PDA

View Full Version : Tired of the following words/phrases re Spurs add more

Rummpd
06-09-2005, 06:45 AM
On the eve of the finals I see the Spurs shocking the world with the brilliant, tough nosed and aggressive "from the get go play" and begin to dispell some of these words/phrases, please add more!

boring

Steady

Fundemental (not a bad word but over-spun)

respected but not feared

not a dynasty, but

soft

ratings disaster (this one probably cannot be helped playing the Pistons)

under-appreciated

samikeyp
06-09-2005, 07:09 AM
the "soft" label still mystifies me. I could see it if the Spurs had not won any titles. Besides, if you have what it takes to make the NBA, you cannot be soft.

BigDaddyMatty
06-09-2005, 07:37 AM
boring...that kills me every time.

how about dirty.

beer_is_proof
06-09-2005, 07:43 AM
How about over rated?

How about over confident?

What you don't know can hurt you. And what you don't know is that the Pistons won't go down easy.

Taco
06-09-2005, 07:46 AM
I am tired of "The Drive" on the Ticket 760

Bryan Cocks said he's not going to watch the finals it'll be boring

He watched game 7 Det vs Miami

I forgot what was the score

88-82 wow what a scoring explosion

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 07:47 AM
illegal immigrant

ABA

who?????

ObiwanGinobili
06-09-2005, 07:48 AM
I am tired of "The Drive" on the Ticket 760

Bryan Cocks said he's not going to watch the finals it'll be boring

He watched game 7 Det vs Miami

I forgot what was the score

88-82 wow what a scoring explosion

f*cking exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpursWoman
06-09-2005, 07:58 AM
How about over rated?

What you don't know can hurt you. And what you don't know is that the Pistons won't go down easy.

Sounds like you're talking about some of the fans and/or media, not the team. Apparently you are the one who is lacking knowledge about the opponent if this is your perception.

And considering they are only one of two teams left standing out of 30, that over-rated wouldn't be a word I'd use either. They earned their way to the Finals just like the Pistons did.

And no one (except for maybe SequSpur) thinks they'll go down easy.

Useruser666
06-09-2005, 08:26 AM
"That'll be $7 for that one beer."

BigDaddyMatty
06-09-2005, 08:46 AM
How about over rated?

I guarantee the spurs are not over confident.

Sense
06-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Nothing without Robinson.

MadDog73
06-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Nothing without Robinson.

Glenn Robinson? :lol

Sense
06-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Glenn Robinson? :lol

erm... sarcasm perhaps? Cant catch it online

but obviously no....

ambchang
06-09-2005, 09:48 AM
How about over rated?

I don't know where you got the idea that people are taking the Pistons lightly. There are dozens of posters on this newsboard who have expressed their respect to the Pistons basketball team, and has continuously iterated that the Pistons are the team that matches up with the Spurs the best. Most people predict a 6 to 7 game series, with Detroit or Spurs as the victors split almost evenly.
Of course, in a Spurs group, where most posters are Spurs fan, it is expected that a higher percentage of people are going to vote the Spurs as the favourites. You can't expect Spurs fans to come in here and express fear to the Pistons and say that there is no chance in hell the Spurs are going to win, just like we can't expect the Pistons fans to say that the Spurs are going to win for sure.
And Spurs as an overrated basketball club? How? like having the best combined record for the last 7 years in ALL major American sports? Or winning 2 championship in 7 years?
And how are they overconfident? You heard any Spurs predicting a sweep, or even guaranteeing a victory?

spurschick
06-09-2005, 10:42 AM
The #1 word I'm tired of hearing is FLOP.

Shelly
06-09-2005, 10:46 AM
"That'll be $7 for that one beer."

:lol

ZappaFan
ratings disaster (this one probably cannot be helped playing the Pistons)

Spurs take 50% of the blame for that perception. They wouldn't be calling it a ratings disaster if it was Suns-Pistons.

Game 7 of the Pistons-Heat was the highest rated playoff game ever shown on cable television.

FromWayDowntown
the "soft" label still mystifies me. I could see it if the Spurs had not won any titles. Besides, if you have what it takes to make the NBA, you cannot be soft.

I'm with you on that mikey. It bothers me to no end to hear the talking heads go back to this tired, cliched view of this Spurs team. I'd agree that the Spurs were a fairly soft bunch in the late 90's (until 1999); I thought they were pretty soft (at least mentally) in 2001. But with this bunch, with guys like Timmy, Manu, Bowen, Horry, Nazr, and Massenburg, I don't see the same issue.

They don't have any kind of thug life around, but the absence of thug life does not make one soft.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Spurs take 50% of the blame for that perception. They wouldn't be calling it a ratings disaster if it was Suns-Pistons.

nor would it be a ratings disaster had it been Spurs-Heat.

ZappaFan
06-09-2005, 10:48 AM
nor would it be a ratings disaster had it been Spurs-Heat.

That just might be why I said the Spurs have to take 50% of the blame for that perception, eh? ;)

timvp
06-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Pop, LB and everyone else needs to STFU with the phrase "The Right Way" .

It's a stupid and pompous thing to say. There is no right way. The only right way is winning. No one would care if the Spurs lost but played "the right way".

It's a game. Win.

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 10:50 AM
I'm sick of hearing how both teams are "disciplined" and "play the right way". I'm tired of hearing about how Tim is "methodical" and "fundamental", how Manu "flops", how Bowen is "dirty" and how Tony is "young". I also don't like hearing about "high basketball IQ" and "appropriate fear".

It's time to rumble. Let's just get on with the games.

samikeyp
06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
They wouldn't be calling it a ratings disaster if it was Suns-Pistons.

actually they would have....all those retirees in Phoenix go to bed at 8p! :lmao

ZappaFan
06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Pop, LB and everyone else needs to STFU with the phrase "The Right Way" .

It's a stupid and pompous thing to say. There is no right way. The only right way is winning. No one would care if the Spurs lost but played "the right way".

It's a game. Win.

Pop made a funny statement yesterday in his press conference (shown on NBATV) where he said something about being tired of that phrase. A friendly ribbing to LB for sure.

FromWayDowntown
06-09-2005, 10:55 AM
That just might be why I said the Spurs have to take 50% of the blame for that perception, eh? ;)

I heard you. I was just making sure that everyone understood both sides of the argument. Obtusely-made points are occasionally lost on some.