PDA

View Full Version : Was Pop scared?

Horse
05-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Why did Pop really play the starters against phoenix and not la? Was he afraid of the mental effect it would have if we lost? Like giving them confidence against us and making us question if we could beat la. I thought it when it happend but hoped he would never be afraid of an opponent. Ofcourse it does'nt matter now. But if he was and Manu was hurt because of it then he cost us our chance. Although he would've eventually cost us anyway.

stxspurs
05-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Took u this long to think about that? Lol irrelevant imo

cantthinkofanything
05-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Why did Pop really play the starters against phoenix and not la? Was he afraid of the mental effect it would have if we lost? Like giving them confidence against us and making us question if we could beat la. I thought it when it happend but hoped he would never be afraid of an opponent. Ofcourse it does'nt matter now. But if he was and Manu was hurt because of it then he cost us our chance. Although he would've eventually cost us anyway.

It was just another case of incomplete thinking and cloudy strategy from Pop.

hater
05-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Stupid strategy if you really think about it.

A free scrimmage vs. the lakers doesn't come often. Yes. He was scared.

TJastal
05-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Poppycock didn't want to crush the poor lakers' spirits when they were down. Thankfully, the mavs showed some balls and finished the job.

Hopefully, all this laker butt kissing Pop does will pay off in an off season trade.

Fireball
05-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Pop clearly stated that he wanted to play the starters in only one of the back-to-games. He chose Phoenix because this game was nearer to the first playoff game (but still three days of rest). Before Manu got injured 90% thought this strategy was good and I still think so. Pop makes mistakes like playing Bonner over Splitter, but this was not one of them.

TJastal
05-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Pop clearly stated that he wanted to play the starters in only one of the back-to-games. He chose Phoenix because this game was nearer to the first playoff game (but still three days of rest). Before Manu got injured 90% thought this strategy was good and I still think so. Pop makes mistakes like playing Bonner over Splitter, but this was not one of them.

I'm calling bullshit.

The strategy Pop employed in these last two games was very questionable for a number of reasons. IMHO what Pop should have done is since the spurs had a chance to wrap up #1 seed overall with a pair of victories was play the starters against the lakers and go for the throat (and really kick em when they were clearly down and struggling). You just don't throw away a chance at #1 seed overall when its so easily within reach. By not playing his starters in this game, he sent a message to his players (whether intentionally or not) that he's scared of the lakers. Not good, esp when there's a decent chance they would have met in the WCF.

For these reasons, you play your starters against the lakers and try for the win. If you win, you play again the next day against a struggling suns team and go for another win to lock in the #1 seed overall.

If you lose against the lakers playing your starters, then the equation changes, you then rest em in the last game and roll out the bench, since it won't matter anyway. So not only did Pop blow the #1 seed against the lakers and sabotage his own team's confidence in the process, he needlessly risked injury to his key players in the last game for no good reason. Which is utterly moronic IMO.

DesignatedT
05-10-2011, 01:55 PM
If you lose against the lakers playing your starters, then the equation changes, you then rest em in the last game and roll out the bench, since it won't matter anyway. So not only did Pop blow the #1 seed against the lakers and sabotage his own team's confidence in the process, he needlessly risked injury to his key players in the last game for no good reason. Which is utterly moronic IMO.

What do you mean since it wont matter anyway? Even if we lost to the Lakers we still had a chance at #1 overall so we would still play the starters @PHX.... When Manu went down against PHX we still had a shot at the #1 overall so he didn't necessarily risk injury to his key players "for no good reason".

If you would have rather played the starters against LA and then on a b2b against PHX then that is your opinion (dont know if it is wrong or right). IMO I would have rested both games and said fuck the 1 seed, but he elected to play 1 of the 2 games and picked PHX... but the PHX game wasn't meaningless... we were still technically in the race for the 1 seed overall

To blame Pop for Manu being brittle is retarded though.

InRareForm
05-10-2011, 02:03 PM
He was afraid of bynum doing a skitzo foul

cheguevara
05-10-2011, 02:03 PM
it's evident Pop was playing mind games. He's done that before sitting all players vs. Mavs and Suns in past years. It's all stupid CIA mind games.

this time it bit him in the ass

DesignatedT
05-10-2011, 02:09 PM
it's evident Pop was playing mind games. He's done that before sitting all players vs. Mavs and Suns in past years. It's all stupid CIA mind games.

this time it bit him in the ass

not sure what is so complicated for you... It was a B2B at the end of the year.... Pop didn't want to play both games for obvious reasons....he then was to pick 1 out of the 2 games..... the Lakers who are coming off a 7 or 8 games losing streak who play a very physical brand of ball or PHX who... well it's phoenix aka soft and likes to run..... Obviously the decision didn't work out but it wasn't some complicated "mind games" decision.

I would have sat the starters both games... some people would have played them both games.... but i can clearly see what pops reasoning was.

cheguevara
05-10-2011, 02:12 PM
not sure what is so complicated for you... It was a B2B at the end of the year.... Pop didn't want to play both games for obvious reasons....he then was to pick 1 out of the 2 games..... the Lakers who are coming off a 7 or 8 games losing streak who play a very physical brand of ball or PHX who... well it's phoenix aka soft and likes to run..... Obviously the decision didn't work out but it wasn't some complicated "mind games" decision.

I would have sat him both games... some people would have played them both games.... but i can clearly see what pop was trying to do.

wake up. He's done it before vs. Mavs and it pissed them off. He also did it vs. Phoenix a few years back.

Pop is known for his mind games. Hack a shaq ring a bell? Why is he even known as CIA Pop? come on :rolleyes

DesignatedT
05-10-2011, 02:16 PM
wake up. He's done it before vs. Mavs and it pissed them off. He also did it vs. Phoenix a few years back.

Pop is known for his mind games. Hack a shaq ring a bell? come on :rolleyes

I am not denying the fact that Pop has played mind games in the past but this wasn't one of them.

The Dallas situation in 2010 was so much different then this situation... apples to oranges my friend.

Hack a shaq? That was more of like a strategy to win the game and it's worked. Not sure what this has to do with resting older players before the playoffs begin.

cheguevara
05-10-2011, 02:17 PM
^ well then we gonna have to agree to disagree. Hack a shaq was mainly to fuck with shaq's head and disrupt the flow of the game which affects all players mentally.

I don't see why this situation was any different.

DesignatedT
05-10-2011, 02:23 PM
^ well then we gonna have to agree to disagree. Hack a shaq was mainly to fuck with shaq's head and disrupt the flow of the game which affects all players mentally.

I don't see why this situation was any different.

Hack a Shaq strategy was used because Shaqs career free throw percentage is 50%.

cheguevara
05-10-2011, 02:34 PM
Hack a Shaq strategy was used because Shaqs career free throw percentage is 50%.

The great philosopher Yogi Berra once said,"90% of this game is 50% mental." I think that when it comes to free throw shooting, Yogi was underestimating the mental aspects.

How is using your opponent's mental weakness to your advantage not a "mental game"?

TJastal
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM
What do you mean since it wont matter anyway? Even if we lost to the Lakers we still had a chance at #1 overall so we would still play the starters @PHX.... When Manu went down against PHX we still had a shot at the #1 overall so he didn't necessarily risk injury to his key players "for no good reason".

If you would have rather played the starters against LA and then on a b2b against PHX then that is your opinion (dont know if it is wrong or right). IMO I would have rested both games and said fuck the 1 seed, but he elected to play 1 of the 2 games and picked PHX... but the PHX game wasn't meaningless... we were still technically in the race for the 1 seed overall

To blame Pop for Manu being brittle is retarded though.

My bad. You're correct the spurs still had a chance at #1 by winning the suns' game, that was my error. Still doesn't change my opinion much on what Pop should have done. Still think he should have went all out against the lakers and try to get a win there which would have secured them a chance at the #1 (even with a suns' loss the next day).

Even resting his starters against the suns after a laker victory would have been a more feasible option IMO, since the spurs would have still gotten a 50/50 chance at home court through a random drawing (should both #1 seeds advance to the finals).

Come to think of it, your idea has merit as well. Rest em all both games and say to hell with the #1 seed. This way, there is no room for second guessing, its basically saying "I want my guys to be rested and injury free come playoff time". That would be a very feasible option as well.

So what have we learned? Pop had several good options at his disposal and he (once again) picked the worst one.

rmt
05-10-2011, 04:12 PM
IMO Pop rested the starters vs LA because he wanted to make absolutely sure that LA would not fall to the #4 seed and because he didn't want to tip his hand.

The way I see it - he should have either rested them for both games or if he wanted the #1 seed throughout, play them both games.

The safe bet (the one I would have taken) would be to rest them both games. Can't have too much rest if Duncan is 35 and Manu is 33. The risk was not worth the reward.

TD 21
05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
IMO Pop rested the starters vs LA because he wanted to make absolutely sure that LA would not fall to the #4 seed and because he didn't want to tip his hand.

The way I see it - he should have either rested them for both games or if he wanted the #1 seed throughout, play them both games.

The safe bet (the one I would have taken) would be to rest them both games. Can't have too much rest if Duncan is 35 and Manu is 33. The risk was not worth the reward.

Right, because all that rest they received all season really payed off in the playoffs, when they looked fresh and spry . . . Oh, wait. They didn't at all look fresh and spry. Some of that was match-up related, particularly in Duncan's case. He played against a much bigger, stronger, younger player and they played against a physical team overall. But still, they looked devoid of energy and once again, weren't fully healthy.

Perhaps even more so than the personnel, this may be the biggest reason why they more than likely won't win another championship in the Duncan era. It's conceivable that they could pull off a trade for Varejao, (if they're lucky) dump Jefferson and sign Batter, which would instantly make them better defensively and give them more size than they've had in some time. But if, when the playoffs roll around, Duncan and Ginobili, aren't fully healthy and/or don't have enough energy to play at a high level throughout the majority of most games, it won't matter.

diego
05-10-2011, 06:39 PM
Right, because all that rest they received all season really payed off in the playoffs, when they looked fresh and spry . . . Oh, wait. They didn't at all look fresh and spry. Some of that was match-up related, particularly in Duncan's case. He played against a much bigger, stronger, younger player and they played against a physical team overall. But still, they looked devoid of energy and once again, weren't fully healthy.

the tricky question is IMO, what is more important- rest to recover or a steady diet of minutes to build stamina? Perhaps the better strategy was to play the starters both games but less minutes. More than anything, I dont like that he sat them against the lakers, as i think it sends the wrong message to our players and theirs. He could have played our guys but still "throw" the game to lock them in the seed he wanted, but not playing them I think hurts our guys confidence and helps theirs. I also feel that pop has been using the rest strategy for several years without reaping much reward.

rmt
05-10-2011, 10:08 PM

Perhaps even more so than the personnel, this may be the biggest reason why they more than likely won't win another championship in the Duncan era. It's conceivable that they could pull off a trade for Varejao, (if they're lucky) dump Jefferson and sign Batter, which would instantly make them better defensively and give them more size than they've had in some time. But if, when the playoffs roll around, Duncan and Ginobili, aren't fully healthy and/or don't have enough energy to play at a high level throughout the majority of most games, it won't matter.

I think we're deceiving ourselves if we think that Pop's was resting Duncan so that he'd be fresh for the playoffs. How about the idea that a 34 year old with Duncan's mileage should only be playing 28 minutes in an 82 game season. That this is what he is now after being such a horse for 13-14 years. It's no coincidence that he looked great at the beginning of the series and got progressively worse as the series wore on.

IMO, they've accepted that this was the last year they could possibly win and are not going to change much (trades like Varejao or Battier) - just ride it out until TD and Manu retire. It's a shame that things turned out the way it did (Manu's injury, Pop not playing Splitter til game 4). Those 2 things probably would have turned the series the Spurs way. And with LA swept and Boston looking like they're about to lose, Spurs would have had a great chance. I've thought all season long that the Spurs didn't match up well with LA and BOS, but liked their chances against anyone else.

TD 21
05-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I think we're deceiving ourselves if we think that Pop's was resting Duncan so that he'd be fresh for the playoffs. How about the idea that a 34 year old with Duncan's mileage should only be playing 28 minutes in an 82 game season. That this is what he is now after being such a horse for 13-14 years. It's no coincidence that he looked great at the beginning of the series and got progressively worse as the series wore on.

IMO, they've accepted that this was the last year they could possibly win and are not going to change much (trades like Varejao or Battier) - just ride it out until TD and Manu retire. It's a shame that things turned out the way it did (Manu's injury, Pop not playing Splitter til game 4). Those 2 things probably would have turned the series the Spurs way. And with LA swept and Boston looking like they're about to lose, Spurs would have had a great chance. I've thought all season long that the Spurs didn't match up well with LA and BOS, but liked their chances against anyone else.

It was a combination of the two things, plus the fact that the Spurs were flat out able to get away with winning while he played limited minutes. The point is, whatever the reason(s), in the end, it didn't matter. And the same holds true for Ginobili and McDyess.

I suspect they'll look to utilize McDyess's partially guaranteed contract as part of a package to bring back a top three big, who's over 6-9. I suspect they'll also look into trading Jefferson. But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the projected top ten remains intact.

But that's the thing, though. How many years can injuries and bad luck be blamed for their demise? At some point, you have to concede that Ginobili, in particular, is just not able to make it through a season healthy. And even if healthy and with minutes managed, once the grind that is the playoffs start, do Duncan and Ginobili have the energy to play at a high level the vast majority of the time? That's more important than any realistic personnel moves they can make.

The Truth #6
05-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Most of Pop's mind games are played against himself. He really finds ways to overthink a situation.

DMC
05-11-2011, 01:12 AM
He wanted to get Manu hurt and to lose in the 1st round. That's the only reason that makes sense.

TJastal
05-11-2011, 01:30 AM
He wanted to get Manu hurt and to lose in the 1st round. That's the only reason that makes sense.

Of course you're right DMC. And he was even kind enough to let Hollins in on this plan too so Hollins could tank the last 4 games of the season.

Damn your brilliant.

100%duncan
05-11-2011, 01:32 AM
wow after almost a month for pete's sake stop it already

silverblk mystix
05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Pop has been scared for four or five seasons now...

This bullshit of always telling the fuckin' media that the lakers are the best team...that the lakers are the favorite, the champs,etc....

FUCK THAT SHIT!

Grow some fuckin' ballz and stop suckin' laker dick and being a fuckin' pussy and over-protecting pussy ass players....better yet....

RETIRE ALREADY...you lost your edge years ago...the last four years you tried to play FINLEY, BONNER, BOGANS, ....wtf?

Retire,retire,retire....

Spurs need new blood...if you think Manu and TP will stay healthy after playing this summer...you are deluded.