PDA

View Full Version : NBA Ref Admits He Blew Call on Inadvertent Whistl

boutons_deux
05-09-2011, 05:32 AM
NBA referee Bennett Salvatore acknowledged Sunday that he blew a call in the closing minutes of Atlanta's 100-88 victory over the Chicago Bulls, which evened the Eastern Conference semifinal at two games apiece.

"An inadvertent whistle is when a referee blows a whistle and didn't mean to," Salvatore said. "That's exactly what happened. I blew my whistle and didn't mean to. I didn't think it was a foul."

Bennett changed his opinion after watching a replay.

"It was a foul and I should have called it," he said. "I made a mistake."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/05/09/sports/basketball/AP-BKN-Bulls-Hawks-Missed-Call.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Red Hawk #21
05-09-2011, 05:55 AM
This man is a joke, although we did dodge a bullet by him fucking up an easy call.

greyforest
05-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Salvatore will surely be fired for repeated ineptitude.

Josepatches_
05-09-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm tired of this fucking calls where the players aren't going to shoot and they only jump to put them under his defender.
imo if the shooter moves the feet searching the contact it hasn't to be a fault.His defender doesn't jump over him.

But if these are the rules sure the refs have to call those plays.

Dex
05-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I'm tired of this fucking calls where the players aren't going to shoot and they only jump to put them under his defender.
imo if the shooter moves the feet searching the contact it hasn't to be a fault.His defender doesn't jump over him.

But if these are the rules sure the refs have to call those plays.

You'll probably see this move two or three times a game now.

Up-fake, get the defender in the air, jump into them. It's one of Manu's signatures, and Hill has started picking it up as well. Lots of guys do it, because it works.

I don't like it, because frankly, it's disingenuous to what basketball is all about. It's not about making a shot, or making a basketball play....it's just about taking advantage of the rules and a defender's natural tendency to defend, and forcing contact for free throws.

Does it put points on the board? Sure. But I doubt that's what they were envisioning when they thought up the rules and reasoning for a foul.

Don't like it, never have....but I'll still take the two free throws when we need the points.

diego
05-09-2011, 10:00 AM
You'll probably see this move two or three times a game now.

Up-fake, get the defender in the air, jump into them. It's one of Manu's signatures, and Hill has started picking it up as well. Lots of guys do it, because it works.

I don't like it, because frankly, it's disingenuous to what basketball is all about. It's not about making a shot, or making a basketball play....it's just about taking advantage of the rules and a defender's natural tendency to defend, and forcing contact for free throws.

Does it put points on the board? Sure. But I doubt that's what they were envisioning when they thought up the rules and reasoning for a foul.

Don't like it, never have....but I'll still take the two free throws when we need the points.

if the fake is good and makes the defender over-commit i'm cool with it. Its when the defender barely contests (or sometimes turns away even) and the jumpshooter kicks his legs into him that it becomes totally cheap.