PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popovich - Contract

PeterBurns
05-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Quick question, and figure you guys would know.
Does Popovich have a rolling contract? When is it up?

Thanks

ChuckD
05-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Pop's contract is up when he decides to leave.

Pauleta14
05-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Holt said in pre-season that when Pop told him he could become a consultant for the spurs, he answered him "I don't need a consultant, I need a coach!", that was the end of the discusion...

SenorSpur
05-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Holt said in pre-season that when Pop told him he could become a consultant for the spurs, he answered him "I don't need a consultant, I need a coach!", that was the end of the discusion...

Love that response from HoltCat.

TJastal
05-10-2011, 01:06 PM

:rolleyes

Holt=buffoon

Gotta give Pop credit, he's smart enough to know his strength isn't coaching. He'd be a great consultant / GM / talent scout though.

cheguevara
05-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Love that response from HoltCat.

why? This shows even Pop himself was not sure of himself as coach.

Pauleta14
05-10-2011, 04:30 PM
As bad as Pop was, I'm can't name any coach who could have won 61 games with that roster...

when you think about it, no centers, no wings, no back up PG...:bang

Tony and Manu hot start of the RS and the raining 3s just blinded (most of) us.

I don't think any coach is perfect, we have to take the "whole package", not only the good/convenient part.

People who wants Pop to leave don't realise what the spurs would lose (and I'm not talking about Bonner!:lol)...

TJastal
05-11-2011, 12:15 AM
As bad as Pop was, I'm can't name any coach who could have won 61 games with that roster...

when you think about it, no centers, no wings, no back up PG...:bang

Tony and Manu hot start of the RS and the raining 3s just blinded (most of) us.

I don't think any coach is perfect, we have to take the "whole package", not only the good/convenient part.

People who wants Pop to leave don't realise what the spurs would lose (and I'm not talking about Bonner!:lol)...

And you know what, Pauleta? That's probably a good thing that no other coach would have coached this team to 61 regular seaosn wins. A good coach would have developed and worked Tiago Splitter into the starting lineup, which probably would have cost the spurs a number of games. But it would have been worth it in the end.

I'm not gonna sit here and applaud the fact that Pop abandoned the most important principle of playoff basketball (size) in order to cash it in for regular season victories. Nobody is gonna remember that, they are only going to remember the spurs getting thumped in the 1st round by an 8th seed.

And let's not forget the spurs had an extraordinary run of good health combined with the unparalleled misfortune of other teams for what seemed like weeks at a time. And as the season wound down, we started to see that facade slowly coming apart.

Sean Cagney
05-11-2011, 12:41 AM
He said the day Tim retires he will as well! That might be his humor as usual but I can see that as well happening truthfully.

DMC
05-11-2011, 01:10 AM
Pop won't retire until he's without an option. It's too much money, too posh a lifestyle to just walk away from. So what he has to get the best seat in the house for big games, or he gets to make decisions and tell young players what to do, or to fly around on corporate jets with double wide leather seats and eat gourmet food...

I don't ever buy the "I am tired of it" BS. If they were tired of it, they've been rich for years and could retire anytime. It's tons of money and free living. I wouldn't quit.

jjktkk
05-11-2011, 03:33 AM
And you know what, Pauleta? That's probably a good thing that no other coach would have coached this team to 61 regular seaosn wins. A good coach would have developed and worked Tiago Splitter into the starting lineup, which probably would have cost the spurs a number of games. But it would have been worth it in the end.

I'm not gonna sit here and applaud the fact that Pop abandoned the most important principle of playoff basketball (size) in order to cash it in for regular season victories. Nobody is gonna remember that, they are only going to remember the spurs getting thumped in the 1st round by an 8th seed.

And let's not forget the spurs had an extraordinary run of good health combined with the unparalleled misfortune of other teams for what seemed like weeks at a time. And as the season wound down, we started to see that facade slowly coming apart.

Your size beats all theory was throw out the window when the Lakers got swept by the Mavs tbh.

temujin
05-11-2011, 03:43 AM
Pop won't retire until he's without an option. It's too much money, too posh a lifestyle to just walk away from. So what he has to get the best seat in the house for big games, or he gets to make decisions and tell young players what to do, or to fly around on corporate jets with double wide leather seats and eat gourmet food...

I don't ever buy the "I am tired of it" BS. If they were tired of it, they've been rich for years and could retire anytime. It's tons of money and free living. I wouldn't quit.

It's not for the money or for the other benefits. he could have that by being retired, no difference.
It's because untill you are in charge, you are still alive.

temujin
05-11-2011, 03:48 AM

Hold on.
It's not because they were eliminated in the first round that the season was all garbage.
The December and January Spurs played some of the best baskeball in the franchise history, and as far as I remember, in basketball history offense-wise. Some of the games should shown in clinics on how to actually play TEAM BASKETBALL.
In some games, even defensively.
They just did it at the wrong time.

Timing is everthing in life.

TJastal
05-11-2011, 05:24 AM
Your size beats all theory was throw out the window when the Lakers got swept by the Mavs tbh.

Grasp at straws much?

The mavs needed both their 7 footers in the starting lineup (Nowitszki & Chandler), plus another 7 footer off the bench just to keep relatively even on the glass. And considering Marion & Stojachovich both at 6'9 played huge at SF in the series in terms of being active on the boards and defending in the paint I'd say they not only had plenty of size to match up with the lakers, but they were well served by having that size.

TJastal
05-11-2011, 05:42 AM
Hold on.
It's not because they were eliminated in the first round that the season was all garbage.
The December and January Spurs played some of the best baskeball in the franchise history, and as far as I remember, in basketball history offense-wise. Some of the games should shown in clinics on how to actually play TEAM BASKETBALL.

It really has nothing at all to do with timing. Pop built a team that would be great in the regular season and fizzle out in the playoffs.

Key components of said team:

1. Give Tim Duncan no help on the interior, so when intensity and ruggedness gets jacked up in the playoffs, he's gotta not only hold down the fort defensively by himself, but somehow give the team a dependable offensive option. All of which was asking too much.

2. Structure offense around 3pt shooting, and pray teams don't key on the shooters.

3. Rely on Matt Bonner for 20+ minutes in a playoff game

4. Rely on Matt Bonner for 20+ minutes in a playoff game

Nathan89
05-11-2011, 06:50 AM
Hold on.

If I were giving a clinic on team basketball I would show them footage of Memphis. That team plays some of the best team basketball that I can recall. Everybody is cutting,defending,passing to the appropriate person,etc... I would not say the same things about the Spurs,tbh.

As for Gregg..

He messed up bigtime by not playing Splitter in the regular season. He realized that after game 1 of the playoffs but chose to wait till game 4 to play Splitter. Tbh, I don't trust the capabilites of Pop being the head coach of the Spurs. I don't care how many championships he has won this obviously bad decision making is alarming.

To top it off he gave the ok on the Rj extension. Gregg making to many mistakes IMO and he's lucky I am not the owner.

ChuckD
05-11-2011, 07:16 AM
If I were giving a clinic on team basketball I would show them footage of Memphis. That team plays some of the best team basketball that I can recall. Everybody is cutting,defending,passing to the appropriate person,etc... I would not say the same things about the Spurs,tbh.

As for Gregg..

He messed up bigtime by not playing Splitter in the regular season. He realized that after game 1 of the playoffs but chose to wait till game 4 to play Splitter. Tbh, I don't trust the capabilites of Pop being the head coach of the Spurs. I don't care how many championships he has won this obviously bad decision making is alarming.

To top it off he gave the ok on the Rj extension. Gregg making to many mistakes IMO and he's lucky I am not the owner.

TBH, without that extension cutting RJ's salary from $15M to $8M, we don't bring Splitter in, and we don't sign Neal, and maybe they roll the dice on letting Parker play out his deal instead of locking him up. Nothing exists in a vacuum. All of those deals were interconnected.

Nathan89
05-11-2011, 07:24 AM
TBH, without that extension cutting RJ's salary from $15M to $8M, we don't bring Splitter in, and we don't sign Neal, and maybe they roll the dice on letting Parker play out his deal instead of locking him up. Nothing exists in a vacuum. All of those deals were interconnected.

Correct me if I am wrong but once Rj opted out of the contract the Spurs didn't have to resign him. They simply should not have resigned him. That easy.

TJastal
05-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but once Rj opted out of the contract the Spurs didn't have to resign him. They simply should not have resigned him. That easy.

But that just wouldn't have been proper. Especially considering the banner year RJ had in '09 and also all that work he had to do over the summer which necessitated a much deserved European vacation with the boys.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-11-2011, 08:54 AM
You do realize RJ would never have opted out without a pre-arranged deal on the table, don't you?

Pauleta14
05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
You do realize RJ would never have opted out without a pre-arranged deal on the table, don't you?

this.

but I would still have prefered him with his last 15M$ year, at least he could have attrack interest for cap space...

TJastal
05-11-2011, 09:26 AM

And right on cue we have the mythical "pre-arranged deal" the pop lovers cling to like Bonner and his favorite sandwich.

I imagine the conversation must have went something like this....

RJ: I want to explore my options, see if NY or NJ can make me a good offer, then I'm outta this craphole. But if it doesn't work out I want a long term deal totaling 40 million... with a player option included case I can't stand ya y'alls candy asses.

Pop: Sure thing, Richard. We're just happy that you're considering us. We want you to be happy, Richard.

RJ: Don't get all happy snappy n' shit. I'm might be outta this shithole next week. You just have that contract ready for me to sign when I get back to this dump next week.

Pop: Sure thing Richard. I'll have that contract typed up immediately and ready for you signature. We look forward to your return to our .. err.. city.

RJ: (thinking to himself) hahaha... I just robbed deez biches lol.

Pauleta14
05-11-2011, 09:27 AM
He said the day Tim retires he will as well! That might be his humor as usual but I can see that as well happening truthfully.

That was a couple year ago...

Since then, Manu and Tony have resigned. I can't imagine them not asking a garanty that Pop will stay...

I remember him saying that he owes it to them... (I think it was after tp's extention)

Pauleta14
05-11-2011, 09:32 AM
And right on cue we have the mythical "pre-arranged deal" the pop lovers cling to like Bonner and his favorite sandwich.

RJ: I want to explore my options, see if NY or NJ can make me a good offer, then I'm outta this craphole. But if it doesn't work out I want a long term deal totaling 40 million... with a player option included case I can't stand ya y'alls candy asses.

Pop: Sure thing, Richard. We're just happy that you're considering us. We want you to be happy, Richard.

RJ: Don't get all happy snappy n' shit. I'm might be outta this shithole next week. You just have that contract ready for me to sign when I get back to this dump next week.

Pop: Sure thing Richard. I'll have that contract typed up immediately and ready for you signature. We look forward to your return to our .. err.. city.

You really don't think it's possible??!

I mean RJ is bad on the floor, but he is (seems) a smat personn...

Why in the hell would he opt out of a 15m$ deal, KNOWING he is overpaid for his actual level?????

If that's not the case, Pop just overestimated himself and his capacity of turnig RJ into the player he needed... what a fail it would be!!

I still beleive in the 1st option though...

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-11-2011, 09:32 AM

I'd imagine it was more like :

Holt : Pop, get under the tax threshold whatever it takes.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-11-2011, 09:35 AM
this.

but I would still have prefered him with his last 15M$ year, at least he could have attrack interest for cap space...

Maybe, but that would have left the Spurs way over the lux tax threshold with all the possible consequences of it , i.e. not being able to sign Splitter, Anderson, Neal, having to trade someone, not extending Tony, etc. It's all speculation, however, RJ getting a pre-arranged deal before opting out of $15 mil, is about as certain as death and taxes.

Pauleta14
05-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Asbad as the spurs were, they weren't that far from winning the 1st round...

- 1st game without Manu and we could still have won it EASILY

- 4th game at memphis and that 3pter by Zbo...

Again, Memphis played their best BB and the spurs one of their worst I've seen...

You can't just through everything at the window because we lost!

CONFIDENCE is a big part in success, when you lose it, it's very hard/ impossible to get it back on time.

Something just broke during Duncan injury, especially in the belief Manu and Tony had in their teamates...:bang:bang

Pauleta14
05-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Maybe, but that would have left the Spurs way over the lux tax threshold with all the possible consequences of it , i.e. not being able to sign Splitter, Anderson, Neal, having to trade someone, not extending Tony, etc. It's all speculation, however, RJ getting a pre-arranged deal before opting out of $15 mil, is about as certain as death and taxes.

:toast

I didn't think about that, but honestly, HOW RICH IS PETER HOLT???

Can't he just for 1 more year assume the lux tax??

I know it's a lot of money, but come on, wasn't Luis Scola a good enough lesson that sometimes you have to spend some more money?? (btw that's what Pop and RC tald Holt a year ago to convince him to trade fro RJ...)

TJastal
05-11-2011, 10:02 AM
:toast

I didn't think about that, but honestly, HOW RICH IS PETER HOLT???

Can't he just for 1 more year assume the lux tax??

I know it's a lot of money, but come on, wasn't Luis Scola a good enough lesson that sometimes you have to spend some more money?? (btw that's what Pop and RC tald Holt a year ago to convince him to trade fro RJ...)

+1

I think its pretty ridiculous for an owner who has probably netted the most playoff revenue in the past decade of any major sports team can't spring one friggin year on luxury tax in order to get rid of a bad fit (Jefferson). It was a nice try, but it didn't work out though, and that's life. At least its only one year of a bad contract, and there are much worse contracts out there.

And really, not resigning Bonner would have shaved 3m + 3m tax off that amount (as well as open up a rotation spot for Splitter). So the final tax Holt would have paid wouldn't have been back breaking.

Sucks we have ultra penny pincher Peter Holt who won't spend a thing on tax and is willing to cripple the franchise to pinch a few pennies while the crosstown rival has an owner who regularily spends past the cap despite having teams that have done far less. Two extremes to be sure, surely there must be some middle ground here.

DMC
05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
It's not for the money or for the other benefits. he could have that by being retired, no difference.
It's because untill you are in charge, you are still alive.

Wow I didn't know salaries are still paid after they retire.

The rest of that makes no sense.

jjktkk
05-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Grasp at straws much?

The mavs needed both their 7 footers in the starting lineup (Nowitszki & Chandler), plus another 7 footer off the bench just to keep relatively even on the glass. And considering Marion & Stojachovich both at 6'9 played huge at SF in the series in terms of being active on the boards and defending in the paint I'd say they not only had plenty of size to match up with the lakers, but they were well served by having that size.

Being 7ft tall is nice, but there are quite a few 7 footers out there. You constantly harp about Pop's refusal to have integrated Splitter into the rotation, but Splitter, while showing some nice defensive skills and some nice moves in the post, is still a work in progress, and is not ready to be the Spur's savior that you seem to think he is. As far as the Lakers Mavs series, the hero of that series, besides Dirk, was JJ Barea, who consistantly scorched the Lakers twin towers, something that the Spur's Parker was unable to do againt Memphis, but hey, I'm sure you think that was Pops fault too.

ChuckD
05-11-2011, 06:48 PM
For those of you bitching about the Lux Tax:

The four former ABA teams, SA, NJ, DEN, and IND, have their TV shares split into 5 parts. As a part of the agreement to dissolve the ABA and merge, those 5 shares are paid to the 4 teams, plus the heirs/designates of the owners of the former St Louis Spirits, forever. Those four teams are playing with one arm tied behind their backs, financially.

Nathan89
05-11-2011, 09:35 PM

The four former ABA teams, SA, NJ, DEN, and IND, have their TV shares split into 5 parts. As a part of the agreement to dissolve the ABA and merge, those 5 shares are paid to the 4 teams, plus the heirs/designates of the owners of the former St Louis Spirits, forever. Those four teams are playing with one arm tied behind their backs, financially.

Well lets just hope the Spurs can get a new (Mark Cuban like) owner.:greedy

Nathan89
05-11-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/richard-jeffersonl-leaves-san-antonio-spurs

This old article is full of unfortunate fail.

Libri
05-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Well lets just hope the Spurs can get a new (Mark Cuban like) owner.:greedy

or a Russian oligarch :bling

temujin
05-12-2011, 07:56 AM
Wow I didn't know salaries are still paid after they retire.

The rest of that makes no sense.

I guess you probably don't know what it is like having made $100 millions over the last 15 years or so.
"Their" grandsons and grandaugthers could do that day in day out after their granpas are long gone.
:lol:lol:lol

temujin
05-12-2011, 07:58 AM

Interesting.

TJastal
05-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Being 7ft tall is nice, but there are quite a few 7 footers out there. You constantly harp about Pop's refusal to have integrated Splitter into the rotation, but Splitter, while showing some nice defensive skills and some nice moves in the post, is still a work in progress, and is not ready to be the Spur's savior that you seem to think he is. As far as the Lakers Mavs series, the hero of that series, besides Dirk, was JJ Barea, who consistantly scorched the Lakers twin towers, something that the Spur's Parker was unable to do againt Memphis, but hey, I'm sure you think that was Pops fault too.

And how do players transition from "work in progress" to "finished product"? Oh, right, by actually playing. Splitter got garbage time all year (if he was lucky). He did not learn much of anything if you ask me. This is not justification, this is a cop out.

As for your little tirade about Barea, I'd put most of the blame for that on Fisher and the fact the lakers have no one that can guard smaller, quicker players. Barea walted into the lane and broke down the laker defense repeatedly with almost no obstruction and scored (or dished) before any laker big could react. Again, you grasp at straws to justify Pop's decision. Carry on.

TJastal
05-12-2011, 08:47 AM

More like a pinkie strapped to the finger next to it.

jjktkk
05-12-2011, 04:41 PM
And how do players transition from "work in progress" to "finished product"? Oh, right, by actually playing. Splitter got garbage time all year (if he was lucky). He did not learn much of anything if you ask me. This is not justification, this is a cop out.

As for your little tirade about Barea, I'd put most of the blame for that on Fisher and the fact the lakers have no one that can guard smaller, quicker players. Barea walted into the lane and broke down the laker defense repeatedly with almost no obstruction and scored (or dished) before any laker big could react. Again, you grasp at straws to justify Pop's decision. Carry on.

Lol, grasp. Unless your at every Spurs practice and have seen up close the progress of Splitter and the coaches determination that Splitter can handle anything more than spot minutes, I will continue to think your nothing more than some poorly, confused, armchair coach. :toast

ChuckD
05-12-2011, 06:31 PM
More like a pinkie strapped to the finger next to it.

Your hatred has truly made you blind. The biggest part of every team's income is the TV money. It's tens of millions per year. You think getting only 80% of that is a pinkie strapped to the finger next to it? smh...

ChuckD
05-12-2011, 06:32 PM
And how do players transition from "work in progress" to "finished product"?

Here's a concept for you: some never do. In fact, with bigs, I'd even say most never do.