PDA

View Full Version : Spurs and Pistons Notebooks

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Spurs notebook: Duncan's latest move not exactly smooth
Web Posted: 06/09/2005 12:00 AM CDT
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060905.3S.BKNspurs.notebook.2f619a14b.html

San Antonio Express-News

Tim Duncan's footwork might have helped earn him the nickname "Big Fundamental," but he didn't display the smoothest of moves Wednesday.

Duncan was climbing steps to the podium to speak with the media when he tripped. For a brief moment, the Spurs' two-time MVP looked like he was about to fall hard on his face.

Duncan, much to the relief of the Spurs' brass, somehow recovered, steadied himself and finished off the performance by pantomiming a jump shot.

Carlesimo put on hold: If Minnesota or New York plan on hiring P.J. Carlesimo as their coach, it will have to wait until after the NBA Finals.

Carlesimo interviewed with both teams during breaks in the playoffs, but didn't sound too confident Wednesday about landing either job.

"They both said that they are not going to try to interfere with what you're doing and we'll reach out," Carlesimo said. "Obviously, when people are reaching out more often and you're talking to them more often, you feel better. I felt better a couple weeks ago than I do now."

Coaches who serve on the staffs of successful teams typically have to overcome logistical difficulties to land another job because they're busy working in the playoffs.

"The pros are you have a great job and generally the further you go it enhances your chances," Carlesimo said. "The negative is the obvious: Teams can't wait, sometimes, to do what they want to do. But in my opinion, there are way more pros than cons. I wouldn't be involved in as many situations if I wasn't in San Antonio."

Tranquility base: Asked during his turn on the interview podium Wednesday what Robert Horry meant to the Spurs, Manu Ginobili may have surprised his interrogator.

"He's a guy that transmits tranquility," Ginobili said. "He makes you feel comfortable, confident, knowing that you're going to get there, that he's going to be there to help you out. If you're going to depend on him for a shot, he's going to make it."

No sizzle: There has been a lot of talk about the Spurs-Pistons series not matching the glamour of previous Finals matchups that have included such popular stars as Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant or Allen Iverson.

According to Spurs defensive standout Bruce Bowen, one group of Finals viewers believes the series is well worth watching.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't sell," Bowen said, "but for those coaches who are doing clinics throughout the summer, I guarantee you they talk about (Pistons) coach (Larry) Brown and (Spurs) coach (Gregg) Popovich. They emphasize the little things, as far as defense, defense, defense, and move the ball."

Fair is fair: Pistons backup forward Darvin Ham said he hoped to find some time to chat briefly with Spurs backup forward Glenn Robinson during the series. The two were teammates, and close friends, on the Milwaukee Bucks for three seasons.

"Tell Darvin he's already got a (championship) ring," Robinson said. "It's time for him to hand it over."

'Mom comes first': Devin Brown, the Spurs' only San Antonio native, said his many friends in town know better than to ask him for tickets to the NBA Finals.

"I've got them trained," Brown said with a laugh. "Nobody's really harassing me right now. They know mom comes first."

Brown said he hopes to get some minutes even though he has a herniated disc in his lower back, an injury that has robbed him of much of the strength in his right leg.

"The long layoff after we wrapped up the Phoenix series was a bonus for me," Brown said. "I was cheering for the Detroit-Miami series to keep going so I could get my leg together. I'm good now. I'm looking forward to some good minutes (tonight)."

Brown, a West Campus graduate and former UTSA standout, said reaching the Finals is a dream come true.

"It's something I can't believe right now," Brown said. "Maybe it will sink in five or 10 years from now when I look back at it and say I went to high school here, played college here and played for an NBA championship with my hometown team. But I can't look at it that way right now. We need to get four games."

Fans can submit photos: As the NBA Finals kick off, the Express-News and MySA.com are accepting electronic submissions of Spurs fans' own photos of local people expressing their support for their hometown team.

Selected photos will be published on Page 2B of the Metro section throughout the remainder of the playoffs, with more available for viewing online at MySanAntonio.com, keyword: Spurs. All photos should be e-mailed to [email protected] in .jpg format.

Johnny Ludden, Mike Monroe, Tom Orsborn, Express-News staff

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Pistons notebook: Detroit knows how to start on right foot
Web Posted: 06/09/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060905.5S.BKNpistons.notebook.2f620e665.html

A common thread in the Pistons' recent postseason success has been their ability to seize control of playoff series early.

And playing on the road hasn't been a factor.

In the past two seasons, the Pistons are 6-1 in Game 1 of a playoff series. The only loss came in last year's Eastern Conference finals, but Detroit was able to steal Game 2 in Indiana.

They also won Game 1 of last year's NBA Finals at the Los Angeles Lakers and Game 1 of this year's conference finals at Miami.

"Last year, it was a big statement when we got Game 1 in L.A.," forward Rasheed Wallace said. "It doesn't necessarily have to be Game 1 (against the Spurs), but we're going to try to get one of these two."

Defensive poster boys: Detroit's Ben Wallace said he hopes the outstanding team defense expected to be on display in this series will help convince other players around the league to take pride in their defensive efforts.

"So many players in the league think their best defense is their offense, but when you think that way, you get too relaxed," said Wallace, adding that it should be no surprise that the teams that reached the Finals are defensive-minded squads.

"It's no accident at all. This league has built itself on offense, but the teams that win are usually the ones with guys that can come down and get stops and make plays on both ends of the floor."

ESPN NBA analyst Jack Ramsay agreed with Wallace, who won the NBA Defensive Player of the Year Award this season. He also won the award in 2002 and 2003.

"You have two very good defensive teams here that are extremely well coached," Ramsay said. "Both put a high priority on defense. It's the essence of their games and their offense very often comes out of their defense.

"It's good for basketball. You are going to see a very high level of team defense played in this series by both teams. It's a good showpiece for the NBA. Fans will like it. There will be hard-played, hard-fought, well-orchestrated games. It should be a terrific series."

Picking up the slack: Ben Wallace said a big key to the Pistons' success is their ability to spread responsibility and adjust their roles when teammates struggle.

"We're all pieces in the unit," Wallace said. "If one guy's failing or one guy's not hitting his shots, that puts a little more pressure on the other (guys). We're all working together in a smooth groove."

Firing up Rasheed: Detroit guard Chauncey Billups admitted Wednesday that playing with Rasheed Wallace sometimes can be frustrating. But not for the reasons people might think.

"Sometimes I get a little mad with him because he's sometimes a little too unselfish," Billups said. "Because I feel like he has a mismatch every night, I really do. So when we go to him and he's not looking to score, sometimes I have to get on him, and say, 'What are you doing man? Come on now, that's what we want.'"

Ready for Manu: Tayshaun Prince said he's prepared for anything while guarding the Spurs' Manu Ginobili.

"All left-handers are crafty players," Prince said. "They have a unique-type game, and he definitely has it."

But shouldn't it be easier for Prince because he's also a southpaw? "It doesn't help," he said.

EC phone home: Backup center Elden Campbell said he spent much of his time with Utah and New Jersey this season chatting with the Pistons via phone.

Detroit traded the 16-year veteran to the Jazz early in the season for Carlos Arroyo. After Utah released Campbell, he joined the Nets. He was reunited with his former teammates in March after the Pistons bought his contract.

"I kept in contact with the guys the whole time," the 7-foot, 280-pound Campbell said. "It's such a family unit."

Mike Finger, Tom Orsborn

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 01:02 AM
The Matchups

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA060905.4S.BKNspurs.matchups.2f5e2a9d6.html
San Antonio Express-News

Tony Parker

Like Manu Ginobili and Tim Duncan, has improved his scoring in playoffs. Gregg Popovich has urged Parker to look for his shot and be aggressive. ... One of league's quickest guards. Will break down teams if he's allowed into lane. ... Aggressive defender who will pressure his man full court. ... More consistent than previous seasons, but still has up-and-down moments. ... Struggled with jumper in last few games of conference finals.

Manu Ginobili

Averaging almost six more points per game in playoffs than he did in regular season. ... Relentless driver. Will attack basket time and again. ... Averaging nine free-throw attempts per game in playoffs. ... Much-improved 3-point shooter, making 46.2 percent of his attempts in playoffs. Shot 62.5 percent overall in two games against Detroit. ... Could begin series guarding Tayshaun Prince, but also will spend some time on Richard Hamilton. ... Named to All-Star team for first time.

Tim Duncan

Making his third trip to Finals in seven years. ... Layoff should have done him some good, though neither of his ankles is fully healed. ... Has improved each round of playoffs. Averaged 27.4 points, 13.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists in Western Conference finals. ... His five 30-point games in playoffs are two fewer than he had during regular season.

Bruce Bowen

Has quietly had an impressive playoffs, harassing Carmelo Anthony, Ray Allen, Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson. ... Probably will start series chasing Hamilton off screens. Also figures to spend some time guarding Chauncey Billups and Prince. ... Hit a handful of clutch shots in conference finals. Has made 42.1 percent of his 3-point attempts in playoffs. ... Free-throw shooting, while not good, has improved.

Nazr Mohammed

Moved into starting lineup after Rasho Nesterovic sprained his ankle late during regular season. ... Strong on offensive boards. Also generates most of his offense there. ... Much more aggressive at rim than Nesterovic. ... Still getting used to Spurs' defensive system, but has been better shot-blocker than advertised. ... Had 13 points and eight rebounds in 21 minutes against the Pistons on March 20.

Spurs' reserves

Robert Horry has been his usual playoff self, throwing in timely 3-pointers. Popovich likes to have him on floor with Duncan at end of games. ... Brent Barry moved back to bench in second round. Helped set tone in opener of conference finals, making five 3-pointers. ... Beno Udrih played well last two games vs. Phoenix. Solid 3-point shooter, but sometimes struggles against more physical players. ... Devin Brown's defense and Glenn Robinson's offense could be needed in this series.

Gregg Popovich

Trying to join Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, John Kundla and Pat Riley as only coaches to win more than two NBA championships. ... Making third trip to Finals in seven years. ... His .631 winning percentage leads active coaches and ranks fourth all-time. ... Not afraid to experiment. Moved Ginobili to bench in first round. Team also has successfully adjusted to changes in opponents' style from round to round. ... First NBA job was on Brown's Spurs staff.

--------------------------
Chauncey Billups

Last season's Finals MVP. ... After Eastern Conference finals, Pistons president Joe Dumars called him franchise's best clutch shooter. ... Averaged team-high 21.5 points on 61.9 percent shooting in two games against Spurs. Scored 18 points in fourth quarter in Dec. 3 loss. ... Has size to post up Tony Parker. ... Made a career-best 42.6 percent of his 3-point attempts during season. ... Great at foul line.

Richard Hamilton

One of game's best midrange shooters. Also great at moving without ball. Pistons will run his defender off several screens. ... Averaging team-high 21.3 points while shooting 48 percent in playoffs. ... Wasn't too effective against Spurs during regular season, missing 18 of 26 shots in two games. ... Can pressure his man on perimeter with Wallace tag-team behind him. ... Excellent free-throw shooter. ... Averaged 23.6 points and 5.9 assists in conference finals.

Rasheed Wallace

Rival of Tim Duncan's since their ACC days when Duncan played for Wake Forest and Wallace for North Carolina. ... His turnaround jumper is impossible to guard. Pulls defenders away from basket with 3-point range. ... At times will help Ben Wallace double Duncan. ... Selfless player. ... Emotions can still get the best of him, but no longer compiling technicals at rate he did in Portland.

Tayshaun Prince

Can frustrate opponents on both ends of court with his length and athleticism. ... Has size to post up both Manu Ginobili and Bruce Bowen. ... Developed into one of league's best perimeter defenders. ... Scored 26 points against Spurs in Detroit's March 20 victory. ... Covers ground quickly. Has knack for running down players on break. Ask Reggie Miller.

Ben Wallace

NBA Defensive Player of the Year for the third time in four seasons. ... One of league's top shot-blockers. Strong enough to once separate Sean Elliott's shoulder on a block. ... Occasionally will front Duncan with Rasheed Wallace sometimes double-teaming from behind. ... Finished season second in rebounding at 12.2 per game. ... Guarded Shaquille O'Neal for much of last series. ... Only shooting 46.9 percent from foul line in playoffs.

Pistons' reserves

Brown typically uses only seven players, which is why four starters are averaging more than 38 minutes in playoffs. ... Multiple knee operations have robbed Antonio McDyess of his explosiveness, but he's still effective. ... Lindsey Hunter is a tough, defensive-minded guard. ... Backup point guard Carlos Arroyo, a midseason pickup from Utah, played only four minutes in final two games of conference finals.

Larry Brown

Has coached an NBA-record seven different teams, including Spurs, to the playoffs. ... Won his first championship last season. ... Making his third trip to Finals in five years. Coached Philadelphia when it lost to Los Angeles Lakers in 2001. ... Needs three victories to pass Red Auerbach for third on career playoff list.

Old School Chic
06-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Tranquility base: Asked during his turn on the interview podium Wednesday what Robert Horry meant to the Spurs, Manu Ginobili may have surprised his interrogator.

"He's a guy that transmits tranquility," Ginobili said. "He makes you feel comfortable, confident, knowing that you're going to get there, that he's going to be there to help you out. If you're going to depend on him for a shot, he's going to make it."

:spin