PDA

View Full Version : The subject of mental toughness

HornetLoveJones
05-09-2011, 09:39 PM
We've heard all series long about Pau Gasol and his "off court issues", whether it's true or not surrounding the dumping of Gasol by his long time gf due to Yoko Bryant getting her b*tch vibes out again (remember Malone in 2004 and Glen Rice in 2000??) that's for another discussion though. I just want to think over examples of when NBA players have things that hover around them emotionally yet they come to play.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mentally tough

1996 - Orlando Magic Center Shaquille O'Neal returns to his team after a week of mourning the death of his grandmother and score 21 points in a losing effort to the Bulls despite not touching a basketball for 6 days.

QRWWmrOVaOU

2003 - Lakers shooting guard Kobe Bryant took to the court after flying midday from a trail in Eagle, CO to LA for a home game against the Nuggets to score 13 points 5 assists including the game winner.

tX7C4RWhdgo

2007 - Utah Jazz backup point guard Derek Fisher returned to Utah for game 2 against the Warriors in the Western Conference Semifinals without practice was inserted into the game with Deron Williams in foul trouble to guard Baron Williams at the end of regulation and then hit the pivotal 3 pointer to seal the game in overtime.

PWerZsJqZAY

2009 - Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki faced elimination in Game 4 in the playoffs against the Denver Nuggets in the Western Conference Semifinals after his team was down 0-3 but the real story was the off court drama which involved the arrest of Nowitzki's fiancee Crystal Taylor who had been the suspect in scams, had 8 warrants against her and the allegations of a pregnancy (proved later to be false) Nowitzki took to the court in game 4 and staved off elimination with a 44 point 13 rebound performance. Nowitzki was also the only positive sign for the Mavericks in that series averaging 34.4 points and 11.6 Rebounds.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nowitdi01/gamelog/2009/
VkdlYl7qbNE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mentally soft?

2007 - Cleveland Cavaliers all star Lebron James finished the regular season with averages of 27.3 pts. 6.7 rbs. 6 asts. and led his team to the NBA finals against the San Antonio Spurs but the media was focused on the impending delivery of James' son and the question of whether the star would play in the Finals or be with his girlfriend took national stage. Perhaps the nerves and off court distractions proved to be too much for James as his production fell off across the board and only watched the Spurs win their fourth championship with a clean sweep. James had averaged 22 pts. and 6.25 turnovers in the losing efforts.

2011 - Los Angeles Lakers Forward Pau Gasol has been pointed the finger at for the stunning sweep of the Lakers by the Dallas Mavericks due to his declining production in the entire series. In contrast to Dirk Nowitzki who is receiving national praise for his play in the Semifinals Gasol has seen his numbers dip to a career low level in the playoffs and in the process lost his potential credential as the 'best power forward in the game today' against the man who swept his team out of the playoffs in Nowitzki and in the process put up a personal 8-0 record against the Spaniard.

Any other examples of this? Mind you we're only focusing on mental or emotional situations not physical limits (i.e Jordan flu game, Rondo's dislocated arm return)

Giuseppe
05-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Everybody has battles they fight every day.

DMC
05-09-2011, 09:47 PM
There are countless examples of having good games after hardships, and examples of having bad games after hardships. I don't consider either a real sign of a "mentally tough" player. For Pau, his relationship may have meant more than the life of his parents.

HornetLoveJones
05-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Speaking of mental toughness there was one timeout in late in the 4th quarter where the camera was focused on Durant and Ibaka and their slumped posture coupled with the defeated looks on their faces with the game just tied told me who was going to win in OT.

Venti Quattro
05-24-2011, 05:11 AM
How could you leave out The Flu game? Not only was that mentally tough, that was physically tough..................well unless I haven't read that Jordan is exempted

Another tough performance from Kobe was when he dropped 30+ on the Kings right after a court trial in Colorado on the same day

Capt Bringdown
05-24-2011, 06:21 AM
David Robinson: After completing his service to his country, the Admiral leads the Spurs to the greatest single season turnaround in NBA history.

Muser
05-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Who's Baron Williams

Venti Quattro
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Mentally tough: Games 5 to 7, 1st Round 2006 Phoenix Suns

Mentally soft: their opponents

ALVAREZ6
05-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Mentally weak: Russell Westbrook-dude always blows games down the stretch in very childish manor.

Emotional barrier: constant awareness/knowledge of the female genitalia he was born with, has proved too much to handle for him as he performs terribly and throws temper-tantrums while doing so.

HornetLoveJones
05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
How could you leave out The Flu game? Not only was that mentally tough, that was physically tough..................well unless I haven't read that Jordan is exempted

http://i.imm.io/5T44.png

:wakeup