PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard (and Arenas) to LA (for Bynum - Gasol)

kaji157
05-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Welll... what can i say, i just hope it's only a rumor, but here is what this Spanish newspaper is saying.
The worst thing is that it makes sense, and you can barely say this trade is onesided, but what really annoys me is that if Orlando does this and the new CBA has the option to put the Franchise tag on players, then this trade would come down as one of the worse in NBA history.

EDIT: oh, if someone (like me) still hoped salaries might not match, they do.. http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/5884288

The article says that apparently, due to the 4-0 slap the lakers just had, their are willing to part with Gasol AND Bynum, for Dwight Howard and Gilbert Arenas.

Orlando would welcome a team willing to take Arenas horrendous contract and they are in doubt of what Howard would determine for his future given this year failure, he still has 2 years left on his contract.

Primeros rumores: Howard a los Lakers, Gasol a los Magic
Tras la eliminación, comienza el baile de especulaciones en torno a los Lakers. Las primeras señalan al interés de los Lakers por Dwight Howard. Gasol y Bynum serían monedas de cambio.

El 0-4 ante Dallas Mavericks ha provocado un terremoto en L.A. El equipo tiene que afrontar un difícil futuro sin Phil Jackson y con un equipo en el que ocho jugadores superan la treintena y tienen contratos en vigor. En paralelo, Dwight Howard apunta a capitalizar rumores en el mercado porque le quedan dos años con Orlando Magic y todo apunta aque su ciclo en Florida podría estar tocando a su fin. La decepción de Orlando Magic y la decepción de Los Angeles Lakers se combinan para apuntar a un rumor obvio: Dwight Howard es el gran objetivo de los Lakers para renovar un roster que ha parecido agotado a lo largo de esta última temporada.

En la operación entrarían Andrew Bynum y Pau Gasol. A partir de ahí comenzarían los ajustes salariales. Orlando incluiría con seguridad el enorme contrato de Gilbert Arenas, que ha fracasado en los Magic. El planteamiento es el siguiente: Orlando podría asumir que Howard no va a seguir y plantearse un traspaso antes de perder a su jugador franquicia a cambio de nada. Desde ese punto de vista, pocas ofertas serían más tentadoras que recibir a Pau Gasol, al que todavía le quedan años en la elite, y a un Bynum que con 23 años puede ser uno de los grandes pívots de la liga... si se asume el riesgo que implican sus rodillas, que le han lastrado en las últimas temporadas. Los Lakers por su parte recibirían a un Howard ideal para realizar la transición entre presente y futuro. Un jugador con el carisma de las grandes estrellas que reclama el Staples y una alternativa deportiva que permita un último asalto todavía con Kobe Bryant y un buen futuro más allá del escolta.

Por ahora, sólo son rumores, que irán a más en los próximos días, en los que se producirán las reuniones entre directiva y jugadores para analizar el futuro de la franquicia. Un futuro en el que sólo hay una cosa segura: será sin Phil Jackson.

Link http://www.as.com/baloncesto/articulo/primeros-rumores-howard-lakers-gasol/20110509dasdasbal_7/Tes

Russ
05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Bad trade for the Lakers. :)

kaji157
05-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Bad trade for the Lakers. :)

Not great, but really difficult to call bad a trade that lands you the most dominant big man on the NBA.

Not to say they still have Arenas-Kobe-Artest and Odom to pair with him, making the biggest NBA lineup.

Stillthe thing that makes me sick is that they would have a perfect start to be the next franchise face for them as Howard can have the same media impact Kobe has.

Not to say that Howard deal ends the same year as Manu's where we will have enough money to offer a max deal. (not implying that we will have Howard but we could try)

benefactor
05-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Lakers don't get any better with that trade. They might actually be worse.

Spurs da champs
05-09-2011, 07:13 PM

Yeah especially with back up bigs & Howard still has no offensive game.

benefactor
05-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I don't get why Laker fan is all lathered up about potentially getting Howard. He's just as big of a mental midget as the players they already have.

J_Paco
05-09-2011, 07:18 PM

Twenty points a night, improving post moves, plus speed and quickness says he does. Dude will never be a dominant offensive scorer because he's a poor FT shooter. But, he has a vastly improving set of moves and counter-moves in the paint.

Shitty trade for Los Angeles, while Orlando remains a contender with the best front-court in the Eastern conference.

05-09-2011, 07:21 PM
bad trade for both teams

NewJerSpur
05-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Still think Orlando shocks the world by not pulling the trigger (as Otis mentioned earlier) and tries to make some other move to get Dwight help and reshape the roster as best as possible on the fly.

One trade that I think would work for the Magic however that was discussed earlier on ESPN was Dwight for Amare (who would be coming back home to the Orlando area). At least in THAT trade you're getting back another franchise player who is going to maintain ticket sales and attract free agents (e.g. D-Will, etc.) to allow you to be competitve and build. NY gets back a younger big who still is yet to reach his potential and might do wonders with a true PG.

Cessation
05-09-2011, 07:25 PM
Not sure how you can call this a bad trade for la. They get rid of clearly disgruntled/washedup gasol, and mr glass, for the most dominant big in last 4 years, who's still in his prime. Howard, Odom, artest, bean, arenas, is an impressive lineup that's great on both ends. Hope this is just a rumour.

anonoftheinternets
05-09-2011, 07:34 PM
how is that a bad trade, its an amazing trade, most dominant big man right now for oft injured bybum and unhappy gasol ... not to mention they have someone to build around even after kobe now .... hope it doesnt go thru ...

DPG21920
05-09-2011, 07:44 PM
I know it's fun to talk about things like this, but this isn't some factual article or real source. It is just wild speculation.

Spurtacus
05-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Howard going to the Brooklyn Nets in exchange for Brook Lopez. Nets will probably take on the ugly contracts of Arenas and Hedo. Magic will get a young Center and other young players like Anthony Morrow and Damion James to rebuild around. Lopez is a much better and cheaper piece to rebuild around then Bynum or Gasol.

Nets need to make DWill happy so he signs an extension. Acquiring Howard will seal that.

Potential starting lineup:
PG-Deron Williams
SG-Gilbert Arenas
SF-Hedo Turkoglu
PF-Kris Humphries
C-Dwight Howard

05-09-2011, 07:47 PM
lakers will be trading 2 of their starters which is also the best front court in the NBA. and who will they have coming off the bench when odom moves to the starting lineup?

you guys are undervaluing gasol and bynum way too much. gasol has been the backbone of the lakers' championships. you don't trade the second best PF and potentially the best center in the west for howard if you want to continue competing for championships. if you want to rebuild, then that is another story.

benefactor
05-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Howard will help defensively, but that's it. He can't shoot and is just as big of a mental softy as Gasol. Arenas sucked this year and solves none of their problems on the perimeter, which were glaring in the playoffs. It's a lateral move at best.

Spursmania
05-09-2011, 08:01 PM
I know it's fun to talk about things like this, but this isn't some factual article or real source. It is just wild speculation.

pancakechef
05-09-2011, 08:31 PM
So Orlando wont go for the Bonner.RJ for Howard deal?

Cessation
05-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Look at the scrubs orlando has right now, put howard on a team with championship experience, and I'm pretty sure results won't be to the liking of spurfan.

mytespurs
05-09-2011, 08:45 PM
The laker loss was lessthan an hour old b4 media, fans, pundits, local homer talkshow hosts were already speculating DHoward 2 lakers 4bynum/gasol or bynum/gasol/odom.

Excuse me 4 a sec but don't lakers need 2 hire a coach 1st? And doesn't there need 2 be a cba in place b4 trades can be discussed, etc?

Seems 2 be a bit of angst about somethingg which may not happen despite the possibilities............:-)

Agloco
05-09-2011, 09:06 PM

Don't worry, they'll swing a trade/deal for Nene in the interim. The other Gasol looks like he's ready to be called up from LA's farm team as well......

Mugen
05-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Pop would start a trade committee to make sure that trade goes down if it were proposed.

Lakers get even worse offensively and crofl @ Arenas being the answer to their PG defensive woes.

intlspurshk
05-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Not a great trade for Lakers. The problems are Kobe's cooperation with others and the bench.

Josepatches_
05-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Diario AS??

Please they are a joke.Surely it was a boy who wrote it in their website and they called it "rumor".

Hoops Czar
05-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Another joke of a rumor and Spurstalk takes it serious. No way would LA take Artest while giving up both Gasol and Bynum. L.A. is still processing the series loss to Dallas and hasn't even thought about possible trade targets. Make the finals three straight seasons, then, lose once and blow up the team. Yeah, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!

DMC
05-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I think we could sell the rights to Nando de Culo

NewJerSpur
05-09-2011, 10:17 PM
That front line bench was already pretty shallow, now Odom will probably start at 4 really making that bench small. If that trade holds any water. I asked around and the Magic have no intention of trading Dwight. Not saying it won't happen, because that is an attractive offer from where I stand. Still, a poor man's Wilt Chamberlain doesn't come along every day. As good as Bynum has the chance to be he'll never be as good as Howard.

:toast

A team is going to have to sweeten the pot I think and I still don't know if that gets it done if the Magic revamp the roster a bit, maybe make a play at CP3 even if it involves a multiple teams) and give it a go. Magic aren't just going to settle for draft picks imo and a 2nd tier player in a rebuild if they think they can hold on to Dwight and make enough of a push to re-sign him (despite the rumors).

Sean Cagney
05-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Another joke of a rumor and Spurstalk takes it serious. No way would LA take Artest while giving up both Gasol and Bynum. L.A. is still processing the series loss to Dallas and hasn't even thought about possible trade targets. Make the finals three straight seasons, then, lose once and blow up the team. Yeah, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!

This is Spurs talk man! Some can make up a trade in their mind and it will go pages! I mean some should just read and keep it in perspective alot of times, every thought they think should not be posted on trades they thought up or others did :lol:lol.

Crazymaddopeyo
05-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Dwight Howard's twitter message.

"Y does it seem like the writers of Orlando sentinel are tryna push me out of Orlando with dumb articles. It's annoying. Can I enjoy my summer and get ready for next season in Orlando. Pls. Same thing u guys did to Shaq. Smh"

crc21209
05-10-2011, 01:03 AM
:lol The Magic wont trade Dwight. If anything they'll do anything and everything they can to get help for Dwight, like landing a CP3.....

G-Dawgg
05-10-2011, 02:54 AM
..Wow imagine if we could have Dwight Howard instead........ one can dream...

angelbelow
05-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Makes a lot of sense for the magic. Probably a bad trade for the lakers though.

mingus
05-10-2011, 04:56 AM
Lakers would be dumb to trade Gasol. He'll come back strong next year. What LA needs is a perimiter defender (Artest is great at guarding a specific type of offensive player) and a better pg. And Artest is going to have to improve his 3pt shot ala Jefferson. Barnes has always sucked dick.

will_spurs
05-10-2011, 05:27 AM
It looks like Gasol isn't going to want to play with Kobe any time soon, he's just yet another big in a line of players Kobe pushed out of LA. They have to trade him one way or another. Bynum is going to be suspended for a while I guess, and when he's not in Lala-land any more the refs and Stern will actually give him the suspension he deserves (right now he is protected by his Lakers jersey). These 2 guys will be shipped for sure.

Mal
05-10-2011, 09:10 AM
Howard going to the Brooklyn Nets in exchange for Brook Lopez. Nets will probably take on the ugly contracts of Arenas and Hedo. Magic will get a young Center and other young players like Anthony Morrow and Damion James to rebuild around. Lopez is a much better and cheaper piece to rebuild around then Bynum or Gasol.

Nets need to make DWill happy so he signs an extension. Acquiring Howard will seal that.

Potential starting lineup:
PG-Deron Williams
SG-Gilbert Arenas
SF-Hedo Turkoglu
PF-Kris Humphries
C-Dwight Howard

Lopez and picks and some talents is fair enough.

hater
05-10-2011, 10:13 AM

:hat I hope that trade goes through

Budkin
05-10-2011, 10:36 AM
This isn't even legit.

TJastal
05-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Lakers would be dumb to trade Gasol. He'll come back strong next year. What LA needs is a perimiter defender (Artest is great at guarding a specific type of offensive player) and a better pg. And Artest is going to have to improve his 3pt shot ala Jefferson. Barnes has always sucked dick.

Mingus

Did you not see how uninspired Gasol played in the Dallas/LA series? He appeared to not care all that much one way or another about helping the lakers win.

And there's a rumor going around that Kobe's girlfriend instigated a breakup between Pau and his girlfriend. If there's any truth to this, Pau will be looking for a change of scenery.

And Barnes does not suck dick, he's a very serviceable backup who often outplayed Artest during the course of the year.

Mugen
05-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Mingus

Did you not see how uninspired Gasol played in the Dallas/LA series? He appeared to not care all that much one way or another about helping the lakers win.

And there's a rumor going around that Kobe's girlfriend instigated a breakup between Pau and his girlfriend. If there's any truth to this, Pau will be looking for a change of scenery.

And Barnes does not suck dick, he's a very serviceable backup who often outplayed Artest during the course of the year.

Barnes sucks dick. He might not suck as much dick as Dicky J but rest assured, he sucks dick.

There's a reason he's been on 8 different teams in 8 seasons.

He's a fake thug, bitch-made, dirty POS who's survived in the league based on his reputation of being "tough".

When in reality, he's nothing but dick-sucking fag.

Old School 44
05-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I think the Lakers are better off pursuing Chris Paul rather than Howard.
They need backcourt help. Maybe they trade Pau back to Memphis for Conley and draft picks. What about taking a gamble on trading for oft injured Trailblazers, Oden and Roy?

TJastal
05-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Barnes sucks dick. He might not suck as much dick as Dicky J but rest assured, he sucks dick.

There's a reason he's been on 8 different teams in 8 seasons.

He's a fake thug, bitch-made, dirty POS who's survived in the league based on his reputation of being "tough".

When in reality, he's nothing but dick-sucking fag.

Nah, don't agree at all. Save the "Dirty POS" label for Kobe, Artest, Odom, or Bynum who are all 10X the dirty players that Barnes is. With Barnes there's a lot of bark but not a lot of bite. Which would have been a welcome addition to the spurs this year. We sorely needed a player like Barnes who would have brought some attitude and a fiery disposition, not to mention a lot of hustle plays and SIZE from the bench. I like Matt Barnes as a person and player, and I regret he ended up on the piss and purple this year.

Mugen
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Nah, don't agree at all. Save the "Dirty POS" label for Kobe, Artest, Odom, or Bynum who are all 10X the dirty players that Barnes is. With Barnes there's a lot of bark but not a lot of bite. Which would have been a welcome addition to the spurs this year. We sorely needed a player like Barnes who would have brought some attitude and a fiery disposition, not to mention a lot of hustle plays and SIZE from the bench. I like Matt Barnes as a person and player, and I regret he ended up on the piss and purple this year.

Barnes is every bit as dirty a player as Artest/Odom/Bynum.

I agree the Spurs needed a guy who showed some fire and attitude, but Barnes is not that guy. He's a team cancer as evidenced by never being on a team for more than one season.

You can like his game but you lost me when you said you like him as a person. He's probably the fakest "tough guy" in the league and by far the biggest bitch.

DJ Mbenga
05-10-2011, 01:32 PM
the lakers will probably take out gasol offer odom, and switch arenas for hedo

dbreiden83080
05-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah because Bynum is such a hot property right now.

Can't stay healthy
Horrible team-mate
Quits when things are going bad
tries to end careers of players half his size..

Magic must be dying to get him on the team..

TJastal
05-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Barnes is every bit as dirty a player as Artest/Odom/Bynum.

I agree the Spurs needed a guy who showed some fire and attitude, but Barnes is not that guy. He's a team cancer as evidenced by never being on a team for more than one season.

You can like his game but you lost me when you said you like him as a person. He's probably the fakest "tough guy" in the league and by far the biggest bitch.

Again, I have to disagree.

I've never seen Barnes in his entire career do anything half as dirty as I've seen Kobe, Odom, Bynum, Fisher, or Artest do just about every single year. Whether its undercutting players, elbowing, punching, etc. Sure he'll get up in people's faces and jaw with em and try to intimdate em with a stare but last time I checked this doesn't count towards "dirty play".

As for his being a team cancer, it's hard to justify that label when he has helped a number of teams achieve success which includes significant playoff contributions, most notably the suns & warriors.

Maddog
05-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah because Bynum is such a hot property right now.

Can't stay healthy
Horrible team-mate
Quits when things are going bad
tries to end careers of players half his size..

Magic must be dying to get him on the team..
Bynum has some value as he is essentially an expiring contract team option year after this- Young some talent watch him then get rid of him if you don't like him save ~14 mil.
On the other hand Gasol played like crap this post season and is under contract for 3 years at 19 million/year
Will be 31 starting next year and while an excellent player has never been shown to be able to carry a team (see Memphis). So in all honesty I'm not sure this is the best Orlando could do-I think expirings and picks would be more desirable or young guy like Lopez as mentioned above.
though it does satisfy the CBA rule That all trades should benefit the Lakers.
Also would Howard wan't this? Going to a capped out team with key cogs trending down?

mingus
05-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Mingus

he had one bad playoffs. he was in the converstaion of best big man a year ago. he has been playing non-stop for over 3 years going deep into the playoffs. i believe in loyalty and i believe that they should stick with the guy that played a huge hand--second to Kobe--in 2 championships. the Spurs didn't give up on Tony after his '04 choke job. it's stupid to just give up on a guy that has helped you win championships.

and you can attibute his uninspired ball to more than Kobe. he may have just lost some of his competitve edge after winning two in-a-row. i'm not ready to say he can't/doesn't want to play with Kobe until i hear it. if that is indeed the case, then of course you try and trade him. maybe he brushes it off, maybe it doesn't. we'll see.

as far as Barnes. i personally think he's an end of the bench guy. if he's playing big minutes in the playoffs for your team, you're probably not a championship team. he's had a lot of bad playoff no shows as well.

LA needs to address their perimter/point guard defense, 3-point shooting, and pg position. trading for Howard will not fix any of those fatal problems.

Spurtacus
05-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Smart tweet by Dwight. Man's gotta enjoy his summer.

NewJerSpur
05-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Doc Rivers and CP3>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Stan Van and Jameer Nelson

TIME TO UPGRADE OTIS!!