Howard.

djohn2oo8
05-07-2011, 01:09 PM
lol you're going to have to trade Bynum AND Pau for Dwight. Or Odom along with Bynum or Pau

DMC
05-07-2011, 01:10 PM
That would be suicide. Howard will not get you a ring. I would take Odom and Pau over Dwight every day of the week, twice Sundays.

DPG21920
05-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Howard would easily get them a ring. He would easily carry Kobe just like Shaq did. It would allow Kobe to excel in his natural role: 1.5 man.

Odom should fetch a nice player. He's a great player that shows just how much talent Kobe has around him. It's quite the luxury.

Spurtacus
05-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Odom was the Lakers most consistent and second best player behind Kobe this season. You only trade him if you can get a star PG (Deron, CP3) in return.

Axe Murderer
05-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Howard would easily get them a ring. He would easily carry Kobe just like Shaq did. It would allow Kobe to excel in his natural role: 1.5 man.

Odom should fetch a nice player. He's a great player that shows just how much talent Kobe has around him. It's quite the luxury.

http://www.wildherps.com/images/herps/standard/09081003PD_rattler.jpg

ElNono
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
So, the guy's basis for writing that is none... :lol

I'm gonna tweet "No one wants to trade Kobe. But at a certain point, you don't have a choice." :lol

ChuckD
05-07-2011, 01:53 PM

If Howard can't get out of the first round with his current perimeter cast, he has NO chance to ring with the Laker aging perimeter detritus. Teams will just do what they did to Orlando; let Howard get his and blanket the perimeter.

Spurtacus
05-07-2011, 01:55 PM
If Howard can't get out of the first round with his current perimeter cast, he has NO chance to ring with the Laker aging perimeter detritus. Teams will just do what they did to Orlando; let Howard get his and blanket the perimeter.

Kobe > all Magic players not named Dwight Howard

lefty
05-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Keep Odom

Trade Gasol, free some $$$$ and bring Howard or someone who is tough enough to play at the 4 spot.

Or trade Bryant; that guy is a cancer

elemento
05-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Dick Jefferson for Lamar Odom

Do it RC !!

NewcastleKEG
Trading the 6th man?

OH WHOA

DPG21920

Kobe is much better than anyone Dwight has. Not even close. Don't let Kobe's failures cloud your judgment. Now, expectations for Kobe and how good he is can be adjusted to "real".

Kobe is a great player that had a shot to reach the false expectations Laker fans gave him. He is not Jordan or even Tim, but he is a phenomenal player. With Dwight, that would be scary.

lefty
The Lakers have no bench to begin with.

No way they trade odom

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 01:59 PM
He is not Jordan or even Tim

He ain't Jordan, yes. But, he has that tired old shit bag beat 5-4.

baseline bum
05-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Gasol to Orlando is laughable. Why would the Magic want him for a full rebuild? Bynum makes more sense, but he'd essentially have to OK the trade by agreeing to an extension with Orlando, since his contract is up at the same time as Howard's. Otherwise, why would Orlando trade for a lesser player who'll just walk at the same time too?

ChuckD
05-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Kobe > all Magic players not named Dwight Howard

Kobe is much better than anyone Dwight has. Not even close. Don't let Kobe's failures cloud your judgment. Now, expectations for Kobe and how good he is can be adjusted to "real".

Kobe is a great player that had a shot to reach the false expectations Laker fans gave him. He is not Jordan or even Tim, but he is a phenomenal player. With Dwight, that would be scary.

Kobe isn't that player any more. If he were, they wouldn't be looking at 0-3 with their present roster. His game has pretty much been reduced to three pointers, and shooting that turnaround from the pinch post area or the baseline. He can still score, but like Tim, he no longer demands the double team.

Dwight needs shooters, not post up guards who shoot 34% career from beyond the arc.

DPG21920
05-07-2011, 02:08 PM
I never denied Kobe has more rings than Tim, I said Tim has a better career. Two different things unless you admit that Horry is a better player than Kobe.

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I never denied Kobe has more rings than Tim

You can't. It's impossible.

DPG21920
05-07-2011, 02:11 PM
You can't deny LA has the original skunker either, but you do it.

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 02:16 PM
You can't deny LA has the original skunker either, but you do it.

I invented The Skunker. The Suns beat ya flat. I invented The Skunker, and I ain't givin' it up for money, marbles, nor chalk.

& thanks for taking me off your to ignore list.

tee, hee.

Spurtacus
05-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Kobe isn't that player any more. If he were, they wouldn't be looking at 0-3 with their present roster. His game has pretty much been reduced to three pointers, and shooting that turnaround from the pinch post area or the baseline. He can still score, but like Tim, he no longer demands the double team.

Dwight needs shooters, not post up guards who shoot 34% career from beyond the arc.

I agree but Kobe is still a step above any shooter Dwight has played with. He still has the catch and shoot and still is clutch in my opinion. Its not showing much in the Mavs series but Kobe still has some left in the tank.

DMC
05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Kobe and Dwight with assorted cast would not be Kobe Shaq with assorted cast. Shaq destroys Howard in his prime, not even close. Kobe isn't getting younger. Howard isn't getting better from the FT line. He's a liability to any team that doesn't have a solid second big. Howard needs to be part of a twin tower setup. Bynum aint it. Someone has to come off the bench.

The Lakers need a big PF who can handle the ball and shoot, and who plays defense outside of the flop. With him they need a legit center because Kobe cannot function with small ball. He's too obvious.

Spurtacus
05-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Kobe and Dwight with assorted cast would not be Kobe Shaq with assorted cast. Shaq destroys Howard in his prime, not even close. Kobe isn't getting younger. Howard isn't getting better from the FT line. He's a liability to any team that doesn't have a solid second big. Howard needs to be part of a twin tower setup.

Bynum would likely be dealt for Howard. Gasol and Odom would stay in LA. Howard/Gasol is a better combination then Bynum/Gasol.

However if the Lakers have to give up Bynum AND Odom for Howard...no they won't be contenders.

NewcastleKEG
05-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Honestly, unless Howard is traded to LA I dunno if he goes there. Why join an aging Kobe and constantly fight him?

Why wouldn't he join a Paul/Deron Williams instead?

DPG21920
The NBA isn't the same as it was with Shaq/Kobe. It's weaker. Dwight/Kobe is more than enough theoretically.

Dwight took a shit cast to the finals. His cast has gotten worse.

DMC
I agree but Kobe is still a step above any shooter Dwight has played with. He still has the catch and shoot and still is clutch in my opinion. Its not showing much in the Mavs series but Kobe still has some left in the tank.
You are talking about a 1st round exit to the Hawks. He needs more than a step above.

DMC
05-07-2011, 02:32 PM
The NBA isn't the same as it was with Shaq/Kobe. It's weaker. Dwight/Kobe is more than enough theoretically.

Dwight took a shit cast to the finals. His cast has gotten worse.

Either way, it's good to be having LA trade talks this early in the playoffs.

Spurtacus
05-07-2011, 02:32 PM
You are talking about a 1st round exit to the Hawks. He needs more than a step above.

Dwight was in the Finals two years ago. He hasn't even hit his prime yet.

This discussion is moot if Phil Jackson isn't back as the LA coach. No one will able able to handle the nutjob that is Kobe and Lakers will not win without Phil.

dbreiden83080
05-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Hell no, besides Kobe Bynum and Fisher he the only one who has shown up this playoffs. trade Pau or bynum if you can get Howard.

Magic won't trade Howard. They will do everything they can to convince him to stay past next year. Yeah trade him for Odom and some shitty draft picks. who cares Odom is not a big time player.. Better off getting nothing in return but taking the risk of getting Howard to stay.. Magic fans will boycott the arena if he is traded..

dbreiden83080
05-07-2011, 02:35 PM
He ain't Jordan, yes. But, he has that tired old shit bag beat 5-4.

Rob Horry has them all beat...

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Rob Horry has them all beat...

Fine. You take Horry.

I'm staying with:::

Kobe: 5

Duncan: 4

Spurtacus
05-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Fine. You take Horry.

I'm staying with:::

Kobe with Phil Jackson & Shaq/Gasol: 5

Kobe with no Phil Jackson and no Shaq/Gasol: 0

The Constant? Phil Jackson.

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Kobe with Phil Jackson & Shaq/Gasol: 5

Kobe with no Phil Jackson and no Shaq/Gasol: 0

The Constant? Phil Jackson.

Fine. You take that one.

I'm sticking with:::

Ashy Larry
05-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Lamar had a great game 3 ...... wouldn't trade him. Lakers just need to sure up that bench because they are getting nothing from The HoneyBees .......

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQoYJWCm4FSrms5y_XaqeE02B3bUH3u 3HySvlbs1xEP5dylIWSIw

peskypesky
05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Pippen 6
Kobe 5

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Pippen 6
Kobe 5

peskypesky
05-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Horry 7
Kobe 5

dunkman
05-07-2011, 04:00 PM

You can't compare Robins with Batmans . . .

davethedope
05-07-2011, 04:04 PM
All I know is the Lakers need to trade Fisher (again) while he still has some value.
I'd also trade Blake, Barnes, and Brown, and Gasol. Keep Bynum and Odom.

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 04:09 PM
All I know is the Lakers need to trade Fisher (again) while he still has some value.
I'd also trade Blake, Barnes, and Brown, and Gasol. Keep Bynum and Odom.

Unless there is a real time chasm that can't be healed with this Gasol business we should hold still and sustain this roster. I'd like to see a confirmation of the corpse before I'd turn it loose. Sure, adjustments can and should be made, but, nothing even close to major.

TheMACHINE
05-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Magic won't trade Howard. They will do everything they can to convince him to stay past next year. Yeah trade him for Odom and some shitty draft picks. who cares Odom is not a big time player.. Better off getting nothing in return but taking the risk of getting Howard to stay.. Magic fans will boycott the arena if he is traded..

Lol...you crazy if you think Orlando will take the risk of being the next cleveland. Orlando is gonna follow denvers strategy.

davethedope
05-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Unless there is a real time chasm that can't be healed with this Gasol business we should hold still and sustain this roster. I'd like to see a confirmation of the corpse before I'd turn it loose. Sure, adjustments can and should be made, but, nothing even close to major.

You want to keep the killer B's? They're nice trade bait. As for jobs that are safe, Kobe, Odom, Bynum, even though Bynum is such a gamble, it might be wise to drop him before his knee blows for good. Gasol and Fish, I don't know.
You don't want to keep bodies that are done around too long. Plus PJ's going.
The team might need a revamping for that reason alone.

Crytek
05-07-2011, 04:22 PM
So, the guy's basis for writing that is none... :lol

I'm gonna tweet "No one wants to trade Kobe. But at a certain point, you don't have a choice." :lol

In that case, you really don't have a choice. He has a no-trade clause in his contract.

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 04:27 PM
You want to keep the killer B's? They're nice trade bait. As for jobs that are safe, Kobe, Odom, Bynum, even though Bynum is such a gamble, it might be wise to drop him before his knee blows for good. Gasol and Fish, I don't know.
You don't want to keep bodies that are done around too long. Plus PJ's going.
The team might need a revamping for that reason alone.

A rebuild is going to take longer than postponing it a year. We're already set. Perhaps a new shuffle of playoff seeding, injuries to other teams, timing would be wisest. We can tinker with the bottom half of the roster, but, I still lament changing out Vuj.

baseline bum
05-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Lol...you crazy if you think Orlando will take the risk of being the next cleveland. Orlando is gonna follow denvers strategy.

How many young talented players does LA have to trade? Other than the one who'd have to ok the trade for it to be done? Orlando would be in the same situation New Jersey was in when they knew Carmelo wouldn't sign the extension and thus couldn't trade for him.

davethedope
05-07-2011, 04:32 PM
A rebuild is going to take longer than postponing it a year. We're already set. Perhaps a new shuffle of playoff seeding, injuries to other teams, timing would be wisest. We can tinker with the bottom half of the roster, but, I still lament changing out Vuj.

I'd probably trade out Artest as well. But I get what you're saying, really
the only two positions where you can upgrade is pg and sf. At the other
positions you're only going to get equal value or less. So, the Deron/CP3
argument makes sense, as for sf, who would be good?

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I'd probably trade out Artest as well. But I get what you're saying, really
the only two positions where you can upgrade is pg and sf. At the other
positions you're only going to get equal value or less. So, the Deron/CP3
argument makes sense, as for sf, who would be good?

We can't trade Artest without pissing off Odom. That was deal when those two signed together. They're a matched set.

It's delicate because you have Kobe chomping on the bit watching his biological clock ticking down. He's going to dictate this off season. & God help us if he isn't judicious.

They deserve (en masse) another shot.

lefty
05-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Steve Kerr: 5

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Steve Kerr: 5

Fine. You take that one.

I'm keeping:::

ChuckD
05-07-2011, 07:26 PM

The problem is that it's not a two man game.

Kobe >>>> any Orlando perimeter player

Orlando's perimeter cast >>>> LA's perimeter cast

Nathan89
05-07-2011, 07:40 PM
George Hill and Rj for LO. Lakerfan do you want this?

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 07:41 PM

A course not.

Nathan89
05-07-2011, 07:46 PM
A course not.

I know.:depressed

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 07:48 PM

Would you send Parker for Odom & Artest?

Nathan89
05-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Would you send Parker for Odom & Artest?

Artest means nothing to me. So that would be basically Parker for Odom and the answer to that is NO.

Killakobe81
05-07-2011, 08:00 PM
hell no do I trade Odom AND artest for Frenchy. Id rather trade artest for George Hill though but we would need a SF again ...Ariza?

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Artest means nothing to me. So that would be basically Parker for Odom and the answer to that is NO.

Well, I can't send Odom without his friend.

SpurOutofTownFan
05-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Lakers are in a predicament now - they are paying top dollar roster and have a horrible bench

Odom is the only good guy they have on the bench. Fisher is super old and the young guys are young

I would assume Kobe isn't going anywhere so they will keep retooling around him. They can get something Artest straight one on one with another who's looking for that kind of player and salary

Otherwise they need to either ship Pau or Bynum cause if they ship Odom they have no bench left.

In order to get Dwight, it isn't enough with just one of the bigs, they need to throw something else out there - Orland is not going to depart with their franchise player if they are going to be left out with their dicks on their hands and out of the postseason for years to come.

Realistically speaking, Dwight to LA is kinda a pipe dream. The conditions are not there unless something critical happens

dbreiden83080
05-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Denver got a lot for Melo and made him wait forever to leave. If Lakers want Howard, kiss Bynum and likely Gasol bye bye....

you got an almost 34 year old Kobe winning a title with Howard and that old supporting cast??

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 09:14 PM
Denver got a lot for Melo and made him wait forever to leave. If Lakers want Howard, kiss Bynum and likely Gasol bye bye....

you got an almost 34 year old Kobe winning a title with Howard and that old supporting cast??

Methinks you doth protest too much.

DJ Mbenga
05-07-2011, 10:18 PM
it will probably be bynum and odom. that way the magic can dump hedo on them and the lakers send the usual future first rounders so they wont have a first rounder until 2050. realistically the buss family will stick with the team since the new cba will limit movement, and it will be interesting if bench players stay or not. trash like barnes and brown have player options. if they opt out he can find some ring chasers that can contribute.

frodo
05-07-2011, 10:24 PM

no, they'd prefer DH or CP3 for LO + trashes imho

Venti Quattro
05-07-2011, 10:33 PM

lol grey spurfan trade idea

Nathan89
05-07-2011, 10:45 PM
lol grey spurfan trade idea

A course not.

In my mind the only chance Rj is traded is to the Cavs for Verejao. I know no one wants him. The Cavs are my last hope.

baseline bum
05-07-2011, 10:51 PM
In my mind the only chance Rj is traded is to the Cavs for Verejao. I know no one wants him. The Cavs are my last hope.

It's not a good hope, considering Jefferson is owed $5 million more than Sideshow Bob. Dick has the new Vin Baker contract.

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 10:53 PM
It's not a good hope, considering Jefferson is owed $5 million more than Sideshow Bob. Dick has the new Vin Baker contract.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThG7mYeu7oBRq_8v62IgAVq6x_8Zxn-A8pSVVIVqtOOWwTHdveCWWamQ (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://wwwsci.seastarchemicals.com/images/BASELINE_4755_34.jpg&imgrefurl=http://wwwsci.seastarchemicals.com/products.asp%3Fpg%3DBL17_MS&usg=__lr8yYipkdYXmXFJdU4eRxbV2lMk=&h=300&w=300&sz=13&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=MjuIrRue42ZDbM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbaseline%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26biw%3D 1259%26bih%3D878%26tbm%3Disch&ei=ahPGTY20DMv3gAeqqYTPBA)http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMxQPzTQg5soWiHXIV5qMD8HIXR-syxkdEYZ5x6JFviPZOcUX73moJxw (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://nuclearcat.co.uk/images/bum.jpg&imgrefurl=http://nuclearcat.co.uk/images/&usg=__klx39Cn9gb49kNfQ9wOMsT-VspY=&h=300&w=400&sz=48&hl=en&start=1&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=hOingGSPCH5OmM:&tbnh=93&tbnw=124&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbum%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2%26biw%3D1259% 26bih%3D878%26tbm%3Disch&ei=khPGTY-3LILKgQf0oZDNBA)

ducks
05-07-2011, 11:03 PM
the lakers have to decide what o they are running
phil jackson said he is done
all they running the triangle
if not they need a point guard

erikuff
05-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Am I the only one who is absolutely detested by the fact that the Lakers are looking to blow up their team after not going for a three-peat? It's not like they missed the playoffs, they had HCA and just choked. New CBA needs to set a hard cap to limit the coined term, Laker Trades.

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 11:25 PM
New CBA needs to set a hard cap to limit the coined term, Laker Trades.
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0qepqd6JJnjNAWKVK-LAsUwTQJFJjtSN8D7WZRDnKGgDf9QaNm3Nnl1A (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dreamstime.com/frightened-man-thumb11548709.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dreamstime.com/frightened-man-image11548709&usg=__ERwEMGa6iJybX2VEezoGa8YvtXU=&h=450&w=300&sz=42&hl=en&start=15&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=QKuEtlR7ksIDpM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=85&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfrightened%2Bman%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2% 26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D878%26tbm%3Disch&ei=IxvGTbXmGoXl0QHOlJGYCA)

erikuff
05-07-2011, 11:34 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0qepqd6JJnjNAWKVK-LAsUwTQJFJjtSN8D7WZRDnKGgDf9QaNm3Nnl1A (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dreamstime.com/frightened-man-thumb11548709.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dreamstime.com/frightened-man-image11548709&usg=__ERwEMGa6iJybX2VEezoGa8YvtXU=&h=450&w=300&sz=42&hl=en&start=15&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=QKuEtlR7ksIDpM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=85&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dfrightened%2Bman%26hl%3Den%26gbv%3D2% 26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D878%26tbm%3Disch&ei=IxvGTbXmGoXl0QHOlJGYCA)

woops. sorry. i meant they need to stop the lakers from trading entirely. :greedy

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 11:36 PM
woops. sorry. i meant they need to stop the lakers from trading entirely. :greedy

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrRTVSMRHunGuR6g2TaC-T7FtNMcwJZhl9s0xeJcSn5rIAxyuC8S87-2E (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brillianttv.co.uk/timmymallett/images/tranny-roof.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.brillianttv.co.uk/timmymallett/radio-trannyoxford.html&usg=__lLmoNvsODvRv8goaYyFhdEDwZRU=&h=1389&w=1052&sz=87&hl=en&start=3&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=3EpRow5yWSrbsM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djumping%2Boff%2Ba%2Broof%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DG%26gbv%3D2%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D878%26tbm%3D isch&ei=xB3GTbCvMsHY0QHjpbXDCA)

erikuff
05-07-2011, 11:47 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrRTVSMRHunGuR6g2TaC-T7FtNMcwJZhl9s0xeJcSn5rIAxyuC8S87-2E (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brillianttv.co.uk/timmymallett/images/tranny-roof.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.brillianttv.co.uk/timmymallett/radio-trannyoxford.html&usg=__lLmoNvsODvRv8goaYyFhdEDwZRU=&h=1389&w=1052&sz=87&hl=en&start=3&zoom=1&itbs=1&tbnid=3EpRow5yWSrbsM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=114&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djumping%2Boff%2Ba%2Broof%26hl%3Den%26 sa%3DG%26gbv%3D2%26biw%3D1259%26bih%3D878%26tbm%3D isch&ei=xB3GTbCvMsHY0QHjpbXDCA)
:toast

Giuseppe
05-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Well, I'm gonna hit the hay, fellows. Katie-girl made up my couch and we're gonna watch some "King of Queens" before the sand man takes us on into the shadows & black.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7a6RwpQDyqo/SEQx3Nxb87I/AAAAAAAAAiA/lewNvq6sehQ/s400/billy_crystal13.jpg

DJ Mbenga
05-08-2011, 01:28 AM
here is actually part of bergens article. its not even the summer and the speculation begins. bergen is actually a pretty good source, up there with worjirhwsky. he was on the melo thing before many people were.

Of the teams Howard is likely to consider when exercising his early-termination option after next season -- sources say the Lakers, Knicks and Nets are the strong favorites -- L.A. is the one with the most attractive trade assets. The massive contracts attached to the Lakers' most desirable players also puts them in the rare position of being able to absorb either Arenas or Turkoglu as a way to soften the blow for Orlando.
"Everybody knows that Dwight Howard wants to be a Laker," said a person familiar with the All-Star center's plans. "They're going to lose Dwight Howard for nothing. He's not staying there. Dwight Howard is going to be in the same mode as LeBron James."
So would the Magic, facing the reality of losing their franchise cornerstone and getting nothing in return, accept Gasol and Odom, Bynum and Odom, or even Bynum and Gasol as the centerpiece of a Howard trade?
"Probably," said a high-profile agent with a hand in past maneuverings for both teams.
The clincher, under current CBA rules that would govern any trades conducted before the deal expires July 1, would be assembling salaries in a way that would allow Orlando to get out from under their massive and ill-advised obligations to Turkloglu and/or Arenas. In all likelihood, the Lakers are the only team with the salaries and commensurate talent to pull it off.
If you're the Magic, staring at an uncertain future with limited flexibility to build around Howard, you would feel pretty good about getting one of the world's most skilled power forwards (Gasol), the only center in the league with the potential to rival Howard (Bynum, with an asterisk due to his history of knee injuries), or the league's best sixth man (Odom, who has the ability to be so much more as a starter). Any one of them would be a better asset than Cleveland (James), Toronto (Chris Bosh), Denver (Carmelo Anthony), or Utah (Deron Williams) got for its departing superstar. Two of them would be a haul of talent that Magic GM Otis Smith simply wouldn't be able to turn down.
As for the Lakers, blowing up a team that won the past two championships would take careful deliberation. Executive vice president Jim Buss has consistently quashed any notion of trading Bynum, and Gasol did deliver Bryant's fourth and fifth championship rings despite his abysmal showing in the Dallas series. And Odom?
"No one wants to trade Lamar Odom," said a person familiar with the Lakers' thinking. "But at a certain point, you don't have a choice. You've got to rebuild it."
Jerry Buss has built three Lakers dynasties; not one, three. This time, the stakes are higher than ever. He has Bryant's legacy to consider, as well as, in all likelihood, a new coach.
Would acquiring Howard be enough to breathe new life into Bryant's pursuit of tying, or perhaps surpassing Jordan's mark of six championships? It depends on the price and how the Lakers solve their point-guard dilemma in the process. And speaking of which, there are two solutions other than Howard that would provide the Lakers with a different path to the same goal: Williams and Chris Paul, two elite point guards whose immediate futures in New Jersey and New Orleans, respectively, are anything but settled.
The Nets are more focused on acquiring a top-tier talent to pair with Williams as they prepare for their move to Brooklyn in 2012, and Howard is most certainly at the top of their list. But would New Orleans, facing the same 2012 opt-out dilemma with Paul, be tempted by a Lakers package featuring one or two of the most skilled big men anywhere in the world? It would be a conversation starter, to say the least.

seems like his sources feel an la deal is realistic. that last part about a cp3 deal which would lead ma nigga br hornet to suicide is pure speculation.

DMC
05-08-2011, 01:51 AM
the lakers have to decide what o they are running
phil jackson said he is done
all they running the triangle
if not they need a point guard
Doesn't even rhyme.