PDA

View Full Version : Histoical significance of the Mavs stunning playoff sweep

SenorSpur
05-09-2011, 10:41 AM
In trying to set aside my Mavericks hatred for a minute, I have to give them major props for, not only defeating the "evil empire" that is the Fakers, but also the stunning fashion in which they pulled this off - in an unprecedented and unexpected 4-game sweep.

That said, I started thinking about how the historical relevance of this surprising playoff ouster. When this is all said and done, I believe this 4-game sweep will be viewed in some major historical significance. When you consider the fact that the Fakers were the 2-time defending NBA champions, when you factor in how they were so heavily favored to win it all and 3-peat this season, along with the fact that NO ONE saw this coming, I firmly believe that this playoff upset will go down as perhaps the second biggest surprise upset in NBA playoff history. I believe it will rank third behind the Golden State Warriors improbable 4-game sweep of the heavily-favored Washington Bullets in the 1975 NBA Finals and the Detroit Pistons stunning 5-game elimination of the heavily-favored Fakers in the 2004 NBA Finals.

Venti Quattro
05-09-2011, 10:43 AM
It won't if they won't go all the way.

Those things happened in the finals. Before making threads to spite the Lakers, think. Either you're stupid or you're just trying to jinx Dallas. Either way you're dumb :lmao

rasho8
05-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Well it happens to everyone sooner or later. We got swept last year by Phoenix of all people after beating these same Mavs in a great series. And then this year we don;t even make it past the young Memphis squad.

All in all it was a fun trash talking decade.... but it is time for the big teams to either blow themselves up and start fresh or make way for the new blood in the league.

LA will be fine. Howard will make his way out there followed by one or two other big namer superstars and be a foil to Miami. Boston and San Antonio's time is pretty much done for now. NYC might not suck terribly anymore but they are not winning anything with that roster.

Leetonidas
05-09-2011, 11:22 AM
VQ in full damage-control mode

SenorSpur
05-09-2011, 11:23 AM
It won't if they won't go all the way.

Those things happened in the finals. Before making threads to spite the Lakers, think. Either you're stupid or you're just trying to jinx Dallas. Either way you're dumb :lmao

It doesn't make any difference to me either way, how it's viewed. It was simply an idle thought for the masses. Someone is being too sensitive. :lol

However, I can understand why your butt is chapped. After all, it's only been 24 hours.

Venti Quattro
05-09-2011, 11:24 AM
VQ in full damage-control mode

Ok so it does something. You spurfans can exact revenge for your skunker last year. But for the Mavs it means nothing. They don't give a shit about fat beaners from San Antonio trying to piss the shit out of the Lakers fans. If they don't win it, the sweep of the Lakers will mean nothing for them. Maybe a page or two of LOL threads at the Lakers, which is jack shit.

Dex
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
In trying to set aside my Mavericks hatred for a minute, I have to give them major props for, not only defeating the "evil empire" that is the Fakers, but also the stunning fashion in which they pulled this off - in an unprecedented and unexpected 4-game sweep.

That said, I started thinking about how the historical relevance of this surprising playoff ouster. When this is all said and done, I believe this 4-game sweep will be viewed in some major historical significance. When you consider the fact that the Fakers were the 2-time defending NBA champions, when you factor in how they were so heavily favored to win it all and 3-peat this season, along with the fact that NO ONE saw this coming, I firmly believe that this playoff upset will go down as perhaps the second biggest surprise upset in NBA playoff history. I believe it will rank third behind the Golden State Warriors improbable 4-game sweep of the heavily-favored Washington Bullets in the 1975 NBA Finals and the Detroit Pistons stunning 5-game elimination of the heavily-favored Fakers in the 2004 NBA Finals.

I really don't think it will matter that much in the long run. The only team that gets remembered is the last one standing. They just join the rest of us in last place.

The defending-champion Heat got swept in the first round of 2007, and the only time you hear about that is when ESPN is running segments and cutaways of similar sweeps or situations.

I doubt the Lakers are going to blow up their team because of it. As long as Pau can take a summer off to cry his eyes out and they can find Andrew Bynum a brain, they'll come back with the same formula and a few new pieces next year and try again. What remains to be seen is how someone other than Phil Jackson will drive the car.

Venti Quattro
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM
It doesn't make any difference to me either way, how it's viewed. It was simply an idle thought for the masses. Someone is being too sensitive. :lol

However, I can understand why your butt is chapped. After all, it's only been 24 hours.

It's an idle thought... it means nothing, which is what your thread has been.

SenorSpur
05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
It's an idle thought... it means nothing, which is what your thread has been.

LOL at you thinking every post by an opposing fan is a slight against your team. Get over yourself.

Hey, the accomplishments of your franchise stand alone in NBA history. Hell, you guys have been the Finals for three straight years, and were going for a 3-peat. Yet. here you are getting butt-ache over someone else's opinion. Grow the fuck up, dude.

WeNeedLength
05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Ok so it does something. You spurfans can exact revenge for your skunker last year. But for the Mavs it means nothing. They don't give a shit about fat beaners from San Antonio trying to piss the shit out of the Lakers fans. If they don't win it, the sweep of the Lakers will mean nothing for them. Maybe a page or two of LOL threads at the Lakers, which is jack shit.

Obviously you weren't paying attention when Dallas finally beat the Spurs in 7 games on the way to choking in the finals. Do you think they didn't give us shit despite not winning anything beyond it? You clearly don't know Mavs fans. :lmao

Leetonidas
05-09-2011, 11:41 AM

That's the thing...I'm aware how trivial all of this is, which makes the back and forth that much more entertaining. And really it's not about Spurfan supporting the Mavs, it's about all of the fans of NBA collectively taking a shit on the extremely pompous and delusional Laker fanbase. Like I said before, I knew the Spurs gimmick offense would get owned in the playoffs. But Lakefan was touting his horn all fucking season, coasting this, non-issue that. It's a fitting end to the Kobe Lakers.

Venti Quattro
05-09-2011, 11:41 AM
So answer, it means for LA, I know that already. All the credit in the world goes to Dallas for skunking and ass-fucking LA. But does it mean for Dallas if they don't win the championship? In 1989, LA swept through to the finals. Didn't matter. So why should it bear a lot of significance now?

Cry Havoc
05-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I believe it will rank third behind the Golden State Warriors improbable...

4-game sweep of the heavily-favored Washington Bullets in the 1975 NBA Finals

Not at all how I expected that to continue.

TampaDude
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
So answer, it means for LA, I know that already. All the credit in the world goes to Dallas for skunking and ass-fucking LA. But does it mean for Dallas if they don't win the championship? In 1989, LA swept through to the finals. Didn't matter. So why should it bear a lot of significance now?

Yup...that stupid Manu foul is meaningless to the Mavs, and Fisher's miracle .4 is meaningless to the Lakers...if you don't ring, it's all just conversation.

JamStone
05-09-2011, 11:50 AM
I think in the short term, it will be remembered quite a bit by disappointed Laker fans and laughing Laker haters. And I'm sure basketball junkies will remember it for a while. As for historical significance, I tend to agree that it does matter what Dallas does from here on out. If they win it all, I think the series could be viewed and referenced as a significant series that pushed them towards a championship run. If Dallas falls short, I think it will be a much less significant footnote, only remembered by diehard Laker fans, ardent Laker haters, and historical basketball junkies. Also, I think what the Lakers do in the next few years might also have an effect on how it's remember, whether it sparks the Lakers to make major changes or if it's the start of a downward spiral towards mediocrity to end Kobe's career.

TheMACHINE
05-09-2011, 11:50 AM
That's the thing...I'm aware how trivial all of this is, which makes the back and forth that much more entertaining. And really it's not about Spurfan supporting the Mavs, it's about all of the fans of NBA collectively taking a shit on the extremely pompous and delusional Laker fanbase. Like I said before, I knew the Spurs gimmick offense would get owned in the playoffs. But Lakefan was touting his horn all fucking season, coasting this, non-issue that. It's a fitting end to the Kobe Lakers.

lol and the spurs fan didnt believe in thier team too? give me a break.