PDA

View Full Version : Buford goes to the head of GM class

Jimcs50
06-09-2005, 09:40 AM
June 9, 2005, 1:39AM

Buford goes to the head of GM class
By JOHN P. LOPEZ
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Shelby Metcalf, the folksy former Texas A&M basketball coach, used to talk about having the perfect offense for killing the last two minutes of a game. Just let R.C. Buford drive the baseline — that should take at least two minutes.

When Buford told that story years ago, he wanted it known that while he might not have been an integral part of the 1979-1981 era of "The Wall," the best basketball team the Aggies ever produced, he did play a role. His teammates were The Wall. He was the Four-Corner Offense.

That story is more appropriate now than ever. It says much about Buford's self-effacing nature and how he gets satisfaction from just being part of the team.

When talking about the personality of the San Antonio Spurs and the reason the entire organization stays humble, hungry and successful despite its long odds as a small-market team, it is impossible to ignore Buford anymore. The club's general manager is the epitome of what coach Gregg Popovich means when he talks about the Spurs' "demeanor."

Most basketball fans hardly know Buford's name. But another catch phrase the Spurs like to use is "getting over yourself." Buford got over himself years ago.

Ducking the limelight
Not too many people remember Buford's days with the Aggies, in part because they were brief — he wound up transferring to Oklahoma State and then graduated from Friends University in Wichita, Kan. — but mostly because Buford always has been comfortable as a role player. He always has been the basketball junkie in the background, the sidekick to some of the strongest personalities the NBA has known.

First, he punched his coaching card under Larry Brown, starting as a graduate assistant and coaching the Kansas junior varsity, then serving as an assistant when the Jayhawks won the 1988 NCAA championship.

Then, after serving under Brown in San Antonio, Buford slid to the management side of basketball while Popovich stepped front and center in all his quippy, wisecracking splendor.

Parker, Ginobili were plums
It is Popovich who is widely considered the architect of the franchise, particularly when it comes to leading-edge strategies in the draft and player development. But Buford is becoming difficult to ignore.

Name the most successful president or general manager in basketball over the past four years. It wouldn't be Jerry West. It wouldn't be Joe Dumars, Mitch Kupchak, Rod Thorn, Bryan Colangelo or Isiah Thomas, all of whom play much more high-profile roles.

It would be the guy who in his first year on the job, after working side by side with Popovich as assistant general manager, brought Tony Parker to San Antonio. The next year, the Spurs signed Manu Ginobili after drafting him nearly three years earlier.

Today, Parker and Ginobili are key cogs, All-Star talents not yet in their primes. Sure, Buford would be just another GM if not for Tim Duncan's greatness, but there is no question Parker and Ginobili have brought the Spurs into conversations about dynasties.

Buford also drafted rising point guard Beno Udrih and pulled the trigger on a trade of the extremely popular Malik Rose for Nazr Mohammed. It was a tough trade that had players and some in management anguishing and even crying, but it was one that made the Spurs better.

Aiming for title No. 3
Beginning tonight against the Pistons, the Spurs could be on their way toward their third title in seven seasons. As GM, Buford has seen San Antonio average 59 wins and never miss the Western Conference semifinals.

When the subject of the Spurs' success comes up, Buford shrugs and jokes.

"We're not that smart," he says.

But look at their roster, and you would think otherwise. Popovich and Buford won't share details about philosophies when it comes to player acquisitions, but it has become clear that no one works the draft and European leagues better.

Their successful formula revolves more around late picks than early ones. Everybody knows the sure things coming out of college. Everyone knows the can't-miss high school talents.

But what Buford has spearheaded is an effort to scout the foreign players more and scout them better, using Europe as a kind of Class AAA system for evaluation.

A typical second-round pick out of a major Division I college may or may not pan out. In just four months after the June draft, teams must evaluate that player and decide whether there is a place in the team's future for him. The Spurs, however, have mastered the art of using a late pick to draft a well-scouted young talent whom they feel will improve.

The Spurs usually allow the player to remain in a European league for up to three years, evaluating him and following his progress much more thoroughly than they would an American college talent.

Doing it the right way
Neither do the Spurs have to waste a roster spot for a high schooler who is developing into an NBA contributor.

Parker and Ginobili became huge stars, but those were anything but lucky draft picks. Udrih has arrived sooner than the Spurs thought, but his acquisition, too, was the product of Buford and Popovich's doing things right.

Now, all indications are that 2002 second-round pick Luis Scola of Argentina, a 6-9 forward with Ginobili's tenaciousness, will be ready to step in next year. And 2004 second-round pick Sergei Karaulov of Russia, 23, a 7-foot center, is playing in Uzbekistan while the Spurs evaluate him from afar.

The more Popovich and Buford say they're not that smart, the more obvious it becomes they are.

[email protected]

Jimcs50
06-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Spurs' Duncan hoping to win another ring

By GREG BEACHAM
AP Sports Writer

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- On a fundamentally flawless summer day in 1997, Tim Duncan and Gregg Popovich reclined on the white sands of St. Croix to discuss life, basketball and their future together. Neither the inexperienced coach nor his new No. 1 draft pick dared to imagine their next eight years in San Antonio would include MVP awards for Duncan, widespread acclaim for Popovich - and two championships with an imminent chance for a third in this season's NBA Finals, beginning with Game 1 on Thursday night.

Duncan - with his once-in-a-generation combination of skill, athleticism, work ethic and genuine decency - immediately turned the Spurs into contenders and, in 1999, champions. The Detroit Pistons are the only remaining obstacle to The Big Fundamental's latest addition to a resume that could someday distinguish him as the greatest power forward in NBA history.

But such heights were far from his mind during his meeting with Popovich, who had gone 17-47 after replacing Bob Hill midway through the 1996-97 season. Popovich and the Spurs desperately needed Duncan to be their savior, and the genial Wake Forest star didn't plan to disappoint.

"I honestly didn't know what to expect," Duncan said Wednesday. "I knew I had a great opportunity to learn with David (Robinson). I had no idea that at this point in my career I would have an opportunity to try for a third championship. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined that.

"That's why I appreciate and I love being in this situation now, because I know it's not always going to be here."

Popovich recalled flying to see Duncan on his home Caribbean island "just to see if we got along or see if we clicked at all."

"He really hasn't changed much since then," Popovich added. "He's basically an introverted, quite humorous, highly intelligent, easygoing guy who has gotten over himself. He's not that impressed with himself. He just likes playing ball, and he goes home and does whatever he does. That's him."

These finals are a critical point in Duncan's career for another reason: He is trying for his first championship without Robinson by his side. Duncan was the MVP of his two previous finals appearances, but Robinson's dependable veteran leadership were keys to the Spurs' consistent excellence.

These days, just four Spurs remain on the roster from their 2003 title season, also Robinson's last. Though the players praise Popovich for his evenhanded leadership and structured environment, San Antonio still needs the locker room leadership Duncan quietly provides.

"Every year, he's taken on more responsibility - talking to people, letting people know what he's feeling and what we need to do, just steadily," Popovich said. "It's been a couple of years since David's been gone, and he's gotten really good at it."

When the Spurs traded Malik Rose, Duncan's close friend, earlier in the season, new arrival Nazr Mohammed wondered how he would be treated. He didn't wonder for long.

"When I got here, he embraced me as a teammate, and it wasn't superficial," Mohammed said. "It was genuine. He knew the business of it, and he wanted to see what type of guy I was. We have a good relationship."

The finals could turn on Duncan's success against the Pistons' defense, which will do everything possible to force the other Spurs to beat them. Fouling Duncan seems to be a good idea, given his periodic problems at the line - but coach Larry Brown's Pistons, with champions' supreme confidence, believe they can come up with something better.

"If we work together, we think we can guard anybody," said Ben Wallace, the NBA Defensive Player of the Year. "Tim is still going to score, but you try to make him do it uncomfortably. Pop does a good job of getting the ball to him in places where he can control their offense and get his own shots."

Even after eight years together, Popovich still is experimenting with ways to use Duncan. Last season, the Spurs slightly cut Duncan's minutes and ran different offensive sets to keep their star fresh - but that strategy was aborted this season, with Duncan getting big minutes and touching the ball on more possessions than ever.

Duncan has risen to that challenge with more of the quiet ferocity that has defined his career and his postseason efforts. Spurs forward Robert Horry, who knows a few things about playoff pressure, believes Duncan matches up with the most successful big men of his era - even with the next chapter still in progress.

"All great players, all the great big men - Hakeem (Olajuwon), Shaq, Patrick (Ewing) - they all step up in the playoffs," Horry said. "He's been stepping up like that for years. I know years I went against him, he always did the same thing, and I think his focus is better now."

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Jimcs50
06-09-2005, 09:48 AM
June 9, 2005, 1:38AM

Spurs, Pistons series to be rough-and-tumble action
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

SAN ANTONIO — Look around. Like the Pistons and Spurs, most people aren't pretty, either.

What's wrong with that? And who's to say what is beautiful anyway?

Crowds will still cheer uncontested dunks. Announcers will still scream about open 3-pointers that make the nets dance. ABC will still focus on Eva Longoria rather than the Spurs fans in the row in front of the Desperate Housewives looker frequently found on Tony Parker's arm.

So welcome to the NBA Finals of the Pistons and Spurs, the Finals in which substance is celebrated over style, the championship series in which ugly is beautiful.

"This league has built itself on the offensive end, but usually the teams that win are the ones that get stops when they need them and make plays when they need them on both ends of the floor," Pistons center Ben Wallace said. "It's no accident that we're here.

"We just come out and play basketball. It does not always have to be pretty."

The Suns and their spectacular offense led by pretty guard Steve Nash are gone. The Heat, led by Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade, known as "Flash" and one of People magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People, have been eliminated.

The Spurs and Pistons, on the other hand, provide a Finals matchup that San Antonio forward Robert Horry said can be celebrated "if you're a basketball person and you know about basketball."

Beginning tonight at the SBC Center, the Finals will pit the two most recent champions for the first time since 1987, when the defending champion Celtics lost to the 1985 champion Lakers.

The series also matches the league's top two defensive teams, the first Finals meeting of the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in points allowed since the Knicks beat the Lakers for the 1970 championship.

After a Western Conference showdown against Phoenix in which the Spurs were happy to be "chameleons" and transform themselves to win with the Suns' flashy style, San Antonio now is likely to play in shades of beige.

Blue-collar series
"I think that's what they worry about up there in the (NBA) office," Pistons forward Rasheed Wallace said. "Down there in Miami, you have what you call the Flash, D-Wade. He's a pretty flashy player — a good, young player. Shaq draws that attention because he's Shaq. In this series, there's no real stars. It's team units.

"To the basketball fan who knows basketball, it will be a good series. If you're looking for flashy dunks and all that stuff, it's the wrong series. Breakaway dunking, trying reverse dunks — we don't try any of that. We just go out there and play. Teams know when they come play us, they have to bring their hard hats and their lunch. It's going to be a long fight. There's no media darlings on our team. We just play basketball."

There are the assorted subplots that would seem worthy of some attention. There is the coaching matchup of the Pistons' Larry Brown and the Spurs' Gregg Popovich, the best man at Brown's wedding who was brought to the NBA and San Antonio by Brown.

There is the defensive matchup of Rasheed Wallace on Tim Duncan, rivals since their Atlantic Coast Conference days. The Pistons' leading scorer, Richard Hamilton, goes against the Spurs' most accomplished defender, Bruce Bowen.

There are seven of the top 16 vote-getters for the all-defensive team, including three first-teamers plus second-teamer Tayshaun Price.

"I'm going to try to stay away from that phrase that got really old last year, so I'm not going to say 'the right way,' " Popovich said. "I think both teams predicate what they do on defense; they are pretty demanding in that sense. I think they are both good examples of the parts creating a whole that works, having pieces that fit — some pieces talented, some pieces not so talented, but the whole allows it to happen because of those pieces.

"So I think in that sense, it's fun to watch how it comes together. But the other part of it is I think both teams have individuals that are really fun to watch."

The similarities are in philosophies and priorities. Both teams emphasize defense, sharing the ball and shot selection. Both run more than advertised but usually only to fast-break layups rather than early offense. Both are loath to take early, contested shots. The Pistons take few 3-pointers, and the Spurs also do not rely on 3s.

One for the purists
But in whatever they do, the champions of the last two Finals do it better than the rest of the NBA.

"I think it will be a good series," said Pistons guard Lindsey Hunter, considered perhaps the toughest on-the-ball defender in the league. "True basketball enthusiasts who know how the game should be played — I think they will love it. Other people that want, you know, the star-studded, all of the underlying stories and all that, they probably won't be too intrigued. But ultimately, everybody will be entertained."

In its own way, beneath the surface, this series might even be beautiful.

[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBA Finals Summary
Cloak-and-dagger coach?
Spurs coach and president Gregg Popovich graduated from the Air Force Academy, majored in Soviet studies, speaks Russian, worked in Air Force intelligence and is reluctant to talk about himself.

That has led to some speculation about what Popovich did in the military

"He's an interesting guy," said former Spurs guard Steve Kerr. "He's interested in other things, like world politics. He has a military background. We really don't know what he did. ... I think he was a spy."

And how's this for intrigue: When Popovich started at the academy in 1973 as an assistant, he attended Pistons coach Larry Brown's camps.

European unions
San Antonio's Beno Udrih and Rasho Nesterovic will be the first Slovenians to play in the NBA Finals, while Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili are the first all-international starting backcourt to make it this far.

New dimension
Spurs forward Bruce Bowen is not the place holder on offense that he used to be.

In 2002-03, when San Antonio won its second NBA title, Bowen made 44 percent of his 3-point attempts, best in the league. His shooting is particularly accurate from the deep corners, and he has also developed a reliable pull-up jumper and gotten better at driving to the basket.

This season he averaged a career-best 8.2 points, and he hit 40 percent of his 3-pointers. In the playoffs, he's 16-for-38 (42 percent) behind the arc.

"I don't think you can leave him alone like you can maybe four years ago," said Spurs point guard Tony Parker. "If he's open and that's Detroit's strategy, we're going to try to look for him."

Back for more
The last two NBA champions are meeting in the finals for the first time since 1987, when the Celtics lost to the Lakers.

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 10:10 AM
These first two articles are already posted in other threads (and they are titled correctly :lol) but I'll let it go.

Jimcs50
06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
These first two articles are already posted in other threads (and they are titled correctly :lol) but I'll let it go.

Kori, I have been the Houston Chronicle correspondent in this forum for years. I have been posting those articles because I actually get the paper delivered every morning, and when I read something good about the Spurs, I have been letting you guys read it too, so who stole my job from me???

:flipoff

Kori Ellis
06-09-2005, 11:43 AM
so who stole my job from me???

Me.

I posted both article before I went to bed at around 5am. Sorry. :lol

Jimcs50
06-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Me.

I posted both article before I went to bed at around 5am. Sorry. :lol

Well, I will give you quarter since it is your birthday....but after today...leave the Houston Chronicle to me...it is my only job that I have had the last 5 yrs in here, so throw me a bone, and let me do it when I am in town. I promise I will not fall down on the job, ok? But I will not do it at 5am...that is just way too freaking early for us common folk.

:)