PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson's Comments

mavsfan1000
05-08-2011, 01:07 AM
I think they are ridiculous. Lakers win 2 straight championships and Magic Johnson is already calling for the team to be blown up the first year they are close to losing. He totally ignores how little help the bench gives them. Pau Gasol just got divorced. I think the Lakers are a tweak or 2 from being champions again. But I guess Magic Johnson disagrees despite all their success.

Findog
05-08-2011, 01:09 AM
The Laker fanbase has an unbelievable sense of entitlement. If they don't win a championship every single year, it's an outrage on the scale of 9/11. If Gasol really just got dumped by his fiancee, I can understand how he couldn't focus on his job.

monosylab1k
05-08-2011, 01:13 AM
The Laker fanbase has an unbelievable sense of entitlement. If they don't win a championship every single year, it's an outrage on the scale of 9/11.

:tu

it's where magic is coming from. in his world, his team is yawning and scratching their ass over being up 3-0 in the second round.

lefty
05-08-2011, 01:14 AM
The Laker fanbase has an unbelievable sense of entitlement. If they don't win a championship every single year, it's an outrage on the scale of 9/11. If Gasol really just got dumped by his fiancee, I can understand how he couldn't focus on his job.
Give me a break

Duncan's father passed away during the 2002 playoffs, but he still played like a man

Gasol is a pussy.

And regarding Magic's comments, they have high expectations considering all the titles the Lakers have won

Findog
05-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Give me a break

Duncan's father passed away during the 2002 playoffs, but he still played like a man

Gasol is a pussy.

And regarding Magic's comments, they have high expectations considering all the titles the Lakers have won

People handle stuff in different ways. Gerald Wallace played like a demon possessed after his dad died, whereas Josh Howard went into the dumps. Some people find temporary catharsis and salvation in being able to pour themselves into their jobs or a hobby to distract them from their pain, whereas other people find that they can't focus. Has nothing to do with being strong or soft.

My own job performance suffered after I went through a similar experience to Gasol losing his fiancee. I was distracted for months and couldn't focus. I had trouble getting out of bed and getting to work on time. When I was at work, I didn't feel the same sense of urgency to get tasks done. A lot of it is simply not having the mental and emotional energy to get stuff done. I didn't want to hang out with my friends and I couldn't focus at work. Maybe it is weakness, I don't know. For what he's getting paid, I can understand Laker fan anger at Gasol, but if the reports about his personal life are true, I guess all I can say is I...understand. I know what that feels like and how hard it is to focus and "snap out of it."

lefty
05-08-2011, 01:26 AM
People handle stuff in different ways. Gerald Wallace played like a demon possessed after his dad died, whereas Josh Howard went into the dumps. Some people find temporary catharsis and salvation in being able to pour themselves into their jobs or a hobby to distract them from their pain, whereas other people find that they can't focus. Has nothing to do with being strong or soft.

My own job performance suffered after I went through a similar experience to Gasol losing his fiancee. I was distracted for months and couldn't focus. I had trouble getting out of bed and getting to work on time. When I was at work, I didn't feel the same since of urgency to get tasks done. A lot of it is simply not having the mental and emotional energy to get stuff done. I didn't want to hang out with my friends and I couldn't focus at work. Maybe it is weakness, I don't know. For what he's getting paid, I can understand Laker fan anger at Gasol, but if the reports about his personal life are true, I guess all I can say is I...understand. I know what that feels like and how hard it is to focus and "snap out of it."
Don't get me wrong

I'm not saying being dumped by your fiancee is easy to deal with; we are all human after all, and I feel bad for Gasol

But IMHO, it'S even harder to lose one of your parents

However, As you say, different people, different ways to deal with different problems

DMC
05-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Where is the middle ground? They win 16 rings being pedantic about it, and many other teams have won none being apathetic about it. You cannot look at a 16 ring team with this recent success and say they are overreacting. Instead you should be saying "why isn't my team overreacting"?

True story.

Findog
05-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Don't get me wrong

I'm not saying being dumped by your fiancee is easy to deal with; we are all human after all, and I feel bad for Gasol

But IMHO, it'S even harder to lose one of your parents

However, As you say, different people, different ways to deal with different problems

Hard to compare bereavements, because the end of a relationship is a death in a way. And I think it depends on circumstances too: if you have a parent that was sick for a long time and in pain, you have probably been grieving that loss for a while and the actual death is a relief. I think it would be a much greater shock to the system if your dad suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack. Same thing with a relationship that had run its course and hadn't been good for awhile, as opposed to getting blindsided with a dumping when things seem well on the whole.

I think it really just depends on the circumstances of the trauma and the makeup of the person being forced to deal with it. In my own case, I feel like I have been to the end of the world and back. I'm STILL processing it and working through my feelings seven months later.

DJ Mbenga
05-08-2011, 01:31 AM
unfortunately magic sometimes struggles with his vocabluary. the more he elaborated when pressed by wilbon his definition of blow it up is different from ours. from my understanding blow it up is trade everyone and start from scratch. magic just wants a combo of the bigs to get traded to bring comparabe talent back in and go at again. i guess he means reload. unless a howard trade happens it is unlikely. kupchack's offesason will likely be praying brown and barnes opt out of their deals so he can find better shooters to provide spacing for the bigs.

DMC
05-08-2011, 01:37 AM
Magic just uses the word "had" a lot before verbs.

lefty
05-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Hard to compare bereavements, because the end of a relationship is a death in a way. And I think it depends on circumstances too: if you have a parent that was sick for a long time and in pain, you have probably been grieving that loss for a while and the actual death is a relief. I think it would be a much greater shock to the system if your dad suddenly dropped dead of a heart attack. Same thing with a relationship that had run its course and hadn't been good for awhile, as opposed to getting blindsided with a dumping when things seem well on the whole.

I think it really just depends on the circumstances of the trauma and the makeup of the person being forced to deal with it. In my own case, I feel like I have been to the end of the world and back. I'm STILL processing it and working through my feelings seven months later.

Great post.

But now I'm depressed; I'm gonna pop some Omega 3 pills

unfortunately magic sometimes struggles with his vocabluary. the more he elaborated when pressed by wilbon his definition of blow it up is different from ours. from my understanding blow it up is trade everyone and start from scratch. magic just wants a combo of the bigs to get traded to bring comparabe talent back in and go at again. i guess he means reload. unless a howard trade happens it is unlikely. kupchack's offesason will likely be praying brown and barnes opt out of their deals so he can find better shooters to provide spacing for the bigs.

No way; as Kramer said, you don't leave L.A; she's a seductress, she's a whore.

And what's with Magic's so so vocabulary? does he suffer from a disorder?
If not, was he really born in the U.S? Show me that birth certificate

Sean Cagney
05-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Give me a break

Gasol is a pussy.

Yeah Tim lost his dad and his mom and still went out all then! That is A G IMO! MAN that dude never ceased to amaze me.

ChumpDumper
05-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Magic says a lot of stupid shit while the team he partly owns is still playing.

cobbler
05-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Magic says a lot of stupid shit while the team he partly owns is still playing.

Except that he doesn't own any part of them anymore stupid shit.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/101018johnsonsellstosoonshiong.html

ChumpDumper
05-08-2011, 04:27 AM
Except that he doesn't own any part of them anymore stupid shit.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/101018johnsonsellstosoonshiong.htmlThanks. Forgot about the divestment. It's good to know he doesn't care that much about the Lakers anymore.

TDMVPDPOY
05-08-2011, 04:35 AM
didnt magic johnson sold his minority share in the lakers, so wtf does his comments is still relevance?

ChumpDumper
05-08-2011, 04:43 AM
didnt magic johnson sold his minority share in the lakers, so wtf does his comments is still relevance?He did, so now he can say what he really thinks, unfettered by obligation or concern for the team's performance this season. Pretty cool when you think about it.

endrity
05-08-2011, 05:46 AM
He's wrong. Lakers aren't that far away from the title, they still have the most amazing frontline in the whole league.

What they have to do I think is play more like Game 3, where Kobe starts to release his grip on the offense. I think Bynum is already polished enough to be the centerpiece of the offense for long stretches.

They have to do something about the PG position though, right now they are getting nothing from Fisher (and now he goes on to score a bunch of 3s tonight).

Giuseppe
05-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Thanks. Forgot about the divestment. It's good to know he doesn't care that much about the Lakers anymore.

Cobby is right. Yer a stupid shit.

silverblk mystix
05-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Well, one way to look at it ...is that the lakers organization is entitled and spoiled,etc...and that Magic is talking out his ass....and if you subscribe to this-I guess it would seem as if they are ungrateful and spoiled.

Another way to look at it...is that it is all about winning and "what have you done for me lately"....and if you subscribe to this- I guess this is how you never settle for mediocrity and are always in contention. The only hypocrisy here is that they can still say Kobe is untouchable....

If you are gonna, "blow it up"....then do it...don't try saving kobe who is as much of the problem as anyone else.

I would actually prefer the latter for the spurs instead of Gregg Pop saying, "we had a good season...so you don't have to make drastic changes''...now THAT is a pile of shit tbh.

Koolaid_Man
05-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Well, one way to look at it ...is that the lakers organization is entitled and spoiled,etc...and that Magic is talking out his ass....and if you subscribe to this-I guess it would seem as if they are ungrateful and spoiled.

Another way to look at it...is that it is all about winning and "what have you done for me lately"....and if you subscribe to this- I guess this is how you never settle for mediocrity and are always in contention. The only hypocrisy here is that they can still say Kobe is untouchable....

If you are gonna, "blow it up"....then do it...don't try saving kobe who is as much of the problem as anyone else.

I would actually prefer the latter for the spurs instead of Gregg Pop saying, "we had a good season...so you don't have to make drastic changes''...now THAT is a pile of shit tbh.

of course you would want that Mr. Sour Grapes...as long as Kobe is in LA the Spurs are fucked...even if Kobe is 60yrs old he's an eternal Spurs killa and you'll never advance again...Book IT...:lol

silverblk mystix
05-08-2011, 08:41 AM
of course you would want that Mr. Sour Grapes...as long as Kobe is in LA the Spurs are fucked...even if Kobe is 60yrs old he's an eternal Spurs killa and you'll never advance again...Book IT...:lol

Reading comprehension issues...work on em....welcher.

I said don't be hypocritical if you are going to say, "blow it up."
That's it.

As far as Spurs fan wanting kobe out of l.a.

Who cares...Kobe is done anyway and couldn't hurt anyone anyway...unless you are a white midwestern female...but I digress...I actually HOPE they keep kobe forever...and he keeps shooting the lakers out of contention...and throwing teammates under the bus.

Koolaid_Man
05-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Reading comprehension issues...work on em....welcher.

I said don't be hypocritical if you are going to say, "blow it up."
That's it.

Who cares...Kobe is done anyway and couldn't hurt anyone anyway...unless you are a white midwestern female...but I digress...I actually HOPE they keep kobe forever...and he keeps shooting the lakers out of contention...and throwing teammates under the bus.

It's almost 2012 dawg wake your sleepy ass up....

Giuseppe
05-08-2011, 09:47 AM

He ain't been beat over consecutive June.

silverblk mystix
05-08-2011, 09:53 AM
He ain't been beat over consecutive June.

He'll be fishing in June this year right along with my spurs.

Giuseppe
05-08-2011, 09:55 AM
He'll be fishing in June this year right along with my spurs.

Still & all, he ain't been beat over consecutive Junes.

JoeTait75
05-08-2011, 09:59 AM
The Laker fanbase has an unbelievable sense of entitlement. If they don't win a championship every single year, it's an outrage on the scale of 9/11.

As well they should. The franchise sets a high standard and the people with an interest in the franchise absolutely should hold them to it.

TheManFromAcme
05-08-2011, 10:00 AM
didnt magic johnson sold his minority share in the lakers, so wtf does his comments is still relevance?

Because he's Magic Johnson. You ask the older Los Angelinos who witnessed showtime and they'll tell you he walks on water. He's untouchable to many fans like myself. Yeah, he says some off the wall ignorant crap but he's still our boy. That will never change. :toast

Killakobe81
05-08-2011, 12:22 PM
As well they should. The franchise sets a high standard and the people with an interest in the franchise absolutely should hold them to it.

Joe gets it ...others do not. I know we are arrogant as whole (not all) myself included, but I know no other way ...i expect teh Lakers to be great we only have NOT been ... for the mid 90's

Killakobe81
05-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Because he's Magic Johnson. You ask the older Los Angelinos who witnessed showtime and they'll tell you he walks on water. He's untouchable to many fans like myself. Yeah, he says some off the wall ignorant crap but he's still our boy. That will never change. :toast

Amen, brother.

NewcastleKEG
05-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I think they are ridiculous. Lakers win 2 straight championships and Magic Johnson is already calling for the team to be blown up the first year they are close to losing. He totally ignores how little help the bench gives them. Pau Gasol just got divorced. I think the Lakers are a tweak or 2 from being champions again. But I guess Magic Johnson disagrees despite all their success.
2 things

A)This year is the changing of the guard. OKC/Memphis series, I heard the two rosters only have a few players over 30 years old? So Lakers will have to blow it up eventually

B)Anyone who watched the 2010 Finals knows they haven't won 2 straight titles. Without Perkins injury they lose in Game 6. Without the refs they lose in Game 7. That title last year was a mirage

Really:
2008: Lakers lose to Celtics
2009: KG gets injured and Lakers win the title by going through one of the easiest roads to the title in NBA History. The Yao-less Rockets were the best team the Lakers faced...
2010: Lakers lose to Celtics

But his comments about ''this group has been together too long'' ring true

Giuseppe
05-08-2011, 01:08 PM
B)Anyone who watched the 2010 Finals knows they haven't won 2 straight titles. Without Perkins injury they lose in Game 6. Without the refs they lose in Game 7. That title last year was a mirage

That's (injuries/officiating) part & parcel to it, daddy. You don't win NBA Titles by doing good.

You're like the Spurs/Suns:::waitin' on utopia.

NewcastleKEG
05-08-2011, 01:11 PM
That's (injuries/officiating) part & parcel to it, daddy. You don't win NBA Titles by doing good.

You're like the Spurs/Suns:::waitin' on utopia.
Just pointing out why you lost in the 2nd Round this year. Had you lost in the Finals last year the front office would have been forced to make the necessary changes

Celtics made the changes and they are still playing
Lakers were living in a dream and didn't make them

Giuseppe
05-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Had you lost in the Finals last year the front office would have been forced to make the necessary changes

But, we didn't. That's the point of a scoreboard.

NewcastleKEG
05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
But, we didn't. That's the point of a scoreboard.
So you got one Title that everyone in the NBA community calls a joke/fix and now your getting swept in the 2nd Round. Your locker room hates each other and NOW without the necessary changes your going to lose in the 1st Round next year. BUT now you have Fisher signed for 2 more years (:lol), still got Artest, Walton.

Let's be honest. Your gonna bring the same team back next year and lose in the 1st Round. You need a Top10 player in this league and Kobe is 8-10 and falling

Giuseppe
05-08-2011, 01:18 PM
So you got one Title that everyone in the NBA community calls a joke/fix and now your getting swept in the 2nd Round. Your locker room hates each other and NOW without the necessary changes your going to lose in the 1st Round next year. BUT now you have Fisher signed for 2 more years (:lol), still got Artest, Walton.

Let's be honest. Your gonna bring the same team back next year and lose in the 1st Round. You need a Top10 player in this league and Kobe is 8-10 and falling

I don't qualify 'em. I just tote 'em up.

I got 16 NBA World Championships.

NewcastleKEG
05-08-2011, 01:24 PM
I don't qualify 'em. I just tote 'em up.

I got 16 NBA World Championships.
and how many Finals loses?

Lakers = Atlanta Braves

ChumpDumper
05-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I just like that he threw Lakers under the bus while they were still playing. He really doesn't care about them anymore.