PDA

View Full Version : Shhh

wunderkindepiphany
05-07-2011, 06:09 PM
For all of you all out there calling for Pop's head, just STFU. The man is a proven winner, he treats his players like grown men, puts together winning seasons and numerous playoff runs, gives back to the community, and is generally respected around the league. He doesn't owe you a damn thing, he does his job and does it well. You can't win them all and you can't put all of the owness on one person. We got beat by a better Grizz team and it is what it is. You don't blow it all up because we got beat in the first round. You examine what went wrong and adjust and our FO will do just that. There are teams that have been bottom-dwellers for years that would be happy to be in the position we are in. The Spurs will be back and will be strong, because of the character that Pop instills in his players and because of the foundation that was laid down by selfless men, like Tim and David Robinson. Notice that when McDyess was interviewed, he said he that the first-round exit hurt, but he wouldn't change a thing about where he ended up. He loved his stay in San Antonio because, apparently, he was treated with respect and given a chance to build upon something greater. THAT'S what the Spurs is all about. So take your lumps and move on.

Strike
05-07-2011, 06:40 PM
http://canitbesaturdaynow.com/images/fpics/190/1238993754704.jpg

wunderkindepiphany
05-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Why thank you sir.

dbestpro
05-07-2011, 07:29 PM
2nd place is no better than last place. There are only two results in the NBA. You either win it all or you don't.

So, what have you done for me lately?

silverblk mystix
05-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Pop needs to GTFO .....NOW!

wunderkindepiphany
05-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Haha you guys are cute with this talk. Keep it going on. Last is not the same as second, actually. In many respects, it is different.

Basketball Power
05-07-2011, 09:38 PM
let's just pretend Pop didn't luck into coaching Duncan and Drob

wunderkindepiphany
05-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Why pretend? Pop gives his players praise. There is no need for pretending.

ChuckD
05-07-2011, 09:50 PM
let's just pretend Pop didn't luck into coaching Duncan and Drob

He actually didn't. Dave (and Sean and AJ) asked him to save them from Mr. Arrogance in a Suit, Bob Hill, and he obliged.

rwb
05-07-2011, 10:09 PM
While I respect what you're saying and agree to a large extent. the reason most people including myself think it's time for Pop to go is because the man is simply not the mastermind he used to be. For the past couple of years he has seemed tired, uninterested and ready to retire. It's like he's just going through the motions. Every once in a while you'll see the old Pop kick in and it's exciting when it happens but then he goes back into hibernation and you can almost visualize him putting his clipboard down and pulling a blanket over his head while he naps on the sideline. No one can deny that Pop has been a kick-ass coach and the reason this franchise has been the success it has become, but even Jerry Sloan reached the point when he didn't want to do the job anymore. It just feels as though Pop can't admit that he's probably at the same point, but because he said he'd retire when Tim did I guess his stubborness means he will keep punching the clock until Duncan calls it quits. Unfortunately, it's unfair to Duncan to have a half-assed coach at the helm until then, and that's the bone of contention.

I have mad respect for Pop and what he's done, but the more he drags the team down with him on his way to retirement, the quicker I want him gone.

ChuckD
05-07-2011, 10:26 PM
He's not going anywhere until Tim either says so or retires. You people need to accept that, because it's a fact. It's like bitching because the Sun's yellow. That's not likely to change anytime soon, either.

GSH
05-07-2011, 10:34 PM
You know what I've realized this post-season, listening to the other coaches? I'm really, really sick of Pop's fucking interviews. It used to be kind of... not cute, not charming, but something. As in, "He may be an asshole, but he's OUR asshole." Like that.

Now? I'm really sick of listening to him. I didn't realize it so much, until I started listening to other coaches who really try to answer questions. And even when they are stupid questions, it turns out that there is no reason to talk to them like idiots. The other guys actually talk about how their strategy might change in the second half, or what adjustments they made as the game progressed. Something more than, "We made more baskets than them." Pop is starting to feel like an in-law who stays more than a couple of days. I've heard his act, and it's not fun anymore.

He would have to have some serious post-season success before I could get back to overlooking his nasty routine.

Edit: One more thing. The Griz were out in front of the Spurs' plays for the whole series. They were in the passing lanes. They knew where the next pass was going. If the game is a chess match (like Pop treats it) Lionel Hollins was one move ahead. I was at the one game the Spurs won in the series, and it was never so apparent that the coaching was part of the reason for the loss. I don't like saying it, but it's true.

Sean Cagney
05-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Thats great.......

Sean Cagney
05-07-2011, 10:39 PM
He's not going anywhere until Tim either says so or retires. You people need to accept that, because it's a fact. It's like bitching because the Sun's yellow. That's not likely to change anytime soon, either.

Hey the SUN can be called ORANGE TOO damnit :nope:rollin:rollin

TDMVPDPOY
05-07-2011, 11:25 PM
some of you clowns are still living in the past and his reputation of 4 rings...

at the end of the day its all about wat have you done for me lately

20beastie45
05-08-2011, 12:32 AM
http://canitbesaturdaynow.com/images/fpics/190/1238993754704.jpg

:lmao

++SaiNt TiAg0++
05-08-2011, 05:59 AM
2nd place is no better than last place. There are only two results in the NBA. You either win it all or you don't.

So, what have you done for me lately?

this right here

doesnt matter how you lose if your a loser your a loser and thats what pop has become comfortable with

TJastal
05-08-2011, 06:40 AM
You know what I've realized this post-season, listening to the other coaches? I'm really, really sick of Pop's fucking interviews. It used to be kind of... not cute, not charming, but something. As in, "He may be an asshole, but he's OUR asshole." Like that.

Now? I'm really sick of listening to him. I didn't realize it so much, until I started listening to other coaches who really try to answer questions. And even when they are stupid questions, it turns out that there is no reason to talk to them like idiots. The other guys actually talk about how their strategy might change in the second half, or what adjustments they made as the game progressed. Something more than, "We made more baskets than them." Pop is starting to feel like an in-law who stays more than a couple of days. I've heard his act, and it's not fun anymore.

He would have to have some serious post-season success before I could get back to overlooking his nasty routine.

Edit: One more thing. The Griz were out in front of the Spurs' plays for the whole series. They were in the passing lanes. They knew where the next pass was going. If the game is a chess match (like Pop treats it) Lionel Hollins was one move ahead. I was at the one game the Spurs won in the series, and it was never so apparent that the coaching was part of the reason for the loss. I don't like saying it, but it's true.

It took you this long to realize Pop is an asshole? Or if you will, "an asshole's asshole" ... lol

TJastal
05-08-2011, 06:51 AM
For all of you all out there calling for Pop's head, just STFU. The man is a proven winner, he treats his players like grown men, puts together winning seasons and numerous playoff runs, gives back to the community, and is generally respected around the league. He doesn't owe you a damn thing, he does his job and does it well. You can't win them all and you can't put all of the owness on one person. We got beat by a better Grizz team and it is what it is. You don't blow it all up because we got beat in the first round. You examine what went wrong and adjust and our FO will do just that. There are teams that have been bottom-dwellers for years that would be happy to be in the position we are in. The Spurs will be back and will be strong, because of the character that Pop instills in his players and because of the foundation that was laid down by selfless men, like Tim and David Robinson. Notice that when McDyess was interviewed, he said he that the first-round exit hurt, but he wouldn't change a thing about where he ended up. He loved his stay in San Antonio because, apparently, he was treated with respect and given a chance to build upon something greater. THAT'S what the Spurs is all about. So take your lumps and move on.

Here's the problem... for the past 4 years everybody but Pop has been examining "what went wrong"

Anyone with half a brain could see Matt Bonner was soft in 2008 and people (on this forum, including myself) called for his removal from the rotation (or the team preferably). Yet here we are 3 fucking years later and this soft ginger bitch is still in Pop's rotation.

ChuckD
05-08-2011, 11:51 AM
some of you clowns are still living in the past and his reputation of 4 rings...

at the end of the day its all about wat have you done for me lately

Actually, at the end of the day it's about who Tim wants as his coach. Continue your little "I hate Popovich" circle jerk, though. I'm sure it will accomplish your goals of getting him removed.

underdawg
05-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Actually, at the end of the day it's about who Tim wants as his coach. Continue your little "I hate Popovich" circle jerk, though. I'm sure it will accomplish your goals of getting him removed.

hopefully, the ownership group isn't that short sighted. The fact is the Spurs ticket sales have been declining in part to the economy and in part to the team's performance.

As fickle as San Antonio fans are (proof in the amount of bandwagon Lakers, Longhorn and Cowboys fans), the Spurs need to become successful enough again to maintain and improve ticket sales. Spurs haven't been in the top 10 for attendance in a while - like they were in 2001 thru 2007.

Even if the ownership group intends to sell the franchise at some point, they need it as healthy as possible by putting out a good product. There needs to be a change in the FO and that should include Pop. Duncan's not the same player as he was, but the effort's there. I'm not sure that's true about Pop.

itzsoweezee
05-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Here's a simply one word explanation for why Popovich is washed up: Bonner.

Solid D
05-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I think Pop is missing that senior assistant coach like Hank Egan (1994-2001) and P.J. Carlessimo (2002-2007). There was a different level of respect, age-wise and experience-wise, that Pop appeared to give to those guys.

wunderkindepiphany
05-09-2011, 12:33 AM
I think Pop is missing that senior assistant coach like Hank Egan (1994-2001) and P.J. Carlessimo (2002-2007). There was a different level of respect, age-wise and experience-wise, that Pop appeared to give to those guys.

This is smart, I hadnt thought about that. Good point.

wunderkindepiphany
05-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Its not like this ship is sinking as fast as most would like to make it. We just posted a 60-win season, gentlemen. No, the ultimate goal was not reached. But, you don't go about business by clearing the cupboard out. Thats not how anybody operates. Some adjustments need be made, yes, but pinning all of this on Popovich is unfair and it doesn't serve the team well to make him a scapegoat. We'll see how it goes, but its crazy to me that some of you SPURS FANS are dissing Pop like this. He's put rings on fingers, y'all. Don't discredit him, just because he worked with Tim Duncan. Any coach who had Tim Duncan would have built around him. The two have respect for each other and buy into the same methodology; it is the character of the Spurs that acts like glue, holding the team together. For a long time the Spurs have done things the "right way", playing tough defense, preaching team-dynamics, emphasizing efficiency and selfless play. We have gotten away from that, but that doesn't mean you start dismantling the FO. Its an embarassing exit, but we can learn from it. Thats what we'll do. Let critics say whatever they want to say about us being too old, our legacy ending, shadow setting on the days of glory, etc. I could give a tiny rats ass about that shit. I'm betting the guys in the locker-room don't buy into that hype

ElNono
05-09-2011, 12:51 AM
tl;dr

wunderkindepiphany
05-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Its a paragraph, man, its not particularly long. But, don't read it if you don't want to. Thanks for letting me know, though. I'm glad you cared enough to.

ShoogarBear
05-09-2011, 01:07 AM

Agreed. And this doesn't speak well for Budenholzer's potential as a head coach.

cantthinkofanything
05-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Its a paragraph, man, its not particularly long. But, don't read it if you don't want to. Thanks for letting me know, though. I'm glad you cared enough to.

No matter how many or how few words are in your posts, they seem to go on forever. I actually read the full OP and the other paragraph you wrote in the thread and I don't know what (or if) there was a point.

Take it from someone who has started his fair share of inane threads...you're not thread starting material.

wunderkindepiphany
05-09-2011, 05:43 PM
No matter how many or how few words are in your posts, they seem to go on forever. I actually read the full OP and the other paragraph you wrote in the thread and I don't know what (or if) there was a point.

Take it from someone who has started his fair share of inane threads...you're not thread starting material.

"Thread-starting material". Wow. Dude, I just write what I'm thinking. You can read it if you want, or not. So far, my thread has two pages. I post something up, try not to get in the way too much, insult anybody, (if I can help it) or veer off-topic. As for me not being good enough to start threads, well, if not, so be it. I'm not on here to compete. I'm just chatting.

For the record, the EXTREMELY DUMBED DOWN point of my OP is that Pop has given a lot to the community, we should treat him better.

ploto
05-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Actually, at the end of the day it's about who Tim wants as his coach.

Tim wants to win and must be sick of playing alongside big men who can't defend. He pretty much said so during the Memphis series when he admitted that he had to keep one eye on Randolph when he was guarding Gasol.

cantthinkofanything
05-10-2011, 12:03 PM
For the record, the EXTREMELY DUMBED DOWN point of my OP is that Pop has given a lot to the community, we should treat him better.

There. That's much better. I get it now.

I think everyone is more than willing to say "Thanks Pop for giving back". But giving to the community doesn't absolve him from the responsibilities of his job and also shouldn’t make him immune to criticism when he fails at it.

Horse
05-10-2011, 12:22 PM
While I respect what you're saying and agree to a large extent. the reason most people including myself think it's time for Pop to go is because the man is simply not the mastermind he used to be. For the past couple of years he has seemed tired, uninterested and ready to retire. It's like he's just going through the motions. Every once in a while you'll see the old Pop kick in and it's exciting when it happens but then he goes back into hibernation and you can almost visualize him putting his clipboard down and pulling a blanket over his head while he naps on the sideline. No one can deny that Pop has been a kick-ass coach and the reason this franchise has been the success it has become, but even Jerry Sloan reached the point when he didn't want to do the job anymore. It just feels as though Pop can't admit that he's probably at the same point, but because he said he'd retire when Tim did I guess his stubborness means he will keep punching the clock until Duncan calls it quits. Unfortunately, it's unfair to Duncan to have a half-assed coach at the helm until then, and that's the bone of contention.

I have mad respect for Pop and what he's done, but the more he drags the team down with him on his way to retirement, the quicker I want him gone.
Very well said. I remember 2009 we were down to the mavs by 5 I think with 3 or 4 min. left and Pop just started having Finley shoot 3 after 3. He has'nt been the same since. I will always love him for what he's done for our team. But everyone loses interest loses the team whatever. It just happens and it's happening.

ATXSPUR
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I had toast for breakfast. It was really good. I'm thinking enchiladas for lunch.

cantthinkofanything
05-10-2011, 12:34 PM
I had toast for breakfast. It was really good. I'm thinking enchiladas for lunch.

For the last few years, I haven't really kept up with Deadliest Catch but this season I've made a point to watch every episode. I'm really glad I did. I had forgotten what a good show it is.

Strike
05-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Its not like this ship is sinking as fast as most would like to make it. We just posted a 60-win season, gentlemen. No, the ultimate goal was not reached. But, you don't go about business by clearing the cupboard out. Thats not how anybody operates. Some adjustments need be made, yes, but pinning all of this on Popovich is unfair and it doesn't serve the team well to make him a scapegoat. We'll see how it goes, but its crazy to me that some of you SPURS FANS are dissing Pop like this. He's put rings on fingers, y'all. Don't discredit him, just because he worked with Tim Duncan. Any coach who had Tim Duncan would have built around him. The two have respect for each other and buy into the same methodology; it is the character of the Spurs that acts like glue, holding the team together. For a long time the Spurs have done things the "right way", playing tough defense, preaching team-dynamics, emphasizing efficiency and selfless play. We have gotten away from that, but that doesn't mean you start dismantling the FO. Its an embarassing exit, but we can learn from it. Thats what we'll do. Let critics say whatever they want to say about us being too old, our legacy ending, shadow setting on the days of glory, etc. I could give a tiny rats ass about that shit. I'm betting the guys in the locker-room don't buy into that hype

Plenty of teams have had great regular seasons employing the more offense, less defense, live/die by the 3 philosophy. How many have taken that philosophy all the way to a O'Brien trophy? I know that it isn't just luck that put 4 rings on Pop's hand. Great players don't win championships without great coaching. But to say that most of the blame for the last 4 years of failure (yes I'm a spoiled fan. Anything less that a title is a failure) isn't on Popovich's head is ludicrous.

The coach sets the rotations. The coach makes the substitutions. The coach makes the adjustments (or doesn't in some cases). Sometimes players don't execute, fine. Players have bad games, bad stretches or even bad seasons. But I feel like we've seen the same mistakes over the past 3 years and, truthfully, going back to 2006. Think about it. What has every championship Spurs team possessed that the non-championship teams usually lack? Lockdown defense and interior presence. Every time Popovich strays from the "defense first" mentality, the Spurs fall short. When defense has been the priority, they've (barring injuries) won more often not.

Popovich once again depending on proven playoff chokers (Bonner), players with confidence issues (Jefferson) and undersized "big" men (blair) is a part of why the Spurs not only were ousted early in the playoffs for the 3rd straight time, but also embarrassed for the 2nd straight year.

The thing that speaks volumes about Pop is that he is too pigheaded for his own good until he's backed in to the proverbial corner. We saw it in '09 with George Hill and again this year with Tiago Splitter. We've seen it for many years with his misplaced trust in Michael Finley and Matt Bonner. All year we were force-fed the same Bonner "corporate knowledge, he spreads the floor" gruel. But when push came to shove, and the Spurs were on the brink of another embarrassing playoff year, what does he do? He plays the rookie, Splitter, just like 2009 with George Hill.

The problem? Too little, too late. Nothing says "I'm an asshole" like sticking to your guns all year long, then throwing the undeveloped (in the NBA) rookie in to the playoff fire. And what happened? Splitter showed flashes of potential (Hill in '09) but ultimately ended up chasing his own tail due to lack of development with the players and within the system. Nothing has frustrated me more in the past few years more than Pop playing the role of Nero: fiddling while Rome burns.

Is Pop's head so far up his own ass that he really believes the way he's run the team the past 3-4 years will bring he and the players a 5th ring? Is he being forced to do what he can with the personnel he's given? Honestly, I think it's both. I do know that poor personnel decisions the past few years (Scola trade, Bonner's extension, Jefferson's deal) haven't made it easy. But his poor strategies, rotations and adjustments (or lack thereof) have made it that much worse.

Why do I think he needs to go? Look at the past 3 post-seasons. What he's doing just isn't working.

Solid D
05-10-2011, 06:01 PM
Agreed. And this doesn't speak well for Budenholzer's potential as a head coach.

Yep.

Aren't y'all confusing this place with Facebook, Twitter and the Free Quattro thread?